Translation projects

Information and updates for the New Dawn and North Star mods. If you have any questions or suggestions for these mods, please post them here.

Moderator: 54x

54x
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Translation projects

Post by 54x » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:35 pm

Just like the planned German version, mainly by me (because I came up with the names, I'll likely have a better sense of the idea I'm trying to get accross) I'd like to see if people are interested in translation projects- especially seeing a lot of the NDX players are from Denmark, Poland, etc... (if my counter is to be believed ;) )

This also goes for languages into which Diablo II was never translated in the first place- it would involve a bit more work as a many UI graphics would need to be translated, but it'd be an exceptable price to pay :) The version I'm probably thinking most likely to come up are Polish, French, Spanish, and maybe Japanese (it seems however, that the NDX fanbase is mainly europe/america/pacific :/ )
Last edited by 54x on Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Dawn (X)
North Star
Thought & Effort. (Now it's always in my posts)
Deutschsprachig, falls jemand mich braucht :)

54x
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Re: Translation projects

Post by 54x » Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:34 am

With any luck my prototype german translation will be up within a few weeks, and someone's just expressed interest in helping with a french translation. This leave, if I remember correctly, singaporean, spanish, japanese, polish, and any other languages people would be interested in having NDX in.

If I ever get REALLY bored, I'll make an Esperanto translation ;)
New Dawn (X)
North Star

4d5e6f

Post by 4d5e6f » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:59 pm

what's esperanto? is that "spanish" written in spanish?

54x
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by 54x » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:46 pm

The spanish word for spanish is Español. Esperanto is a language constructed so that people who speak very obscure languages but not english, or those who have large difficulties with english, can speak with other people from around the world. Esperanto has around a million proficient speakers, making it more spoken than many minority languages.

Seeing it's not associated with any one country, and there are almost no people who learned it from childhood, it's often described as the language equivilent of a handshake- both people have to make the effort and reach out to grasp each other's hands.
New Dawn (X)
North Star

Alliance212000

Post by Alliance212000 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:30 am

If a Spanish translation is still needed, that might be something I could help in. I have a pretty good understanding of the Spanish language, though I'm not a native.
Not sure about a couple things though:
(1) Do I need to have a Spanish copy of D2 in order to translate?
(2) Do I need to have any sort of knowledge of how the tbls and such are set up?
Let me know either via e-mail or through some sort of instant messenger (I'm stacked in that department :)) if you need my help, and if so, with the answers to those questions.
Hope to hear from someone soon.
-Adam

54x
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by 54x » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:29 am

We need a base set of the files from that language version to do the translation I'm afraid, so while you'd be able to get a spanish translation started, we'd need the original files, and also a native speaker to check your spanish (as you never know where you'll go wrong :) )
New Dawn (X)
North Star

Xeniph

Post by Xeniph » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:58 pm

Well, I've taken part in an english-->polish translation project, and got some good reviews, so... You can propably count me in for the polish translation. How about it?
The new and improved class selection screen (still in the works)

54x
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by 54x » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:11 am

Cool. I'll set you up with the spreadsheet at some point.

Note that it's going to be a while before I can actually get translated versions posted, and I need to finalise new english names first.
New Dawn (X)
North Star

deathfiend

Post by deathfiend » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:44 am

I could do french translation, but im not a native speaker and i dont have the original files, so i'd be at the bottom of the list...
A person's sig is a window into their soul...

54x
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by 54x » Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:35 am

You're going to need to be someone with the level of french/polish/spanish/whatever of a native speaker to do this. Think of it this way- do you know what the word for Sword is? You might well. But do you know the words for scimitar, longsword, twohander, executioner's blade, helm, cap, skullcap, rogue, barbarian, etc...?

And some of my items are even HARDER to translate than that :) A lot of them use english language tricks to sound more inventive than they actually are. Looking over a lot of the translations to German, which were incredibly well done, a lot of them had misread or not fully understood what I had written and needed changing, even if the new names might have sounded fine to a native speaker.

Not to be mean or anything, it's just I know that this is a particularily hard project. I'd be all over your offer if I wanted to translate my school report on Senior Camp or something else a bit simpler :)
New Dawn (X)
North Star

Return to “New Dawn & North Star”