Frustrating problems modding with Windows 8.1

Feel free to chat about anything unrelated to Diablo II and modmaking, just keep it legal :-) Please keep the spamming down though.

Moderators: AdiTT, Kardon

Xenast
Retired staff
Angel

Frustrating problems modding with Windows 8.1

Post by Xenast » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:15 pm

I recently got a new computer and it came with windows 8 (upgraded to 8.1). However, I am having strange problems modding. I am using direct txt

The first thing I did was mess around with a new UI, I didn't like it so I deleted it. However, it still shows up. I even replaced the one in the data directory with the original, but the one I made is still there!

Next, when I try and make a backup of my Data folder, copying it to any other location gives the original version of all the files, not my modified ones. For example, my copied skill.txt has all the original entries, not my changes. However, the skills.txt in my D2 directory does have my changes.

Now my most frustrating thing just happened. I had edited a few other files (charstats, properties, ect). When I came back to it later they were all gone! BUT, when I open D2 the changes I made are still there!

I don't know why this stuff is happening but its making modding impossible, and my google searches are not giving me any ideas

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Re: Frustrating problems modding with Windows 8.1

Post by Volf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:17 am

Sounds like some overwrite/folder permission issue. Similar issues existed in win7 and the solution was to install d2 outside of the Program Files (x86) folder

Xenast
Retired staff
Angel

Re: Frustrating problems modding with Windows 8.1

Post by Xenast » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:44 am

Yeah I messed with the permissions for a few hours no luck

I'm actually re downloading my client and installing it to the desktop, Blizz downloader on classic games is very slow. I'll post if it works when its installed.

Edit:
Seems to be working ok

Return to “Off-Topic”