So, what the hell *IS* Jeff gonna do about SiC for 1.10?

Information and updates for the Sanctuary in Chaos mod, the Power Item mod, and and any other mods made before Rise of the Old Gods. These mods are no longer being updated or altered.

Moderator: jbouley

No votes

Total votes: 0

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Re: So, what the hell *IS* Jeff gonna do about SiC for 1.10?

Post by jbouley » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:59 pm

Nah. I'm not sick of your posts. They are helpful.

I've come to a conclusion, though, about SiC for 1.10: I can gaurantee that 1.09 characters won't work in it.

The more I think about the 1.10 version of the mod and the more I think about all that can be done with 1.10 that I couldn't do with 1.09, I am 99% sure that the new SiC mod will not only NOT just be a port-over, but will probably be a hybrid of SiC and many of my ideas/plans for ROTOG.

I will save myself some time by keeping a lot of items and modifying them slightly, but many things look like they will be changing.

New class names, new skills, new monsters, new drop system, etc. etc.

Much like SiC was built on my earlier Sanctuary Corrupted mod but now hardly resembles SC, so too will the new SiC mod be a very different beast from the "old" SiC.

I could just port stuff over to 1.10, but I don't think it's worth the effort to repeat SiC for 1.10. With so much more that can be done and so many little flaws in SiC that I should correct, I think the world is better off if I go off into the realm of making a "new" mod from the old one. I think a simple port-over of SiC to 1.10 with some skill changes and a few new items would be a big waste. Much better to simply use the bones of SiC as a time-saving measure, leave a lot of things in for "old time's sake," and build a better mod for 1.10.

In fact, this begs the question of whether I should call it Sanctuary in Chaos anymore. Since I'm going above and beyond the old mod, and since I'm stealing ideas from Rise of the Old Gods, I may simply make this mod be Rise of the Old Gods.

My original intention with the ROTOG mod was to radically change gameplay by making you have to hunt for reagents and plants in the wilderness to make things (sort of like in many of the Ultima games) and make other changes as well, like completely redifining and simplifying the weapons system to cut out repetitive and unnecessary weapons.

But, perhaps I'm bringing enough of my ROTOG ideas that I should simply abandon my original concept for ROTOG and use the name (which I've already been throwing around so much) for the "SiC for 1.10 project"

I'll think on that a bit...but I can now guarantee that SiC for 1.10 (or whatever I end up calling it), will only suprficially resemble SiC for 1.09.
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

Vhaeghar
Champion of the Light

Post by Vhaeghar » Mon May 03, 2004 10:21 pm

which is by no means a bad thing =)

But i'd say keep the name. its a well known name and adds continuity =)

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Tue May 04, 2004 4:32 pm

By the way, despite not having posted much lately, I haven't disappeared from the face of the earth. The house-hunting thing has taken a lot of time. We've decided on which house we want and we've made an offer on it and gone through a 4-hour inspection of the place yesterday. But I imagine the rest of this month will continue to be busy, even if all goes well with the house in question. Anyone who's been involved in buying a home probably understands what I'm talking about. Planning my wedding in a matter of only a few months was easier than buying a house. :roll:
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

taosk8r
Paladin

Post by taosk8r » Fri May 28, 2004 11:41 pm

Just wondering if things are looking to get rolling again on the progression of this thing.. I think it's gonna be really cool compared to the old one since I've noticed fairly quickly that with the multitude of items and the size of many of them collecting for recipies is quickly becoming pretty impossible. It will be super cool to see this with PlugY and maybe (I hope, I hope) the hireling plugin like in THOC (jewels, rings and stuff).. I'm also really really looking forward to seeing the whole 'new skills' thing. Its been kinda tricky finding mods with most or all of the added skills useful/fun to play with (but then I haven't played any 1.10 mods yet because my game time is pretty limited and I haven't been able to convince myself to do the work needed to be able to 1.09/1.10 switch).

Ok so I kinda sorta found an answer to this while browsing looking for the filename for the Smiiiff runetool (found a link somewhere but not sure if I downloaded it, and the search function here never seems to return any results).. For anyone else wondering what the latest scoop is:

viewtopic.php?t=23452
Last edited by taosk8r on Sat May 29, 2004 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ashurbanipal

Post by Ashurbanipal » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:11 pm

Jay,

You seem to be a fan of quotations, judging from what is being dropped in the mod. I'm quite the quotation collector myself.

