About the difficulty...

Information and updates for the Back to Hellfire mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

No votes

Total votes: 0

sww

About the difficulty...

Post by sww » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:48 pm

Hello,

first of all, thanks for this mod! Even though I have some issues with it, I still enjoyed playing it. Great D1 atmosphere.

Well, as the title says, I've got some problems with the difficulty. And I'm asking myself if the game is really supposed to be that hard or if I'm doing something wrong.

I've got a warrior at level 28 (Stats: 66/61/81/16; act 2 def merc) and it has been tough from the beginning, but it turned from challenging to frustrating more and more. Now, at the beginning of act 3, I'm completely stuck. It seems that I can't survive a group of 2-3 monsters without refilling my belt. Champions or boss mobs are instant death. Also, my damage output is much too low, even though I'm using two-handed swords because all one-handed weapons I've seen so far were ridiculously weak.

During the whole time I didn't find even one single skill book for my class. Is this how it is supposed to be? The cube won't give me anything else but Reflect, Boots of speed and Holy Shield all the time. Just one Sword Mastery and no Sacrifice at all. If it wasn't for item bonuses, I still had to use the normal attack. At least I've got a 30%ED Katana in act 3 with +2 Sacrifice which is by far the best I could get, but still rather weak.

Act 2 won't give me much XP any more, so I can't just go back, get a few level-ups and new, better equipment via gambling as I used to do in the previous acts.

By the way, my stash is full of runes, and I'd love to try out some runewords, but where can I get some useful socketed items? Most of the stuff sold by merchants is inferior to the items I can gamble. Also, I've never seen any melee weapon with more than one socket, while most of the runewords seem to be made up from at least three or four runes.

Any thoughts or suggestions on that? I'd really want to continue playing this mod.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: About the difficulty...

Post by onyx » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:57 am

All I can say is that your level is too low to be in Act 3. As far as I remember (been a while), you were supposed to be 30-32 at the end of Act 2. Just go back and level-up a bit and you should be fine.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

sww

Post by sww » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:42 am

Oh, thanks for the hint, I actually thought my level was higher than necessary. Explored every map and did a lot of runs already.

Anyways, I somehow got through Act 3 yesterday. Seems like the Sewers were the hardest part. I HATE those firebugs. By the way: is the merc's salvation aura supposed to take effect on me - but not on the merc himself?

Lazarus was annoying. I needed more stamina than health potions to take him down. No runs on him, that's for sure. But at least he dropped the first useable one hand weapon I've seen, combined with a shield and Holy Shield my chances of survival increased noticeably in Act 4. Without it, it seems to be impossible.

Well, I'm going to do some runs on the gaol to level up and find some stuff. With a shield, this time. ;)

sww

Post by sww » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Ok, my character reached level 42, Act 5, and it is (was) finally a lot of fun to play. I really should have used a shield from the beginning...

...but unfortunately I accidently lost my character. Sandboxie told me to delete the sandboxed content and I just did it without thinking. Facepalm...

I won't start from the scratch again since it already took me a week to get into Act 5, but I still need to say how great this mod is. My previous posts might have implied something else, apologies for that. BTH is by far the best D2 mod I've played so far, that's for sure!

prodigypm
Banned
Champion of the Light

Post by prodigypm » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:32 am

sww" wrote:BTH is by far the best D2 mod I've played so far, that's for sure!
Indeed !
We're moving faster than lights and dealing with these demons inside so , Where are the ones who made us now!?

jeandelock

Post by jeandelock » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:44 pm

would like to try it anyone have a site to d/l the mod?
the one up there is broke broke broke

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:12 pm

jeandelock

Post by jeandelock » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:49 pm

hey many thanks! cant wait to try it

do you happen to know of a utility or method for me to edit the music in a d2 game or variant?
there are some neat music downloads but theres always two or three unbearable tracks in every one id like to make my own...

or just go back to the way it was would be fine

jeandelock

Post by jeandelock » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:51 pm

The mod is masterful!
my music itch is scratched too, forget the old music the original music rocks!
back to dungeon crawl suspense!

Return to “Back to Hellfire”