The Defile

This forum allows mod makers with projects in the beginning stages to showcase their mod.

No votes

Total votes: 0

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

The Defile

Post by Myhrginoc » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:43 am

Prolific poster sPoT offers up his own spin on the game:

The Defile

Project coordinator: sPoT
Project Version: for LOD 1.10

Mod Details:
Storyline: No changes planned for this part of modding for now, maybe in future - minor npc and layout design.
Item modifications: For now, minor changes. I'm going to minimalize monsters' item drop frequency, mnimalize vendors' selling possibilities. Most of items you'll be able to find in chests or monsters' bodies. Some of them will need cube transformations. Generally for weapons and armors: I'm going to minimalize their statistics, and make every item as much useable as possible. Gold drops rarely, so that you'll have to be economical. Really economical...
Characters' and monsters' skills: Big changes planned. Mainly minimalizing huge differences between skills, minimalizing their possibilities, frequency of using. At monsters: various skills, really new meaning of skills and spells.
Informations on characters: Every character will start with the same set of skills and items. You have to search in chests and monsters' bodies for new items. You'll have the basic equipment which allow you to survive in wilderness. Basically you'll have 3 stat points per level up to distribute in 4 different values: Strength, Dexterity, Vitality and Magic. There will be very many class specified items. They would be hard to find of course.
Informations on monsters: There will be lots of new monsters with new set of skills, parameters. You'll se lot of old ones too, but every monster will have absolutely new properties. They will use items, have different drops. All of them will be absolutely original.
Other info: I'm going to place many new sounds, graphics, strings, where neccesary. Map changes are planned, but in higher mod versions.
Code editing: It's neccesary, but will be implemented in higher mod versions. Mainly minor code editing work.
Plugins: For now, i don't use any of plugins, but I'm going to use D2Mod Utility Kit, PlugY, some minor plugins possible.
Some Screenshots:
Screenshot001 - New Quill Rat's Poisoning Missile
Screenshot002 - Only basic hat available at Charsi. You have to find other stuff in wilderness...
Screenshot003 - Just monster's description.

I'm going to do modding mainly at weekends and days free from work, so some patience will be great :mrgreen:

Hope, you'll enjoy my mod.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:55 am

Thank you for posting it Myhrginoc. I have been waiting for it about two days, but it's definitely worth of it :)
Now I can start with working on mod seriously, and I can't say: I don't have motivation. It's for public now :D.
It's 10:54am Polish time, so I've just got up, and going to eat something, and I'll be ready to modding. I'll try to put there, what is done for today.

[EDIT]: Something is wrong with screenshots, so I'll give a new links for them later.
[EDIT2]: Here you've got it: The Defile - Gallery
Last edited by sPoT on Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do you know that every modding question has an answer? Just use the power, click me!
"The Defile" - Forum - currently closed
The best guide for every modmaker!

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Re: The Defile

Post by sPoT » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:16 pm

WHAT IS DONE FOR TODAY?

So far, it's version 0.00 alpha
Changes done:

CHARACTERS:
- Decreased characters' run/walk speed
- Decreased attacking speed
- Decreased characters' base parameters
- Now characters start with empty equipment, but with 1 minor potion of vital energy and 1 minor potion of spiritual energy in belt space
MONSTERS:
- Added/changed Quill Rat monster -> Quill Fiend: changed parameters, treasure class, skills
ITEMS:
- Added Copper Ring - warrior class ring
- Changed strings for many of old items in order to make them "fresh" Key for example
- Changed effect of some potions, also prices

There are few more changes, which aren't worth of placing there. They're needed for testing phase, and might change again. It's still not too much of changes, but I'm still beating with few of my ideas, and I'm going to discover how to make them work.
Last edited by sPoT on Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you know that every modding question has an answer? Just use the power, click me!

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:23 pm

Sounds great, the minimalist in me likes it, every little thing you find will be useable and you'll be happy just to find that basic item.
I hope you are able to complete everything you started out planning to do.
I know I had to make some cut backs so far,
Keep up the good work, and don't let the lack of interest stop you from modding, people dont get excited about anything until its almost done because too many mods have died before their time.

