My SA experiences and a semi-quasi-partial review. :)

Information and updates for the Seasons After mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderators: Har'lea'quinn, enq

Poli

My SA experiences and a semi-quasi-partial review. :)

Post by Poli » Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:05 am

First off: Great mod Enq, definitely one of the least appreciated of the bunch here at the Keep.

Observations:

I'm not far at all so really this just a very basic observation so far but I will be updating this as I make my way through the game.

So far the difficulty has been really good, it hasn't been a cakewalk and also my Assassin NiNjaKi hasn't had any REAL trouble so far. Hopefully I get my ass handed to me soon. Of course this IS normal diff. ;)

The starting equipment was ditched as soon as I got higher stat stuff. I wasn't waiting to get gems to put into my armor / helms, not worth it. However the starting claws were pretty juicy and I quickly added some sapphires / rubies / emeralds to them. Maybe if you wanted the equipment to stay useful a bit longer and yet stay balanced would be to add some per level mods. I haven't found any unique items yet so I can't comment on them but the rares seem to drop at just the right amount and so do the magic items. Again, I haven't been too far yet so I'm just wasting our time typing this probably. :)

I've had an easy time finding gold since the throwing potions really sell like hotcakes! And potions drop a bit too frequently for my tastes so the economy isn't very rewarding on those scrooges who hoard the money. Rather so far it can basically be ignored unless you want potions. But then you can just pick up a few throwing potions and load up.

Skills are pretty balanced so far, not having an easy time and not having an incredibly difficult time (this is normal act 1 so hehe). I chose to get Burst of Speed, Claw Mastery and Fire Claws as my skill point investments and it's worked out nicely. Fire Claws do just the right amount of damage in my opinion so far. Great job.

Monsters are great! You've truely done an incredible job balancing weaknesses and strengths and mashing them together.

Level 11 and growing.. I will keep you all updated on NiNjaKi's progress. :)
Last edited by Poli on Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Poli

bow down before the one you serve - you're going to get what you deserve

Poli

Re: My SA experiences and a semi-quasi-partial review. :)

Post by Poli » Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:26 am

Little update I just remembered/found again. I found a bunch of magic javelins and they sold for somewhere around 700 bucks.. I identified them (to Javelin of Flame) and they only now sell for 1! :)
-Poli

noELrunes
Champion of the Light

Post by noELrunes » Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:37 am

ah Poli I was wondering where you've been (and yes I've gotten your PM)

enq is thinking of doing the mod to where they add so much per level on the starting weapons (example: Attack Rating) and some other things next patch.

and the board members at the HoE board are trying to remake HoE and rebuild. Hush hush about that :x

enq
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by enq » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:49 am

Poli" wrote:First off: Great mod Enq, definitely one of the least appreciated of the bunch here at the Keep.
Don't believe that for a second ;)
While there are not as many people who play SA, the people who do play seem to really like it - and not post on forums it seems hehe :)
There a few people who I have contact with over email, some play in a LAN with a party of four characters that started out as a party of two, IIRC :D

I do plan on adding +per level mods (as per noELrunes suggestion ;))
But in addition I have just added some potions/oils that seem kinda useless but in fact are useful later in the game:
http://www.planetdiablo.com/seasons/ima ... s/oils.jpg

Currently there are only six of these and are only low level items - they work just like gems and do these things: help with stamina, poison damage/resistance, life regen, mana regen, half freeze duration and repair items/replenish stack. So you can see that they don't do too much each but do have uses later on :)
They also change your items colour :D

Throwing potions are too valuable they will be changed - but not as badly as the noted thrown weapons have been ;)
Throwing Clubs will also get a bit better next time around.

As for monster balance I'm really glad you like it :D
I've been playing a bit myself to test it and I keep tweaking each monster as I fight them ;)
Despite that I can't believe some of the bad monster placements I've made - I'm really good at making typos with the laptop as there is no keypad :(

Thanks heaps for your comments, all this stuff is so useful when it comes to modding :) I can see where things are going right and work on continuing that throughout the mod ;)
Last edited by enq on Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music speaks louder than words.
Music (GeorgeFM)

noELrunes
Champion of the Light

Post by noELrunes » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:13 pm

would it be possible to somehow add some nice Monty Python humor and make a special unique potion "The Holy Hand Grenade'?

as in, it would have insane toss elemental damage (around 2.5k or something) like those small potions, but the catch would be to have to be lvl 99 in order to use it ^_^;;

enq
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by enq » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:33 pm

It would be possible to do :)
The Assassin's Fire Blast is like that now doing somewhere near 2.5k damage at slvl40 ;)
Music (GeorgeFM)

Poli

Post by Poli » Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:37 am

Got my first death experience tonight.. extra strong Fallen Shaman = superscary. I noticed something odd with their firebolts also, it will travel around (estimation) half a screen then it will disappear, but it still hits. Muchos scary when trying to dodge those boss pack shots!

