ES Troubleshooting & Problem Solving FAQ -- 2011-01-10

Information and updates for the Eastern Sun mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: AlphA - The Real One, tsuru, Perfect Cell, Metropolis Man

OTT

Re: ES Troubleshooting & Problem Solving FAQ -- 2011-01-10

Post by OTT » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:30 pm

Do you need the language bar? Disable it.
Be wiser than other people if you can, but do not tell them so.

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:02 pm

rahl2002" wrote:Hi all

I have a keyboard shortcut problem. After playing ES for a while, my shortcuts would not work, e.g. I, C etc. Instead my desktop's language bar is activated and because I run windowed, I can see that the key strokes are actually being inputed in the language bar (weird huh). Any workaround pls? Thanks.

Running W7. :P
Yeah... IMO, the Language Bar is absolute rubbish for the average user.
Unless there's a reason you need to use it, I'd disable it like OTT said.

rahl2002

Post by rahl2002 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:25 am

Hi guys

Doesn't work though - I disabled the language bar and the problem still persists.

Here's a screenshot - look at the upper left corner:

Thanks. :cool:

OTT

Post by OTT » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:44 pm

If that's the language bar up there, then it's not disabled. Try this:
Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Regional and Language Options.
On the Languages tab, under Text services and input languages, click Details.
Under Preferences, click Language Bar.
Deselect the Show the Language bar on the desktop check box.
Be wiser than other people if you can, but do not tell them so.

thepsycho2
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by thepsycho2 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:14 pm

My assassin has an amulet of caster equipped. But my shadow warriors aren't procing ice fangs like they should be when they hit monsters. Also, their shade armor won't proc. What's wrong?
Once there was more points in shadow warrior, they started procing, it seems. Odd.
Diary, Info, Trading List from Bastige
Persistence: It may take a while, but it is very rewarding in the end (So they say.)
Became an Arch-Angel: 04/08/2012 I still don't see any wings.
Current highest character: Literal (94) Amazon

Darkmoney52

Post by Darkmoney52 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:51 am

So I just did the digital download for the game, and used the link in this forum for the cd mount image thingy-majigg, but when I try to mount the image I get a message that the version of the file I'm running is not compatible with the version of windows I have (I'm using Windows 7). Is there an alternative file out there I should be using or am I just using alcohol 52% incorrectly? I would greatly appreciate any help, it's been too long since I've played Eastern Sun.

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Darkmoney52" wrote:So I just did the digital download for the game, and used the link in this forum for the cd mount image thingy-majigg, but when I try to mount the image I get a message that the version of the file I'm running is not compatible with the version of windows I have (I'm using Windows 7). Is there an alternative file out there I should be using or am I just using alcohol 52% incorrectly? I would greatly appreciate any help, it's been too long since I've played Eastern Sun.
Can you possibly post a screenshot of the error somewhere?
I'm on Windows 7 (32bit) and haven't had any issue like that.

Firesnake
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Firesnake » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:24 pm

do you have a CD image somewhere? One of the real CD? Or does the download version come in a different format? If so, you could download an image via Torrents - since you own the game that should be no legal problem - and just mount that. It's what I did after my CD showed a crack and I was afraid of using it because I already shattered an older game CD that way along with my DVD-Drive.

Darkmoney52

Post by Darkmoney52 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:04 am

Stabby_McTwist" wrote:
Darkmoney52" wrote:So I just did the digital download for the game, and used the link in this forum for the cd mount image thingy-majigg, but when I try to mount the image I get a message that the version of the file I'm running is not compatible with the version of windows I have (I'm using Windows 7). Is there an alternative file out there I should be using or am I just using alcohol 52% incorrectly? I would greatly appreciate any help, it's been too long since I've played Eastern Sun.
Can you possibly post a screenshot of the error somewhere?
I'm on Windows 7 (32bit) and haven't had any issue like that.
I'm not too tech savvy with that stuff, I don't know how to take screen shots and I have no idea how I would post it online after, but I'll quote exactly what the error message says.
"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

Darkmoney52

Post by Darkmoney52 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:08 am

Firesnake" wrote:do you have a CD image somewhere? One of the real CD? Or does the download version come in a different format? If so, you could download an image via Torrents - since you own the game that should be no legal problem - and just mount that. It's what I did after my CD showed a crack and I was afraid of using it because I already shattered an older game CD that way along with my DVD-Drive.
I don't think the digital download has a cd image at all, which is why I downloaded the one on this forum, I don't see why getting another cd image from torrents would be any more likely to work.

