Modding and Diablo 3

Post anything Diablo III, or upcoming Diablo Imortal or Diablo IV here.
kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Modding and Diablo 3

Post by kingpin » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:05 pm

I readed an interesting article where Blizzard says this:
Modding

Blizzard also told us that the question of Player DiabloWikimodding is not closed. I was surprised to hear that as decisively as it was rejected pre-game, but Lylirra said specifically that they’re considering allowing it, and not just of WoW-style UI modding, but of the whole game, D2 style. No timeframe was given, and I’d bet it’s a distant future type thing, along with ladders and player leagues and such, but I was surprised and gratified to hear it.

I should point out that I played a lot of mods and dabbled in creating them myself for Diablo 2, and while I’m far from an expert in the technical issues, I can safely say that the Diablo 3 devs would have to disclose a great deal of the game code to enable any useful player modding. Furthermore, they’d almost certainly have to allow offline play, and the character insecurity that comes with a non-client server model. Mods can be played online of course, and modding communities were legion in the Diablo 2 days, but everyone has to have the exact same version of the game to multiplayer, and characters created in the vanilla game or in any mod can not be used in another (all of the items get corrupted and bugged, at the very least).
You can read the rest of the article here

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Re: Modding and Diablo 3

Post by Trevor » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:29 pm

Ya that was the article I posted in the thread below.
AfterMath Overview: http://www.aftermathcentral.com

Following the path of least resistance is what makes rivers and men crooked.
- Author Unknown

Mod Completion: Always under Construction
D2SE Compatible Only

Playing AfterMath v3.0.1 ~ 1020 MB
Released March 31, 2017

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Re: Modding and Diablo 3

Post by kingpin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Trevor" wrote:Ya that was the article I posted in the thread below.
Sorry missed that one will lock this one down as not much point have two topics about same subject.

Return to “Other Diablo Games”