I found my going a little bit easier, even on players 4, cept for the shamans and the uh.. ugly guys that shoot white balls of light. (can't recall their names) I suggest maybe upping the damage count on some other monsters adorning act 1. I didn't add much to vitality also, so that can't be it.

First on the list was getting Cain so I had to see the Tree and his brutes. Wow, his damage was high even though he ran as slow as molasses. I didn't kill him as he was too tough for me but I killed his minions and grabbed the scroll.

I went through Tristram dodging the fallen shaman here and there and killing the other bosses, but I didn't see Griswold as he was protected by a horde of shaman.

I dodged The Smith, grabbing the hammer and running away as his room was filled and I mean FILLED with fallen shaman so I can't comment on his hp/dmg, sorry. But that room had a boss pack and 3 champion shamans! SCARY! ><;;

Next was BoneAsh, decent difficulty but I killed all of them after taking a bit of time to lure them out, 3-5 at a time, of their HUGE mob.

I made my way pretty easily, killing rat men, bone mages, and arachs with relative ease until I got down to Catacombs 4, using my lvl 1 CB Sentry I knocked out the stone skin ugly-guys-who-shoot-light-out-of-their-mouths boss pack, then headed over to Andariel which was one helluva fight! I had to make 2 trips to town to kill her with CB Sentry and Fists of Flame.. nicely done Enq. I grabbed my Skull and 2 unique items (Rogue's Bow and erm.. an Axe of some sort) and headed to A2.

Overall, pretty good difficulty/funness but it got boring after Tristram area as nothing but Fallen Shaman could really hurt me all that much. So there was a lot of dodging to do since I have no great ranged attacks and their invisi-bolts can wreak some havoc on my vitality-starved Assassin. I noticed that even rare Javelins sell for 1 after being identified also..

I had to quit there as I have more fun playing in spurts than one big session. :)

Next: Radament and gathering the staff! Stay tuned! :P
Last edited by Poli on Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Poli

enq
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by enq » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:30 am

Those Fallen Shaman are definately a worry now - I like that :D
The same will be happening for Flayer Shaman and the other types of monsters that interact with others :scary:
The missiles not reaching you is sadly a known Blizzard bug :cry: - though the added class specific bows are there for just these kind of encounters ;)

However Fallen Shaman are getting a slight nerf to their physical resistance which is currently quite high - hopefully I can get away with that rather than lowering their damage, this should also encourage the class specific bow usage :mrgreen:

Speaking of which I had a level 32 Bow Only Barbarian for a while but sadly he fell to a large pack of monsters on the Arreat Plateau.
He actually did quite well with a 200ish damage bow after I used the socket recipe to create a 3 socket magic Long War Bow, then added some Emeralds and an Amythist for speed and AR :)

As you say later on the game is easier after Tristram (I think this is mainly due to the generally higher character level) but I plan to fix this - starting with Skeleton Mages and working up to the Brute style monsters :twisted:

Hmm Radament, he shouldn't be too hard, though I can think of some areas in Act II where I ran ;)
Music (GeorgeFM)

Poli

Post by Poli » Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:36 pm

Yeah, I enjoy the added difficulty of those Shaman also.. they're something else! :mrgreen:

Decided to take another hour outta my sleep schedule to play :P

I just got the cube.. and that Undead Knight OMG! I died 5 times, first time losing a 95% complete EXP bar. They just chop my Shadow up while any ranged attacks I do is almost nullified by their players 4 hp. (for me anyways hehe) and everytime I get close to them, they chop me up in 3 swings! Very very nice Enq. Evil.. but nice.

Flawed Weapon (Assassin recipe)

1 Flawed Amethyst == +20-70% Damage
+ Magic Jewel == +20-100 Attack Rating
+ Tir Rune (r03) == +8-25% Target Defense
+ Magic Weapon

Just tried that out on a cestus and recieved this:
+12% Enhanced Damage
+58 Attack Rating
Knockback
+15% Enhanced Defense (Based on Clvl)
Fire resist +8%
Damage reduced by 4

Required lvl 28 (!!)

