Making a character class using life instead of mana

Weekly updated column for helping skill development. Users can't directly post requests but a PM or mail can be sent to Skill-Clinician.

Moderator: Skill Clinician

Ogodei
Senior Moderator
Angel
Italy

Hand-picked

Making a character class using life instead of mana

Post by Ogodei » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:07 pm

Hello,

I'm would like to create a character who uses Blood magic. The main problem is that I cannot find a suitable way to do it. I tried to turn "Blood Mana" into a passive skill and assign it to my character. It works, because it consumes life instead of mana, but - oddly - if you haven't enough mana to cast, the skill is uncastable.
Any solution for that? :|

p.s : I could easily make my char start with a huge-and-useless mana pool, but I think it's an ugly effect.

Jeewdew
Paladin

Re: Making a character class using life instead of mana

Post by Jeewdew » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:19 pm

I have no clue if this is a useable idear:
What about making the spells only cost 1 mana but comsume more life? That way the character can start with just 1 mana and allways be able to cast the spells?

Ogodei
Senior Moderator
Angel
Italy

Hand-picked

Post by Ogodei » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:28 pm

That could be a good idea, thx! . I just don't know how to make a skill consume your hp on cast. I was planning to have an empty mana orb on that character (0 points) but if I can't manage to achieve a "real" life cost, I'll definitely try your idea :)

instant edit: actually I could set the mana cost to 0 and make the skill lower your hp... I just don't know how ^^"

Jase
Champion of the Light
United States of America

Post by Jase » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:54 pm

Ogodei" wrote:That could be a good idea, thx! . I just don't know how to make a skill consume your hp on cast. I was planning to have an empty mana orb on that character (0 points) but if I can't manage to achieve a "real" life cost, I'll definitely try your idea :)

instant edit: actually I could set the mana cost to 0 and make the skill lower your hp... I just don't know how ^^"
There are a few other ways to achieve a blood-mana effect for specific skills. Easiest method is to apply a state that does negative life regen. For 1 HP per 1 second, that is 10 on the hpregen stat.

Another method is to use the sacrifice skill function.
Terran Marine wrote:I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum! And I'm all out of ... agh, forget it!

Return to “Skill Clinic”