Out for a short while

Information and updates for the Sanctuary in Chaos mod, the Power Item mod, and and any other mods made before Rise of the Old Gods. These mods are no longer being updated or altered.

Moderator: jbouley

No votes

Total votes: 0

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Out for a short while

Post by jbouley » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:11 am

Hey, folks!

I've been pretty silent for a while because of all the stuff related to house hunting, and then trying to buy the house (a 30-45 day process), and then closing on the house...and now I've been in the midst of moving for the past two days. My moving continues through Sunday, and from Sunday morning until probably Tuesday evening, I am without Internet access, because the cable tech cannot come until Tuesday.

So, if you post and I don't answer, you know why...;)
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

bloodcore

Re: Out for a short while

Post by bloodcore » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:33 pm

man i swear, one mod after another i play. one mod after another sucks. one has a feature thats awesome and owns. the rest sucks. i dunno, its just my opinion but man jeff, sic has owned all these mods ive played. and my opinion should count since after all, ive been playing diablo since 2 weeks after diablo one came out.

this is the thing that bugs me. one mod i played lets your merc wear full gear with rings and all, but the skills are all crappy. town looks awesome too but its too bad you cant enter half the houses. another mod has awesome graphics, skills, items, the works. cept they left out the merc wearing full gear. and not to mention the fact there is one item that refuses to drop, and its only a simple full plate mail.

sofar jeff, ur mod owns all. and im willing to bet that if you do end up coming out with a new mod for .10, it will most likely have everything that the other mods have + the rest of the lot.

mercs wearing full gear is just smart. being able to summon multiple minions with multiple characters is also aiming in the right direction. changing the entire map layout of every town, safehaven, and all that is also on track thinking. i mean why waste time on a half assed mod. pour everything into it before releasing it. i found myself reverting back to .09 just to play sanctuary in chaos months after .10 patch was released on bnet. the stash size is adequate for pack rats, the amount of socketables is just awesome, i mean for real now, with sic, you cant come across just anyone with your same outfit and gear. its near impossible. thats gotta be one of the things i loved most about it was the versetility of dueling with so many different choices of gear.

adding graphics from other games is also where its at. some of these mods have like the best monsters, morphs, and minions i ever thought they could add to this game. one mod had ents as treehead woodfist in dark wood. how smart is that. i mean damn, if i could run up and see farnham the drunk chillin in a tavern in act 2, that would just own, plus if he actually said the same stuff he used to on d1.

but for real jeff, if ur gonna come out with sic ported or rotog, just max it out, it would definitely be worth the wait. but anyways here i am blabbin on and on as usual. ill let ya go now, lol. sorry it was so long, peace.

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:51 pm

I'm not sure how much I'll do to the towns. In theory, I like the idea, but we'll see where my time and skills take me on that front.

I have heard of the advancements in allowing mercs to wear full gear. Chances are that I'll pursue that avenue (along with the infinite stash).

Summoning multiple minions is one of those things that will depend on the circumstances. After all, a high-level summon should be limited in terms of numbers. Having a half-dozen Valyries or 10 fire golems would be unbalancing in the extreme. On the other hand, with a skill like Raven, you should be able to summon gobs of those weakling monsters.
;)

Anyway, I still haven't really started back on the mod. I've been spending a lot of my time trying to deal with our roof, which needs between $13K and $20K of work. Needless to say, that's been a pretty high priority for me. But, I haven't given up on SiC:The Old Gods for 1.10...hopefull y'all will still be around to play it by the time I actually finish it.
:P
-Jeff Bouley
A riddle wrapped within a mystery surrounded by an enigma -- served with a heaping side order of fried conundrum and a tall glass of puzzlement.
(Download my SiC mod [for 1.09] and other goodies) ---- (Read Phrozen Forums terms of service)

bloodcore

Post by bloodcore » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:40 am

ownage. one thing about the summons tho, what i meant was like how most of those charms could summon like one thing like a carver or a hell witch, things like that. just having different summons, even if its one is extremely cool. it expands the dueling. too bad you cant equip summons with gear. lol that would rule, especially if you could see the armor and weapons being equipped like normal characters, thats something im hoping they will change in d3 if there is one. good luck with the roof, lol. seems to me that god is hitting you with everything hes got lately. :roll:

bloodcore

Post by bloodcore » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:56 pm

oh also, i forgot to mention since most of these mods have overpowered both the characters and the monsters, is it possible to modify the game to make it so you can runeword uniques, magicals, rares, sets, or even crafted items? one thing i noticed about .09 sic was in the earlier versions, i was able to make a fury sword and then clean the sockets, still having the mods for fury, making it an ITH sword. To this day i still cant remember how i did it, but when blizzard put STUPID next to ITH before .10 came out, somehow mine said that too, offline. Then they erased the ITH making my sword disappear for single player as well which kinda sucks.
But anyways, i was just wondering about that cuz uniques with rune word capabilities would be cool. take care

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:53 pm

As far as I know, the prohibition on runewords in rare, set, unique and similar items is a hard-coded one, and so I'm not likely to overcome that in my mod.