Not at all what I wanted.. what a waste of a Tir rune! Wahhhh! :cry: :cry:

Oh yeah and Radament *was* quite easy. Only one trip up! ;)

And.. one more thing, I was looking at the uniques section of the site and noticed there were no new Claws (or Claws section lol) .. are there any plans for any? Assassin gets quite the short end when it comes to unique weapons. What was Blizzard thinking only making that many?! How many Assassins do you see running around with anything BUT claws? Grr.

Peace. Lovin' the mod thus far enq.
Last edited by Poli on Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Poli

noELrunes
Champion of the Light

Post by noELrunes » Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:24 pm

ah I'm on hardcore.

and yea those fallen shaman do give me trouble.

fire bolt from shaman + 60 hp at level 1 + no fire res = run barb run

Pumped up vitality (now level 12, with 150 HP) and the bolts take off about 1/8th of my HP @_@!!

Found the dark wood waypoint, going to beef up my attack rating (its around 250, level 3 throwing mastery and some points in dex) so I can take down Treewood Stormfist hopefully.

enq
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by enq » Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:59 am

That's right, the undead knights around the cube! hehe I (quite seriously) couldn't remember any parts of Act II that were really bad - I started to worry that I had not put in any little supprises! :(
Following that - watch out for the cats with potions ;)

I must say they do put up a good fight! Maybe their mods could be changed a bit to make them a little easier but as yet I have had no complaints about them.

Sorry about the crafting loss :( (I'll replace the parts if you wish - I've done that for others who have had bad luck with other bugs I've made).
Basically the recipes on the site are wrong - I changed them all in the latest version for a bit more variation :)
I am working on the pages currently - but there are 900+ recipes to do though I can compress that down a bit ;) - I'll put a note on the site.

There is a unique Hand Scythe (http://www.planetdiablo.com/seasons/uni ... assin.html) - which looks quite overpowered, currently...
noELrunes" wrote:Treewood Stormfist
I quite like that new name!! Though he would then have to be Lightning Enchanted haha :twisted:
Music (GeorgeFM)

noELrunes
Champion of the Light

Post by noELrunes » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:17 pm

curses, treewood might be in 3.21...? 8-O
A secret is well kept by 3 people if 2 are dead

enq
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by enq » Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:50 pm

I have changed him a bit: He has lower defence - just so melee characters can actually get a hit in ;)
Though he did get a bit of Physical Resistance.

I wouldn't change him to LE as it would mean I'd have to remove the Magic Resistant mod from him - he would have very high lightning resistance otherwise.
That and I prefer using the Magic Resistant mod on SuperUniques rather than adding resistances which you can't see :(
Music (GeorgeFM)

Poli

Post by Poli » Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:22 pm

I'm going to be moving out on my own very soon so I haven't had time (nor will I any time soon) to play the mod anymore than I have. Sorry about that Enq, I had every intention of going through the game as my sexy assassin and giving you balance/bug reports/suggestions as I love doing that sort of thing.

Oh well, thanks for the mod Enq and keep on tweaking that mod! Maybe I'll come back one day and check out the latest v99.99 build or something! :)

Farewell..
-Poli

enq
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by enq » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:59 am

Farewell dude, it is sad to see you go :(

I was really enjoying the blow by blow review - it remined me of Sirian's website with these kind of Diablo journals :)

Good luck with the move, hope everything goes smoothly :)

As for the next version, well... if I am able to make the changes I have planned then the mod will be quite different indeed :mrgreen:
Check the .plan thread for more on that.

Farewell, best of luck to you :D
Music (GeorgeFM)

mikotian
Paladin

Post by mikotian » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:43 am

this mod is too hard on hell... my lvl 85 palladin using a lvl 40 Conc and zealing with a 240 dmg crafted battle hammer has LOTS trouble killing even a lowly zombie in act 1... and blessed hammer really blows in hell too. I can't even sweep the bloodmoor! granted i am on players 8 but I think that is the difficulty the game is meant to be played on.

I think you should up the dmg of both conc and blessed hammer in the next patch. and also maybe give zeal a little +dmg per lvl?? maybe like 8%?? and vengence costs way too much mana IMHO. With good mana leech eq hard to find and the leech penalty on hell I'm constantly burning pots.

also increase stash!!!! I love huge stashes :)

enq
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by enq » Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:48 am

Hell is meant to be hard :twisted:

Zeal will be getting a %damage increase per skill level sometime soon - it will work in a similar manner to the way Strafe does currently.

