MetalStorm Progress Report (28 June 2016)

Information and updates for all other projects by Black Omen Productions (besides Shadow Empires): Namely Codename: MetalStorm, Anti-Balance, Ultimate Fixer and all versions of XyRAX

Moderators: Nefarius, Joel, Doombreed-x, Vendanna

Krabator

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (2nd January, 2014)

Post by Krabator » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:09 am

Thanks for the update.

To be honest, I don't understand all the lines in your devlog.
But I am confidant :D

I know the game is not out and we don't have any idea of the target...
...but please concider the fact that the automatic gold grabbing in a modern old school HnS is a cool feature. :mrgreen:

Krabator

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (1st February, 2014)

Post by Krabator » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:17 am

Thanks again for this update !

Keep up the good job !

justin3009
Paladin
United States of America

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (28th February, 2014)

Post by justin3009 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:05 pm

I get more amazed with each update. I truly had no idea Diablo 2 had this LUDICROUS amount of bugs in it. I knew it was riddled with them but it seems like the entire game was built on bugs!

weapon-x
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
Philippines

Post by weapon-x » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:38 pm

quote from the progress report
2.) If the stat is present on a socket filler, it will affect both the socket filler's own level, and the level of the item it is socketed into. That is, if you have a jewel that adds +5 to level requirement, and it has a level requirement of 10, it now requires clvl 15, upon inserting it into an item, that item also recieves +5 to it's lvl req, independant of the jewel.
this is one of the seriously crazy stuff i have encountered that made me use itemtype checks for specific items
just to display level req properly :-|

keep it up sir :) it is good to hear something from you again
" It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "

~Mark Twain

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:54 am

I get more amazed with each update. I truly had no idea Diablo 2 had this LUDICROUS amount of bugs in it. I knew it was riddled with them but it seems like the entire game was built on bugs!
Most programming is like this. As long as it operates "as intended" then the bugs never surface, but when you have people who are modding the soft files and/or code they become apparent in numerous ways. As far as i can tell many programmers have the mantra "as long as it work within the intended parameters, then its 'bug free'." Diablo is a perfect example of this.

It really goes to show how meticulous the Metal Storm (Nefarious) team is being with their modifications (re-writing the code), in that all possible uses are being considered and designed around. And I am thankful that such great care is being taken. Excellent work, you all! :)

justin3009
Paladin
United States of America

Post by justin3009 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:01 pm

I don't know how people can work around in that kind of fashion. When I code with ASM on SNES, dear lord if there's any kind of bug, even one that doesn't do much, it's got to go. There's ALWAYS the possibility it could break something else.

I am so glad that the Metal Storm team is extremely detailed and literally fixing 'everything' to make it a steady solid game. I can't express how thankful I am of that!

kirerellim

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (1st May, 2014)

Post by kirerellim » Fri May 30, 2014 2:30 am

Jez, thats most of the game recoded lol what else are you planning on doing?

Scarred Petal

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (3rd June, 2014)

Post by Scarred Petal » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:15 pm

Hey, Nef.

I love you. Forever.

Respectfully yours,

Some random mod-loving bastard (Me)

bluechimera
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Warrior
United States of America

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (2nd July 2014)

Post by bluechimera » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Sounds great, I am looking forward to seeing more progress on MetalStorm, and hopefully, a release!

-BC

FPeacee

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (18 March 2015)

Post by FPeacee » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:36 am

This mod is going to be delicious.. So much fixing..

ChaosMarc
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by ChaosMarc » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:00 am

It's amazing that vanilla is even playable if one reads about all those bugs you fixed :D
I'm curious. What's the next part of the game you're going to replace?

prodigypm
Banned
Champion of the Light

Post by prodigypm » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:47 am

Its actually upgrading . Like the inperfect thing the human is , everything created by humans is inperfect . Mastering the mistakes or adding new features that humans think are perfect is how things work around this universe . Modding is about imagination and endurance . Enduring through the process and realisation of your desires . The amount of respect you get is equal to the people that have the same or close to your vision .
Vanilla is solid in terms of what was Diablo at the time of its release . With the years passing , the formula in gaming success is evolving thus making it far more complicated and often fails due to the lack of understanding or liking in the community . Diablo had a solid formula , the tools , thus making it a perfect game to master in terms of gameplay and modding .

This mod will be close to perfection , making it a begging or the foundation of more refine set of mods . I just hope there are still people keeping it all posible.

PS.People though that I flame a lot , but being sarcastic , sadistiQ and critisising is my reality . So unlike my other posts , this time I will wish you good luck .

Cheers to Nefarius and Kingpin,
Prodigy
We're moving faster than lights and dealing with these demons inside so , Where are the ones who made us now!?

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:14 pm

Since this topic was bumped, ill just ask a simple question. Is this mod still being worked on? Im really really amazed
Life is too short to drive boring cars.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:57 pm

Xibalba" wrote:Since this topic was bumped, ill just ask a simple question. Is this mod still being worked on? Im really really amazed
Look at the title of the topic, last update was yesterday.
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Necrolis" wrote:
Xibalba" wrote:Since this topic was bumped, ill just ask a simple question. Is this mod still being worked on? Im really really amazed
So sorry, readed it as 2005 somehow..

prodigypm
Banned
Champion of the Light

Post by prodigypm » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:49 pm

Xibalba" wrote:
Necrolis" wrote:
So sorry, readed it as 2005 somehow..
Started around that year so you aren't far away :D Was some kind of a mix putting shadow empire here . No one knows WTH is happening anyway only update logs of something .
We're moving faster than lights and dealing with these demons inside so , Where are the ones who made us now!?

