Your mage changes

Information and updates for the Seasons After mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderators: Har'lea'quinn, enq

No votes

Total votes: 0

D2crazed
Paladin

Your mage changes

Post by D2crazed » Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:28 am

I am continually amazed at the ignorance of folks regarding mages. Everyone who plays Barbs seem to thinks that mages are overpowered. Wait, here me out. I agree that a typical mage is very cool through to the end of nightmare. BUT>> With 90% of these mods, you can't get through hell diff solo as you can't damage the monsters. This is particularly evident when they are lightening imune. No seriously, if you can't finish the game, how the heck can you say that a mage is overpowered??? You either need to give her a physical damage spell that goes up over 500-600 damage or have a 'lower monster resist' on other trees than just ice. I sit here shaking my head once again and folks who have obviously never soloed a mage in hell....

enq
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by enq » Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:37 pm

OK so there seems to be a few problems with the Sorceress for you?

Now then:
  • No monster can get more than two immunities.
    You get three skill trees and three skill points per level - spread them around it will help.
    I have increased the damage on Wands, Staves, Orbs and given the Sorceress Class specific Bows and Crossbows - there is your Physical Damage sorted.
As for playing the game though.. I have finished LoD with a Sorceress right through Hell on the realms (solo) in Hardcore with my usual 300-500 ping. I think I have a more than fair idea of her strenghts by now :)

One thing you have to remember with mods is that the normal style of play often does not work - especially when you are given more usable spells than before, this is easy to spot.
I can accept there may be bugs/mistakes where a certain skill/monster/item is unbalanced if you have suggestions them please state them.

Btw I am not a Barb kinda person: my first character was a Fendazon, and that is still one of my favourite styles of play - that and a trap/martial Assassin ;P
Music speaks louder than words.
Music (GeorgeFM)

D2crazed
Paladin

Thanks

Post by D2crazed » Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:47 am

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you've got a handle on the issues/advantages for mages. One thing I see though that is almost a killer to get past is the lightening/fire immune monsters in hell. First they don't freeze, but there is nothing to hurt them with as the Ice tree is usually nerfed on damage. Bowazons for me are dead easy to build and win with. Usually I finish hell diff at level 70-80 if I get a good bow. Mages are truly my favorite, but I hate the 9year old crap of hitting with a puny ice spell for 15minutes to get the critter to half life... so I just move on to a different mod. I am frankly surprised that you soloed hell/hardcore without something odd available to you that I haven't figured out yet.
Thanks again for the patient reply.
G

enq
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by enq » Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:37 am

I agree Lightning/Fire monsters can be hard but I have increased the damage of most Cold spells - Frozen Orb being the only exception.

The main problem is that I have not yet changed Cold Mastery to be a direct subtraction from monster resistances rather than it's current percentage based system. Once this has been changed the Cold tree will be very much more effective :)

Though thinking today I may change Telekinesis to deal physical damage (per your suggestion of a physical spell) - as that would make sense, more than Lightning damage. Though until I test this I am unsure how it will interact with Lightning Mastery. If it works, it sticks, if it doesn't then.. :(

Btw that solo through Hell was on the realms so that's standard Blizzard LoD.
Music speaks louder than words.
Music (GeorgeFM)

Return to “Seasons After”