I also plan to remove the 50% global physical resist from Hell at some stage (once I get a few other things sorted ;))
The increased stash plugin for SA (seperate from the mod) will be coming soon.
Music (GeorgeFM)

Xphalo

Druid review... low lv... up 2 act 2

Post by Xphalo » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:44 am

Hey enq... mate have to say Greatest balance mod eva....EVa

Love the chance to get killed and mauled horrible... with the shamans being nasty and all....

i have a big post but hey ill try to cut the crap...(ok maybe not)

Iam using a WearBear Hybrid and currently cyclone armour... it makes me immune to shamans... i had it lv 5 or 6 i think... and the only time i had to recast it (besides after almost every fight for safety reasons) was against a huge bunch of minion shaman wif a unique near boneash, i almost died... got me on bout 12 life in wearbear form and with cyc armour on... but just ran to portal in time... and made it out...

i tink was the only time i almost died... i am hoping act 2 is harder... much more dmg ... well ok i aint really hoping for it but hey...lol

i am currently using a wearbear hybrid who ( thanx to yor mod) is cool, i plan to use fury ( although 2 attacks sounds preety dull...maybe 3???) ...fire claws... hunger combined with Fissure and hurricane as crowd control.... which is sweet cauz in ya mod i actually hav enouf skill points to do it.. .(MADD AS)

i am lv 21 in act 2... i went really slowly doing everything real proper ..every wp ... every section...

and wif andy..i was lucky enouf to find clegclaws claw... (75% poison length reduced)... and i still had (and have in act 2) my "frostlifevenom" animal guide which made it +85% length reduced and i found a magic ring with the single attribute 25% poison reduction... so i was preety much set .... having 110% plr.... so got down there... with measly 23 posion resistance....whooped her ass ... ( they say she didnt like fire) i was using grizwalds egde ..which is a damn fine gift for killing griz... which put my dmg at 66-135 with lv 4 heart and fissure doing 51-61 at lv 7 ( i dunno if it was then but it is now only 1 or 2 levels ago ) ... i didnt even get scratched....was prolly too easy.. then i got my nice rogues bow for my rogue ...which is formittable with artic furs, which is also wat i am wearing ...which is cool cauz i am a wearbear.... :)

yeah so far MADD ASS modd but i think the druid has it preety easy.... having minions elemental dmg and boosted melee... damn nice.... fissure for the groups and then a sprint to the unique or shaman... workd well... (ps: the sprinting idea is cool leave it in nxt version... MAKE EM walk for they money )...lol bad pun....

ok sorry i actually made this post a bit longer tan i expected...

to end i will just list everything my char has to ne one looking over this post to judge for your self if it is over powered.... o by the way i was playing the whole game on players 4.

STR 79 DEX 55 VIT 35 NRG 25

human/Bear
Life 111/99
Mana 85/85

Ar 435/549( heart of wolverine)
Def 140/364! liking this!

Dmg (normal attack) 61-125 bear/ 66-135 bear +heart
Dmg Fissure 51-61 NICE!!!! lv 7!!!!

ITEMS
WEP:Grizwalds edge Shield: Clegclaws Claw
Rmour: Artic furs!.. yeah go the bear style...
Helm: Gemmed Animal guide (travellers item) "frostLifeVenom" gemmed with nifty ass potion tat akara sells!
Gloves: Hand of broc... 1% dual leech>??? 3 was small enouf geez, but still good
Belt Deaths Guard
Ammy +6 life magic... upgraded frm +5 hehe... only not great item i use
Rings: Left: rare +4 STR, +5 DEX FR +5% Right: 12% mf +1 light +10 AR
boots rares wif heaps of stats are good but iam lazy....dnt want to bore every one...lol as if i havent done tat already.

