Paladin woes

Information and teasers from the upcoming mod, Underkill. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: Seaular

No votes

Total votes: 0

dottim

Paladin woes

Post by dottim » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:12 pm

I decided that the next character I played would be a paladin, a mace wielding templar, I wanted to try a fist fighter, but the lack in range would prove fatal in overcrowded fights, so a took a mace instead. The first thing I noticed was the nice lvl 1 skill holy shield, that requires 35 mana to use, yet even by lvl 8 I still didn't have enough mana, as early on I put my points into str dex and vit, especially in the first 6-10 lvls gained. Of course it forces you to choose mana or strength and vitality, maybe it's not that bad ...

Then a bug, when I sold my holy fire mace, that I started with, to use a better one, the holy fire aura stayed active, at least visually, because it no longer added to damage or had any of it's aura effects, except for the graphical aura thingy beneath my feet.

My quest continues ...

Seaular
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Re: Paladin woes

Post by Seaular » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:44 pm

The first thing I noticed was the nice lvl 1 skill holy shield, that requires 35 mana to use, yet even by lvl 8 I still didn't have enough mana
That's not intentional and will be lowered. There were some higher-level skills that I brought down in level and forgot to adjust mana costs. I think there are some Barb skills that currently cost too much as well. I'll dig into it.
Then a bug, when I sold my holy fire mace, that I started with, to use a better one, the holy fire aura stayed active, at least visually, because it no longer added to damage or had any of it's aura effects, except for the graphical aura thingy beneath my feet.
Yeah, I know about this one but I'm not sure if I caused it somehow, or if it's a Blizzard problem. The thing is, if you're getting a aura from an item, and take off the item without deactivating the aura, the aura graphic will remain. :(

dottim

Post by dottim » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:47 am

I've been trying out a lot of stuff with my paladin and I've discovered that the holy shock paladin is extremely powerfull especially so in the first 2 acts, he did so much more damage than my amazon it's just not funny. Especially after I found some + to skills items, boosting both the aura and the lightning mastery, lot's of fun though building a pure carnage paladin.

I tried holy fire and holy freeze as well, but holy fire is a letdown in the damage department and although freeze has ... freeze it's damage potential is much lower than holy shock. Also if you combine it with a steady point dropped in mace mastery and then later on at least 1 in magic damage you can pretty much own anything. Of course a lightning immune would be laughing quietly as he approached.

I was thinking about something else too, have you included gemwords or are you planning them? Like a certain amount of perfect topazes give a gemword in armors that give a holy shock aura when equiped, perfect skulls the sanctuary aura, perfect ruby's holy fire etc. Maybe change the auras if you put them in shields, armor and helms? Like in a shield a protective aura ...

Also it's safe to say, that the act 1 monsters may be strengthened a bit, like increase their level by 1, just an idea. It would make them harder to hit and they would hit you more often ...

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:45 pm

I loved having a "Tesladin" in Vanilla D2:LOD. He was so much more fun to play than the conventional builds. I used zeal to go hand in hand with HS most of the time, but when I got to lightning immunities I simply used a level 5+ vengeance.

dottim

Post by dottim » Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:49 pm

yes I started putting a couple of points into vengeance I figured it was the way to go with lightning immunes, and zeal is at 4 thanks to my weapon
I'm going to play just a little bit longer with my paladin and then I'll retire him and try a sorceress, I've found an excellent unique sorceress item with +7 to raise skeleton and +3 to enchant, yummie!

Return to “Underkill”