Setting up some sort of Server

Information and updates for the Darkness Weaves Ironman mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

No votes

Total votes: 0

Ran Over Twice

Setting up some sort of Server

Post by Ran Over Twice » Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:23 am

Hi guys! :) It's me again! I was thinking that maybe we could get some sort of server set up so people who use the mod can play online with others! I would gladly volunteer my computer to be used as a server because:

1) I have cable internet
2) I have unlimited access
3) It's quite fast and alright
4) We have 2 computers and they are both left on 24/7 so the server would be up as often as possible
5) I love your mod and that's my best reason

If you decide to agree to this we could make some arrangements, help me set up a server and we're off!
Why keep it simple when it can be made complicated?

RexxLaww
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Hand-picked

Post by RexxLaww » Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:47 am

Since D2 does not offer a way to run a dedicated server, you will have to create a server 'holder' character. Simply launch the game with them and then post your IP address here for others to join. When you bring up the automap <TAB>, it will display your IP address.

If you are behind a router or firewall, you will need to do 2 things. (1) Open a port and (2) Give the real IP (not your internal IP) with the port number. Like This:

xx.xxx.xxx.x:yyyy

Where 'x' is the IP, and 'y' is the port number. Note the COLON between them (no spaces).

I will set up a forum strictly for announcing games. Just be careful it doesnt turn into a one-liner post fest. You should also post your ICQ/AIM/YAHOO/MSN Messenger ID so that others can contact you.

The only downside to this is that you will have to restart the game if newbies or ultra high characters come in, or if the quests need to be reset.

But a game announcement, some chatting with your game-mates via a messenger service, and you will be off and running.
The Frost. Sometimes it makes the blade stick.

Ran Over Twice

Post by Ran Over Twice » Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:49 pm

Well, I already got past the router problem, so don't make me set up a port because it will just complicate things more for me. Umm... That multiple copies thing for Diablo II will come in handy. Make 3 games - one for Normal, one for Nightmare, one for Hell. Remake the games every 2 hours on the even hours (Atlantic Time). Anyway, I'm sure we could figure something out.
Why keep it simple when it can be made complicated?

Return to “Darkness Weaves”