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Darkmoney52" wrote:I'm not too tech savvy with that stuff, I don't know how to take screen shots and I have no idea how I would post it online after, but I'll quote exactly what the error message says.
"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."
I'd uninstall Alcohol 52%, restart your computer and then install Alcohol 52% again.

The reason I was asking for the screenshot is to better identify what program the error was coming from, be it Alcohol or Diablo II or something else.
To take a screenshot, press the Print Screen button (Prt Scr) which is above the arrow keys in a group of 5~6 keys. After that you can upload it to any of a number of image sharing sites like http://photobucket.com/ http://imgur.com/ http://tinypic.com/

undead_shadow
Paladin

Post by undead_shadow » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:16 am

Okay so I'm using windows 7 and been quite happily mounting my diablo disc image with alcohol 52%...

Occasionally it de mounts itself and I simply go into alcohol 52% and remount it easy peasy...

I haven't played ES though since before xmas (where it was working fine and dandy on my new window 7 machine)
and now when I come to play it the disc image is umounted and when I right click to remount the disc image the option to do so is greyed out... I have no clue how to rectify it.

I've looked online and tried creating new drives to mount the image onto but it doesnt seem to work and I even tried:

http://support.alcohol-soft.com/knowled ... ot+working

The beginning steps to this (and uninstalling/reinstalling alcohol) but I have no idea how to do:

"Now please run regedit.exe, then browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ and delete sptd key (you may need to adjust cfg key permissions to delete it). Also please browse to c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers and delete sptd.sys file. Restart Windows."

And i'm too scared to have a try incase I break something or corrupt something etc...

If it is the drivers could someone give me a "dummys guide to drivers etc"?

Or could my problem be the disc image suddenly isn't good enough?

I desperately want to play ES again so any help would be fantastic (or should I simply "upgrade to 1.12" from 1.09 even though I've never had a problem uptil now...)

EDIT: Holy jesus stabby you are amazing. I installed the 1.12 thingy from your sig and within a minute im back to playing ES. Thanks you :)
Open up the sweetness

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:32 am

Glad you got it working, the 1.12 mod works well enough, but has some issues.

As for the problems in your post...
You can remove the key safely by copy/paste this code and save it as RemoveEntry.reg and then double clicking the file.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\sptd]
As for the issue with it not mounting the CD, it's possible that the locations of the files have changed, or they are deleted all together.
I would recommend removing the entries from Alcohol, downloading the CD Images again and then adding the new images to Alcohol.

undead_shadow
Paladin

Post by undead_shadow » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Stabby_McTwist" wrote:Glad you got it working, the 1.12 mod works well enough, but has some issues.

As for the problems in your post...
You can remove the key safely by copy/paste this code and save it as RemoveEntry.reg and then double clicking the file.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\sptd]
As for the issue with it not mounting the CD, it's possible that the locations of the files have changed, or they are deleted all together.
I would recommend removing the entries from Alcohol, downloading the CD Images again and then adding the new images to Alcohol.
I don't understand when you say problems and where I'm supposed to put the file with your code in...

What known issues does the 1.12 mod have any obvious ones to look out for/avoid?

Can you provide a link for a new disc image? I know there's one on the website somewhere but don't know where to look...
Open up the sweetness

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:03 pm

I also have a question...

My game started lagging real bad a couple of days ago,now I've been playing this mod for a couple of years now on the same PC without any changes on him,and the game worked perfectly up to a couple of days ago...Now I've checked in my task manager and I'm noticing that there is an increased memory usage,but there are no processes that use that memory and i suppose my game lags because of that,I defragmented my HD,done System Cleanup,uninstaled a couple of unnecessary programs,and it still lags,to what can this be related to???Using Win XP if it matters...Also as I am no programmer I really don't know what is sucking my memory since it isn't shown in the Task Manager...any ideas???
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard
try to cover up the trail of deceit and daggers spawned from your soul

http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?Diary_Lucifer666

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

undead_shadow
Paladin

Post by undead_shadow » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Do you mean lagging no matter what you do?

My computer ownly tends to lag if im on massive maps (naraku/ancients way etc) with the map also open.