-mishy23
{Modding status: Project X}

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:13 am

Thank you Mishy. I like small things too, and prefer to do minor change but perfectly, than add lots of changes that makes no sense. Everything should be planned.

In "The Defile" you will be able to find many items, but you have to spend much time on it, and I'm not talking about uniques.

Now one more information: I'm going to work on my mod at weekends and days free of work (now my winter holidays are going to finish), because I live in other city for everyday - I'm going to school in Warsaw, and can't get my computer :( But I promise weekly changes...
Last edited by sPoT on Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:35 pm

So far, it's version 0.01 alpha
Changes done:

ITEMS:
- Added 13 axe type weapons
SCREENSHOTS:
Axes - Axes in general, some goodies for eyes 8-O
Hatchet - First Axe class weapon, the weakest one, but even this weapon is expansive and you have to be carefull - you can't repair every item!!!
Hatchet - another kind of the same item! Take a look at absolutely different parameters! You can find many items of the same kind but these can differ very much!
Hatchet - Like hatchet before
Axe - Another axe, still one-handed
Double Bladed Axe - It's rather powerfull weapon with high statistics.
Double Bladed Axe - Better version. It's very nice axe. I mean it's statistics.
Heavy Axe - One handed axe with so high statistics would make pleased everyone! But try to find it :mrgreen:.

I hope, you like these axes. You can be sure of low statistics in mod :) Not all of these would be in shops. You have to find almost every of these on monsters. Good luck in future ;)

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:12 pm

Hello again :D
This week I want to introduce you a new modder, who decided to work together with me. Two heads are better that one ;)
The lucky modder will be Yellon :) He is Pole, and is 17 years old, just like me :o
He would take mainly graphic and multimedia work as his part of modding. So that you could see many new good looking graphics in Defile. I'm pleased of finding such good co-operated with me modder. We hope to create something good together.
You can be sure of bigger part of work done each week - I have said, I'll be in home two days a week - Saturday and Sundays (from morning till afternoon).
We have to compare our ideas and plans before we start to do modding, but you can expect some extra work next week.
Greetings from both sPoT and Yellon :P
Last edited by sPoT on Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:38 pm

So far, it's version 0.02 alpha
Changes done:

ITEMS:
- Added 5 knife type weapons

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:08 pm

Hello. We are starting with weekly uptade of Defile.

So far, it's version 0.03 alpha
Changes done:

GENERAL:
- PlugY Utility Kit v.4.04 installed
- D2Mod Utility Kit v.1.02 installed
ITEMS:
- New fruit class items, 1 so far
- New shuriken weapon class items, 1 so far
- All items are destructable, and not repairable!
GRAPHICS:
- Started working on new inventory, still not finished, but we have alpha version of it (need fixing)
SCREENSHOTS:
Inventory - don't look at stash, it all needs to be fixed for now.

Sorry for small amounts of changes, but we all have less or more important things to do - not only modding. We'll try more next week.

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:59 pm

Hello everyone again. I'm not sure if I am not talking with myself, and this mod have at least one, very poor fan, but the beginnings are always the hardest :cool:. I must say, that yesterday I have ridden "General modding guide" by Char again. It made me rethink everything again. For now, I added some unnecessary items and changes. I realized, that the most important thing for now is mod's "backbone" :P Then I started looking for a person, who would help me with CE issues. These are necessary to start working on the mod. Currently I'm corresponding with Havvoric about some help. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! ;)

We have Easter now, so there is some time to spend on modding. I'm going to pull up my socks, and finally do some work, not only play different games, whose made me lazy and bored of modding. What an evil stuff! :twisted:

I'm going to write some informations describing Defile, but today's night I'm planning to rethink some things again...

