Fileplanet now unusable for newbies - need a download guide

If you have constructive comments or suggestions about the Phrozen Keep for the staff, please post them here. Please note: this is not a forum for discussing mods or modmaking.

Moderator: Tech Support

No votes

Total votes: 0

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Fileplanet now unusable for newbies - need a download guide

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:27 pm

Since the recent Fileplanet site revamp, it is now almost impossible to download mods if you've never done so before. When you click on a download link and don't have a Gamespy ID, you get kicked to the front page, from where it is almost impossible to find the mod you are looking for.

And if you do manage to find it, you still can't download it without a Gamespy ID, but the only obvious Subscribe option costs money.

I've had about half a dozen emails about this in the first couple of days after the change, until I added a notice to both my site's front page and my forum signature. There is a How-to-download sticky thread in Feedback, but nobody sees it.

This leads to threads like this one.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to add a page to the site, with an obvious link in the left navbar [under File Center, between Main Page and File Search for example], giving a simple procedure.

Eg.

How to download

When you attempt to download a mod or tool from Fileplanet, you may get redirected to the main Fileplanet page. If this happens, click on Login to register for free (Subscribe is only for paid accounts), then log in with your new Gamespy ID and try the download link again. It should now take you to the correct page.

Occasionally, no servers may be available or you may get a File Not Found error. Just click the Back button and try again later.

This would help a lot IMO.
Last edited by Brother Laz on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:11 pm

I'll keep my personal opinions of FP to myself but you seem to have the problem down Laz so do you feel up to an extended document/guide?
If you want me to miss you, you have to GO AWAY first...

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:01 pm

'Extended gude'?

It doesn't need an extended guide, just five or ten lines to explain that being redirected to the front page is perfectly normal and that one then has to click login instead if subscribe, and try the link again instead of attempting to search for it. Something like I wrote above.
I" wrote:How to download

When you attempt to download a mod or tool from Fileplanet, you may get redirected to the main Fileplanet page. If this happens, click on Login to register for free (Subscribe is only for paid accounts), then log in with your new Gamespy ID and try the download link again. It should now take you to the correct page.

Occasionally, no servers may be available or you may get a File Not Found error. Just click the Back button and try again later.
7 lines. ;) This would be enough, provided it is in an easy to find place, like in the left navbar, and with a descriptive name.

And quick, because my M_2 downloads nearly halved since this was introduced, which is intolerable. Thusly... :twisted:

I'll try to extend it a bit. Say, 15 lines? ;)
Last edited by Brother Laz on Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Median XL released!

Yanou

Post by Yanou » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:22 pm

Guide??

Guide:

1. Just go to www.fileplanet.com.
2. There you can Login (link is placed on left-top)
3. login with your existing/new (free-)account ...
4. Close this window ...
5. go to Phrozen Keep
6. search for your download
7. start download with the correct displayed download screen from fileplanet

:D ;)

I hope that is what you wanted ;)
New Mod Maker (in progress)
Dragons Rebirth
Site + Mod Status: in Dev!!!

My Act3 PlugIn | Tutorial: How to make a chest to drop one certain Item | ...

<Image>

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:29 pm

The problem is that everyone seems to click on Subscribe instead of Login [makes sense, eh?] and gets only paid accounts, or attempts to find the mod with Fileplanet search which doesn't work, and also people tend to flip out and/or give up when they don't get servers right away or get FNF.

[Edit: point-by-point may be better. Attempt #2:]

How to download from FilePlanet 3.0

1. Click on the download link.
2. Get redirected to the FilePlanet main page.
3. Don't panic.
4. Click on Login. Not Subscribe. Login. Subscribe is for paid accounts.
5. Sign up for a free Gamespy ID.
6. Log in using your new Gamespy ID.
7. Try the download link again.
8. You now get redirected to the file's download page.
9. If you get redirected to the main page again, turn on cookies in your browser settings.
10. Pick a free server.
11. If no download servers show up or you get File Not Found, try again.
12. Download.
Last edited by Brother Laz on Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Median XL released!

pjkeas

Re: Fileplanet now unusable for newbies - need a download gu

Post by pjkeas » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:38 pm

Just a side note on downloading from FP.

You have to have cookies set to be "accepted"

I downloaded hundreds of files off there site, then one day I couldnt get anything but the main screen. Turns out the day before I installed a New Firewall and anti-virus on my server.

