The new SA skill system :)

Information and updates for the Seasons After mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderators: Har'lea'quinn, enq

<t>This new skill system:</t>

Good Idea?
100%
Bad Idea?
No votes

Total votes: 6

enq
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

The new SA skill system :)

Post by enq » Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:00 am

Righto.
I think I have finally devised a good skill system that will work in well with my ideals of how the SA mod should be :)

Problems with skill systems as they stand:
Blizzard's system leaves many skills redundant due to bigger and better skills. Even after the addition of synergies many lower level skills simply get surpassed by better skills – I know that many of the better skills are better due to area of effect properties.

The Seasons After skill system doesn't work with Mac's (currently) and gives most low-level characters way too much power far too early in the game.

With most skill systems (and the items for that matter) there is always something bigger and better so monsters become bigger and better – and nothing really changes between difficulty levels. More damage becomes the overall goal making attacking skills to be a high priority - see the Paladin's Offensive Auras compared to the Defensive Auras for example (the same can be said for trade offs like Burst of Speed/Venom and Fade).

So how am I going to go about getting a better skill system?

Players will/can build their characters around the attacking skills, as usual. Defence and utility skill are where this mod will differ from most others.
All direct attacking skills (eg. Concentrate, Strafe, Ice Blast etc) will be slevel 1 - maybe up to slevel 6 skills. Beyond that every other skill (above slevel 6) will be a defensive, party or utility skill to aid in survival ;)

What this means is that you can pick your attacking skill without needing to save points towards it. After that you build your character around they style of play you like.
Want protection from missiles, melee attacks, and magic attacks? Great, but you may miss out on gaining beneficial, party helping, utility and reposting skills.
So those that like to run and physically dodge more will be able to compliment their playing skills, just as those who like to snipe can pick skills to aid in stealth and protection, for example.

Hopefully if I can do this right SA will be more of a role playing game – due to players selecting skills based on their play-style.
I know this is going to be bloody hard work but I figure I’ll give it a burl anyway ;)

:idea: Please comment and suggest ideas on this as the people I’ve told so far seem to think this could work well – if done right of course.
Last edited by enq on Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music speaks louder than words.
Music (GeorgeFM)

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Re: The new SA skill system :)

Post by Desocupado » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:36 am

Won't that make low level charcters have only destroying power?
I mean since attack skills are low level how they would be balanced to work on highter difficulties?
Maybe to change the skills tab would be better...
By making area attacks skills more expensive and weaker than single monster attacks you could be reaching a better balance.
The single monsters skills can be improved in many ways besides damage... For exemple... Increased missile speed... Tweaked acceleration... Pierce... Spaw missile on explosion...
Hope this helps with the skill system.
Keep the amount of skills points... It's one of the best things of the mod... It increases versatility of the characters.
Edit: I think to much about the sorc...
Mayb different classes could have their trees with different structures.
Last edited by Desocupado on Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

enq
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Re: The new SA skill system :)

Post by enq » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:24 am

To balance the attacking skills I was thinking along the lines of: let them reach a certain point then start balancing monsters.
ie. monsters in NM and Hell will have less life, defence and resistances but will have higher attack rating, damage and speed.

So instead of more damage players will need to gain more defensive, in items and skills.

So apart from balancing Normal (where player skills will be balanced to the monsters) in NM and Hell monsters will be balanced to the damage skills and items can deal. Seems kinda backwards I know ;)

I'd love to keep the skill system as it is - but I don't want to use any .dll work for this upcoming version. Mac users get left out in the cold which I don't like :(
If I can get the 3 points per level back in it will definately be there, without the .dll's :D
Music speaks louder than words.
Music (GeorgeFM)

Return to “Seasons After”