When I try fighting it lags quite abit but simply closing my map whilst fighting helps that (I have my map set to the big back ground one).
Open up the sweetness

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Yes,it gets pretty laggy no matter what while i'm in the city,while fighting,while running thru already cleaned out maps,it happens sporadically but often enough to make a problem,cuz when it gets laggy i can't seem to target monsters nicely since it laggs...so it will kill of some of my chars occasionaly,I didn't play with any of my HC chars since it started about a week or two ago... :cry:
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:29 pm

Backup your savegames (+sharedstash) - reinstall - problem solved
only 2 things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity ... although i'm not sure yet about the universe (c) Albert Einstein
http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?p ... hot051.jpg (WOW)

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:53 pm

OK...I will try that in a hour or so,I have to go to a friends house to fix some windows and when i'm home i'll post if it helped or not...Thanks anyway...

Edit: Just came home,finished installing Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction,now i'm gonna up it to 1.10,and then ES 3.00R6D...will let you know if there is still lagg...

I bite down hard

Stabby_McTwist
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Stabby_McTwist » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:06 pm

undead_shadow" wrote:I don't understand when you say problems and where I'm supposed to put the file with your code in...
Any folder, you just have to run it once. After that you can delete it.

What known issues does the 1.12 mod have any obvious ones to look out for/avoid?
Nothing major... Sometimes the Shamans in Act1 don't show (just a 'smoke' aura) and cannot be targeted directly, and there's an "issue" that Act 2 Mercs cannot equip Shields but that's actually a bug with Eastern Sun's Merc Mod which is fixed in 1.12.

Can you provide a link for a new disc image? I know there's one on the website somewhere but don't know where to look...
The same place as you got it originally: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?u2q2nmwljym

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:25 pm

Unfortunately it still lags every 5-10 mins for about 2-5 mins...I don't know what can be causing it,since it worked just fine to until recently...should i fiddle with my memory cards or something???Would really appreciate some help on this matter... :cry:

Edit: Now that i think about my memory cards,I had 4 Gigs of RAM Memory 2 years ago when i first installed ES,now I have only 2 Gigs of RAM...Or is that unrelated to my problem???

Edit 2: I have also been stashing ALL good looking items for these 2 years and I have around 500 pages full in my shared stash,can this be what's causing the lag???I also have around 70 Chars ranging from level 1(cheap ring/ammys) to level 98...But I can't imagine that is what's causing lagg...

Edit 3: Also if it means anything I started testing in Cow Level(Hell) and everything was fine,when I finished with Cows i moved onto Blood Raven's Workshop and then it started lagging again...

I bite down hard

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:42 am

1) Eastern Sun isn't so memory heavy, unlike Zy-El, but in High Density Areas a drop of your framecount is quite possible as D2 in general isn't built for it. Thats why Skellimancers with AoE Curses were "banned" in vanilla as the sheer density of skeletons+mages+revives+spells caused an overflow that led to an immense lag.

I recommend testing the "lagginess" with a character that doesn't use AoE (or high % to cast AoE spells). If it still laggs then you'll have to wait. Maybe Perfect Cell has an answer for you...

2) that is totally unrelated as it's only the 1st page of the shared stash that does something. Make sure the 1st page is rather empty (private as well as SS) and you should be fine.

3) Cows should have a higher density than Bloodravens workshop, but perhaps (again) more spells are cast.

Worst case: Play windowed mode and look if it's still laggy. If it's not, keep playing windowed, you'll get used to it. ;)

I actually only play D2 windowed as I find it much more convenient browsing, checking time etc ... this way.

good luck
only 2 things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity ... although i'm not sure yet about the universe (c) Albert Einstein

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:45 am

Just reinstalled entire Windows XP,not long after my last post my system crashed... :cry: :cry: :cry:

So I will soon reinstal Diablo2 and ES again...and hopefully there will be no more problems... :roll:

Edit: Well,I don't really know what is going on,up to 2 weeks ago I NEVER had lag,and even after reinstalling Windows and everything again,I am getting lag again,in city,in empty maps(cleaned of monsters),full maps of monsters,with MiniMap and without it,1-st page of SS is empty,and there maybe Wirt's Leg and a couple of brains on my 1-st page of Private Stash...I don't even have any other game installed and only the most neccesary programs are installed...I even lowered the graphics setting of ES and still no dice...I mean it still lags the same way as explained in my first post in this thread...I don't know what else to try...any ideas???

Edit 2:Also I have tried to play with several of my chars and they all have lag,DS Barb with Rogue,Samurai with Rogue,Werewolf with Barb...

I bite down hard

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:00 pm

check your d2x files. If they are bigger than 256KB this is what causes the laggs.

if thats the case remove stuff from your shared stash. This should remove laggs.

(Taken from Zy-El forum)

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:06 pm

Just checked,the biggest d2x file of my chars is 70 KB... :cry:

I bite down hard

Return to “Eastern Sun”