P.S: Hey you! Lonely Defile fan :) Please be patient. It's all about this mod going better and better :cool:

[EDIT]:

Just revealed something nice. Some monsters would have different damaging skins. For example Quill Rat has many spikes on it's skin. You will be surely hit by them!
Last edited by sPoT on Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:17 pm

sPoT";p="217420" wrote:Then I started looking for a person, who would help me with CE issues. These are necessary to start working on the mod. Currently I'm corresponding with Havvoric about some help.
PM me with what you want to accomplish, I may have some edits already figured out that I could share. I am also aware of a couple of projects to be released soon, so you may find your needs already in the pipeline. (Obviously I can't tell you about the projects themselves, but I could give you a "wait a few" hint.)
~ Mark Twain
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:35 pm

Hello again!
This week I'm coming with three informations. You must know, these are two good informations and one bad :-|.
A lot of time have past since I decided to reply. It's over 20 days! (21 exactly). I have to say sorry.
Then it is the time to write my news. I'm beginning with bad news:
:arrow: Last Sunday my computer crashed (I don't know what it is exactly yet, but it's rather bigger crash). This means, that I can't work on project this weekend and propably going to start next week. I must say, that I'm going back to home once every week for Friday's afternoon and Saturday (sometimes half of Sunday too), so I have not too much time to spend on working on Defile. It's bad news. Also I would lose all of my recent work due to disc format (I have old mod backup). It's all of bad news.
Then, the good ones:
:arrow: I found a method to change necessary game's mechanics values! These are starting ac, ac per dexterity and such... These would allow me to work with higher motivation and make no chaos :D.
:arrow: Last week I started to write my project on paper! It means, that I'm going to use my brain before copmuter work :mrgreen:. Lots of things would change if I get my computer back (from service). It means nearly TOTAL REVOLUTION!!!. I'm going to write some more next week, because of lack of time now.

I hope, someone is reading it :mrgreen:

TrueMage
Hosted Forum Moderator
Principality
Russia

Post by TrueMage » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:00 am

Yes, we are reading it! ;)

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Fri May 27, 2005 6:52 am

Please, lock this topic. I might come with update at holidays, when more time will come... :cool:

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:47 am

Unlocked at modmaker's request...
~ Mark Twain

theonlymoose
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by theonlymoose » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:03 am

Hey Spot!! You got a downloadable version of what you've been working on yet?!?

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:31 am

Hello buddies :). This week I'm coming with good information. Nearby all of us have so much free time now. I'm sorry for people who have to work and work everytime (so do my father for example).

Some time has been lost. More time is still being wasted. That's enough! I determined to pull up my socks and get myself lazy no more :). It means that I want to mod! It sounds nice, but I need your help. Modding is quite boring and modders needs motivation :). Okay, okay - blah blah blah... It's enough again! Then I stop, stfu and get back to the topic...

Much of paper work has been done since last progress report. Well, very much stuff is going to be implemented, and another part of very much stuff is going to be changed. I think that writing: "Blizzard is so unresponsible, that made sooo big unbalance" is boring. It has been done by Laz/Joel/anyone else hundreds of time. That's right! That's holy right! I'm going to bore you... Coming with right changes:

So far, it's version 0.04 pure
Changes done:

First of all, the version name "Pure" - mean, that it's a bunch of work to implement ;).

GENERAL:
- PlugY Utility Kit v. 5.06 installed

CHARACTERS:
- Now you are able to play as only three characters: priestess, sorcerer and barbarian (again and again :))

OTHER:
- implemented 5-page stash to hide your goodies in (stash is normal size, also inventory and cube
- Baldur's Gate Mod User Interface Plug-in attached :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It isn't too much! Why? Because all work has gone... and new version need new changes. Old ones were too fast, unruminated changes. New "pure" version mean new gameplay, new predictions and so...
I'm going to use most of current resources. Somewhere graphical changes, but all old stuff isn't bad. It's only bad balanced. I hope I'll accomplish to finish it.
More report coming very soon. There are still so many thoughts, and these are worth of writing down there.