Another side note. I'd love to hear Phrozen Heart's opinion. Nevermind, I can guess. ;)

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:36 pm

Thanks for the sticky and the navbar link, we'll see if it helps... ;)

Though some cleaning up might be in order, to remove the useless posts like this one and leave only the download guide. ;)
Median XL released!

DemonicAngel
Forum Legend
Principality

Post by DemonicAngel » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:50 am

Brother Laz";p="239464" wrote:
How to download from FilePlanet 3.0

1. Click on the download link.
2. Get redirected to the FilePlanet main page.
3. Don't panic.
4. Click on Login. Not Subscribe. Login. Subscribe is for paid accounts.
5. Sign up for a free Gamespy ID.
6. Log in using your new Gamespy ID.
7. Try the download link again.
8. You now get redirected to the file's download page.
9. If you get redirected to the main page again, turn on cookies in your browser settings.
10. Pick a free server.
11. If no download servers show up or you get File Not Found, try again.
12. Download.
i got through steps 1-9. after i get to the correct page, which does say

"Home / Median2008_v143_full.zip
Filename: Median2008_v143_full.zip
Downloads: 43 "

somewhere at the top, there are 5 download links which say "No Waiting for subscribers", which i assume means they are not the free servers you are talking about.

below them, it says free public servers. i click on download now, but it brings me to a page which says

"The Unofficial Quake Screen Saver Version 2.02.0004 "

at the top.

am i at the right place?

there is an error message, but it just says "my request", so im not sure if im looking at the right thing.

also, since ive been trying to download the new patch, the number of downloads of it has changed from 40 to 44, so i know they cant be having the same problem.

im so fed up with this site. :cry:

i think im just going to wait for it to come to the site i originally download median 2007 and median 2008 1.42c from,. that was much easier, and i dont think i had to register for anything.

:D

[mod="Nefarius"]Don't post links to sites that host hacks, read the terms of service :nono:[/mod]
Last edited by DemonicAngel on Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Crono_Devir
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Crono_Devir » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:39 am

What does one do in the case of file planet not allowing you IP to download?

I have been unable to download for the past week or so, and there is no other reason otehr than file planet purposly blocking me.

Clicking the download now button brings up no pop-up [i have no blocker of any sort, nothing exists on my computer which can block a popup] And directly linking to thje file gives a 1000% chance to cast "The server is no logner accpeting new users" spell for 30 million years. Oh, and the server user line was always between 10/70 and 25/70.

A mirror/psp host/bitorrent server would greatly help this situation, i can host a few mods on soulseek and DC++.

I have had an account sence 1999, and i have downlaoded every thing i wanted succsessfully on the first try, untill i tried downloading requiem fo sorrow, now i can't download anyhting at all ever. I was also logged in aswell.'

I even tried file planet as DMZ host.
Last edited by Crono_Devir on Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Something that does not exist cannot bring itself into existence.

Infinity cannot be added to or subtracted from or divided, or multiplied. Numbers are not infinite either. The idea that they are is called a mathematical hallucination. Just as the idea that something can be cut by 50% infinitely is also a hallucination.

Nefarius
Retired Admin
Cherub

Hand-picked

Post by Nefarius » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:05 am

Are you sure it's not just browser settings. This would be the first time Ive heard of FP banning someones IP.
''(...) The game can basically be considered unhackable. '' - Blizzard Entertainment (30th May 2000)
Black Omen Productions | MetalStorm: Progress Report | Screenshots

Warped

Post by Warped » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:34 am

Why do you use FP for storing your files? I'm sure there's other file services that are not nearly as annoying to use.

Crono_Devir
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Crono_Devir » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:49 am

I have 3 diffrent computers on my home network, none of them can download from fileplanet.Nothing in my router settings has changed either, i Downloaded eastern sun without any problem, this was about 2 weeks ago

Infinity cannot be added to or subtracted from or divided, or multiplied. Numbers are not infinite either. The idea that they are is called a mathematical hallucination. Just as the idea that something can be cut by 50% infinitely is also a hallucination.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:39 am

Warped";p="297975" wrote:Why do you use FP for storing your files? I'm sure there's other file services that are not nearly as annoying to use.
If you're willing to find another reliable free host that is able to support the heavy traffic of the site and the gygabytes of files of the Keep and the hosted sites, we'll gladly review it.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:55 am

DemonicAngel";p="297701" wrote:i think im just going to wait for it to come to the site i originally download median 2007 and median 2008 1.42c from,. that was much easier, and i dont think i had to register for anything.
Not to mention the fact that the only place that has a link to the Fileplanet mirror is my own page (and only because I have to), and it has a link to a ModDB mirror just below it. Tunnelvision anyone?