I wonder if I could volunteer to add a page or three of quotes (largely from the ancient world to better fit D2?) for your perusal, for inclusion in the mod. If you so chose, you could completely replace the current quotes in the mod with a whole new collection.

Let me know if I can help,
Cheers
-C
--Ashurbanipal
"Some people are so far behind in the race that they actually believe they are leading."

bloodcore

Post by bloodcore » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:07 am

wow jeff, lol. who can find the time to make mods with so much going on, seems impossible. good luck in everything tho, im sure everyone is patient on the arrival of sic 1.10. after all, this is your hobby, not ur job, lol. not only that but sometimes its rough finding time to take out the trash let alone form a mod.
one other thing, with all these talented ppl affiliated with the keep, why dont you all band together and form an MMORPG of your own? charge monthly type deal, make it awesome, include everything that is wanted in an rpg, form your own company. make some money while doing what you love to do, its my dream personally.
ive had an mmorpg drawn out for over a year now and its got absolutely every idea ive ever had for an rpg in it. problem is getting it to ppl that actually would know what to do with it. ive been slowly learning on my own but theres so many special processes involved, for one person to learn it all is very inprobable.
what would be the first step into making a game such as an mmorpg possible if only the idea and a few hundred pieces of paper filled out with information and drawings were all u had to work with? i know u have to have the idea patented at the very least but to form a team , a company has to be the biggest step. but it seems that alot of ppl are out there doing it right now, id like to know where they began.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:20 pm

Me starting a company or releasing an MMORPG (or any other kind of game) will never happen. Partly because I'm not really a business person (I have my own business, but it's as a freelance writer/editor/desktop publishing person...I have a few clients and I work from home). But mostly it's because I have absolutely no skills/knowledge/etc. in the area of game creation or programming.

Fortunately, D2 is really moddable for people like me who aren't tech-heads. But I wouldn't know the first thing about creating a game. Last game I created for a computer was in high school in 1985, it was text-only and written in BASIC, and lasted about 15 minutes before you got to the end of it. ;) :P

Anyway, for those who are still patiently waiting on my ass to get going again on the mod, we just closed on the new house a few days ago. Of course, now I have the stress and time-eating factor related to moving stuff, which I'll be doing off and on over the course of the rest of this month. It is my hope to be back to skill planning by the end of the month, which is my first big task before I really dig into the files.

The mod will feature the PlugY addition for "infinite" stash space. It will probably have the hireling plugin, too, but I haven't decided that yet for sure.
-Jeff Bouley

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:32 pm

UPDATE!

Work has begun on porting SiC over to patch 1.10. O-H

This work has only recently started, so please don't expect anything in the immediate future.

Despite my lack of free time lately, a veteran modder has offered to port over my files (or do a good chunk of the work anyway). At various points in the process, play testers will be needed, and perhaps some modding assistance will be needed as well. (The name of the modder will remain secret for the moment...he was kind enough to offer his help, but I don't want people thinking he's just chock full of free time and to start pestering him for help. If he wants to reveal himself, I have no objection, but I'm not going to "bust him out" here ;))

I apologize to the couple people who have offered to port SiC over in the past...I appreciate your offers, but shifting this mod over to 1.10 needs the hands of someone who's been through all major ins and outs of modding. So, please don't be insulted if you offered to port the mod over in months past and I said "no thanks." Besides, your help might still be needed on some files later on. :P

That said, when SiC is ported over to 1.10, I will likely open up the .txt files for modders who might want to play with the mod or tweak it. I would happily host any good "variants" of my mod and give the modmakers full credit for their efforts. Of course, it would have to be something fairly siginificant in terms of changes to the mod, but it something for y'all to think about in the future.

In addition, I have NOT given up on the plans to do SiC: Old Gods. Once the brutal work of porting over the mod to 1.10 is done, perhaps I can think past that and work on true changes and enhancements to make a "fresh" mod from the body of the "old" one.

I apologize for all the waiting and delays. Again, I cannot say when SiC will be ported over to 1.10...I can only say efforts have started, and will continue.

:)
-Jeff Bouley

DreamBreaker
Paladin

Post by DreamBreaker » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:17 pm

Yeah! news! :)

I miss Sick a lot since i've 1.10....
Thank's a lot, Mysterous Modder. !
I'm just a french fan..

Return to “Arcanum Archives”