@Theonlymoose: I've got it on CD, but try to believe me - it's not worth of installing yet. Lack of changes and so on... Better wait for few new patch releases, and you'll be more pleased. Greetings!
Last edited by sPoT on Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

theonlymoose
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by theonlymoose » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:11 pm

sPoT";p="234560" wrote:@Theonlymoose: I've got it on CD, but try to believe me - it's not worth of installing yet. Lack of changes and so on... Better wait for few new patch releases, and you'll be more pleased. Greetings!
OK. :D Just thought I'd ask.

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:52 pm

No problem buddy :) It motivates me that one more person is interested in my modification, even if it's on low completion level. Wait for next versions! ;)

theonlymoose
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by theonlymoose » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:55 pm

Run Spot, Run!

:lol: Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one. :mrgreen:

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:03 am

Just thought, it might be nice news to introduce you characters you can choose to play in Defile. I'm still working on them, but progress stay on early stages. First of all you have to know, there will be only three classes in Defile. Why three? Because all of seven are very similar and differences between them are small. However balance differences are huge, and I want to make it like in D1 - three characters, much fun and so... By the way: even the three D1 characters are very similar (maybe I should exclude sorceror).

The three classes:
Hunter: Old barbarian conversion. This guy will have some combat skills like old barbarian's skills, also paladin's and assassin's skills. Even if not exactly the same skills, these will be similar. Barbarian can use the heaviest weapons, and his damage is high, but the minus is attack speed, running speed etc. Hunter is still similar to Vanilla barbarian.
Dark Priest: Old necromancer conversion. This character will have many different combat and spell like skills. He is going to be half warrior and half mage character. Some enhancements, some summons, some combat spells and combat skills. Just everything mixed in one :mrgreen:. He will fight with staves, and medium class weapons. He might be the most interesting character in Defile.
Witch: this lady will be conversion of old Vanilla sorceress. She will again have many many combat and defense spells. She is meant to be the weakest character in Defile, but with most of dexterity and magic. She might fight with use of light items. Generally she might be difficult to play. And she will be... I swear :)

Skills are still in development. But there are priorities, like items and monsters at the moment. You have to wait for more info about characters. Current info might be not too interesting, but is gives information about just three characters - not more.

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:32 pm

News are coming ;).
Within the one/two weeks time, the official site of "The Defile" modification should be ready to work. The layout is nearly ready to use. Now I have to spend some time on writing necessary text. It will be in two languages: Polish and of course English. Content of site should be nice. I'm planning to write something about items, monters, skills, and some new systems. You will find also screenshots, downloads, FAQ, and other hyperlinks. You will propably find much more content on site, that in this topic. I hope you will enjoy. So, please be patient.

Log out

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:30 am

I'm coming with important note...
"The Defile" modification will stand by 1.10 patch version. There are some plugins, which are working only under 1.10 version, and 1.11 patch brings small amount of changes, so I have decided not to update the mod's running version.

[UPDATE]

The final experience table is no longer under development. It's ready for your eyes 8-O.
Small note: Now there are only 30 levels to achieve. It doesn't mean, that you'll get them instantly... Just some balance thing.

Level/Experience Needed
1. 0
2. 2500
3. 5500
4. 10000
5. 16000
6. 23500
7. 32500
8. 43000
9. 55000
10. 68500
11. 83500
12. 100000
13. 118000
14. 137500
15. 158500
16. 181000
17. 205000
18. 230500
19. 257500
20. 286000
21. 316000
22. 347500
23. 380500
24. 415000
25. 451000
26. 488500
27. 527500
28. 568000
29. 610000
30. 653500
Last edited by sPoT on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

sPoT
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by sPoT » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:14 am

"The Defile" has own webpage! You can enter it here

The adress: http://www.imperiumd2.phx.pl/thedefile/eng/

SilverShadowHell
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SilverShadowHell » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:05 pm

Just wondering... are you still working because you seem to have great ideas and I'm sure this mod will be a great one as long as you finish it because you didn't post back in a while now and I'm starting to get woried

Sorry, I sound just like my mother
WAR!!!!!!!....... don't worry.. I'm working on it
http://iloveshaders.blogspot.com/

Return to “The Sandbox”