Warped";p="297975" wrote:Why do you use FP for storing your files? I'm sure there's other file services that are not nearly as annoying to use.
True, and if you have the choice (say, you are a hosted modmaker with your own site), you can always put up a Fileplanet link and a mirror. Or two mirrors, or ten mirrors.

I don't think they allow direct links to competing download services, so just link to your page at ModDB - which uses Filefront behind the scenes. Then host it at download.com as well, which has the added benefit of distributing your file to about ten or fifteen other localised file hosts (you'll need a google search to find them all, though). You now have at least five or six non-Fileplanet mirrors.

Needless to say, many more people will download from the mirrors than from Fileplanet. (I added the ModDB mirror for 1.43 a day after the Fileplanet mirror, and it currently has 451+32 downloads versus 310 at Fileplanet)

onyx";p="298022" wrote:If you're willing to find another reliable free host that is able to support the heavy traffic of the site and the gygabytes of files of the Keep and the hosted sites, we'll gladly review it.
Preferably also one that is approved by Gamespy, because otherwise we may get booted from Planetdiablo.
Median XL released!

SaladShooter

Fileplanet now unusable for this non-newbie

Post by SaladShooter » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:20 am

I am long time lurker here and have used my free GameSpy account many times in the past to download Phrozen treats. Recently (late 2006) however FilePlanet has become totally unusable to me despite trying with several different browsers, computers and settings. If I as a professional coder/networker am having troubles doubtless many others are as well...

FilePlanets download FAQ link is dead.

Laz says not to panic but there are new toys in the Diabolic Cartography and all links now lead me to the Quake screen saver! :cry: Haven't tried from my Mac yet as its at home, will post here if that is successful.

Unrelated aside, Laz thank you for leaving the txt files in your mods.

Crono_Devir
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Crono_Devir » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:48 am

Phrozen Keep On a home server becase it sues a non-FP download servers. > fileplanet.

SeraphSight
Location: An artificial planet which serves as a paradise to catgirls.

Post by SeraphSight » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:02 am

I actually started to sign up here just to gripe about file planet seemingly telling me that i couldn't download a file as it was only available to subscribers, but it actually wasn't, after reading this, it prompted me to try it again (getting the Requiem of Sorrow" mod) and i found my problem wasn't that it was redirecting me or seemingly saying "subscribe?" in huge letters with a little hidden login, but that on the server-choice page, it didn't appear i could scroll down further to choose a free server, so i got frustrated. Fortunately, i did get it, tho, I'm busy trying out Eastern Sun, atm, I'll get to it.

Even tho your guide didn't help me directly, it did prompt me to try it again, and fix my own problem (of not paying attention, lol), so thanks.

Edit: Sorry for the necro-post, but i didn't want to make a new thread about it.
Last edited by SeraphSight on Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

<n> Dunkin Donuts is awesome for one thing.
<n> Coffee.
<n> But their donuts are ass.

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it."
-Henry Ford

poY^

Post by poY^ » Wed May 14, 2008 5:36 pm

found it! hope i can download it now...
Last edited by poY^ on Wed May 14, 2008 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enchantress: I'm gay
Dwarven Sniper: Wock n Woaded
Troll Warlord: m hmm... m hmm...

CallMeDude

Re: Fileplanet now unusable for newbies - need a download guide

Post by CallMeDude » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:09 am

You do realize that it's just retarded to keep relying on a crappy site like fileplanet, yes? 8-O
I mean, you have to make some effort just to download 1 file and often it's not even available.

It's just 120MB, you can upload it to Megaupload or even mediafire. Won't take more than 10 minutes unless you have a 56k connection :roll:

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: Fileplanet now unusable for newbies - need a download guide

Post by onyx » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:21 am

You do realize this thread is from 2008, don't you? We have moved away from File Planet long ago.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Return to “Feedback”