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:44 pm

No update since March? I will kill myself if you guys stopped working on this mod :O

dummymode

Post by dummymode » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:05 am

Its been a long time since the last post. Just wondering if there are any new updates?

Megaladon
United States of America

Post by Megaladon » Mon May 16, 2016 11:51 pm

dummymode" wrote:Its been a long time since the last post. Just wondering if there are any new updates?
I have been coming back for years checking this. Now I am secretly hoping Blizzard realizes the success of D2 over D3 and this is the secret dev. team working on D4 with a polished D2 core. Lol... now now, I could only wish they would hire people with such devotion and probably love for a game.

Even random posts like this keep hope alive to see that alpha-omega download link! Good luck MetalStorm team!
Should we do what we're good at or get good at what we do?

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Sat May 28, 2016 9:33 am

man,there are a lot of us waiting and hoping for this...they could post something at least once every three months so that we know there is still progress being made if nothing else...
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard
try to cover up the trail of deceit and daggers spawned from your soul

http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?Diary_Lucifer666

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

prodigypm
Banned
Champion of the Light

Post by prodigypm » Sun May 29, 2016 9:19 am

Lucifer666" wrote:man,there are a lot of us waiting and hoping for this...they could post something at least once every three months so that we know there is still progress being made if nothing else...
Hey Luci , its about time to grow up on things , dont wait on other people's work that much , just make sure you have fun when you have time . There are tons of other mods , tons of other games . I was crying a lot on these forums - After being told to be a flaming,annoying and etc. no one is serious enough to see the truth behind the simple words . I know myself and by starting something I always finish it and never stop . Things about internet and mods are tottaly different , no one cares anymore so dont bother writing positive or negavite stuff . Not worth the time ;)

PS. Its summer time too so make sure its worth it ;)

Lucifer666
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel

Post by Lucifer666 » Sun May 29, 2016 9:37 am

ya i know man...still hope dies last,and really there are no more games being made that are like d2,i can't even run the remakes for pc of final fantasy and that is it af far as my gaming goes...bleh i have enough mods already anyway so it is not really all that important to me,would just like to see what they did with the game...
Look down at the body you may see no trace of wounds but in the eye the eye of the beholder one cannot asume.
Not a drop of blood is drawn but you know how it bleeds beware of the sharp edged weapon called human being
It is a shield of passion and strong will from this I am the victor instead of the kill

I will not feed your hunger, instead I bite the pain looking not back, but forward
I bite down hard
try to cover up the trail of deceit and daggers spawned from your soul

http://miyoshino.la.coocan.jp/eswiki/?Diary_Lucifer666

05/11/2012 I am now an ANGEL,damn and I always though that I'd be a Demon when I grew up...

justin3009
Paladin
United States of America

Re: MetalStorm Progress Report (29 May 2016)

Post by justin3009 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:31 pm

I check this topic basically every day just to see if anythings been updated. I'm exceptionally happy to see all the work going into this and how much more flexible and improved the system is sounding. You're doing this game some ridiculously high justice.

Kuss

Post by Kuss » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:55 pm

I tried reading around but I didn't understand
Is this a true mod with added stuff etc. or is this just ("just", lol) a recode of all the buggy D2 code?

Anyway the changelist is huge af, gratz

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:38 am

It is both of those things. "MetalStorm" itself aims to be a (hopefully) bug-free, patched build of vanilla that is highly performant and extensible, and we're using it for building (a) mod(s) (the plural is assuming Joel stops being AWOL, otherwise there will be only one) --- this being the way it came about (it's kind of a chicken and egg scenario). We are half-way there in a sense, currently I'm cleaning up the codebase of old junk from 2006-2013 to have consistent quality and code style across the various components, from there there's really not much left to cleanse of bugs (Gfx, Sfx, Net subsystems will use code from another project of mine, named "Enpherno" which has been in simultaneous albeit slow development). The only large aspects of the game we've not tapped into yet are the lowest level inventory functions, path finding, tiles and some parts of D2Client.

The change-log is split into categories to reflect what part of the project(s) they affect (this terminology will be expanded a bit starting with the next update to the change-log).

Currently:

Core - Changes to the backend system that allows us to patch vanilla, CLib and launcher; the "Engine" if you want to call it that.
MtSt - Code changes that are shared between D2 and Mod-mode. Mod-changes.
D2 - Changes affecting D2-mode only.
Bug - Bugs in our own code/datafiles that were fixed.
D2Bug - Bugs in the vanilla code/datafiles that were fixed.
Misc - Things that're extraneous to the project itself but related, such as tools.

Starting with the next change-log:

Sys - Changes that affect the backend system/clib/launcher.
Core - Code changes that are shared between D2 and Mod-mode.
Mod - Changes affecting Mod-mode only.
D2 - As before.
Bug - As before.
D2Bug - As before.
Misc - As before.

D2-Mode is not vanilla in the sense as it is now however, we are restoring a lot of things to how they worked prior to the expansion (2000-2001) except when we deem changes that were done to have been beneficial to gameplay/balance (which is frequently not the case, many of these expansion changes broke things or were done without taking into account the gameplay/balance implications they have, often for silly reasons --- such as casting delays being introduced to reduce framedrops and not balance, and to balance the skills damage was then scaled through the roof --- not to forget the implications on mana usage, since you're forced to wait between casting you get by with a much lower energy investment than in real-classic [1.00-1.06]). This mode will be fully editable within the scope of our new + old TXT files. (It will load separate BIN\TXT files).
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Return to “Mods by Nefarius”