Eye-Candy, Screens & Movies (20th June) - 49 new things!

Information and updates for all other projects by Black Omen Productions (besides Shadow Empires): Namely Codename: MetalStorm, Anti-Balance, Ultimate Fixer and all versions of XyRAX

Moderators: Nefarius, Joel, Doombreed-x, Vendanna

100%

Total votes: 1

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: Eye-Candy, Screens & Movies (updated: 5th Mar, 2009)

Post by kingpin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:14 am

[quote=Nefarius";p="411874"]If I bothered with the number of people playing this thing I probably wouldn't continue working with this old game anymore ;), but with that being said, this is one of the last things I spend a thought on - those who are still around then are free to enjoy this, those that aren't, it's their loss :twisted:.[/quote]

Game is already 10 years old. so what is another 5, 10, 15 years for difference :)

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Re: Eye-Candy, Screens & Movies (updated: 11th May, 2009

Post by cla$$ics » Sun May 17, 2009 1:22 am

Wow, look at that font on the Item Lore pic ;)
Although done for our needs, mod-makers should like these changes, too.
11/1/08 - COTL; 5/10/09 - Angel; 11/11/09 - Archangel

kazein
Paladin

Post by kazein » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:26 am

I hope there is still progress here!

Vendanna
Hosted Forum Moderator
Arch-Angel

Post by Vendanna » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:39 pm

[quote=kazein";p="420485"]I hope there is still progress here![/quote]

Yes, there is still progress in there, just no new posts so far. Blame blizzard for having that crappy code on the game.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."

Black Omen's production

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:54 pm

There is alot of progress on many areas that will warrant quite a few extensive posts, but I have very little time until the end of october (as stated in the progress thread) which I have to split amongst several projects (this is the only d2 related thing I am working on). I have probably added another 30K lines of code since the last update.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Re: Eye-Candy, Screens & Movies (updated: 2nd August, 2009)

Post by gogodanny » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:58 pm

what I would really like to see (though u can take ur time as I am not able to view imageshack pictures from china and won't return to my country before september 19) is a midlvl to highlvl rare item with a couple of mod-unique specs on it.

we all know that uniques are just rare items and rares are truly unique that's why I never really have been into uniques but rares and crafts instead.

mentioning crafts ... could you probably leak some footage about what crafts might look like? ;)
only 2 things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity ... although i'm not sure yet about the universe (c) Albert Einstein
http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?p ... hot051.jpg (WOW)

mmamono

Re: Eye-Candy, Screens & Movies (20th June) - 49 new things!

Post by mmamono » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Yeah... yeah. I'm overwhelmed. :-|

So awesome! 8-O

gogodanny
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by gogodanny » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:21 pm

this is just some "cheer" with hopes that you're still going strong! :-)

I've been following your every update with eagle-eyes and hope that (sooner or later) there will be a public version of it (even if just a beta) :-D
only 2 things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity ... although i'm not sure yet about the universe (c) Albert Einstein
http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?p ... hot051.jpg (WOW)

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Yeah everything is fine here, there just isn't much to post about, other then "added sounds for x", I am currently waiting for two more sound banks to increase the pool which we can use for the sounds further ( it is beyond 10 GB right now ).
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Perhaps you may want to use a different format for sounds, such as MP3, if you aren't already?

MP3 would be a nice format to use, especially for music, where you can have stereo audio.
Although done for our needs, mod-makers should like these changes, too.
11/1/08 - COTL; 5/10/09 - Angel; 11/11/09 - Archangel

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:59 am

MP3 and OGG add decompression overhead and aren't lossless so for sound effects we are going to stick with WAV (you can have stereo in WAV files, in fact many of D2's WAVs are stereo) --- as for music, one of the prospect features in the long run is to make the game use external playlists, everyone has a different taste of music so instead of forcefully packing new music with the mod (there will be a sound track available in a seperate non mandatory mpq, which the game will use when instructed to) this will allow people to play what they want from their own collection without extra overhead being imposed on the game (when you turn the music volume to 0 in D2 and have a third party player in the background you still have D2 loading its music and that player running, so theres a lot of unneeded overhead caused by such an approach), the new music in the MPQ will either use OGG or FLAC (unless the MPQ formats built-in audio compression turns out to be better then these approaches), the playlist stuff will support MP3 as well.

---

For a small headsup, I can't 100% guarantee this, but the next time this thread gets updated there may be some actual videos (not gifs), after the audio pass is over theres no reason not to ;)

---

EDIT: For a more precise state about what is being done right now, we found that many LoD spells had no sound effects (think about blood lust, blood mana, defense curse et al.) so beside adding sfx for new things, we also have to adjust and edit everything existing (there are a myriad of problems with sounds.txt, resulting from very lazy copy/paste jobs, for example the lod sfx for monsters tends to have the same settings for each sound, except for filename and volume -_-, this makes a lot of stuff, like async and pooling settings in need of editing, there were also bugs in the core audio system which I fixed recently, this will be posted in the update thread when the time for that comes). I'm currently synthing sounds for the sirens and some spells, which put some delay on the work of the remainder (sound settings for monstats is almost fully completed beside this, along all player spells, missiles and states).

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:07 am

Question: When a player or other character is under the effects of multiple multiple states, each having an overlay, will the game be able to show all overlays at once on the character or will it periodically switch between them like it does now?
No beating heart I felt. I brought no sights to the silver lips; no warmth from the gold.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:51 am

This is how D2 already works, overlays that are set by states (except for aurae) will stack, the aurae are designed to cycle, I ported this behaviour over (all the overlay code is replaced), so it can be easily applied or removed from things if such a need arises. Having too many aura overlays stack is only nice on paper, in practice due to the transparency mode that is used to draw them the result will be a whiteish blotch under the characters feet if you have too many of them active at the same time.

Rattlecage
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by Rattlecage » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:41 pm

Nefarius" wrote:..it can be easily applied or removed from things if such a need arises.
Awesome. That sounds like the best way to do it. I'm looking forward to getting my grubby little hands on Metal Storm and digging in - with your permission of course. :)
No beating heart I felt. I brought no sights to the silver lips; no warmth from the gold.

tk_incorperate
Paladin

Post by tk_incorperate » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:29 am

Wow... I've kept an eye on D2 modding for a while, and I know that unique features are being coded into mods every day but I've for some reason never opened this section of the forum, and I'm kind of disappointed in myself.

This project is absolutely amazing. I hope that some day I'll be able to contribute in one way or another, however it may be.

ZOMB

Post by ZOMB » Sat May 05, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi Nefarius, is Metalstorm still in development? Are you working on it? And what about posting some new screens or videos?
I seriously think that your mod is going to be better than Diablo 3...
good luck and happy modding ;)
Fan, player and modmaker of game Diablo 2
Diablo 2: Is Alive
Diablo 2: Skiller

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sat May 05, 2012 8:40 pm

I have a couple of videos prepared for future "Random Tidbits" posts actually, it will just be a matter of time until I get around to post these.

As for screenshots, I am not really a fan of the current off-site solution because of how unreliable these sites and their mood swings tend to be, I'd rather post them on-site in the future, but the mod isn't in a phase yet where I consider it worthwhile to build a page for it, simply because of how many things are still under work.

ZOMB

Post by ZOMB » Sat May 05, 2012 9:38 pm

glad to hear it´s still under work and thanks for explanation...
Fan, player and modmaker of game Diablo 2
Diablo 2: Is Alive
Diablo 2: Skiller

Return to “Mods by Nefarius”