Graphics enchancement mod?

Post anything else Diablo II legacy related here but remember this ISN'T a hack site. All posts directly related to battle.net hacking will be deleted.
Question

Graphics enchancement mod?

Post by Question » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:34 am

Did anyone bother to make one for D2?

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Re: Graphics enchancement mod?

Post by Volf » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Enhanced graphics could mean a number of different things. There have been mods like d2 accelerator etc

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:42 pm

Let's face it, the graphics in Diablo II are already so cutting-edge and amazingly well done that there probably isnt any way they could be improved upon for the next 50 years. I'm astounded you'd be dissatisfied with the perfection that is Diablo II Graphics. :doh: :doh:

Question

Post by Question » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:38 pm

Well higher resolution game modes, sprites, etc. Usually popular older games get some kind of graphics mod done.

I played Freespace 2 with the graphics enchancement mod a while back and for an old game, the ships and beam effects are stunningly beautiful.

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Right, overhauling the graphics would be alot of work, though im pretty sure MetalStorm is going to have some major enhancements. I dunno about color depth but they are looking into resolution increase and such. It almost wouldn't surprise me to see all new animations and effects. MetalStorm is by far the most in-depth mod project i know of.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:49 pm

k0r3l1k" wrote:Right, overhauling the graphics would be alot of work, though im pretty sure MetalStorm is going to have some major enhancements. I dunno about color depth but they are looking into resolution increase and such. It almost wouldn't surprise me to see all new animations and effects. MetalStorm is by far the most in-depth mod project i know of.
You do? then you haven't looked very hard :)

In member forum there have been resolution increase mod for 1.10.

You can't enhance the game without rewrite the engine from scratch and implement true highcolor. Just "enchance" the resolution wont do the work. It will only make everything either look very tinny or odd. You need to redo every single graphics to make it look good (this means you have more work to do, than you can complete in your lifetime. Good luck on replace every single char anim). This is not a 3d engine where you can just increase polygons e.tc to make it look better.

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:37 am

I'm aware of how the graphics system works. In Fact i have replaced a character class with totally new animations, granted i didn't break them down into layers but considering the process took just under 3 weeks it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to create entirely new character animations for each class. Aside from that it isnt implausible to increase the resolution to 1024x768 or even 1280x1024. Yes you would have to recode all the graphics handlers plus a lot of other things, but it may be worth the effort.

I dont mean to argue, and i may be misinformed about MetalStorm. But making a well done hi-res and graphical revamp of diablo 2 seems reasonable for a skilled group of people (4-6 people). Though probably not worth it in the end.

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:22 pm

You are not misinformed about Project: Metalstorm, tought. Since we expect to have enabled the 1024x768 and 1280x1024 resolutions for the release. We also have marked as a goal for Metalstorm to improve visually the game as good as is possible (new art which is imported and adjusted / or created for the mod is made in a way that it follows the same style the things already in the game have).

Also, consider that D2 already supports 24 bit color for sprites and this has been available now for many years (SVR made a dll for it, which we will use in our version).
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

braxus

Post by braxus » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:13 pm

Where is the dll? For 1.13d ofc ^_^(yeah i can dream)

Return to “Diablo II Chatter”