In any case, I think that it would be pretty vastly overpowering to have some runewords on certain uniques or set items.

I'll think on the issue, though, and see if there might be a workaround. Perhaps I can institute recipes for certain runewords' powers to be placed on unique items. It would be too much work to do it for all items and all runewords, but perhaps I can create some synergy between the uniques and runes in some places. Maybe I can designate a handful of unique items as "runic uniques."
-Jeff Bouley

Malachor
Paladin

Post by Malachor » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:55 am

Just a quick note. SVR's D2Mod.dll mod :?: :) can set what itemtypes, eg set, rare, etc, can use runewords.

taosk8r
Paladin

Post by taosk8r » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:34 am

jbouley";p="186013" wrote:Summoning multiple minions is one of those things that will depend on the circumstances. After all, a high-level summon should be limited in terms of numbers. Having a half-dozen Valyries or 10 fire golems would be unbalancing in the extreme. On the other hand, with a skill like Raven, you should be able to summon gobs of those weakling monsters.
I'd really like to see at least some of the characters have at least some serious badass summons as opposed to vast numbers of crappy summons (from a few skill points to 20+).. I know I'm probably somewhat in the minority here, but on the hardware I have access to when I summon mass hordes (like all the available druid summons) my system really seems to get dragged down.

Also, I think it'd kickass to see items with summons on them from different classes, and for that matter items with skills from different classes, in larger numbers (that one teleport staff I got comes to mind, but it was too otherwise wack for me to have found any way for it to be useful). Whatever happens I hope that there wind up being a LOT (as many as possible, as the latest interview seems to indicate is planned) of skills so as to have the maximal number of possible builds (unlike the very very limited number in unmodded D2 that are highly effective).

I dunno what people think about charged items but I hope you'll consider working on those last (almost as an afterthought).. Personally the only thing I ever do with charged items is sell 'em (I just cannot seem to make myself assign an Fkey to something that runs out).. Just my quirk but I usually have for the most part totally even avoided chars that use weapons with quantities. Just too much of a pain to gather, buy, and move them around - not to mention the 'inventory space' cost.

Also, I am totally with that guy above.. Alas, unlike him I cannot form any opinion about 1.10 mods since I've been so busy playing SIC that I havent bothered..

Boy it is gonna be soooo sweeet to be able to play SIC on a realm and with PlugY.. Man, I hope I don't get a life b4 I get in some play time.. :)

Lastly I hope you will recruit some reliable ppl to delegate some of the 'grunt work' (which I might be willing to help out with just for the sake of getting the mod released sooner, but I'll need training first) to.. Things like converting all the items from the 1.09 and maybe building up a huge pile of low, middle, and high level sets (I am somewhat dismayed at how few good ones were included in D2).. Also gonna be nice if we get a little nifty eye candy like those slick new 32-bit color skill icons, and some new maps, monsters, quests, dialog, and bosses would just make it impossibly grand. I mean it would be possible if you dipped into some of the talent pool of modders here, and educated some of the newbs and intermediate folk in the creation of such and just let 'em tool away.

Ok *pant* *pant* time for me to go grab some zzzzz.. :) Night Jeff and thanks for the days and days of entertainment SiC has already given me..

bloodcore

Post by bloodcore » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:46 pm

just a quick question, i heard through the grapevine that blizzard was trying to sue {No mentioning of private realms - consider this a warning} for having those private closed servers. does this have any truth to it? i mean geez, its bad enough blizz is makin us play with every ignorant, annoying child on the face of the planet with a patch that has more bugs than my front lawn, but trying to outlaw people from having private servers?? come on now, if this is true im gonna be pizzed off cuz i been trying to figure out how to make my own private server and thats alot of my time wasted right there :x

bloodcore

Post by bloodcore » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:47 pm

:bad-words:

jbouley
Retired Admin
Virtue

Hand-picked

Post by jbouley » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:37 pm

There have been some legal actions in the past against {No mentioning of private realms - consider this a warning} when (if I recall correctly), they were still called BnetD. I don't recall all of the specifics, and I'm not sure if they are currently under attack or not. Or whether Blizzard cares anymore.

I'm not sure of the legalities of private servers...I think there were some specific EULA or copyright violations that Blizzard was citing...whether they were valid or hogwash is beyond me. I would ask around to see where {No mentioning of private realms - consider this a warning} got into trouble before you venture too deeply into creating a private closed server of your own.
-Jeff Bouley

Return to “Arcanum Archives”