Skills
Shape-skills
Lycan 10 (11 animal guide) BEAR 10 WOLF 1
Maul 1 FERAL 1( this skill is MADD should be both forms with higher stats!)
Paws 1 (plan to get to 10)

Summons
Raven 1... pre
Poison Creeper 5!... the 3 skills a level rocks cauz tis is hell useful at low lv
Spirt wolf 5
Dire 4 (plan 5)
Heart 4( plan 10)
oak 1
plan to get lv 10 griz... wif added bonuses of lv 5 others makes great meat shield

Elemental
Boulder 1 ( crap even at low lv wif high dmg... physics of skill suck!)
Fissure MADD SKILL ! 7 (plan 10)
volcano 1 ( was testing c if it was betta tan fissure... NO .. fissure is best!)
Artic 1
Cyclone armour ! ...Madd 7 (plan 10)
twister 1 (plan to get hurricane)

all the (planed lv 10 ) skills iam gnna get to lv 10 ideally in normal mode, nm and hell should bring lvs and more skill points to which i will get them aHaP ( as high as possible)

ok tats bout it... now judge wether u think the druid is too powerful....
or do i just have lucky finds (3 sets and 2 uniques i think ) and a strong build

o one more thing... those throwing items and druid specific bows... how may ppl make elemental only druids and on top of tat who would if u can use them in fur forms... so using a bow loses the ranged benif if you are a shifter druid... (like me- althought i dnt need one.. heheh fissure rules!)..lol

ok i am preety sure tat i have got my msg across tat fissure RULES and so does this moD!.... thanx Enq!!!! this mod rocks... damn just writing this i lost like 1/2 an hour playing time... ( i aint a slow typer but hey i arnt just typin)....

THIS MOD ROCKS :D :D :D
As the fierce battle rages on,the party fallen to the might of the Strogg...the INCUBI laughs
"and u thought u could challange me"
his voice echos in the heads of the fallen warriors..

enq
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by enq » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:58 am

Firstly, thanks for the comments :D
Just a note: please don't write in slang/l33t speak as it is not easy to read - in addition there are people who have English as a second language.

Act 2 can be a bt harder - just ask noElrunes about that one ;)

With regards to the Werebear - I think I did try to enable all attacks for both wereforms but they did not work out right, I'll try it again though.
Andariel needs a little more tweaking, you were about the right level by the sounds of things but I need to change the experience gain and monster stats to suit things a bit better. Generally Andariel is a really good fight :)

I don't think the Druid is too powerful just yet as other areas should start to slow him down a bit.

Sadly I am unable to get Druids using throwing weapons or bows (using ranged attacks) while he is in a wereform :cry:
That said it is probably the reason why his summons/spells are so powerful.
I have thought about changing his bows to be more like javelins/throwing weapons so he can use the melee attack at least.

Glad you like the mod :)
Music (GeorgeFM)

Xphalo

Post by Xphalo » Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:12 pm

hey enq... sorry about all the slang it is just force of habit.... i almost wrote that whole sentance in it too...

ok iam just into act 2, i have emptied the rocky waste and moved through the stony tomb... onto the dry hills where i found the halls of the dead... generally the groups of hallow ones are a decent fight i was useing players 5 now (as players 4 was too weak!) but the only trouble i had was a lighting enchanted hallow one unique, and with him i was fast enough at skill switching to recast my cyclone armour in time, so i beat him with time, the 2nd thing that almost killed me was the doom knights... which were a madd fight..... i used 2 healing potions and 2 rejuvies and that was it .,.... he droped 3 runes... and i was thinking that he might be my rune source for a while... couple of doom knight runs ( on say players 5 or 6) and i could actually start crafting a few decent items... hmmm

althought i know this isnt what is ment to be done as it follows in the stoopid cow and bloody13q423 games.... so i suppose ill hold back for now.... but i think i will eventually cave... :)

ok well thanx ... and keep up the good work
As the fierce battle rages on,the party fallen to the might of the Strogg...the INCUBI laughs
"and u thought u could challange me"
his voice echos in the heads of the fallen warriors..

noELrunes
Champion of the Light

Post by noELrunes » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:53 pm

I'm about level 23, and trying to get the viper amulet.

I doubt cow runs would do anything, since I'm guessing that I'd be level 99 by act 3 hell or something.

this is just on players 3. Heh.
A secret is well kept by 3 people if 2 are dead

enq
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by enq » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:14 am

The Undead Knight boss in the Halls of the Dead will always drop those three runes - I made that so party players could redo the quest if they wished (the runes make the runeword Beauty - so keeping your Travellers helm from the start is a good idea :))

Wait until you get to the Bloody Foothills - you may reconsider doing runs there once you see the changes ;)
As for the Cow level I can't recall what I changed there and did not document but whatever I changed they should not be too easy hehe :twisted:
Music (GeorgeFM)

Return to “Seasons After”