Soul Gatherer

This forum allows mod makers with projects in the beginning stages to showcase their mod.
cheractor
Paladin

Post by cheractor » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:14 pm

A new affix system before your skill system done? I'm a little worried about this...

For unique items, my opinion would be make them interesting but not powerful items. :P
Please feel free to correct my mistakes, especially on English writing. Any comments would be appreciated.

SilverShadowHell
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by SilverShadowHell » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:38 pm

My opinion:
1) unique items should have some unique properties on them
2) unique items should have carry one == true so they realy are unique (because YOU can't have more than ONE at the same time)
Last edited by SilverShadowHell on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WAR!!!!!!!....... don't worry.. I'm working on it
http://iloveshaders.blogspot.com/

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Re: Soul Gatherer

Post by Myhrginoc » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:02 am

If Blizzard had coded uniques properly, there should be a "if one exists at all in the game, don't spawn another one" field. But plugY would defeat that anyway, since the game cannot see into all those other stash pages.

If you have unique rings and charms, use tsuru's "true unique" technique. All other unique types are "use only one at a time" anyway.
Last edited by Myhrginoc on Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:19 am

Nah, no charms so no worries there, charms are history, they shouldnt have been added to the game in my opinion.

As for other uniques, they wont be top end items, they will be about median in power compared to what could spawn at the corresponding level.
I will use talonrages unqiueitem files, and be changing the stats to suit my mod, it's a huge time saver on coming up with names and doing alot of the basic work.
Gotta love the sharing environment here at the keep.

Back to skill editting...
{Modding status: Project X}

IndianaMaggot
Paladin

Post by IndianaMaggot » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:15 pm

I have an idea about uniques... scrape the low level uniques seeing hjow you wont find them until they are to weak for you to want to use. Make a few more high level uniques ad make them incredibly hard to find... that way people have a choice of what they want to hunt... extremely good rares or high-end uniques.
"Do You Serve a Purpose, or Purposely Serve?"
Working on Secret Project!
I am always willing to beta test for anyone just PM me.

A
Champion of the Light

Post by A » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:54 pm

i would like to see rares / magic as the best items because then there is no boss runs....

and a few uniques not that powerful...

Phlebiac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Phlebiac » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:20 pm

I like the sound of unique items beeing just collectables.
Make them not strong enough to outplay all those rares and give them really cool pictures :D.
I'd rather go to Africa and get eaten by an Elephant... Snoopy

Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007!

ZyEl Wiki

ffej311
Paladin

Post by ffej311 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:42 pm

I like the ideas of making uniques high level and hard to find. Also, the idea of giving them properties that are only found on each specific unique (oskills, morphing?) would make them more of a novelty and fun to use.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:35 am

I like a bunch of ideas i heard here,
the best I heard is to add oskills to uniques (oskills dont appear in game anywhere else)
and I can through the vanilla D2 skills in the game still (since i havent deleted them from the game yet) I will balance out the vanilla skills and grant them via unqiues.

By the way I have got some skill modding done, and too my utter surprise its been easier than I recall, even my skilldesc knowledge hasnt fled me, So i'm getting about 10 skills done a day, not too bad.
All barbarian and sorc class and druid class skills done,
theres still the large amount of shared skills though so dont get to optimistic.
I might post some skills question in the future for people to put there input in.
thanks
-mishy23

brappy
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by brappy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:22 am

So far, this is seeming to be a good mod. Like ffej, I suggest making them more of a collector's item, once you get them they're awesome and all, they turn you into a monster, grant you the uber nova of large hurt upon level up, or whatnot, but have them be just fun and not anything to keep for any length of time.
Currently working on Tricet of Apocalypse (Latest patch: Beta 0.9) | Mod thread
A=B, A²=AB, A²-B²=AB-B², (A+B)(A-B)=B(A-B), A+B=B, A+A=A, 2A=A, 2=1

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:09 pm

Time to release one more idea thats going into this game.
I already talked about the Soulwords(tm).
Now its time to start implementing a new phase, "Soul crafting"

See 'souls' will be a major part of this mod, and they are taking on a bigger and bigger role as the mod develops.
As you know souls are basically jewels, and come in different types, normal kinds, elemental kinds, wildcard kinds.
Now soul crafting revolves all around 3 items.
There is a new scroll type item, like scroll of ID and TP, there is now a scroll of enchantment, this is used as the basis of most cube recipes.
The second main cube item is something so far called 'cages', this may change (any ideas welcome).
You can begin simple soul crafting by cubing a enchantment scroll and a cage and any soul and you create a "Soul Cage".
Now every soul you cube with a soul cage makes this soul cage stronger for lack of a better word.
And the more powerful the Soul Cage (i.e. the more souls transmuted into it) the better cube recipes and crafts available.

Here is some basic examples.
You create your first soul cage, it will say in its description,
Soul Cage [Lv 1]
To increase power of Soul Cage, absorb X more souls.
You may imbue any weapon with this Soul Cage to add [1] socket.

Okay so you can, cube a weapon with this soul cage and get your socket,
and this will use up the soul cage, and you must make another one, OR you can cube X more souls, and when you do you get the following Soul Cube;
Soul Cage [LV 2]
To increase power of Soul Cage, absorb X more souls.
You may imbue any magic item with this Soul Cage to reroll its magical properties.

Okay hopefully you can see where this is going
If you keep powering up your Soul Cage you will see bigger and better things, that will include crafting, tempering, adding sockets, and other special effects.
So far I plan on 10 levels of power for the soul cage.

This is the main system and mainly is how you socket your items so you can socket other souls (jewels) into them. including the ability to unsocket stuff also and rerolling items, etc...

Now this may seem limited, but there is a built in tree branching ability in that if the soul cage needs 5 more souls to be absorbed, if you absorb Souls of only one single element, all fire souls for example, then your soul cage may turn into a Soul Cage of Flames, and this soul cage of flames has its own cubing recipes, more along the lines of crafts with built in fire elemental properties, or other tasty treats.

Some things I will be adding is a way to create a unique of an item from a rare through this method, and the top recipes include things like a potion that gives you +1skillpoints! permanently.
Now this may seem over powered but remember you may have to transmute 200+ souls to get this +1skp, and while souls drop on average like gems do in vanilla, you also got to remember this mod will feature 7 skillpoints per level!!!!
Oh wait I havent talked about the skill system yet...I guess that will be another day...some will like it, some will hate it, but definately not vanilla anymore.

ffej311
Paladin

Post by ffej311 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:14 am

Fantastic, mishy. I am very excited. Can I sign up for a beta test yet? :mrgreen:

PS: New skill systems ftw. :cool:
Last edited by ffej311 on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldboy
Paladin

Post by oldboy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:46 pm

a) No Unique items, but way better magic/rare items

=> kinda uniques

uniques are something which is for vanilla and mods which dont have a improved "crafting system".

i can remind myself that at bnet some people more or less searched for chipped gems for cubing.

so you could use either

1. "real" uniques
2. a) or
3. an improved cubing system

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:58 pm

I'm not dead, just a bit busy, but heres some proof I havent done nothing at all.

Here is a pretty picture of the amazon class tree.

album_page.php?pic_id=1685

IndianaMaggot
Paladin

Post by IndianaMaggot » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:17 pm

Looks amazing. Keep up the good work and can not wait to play this!
"Do You Serve a Purpose, or Purposely Serve?"
Working on Secret Project!
I am always willing to beta test for anyone just PM me.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:37 pm

MISHY! You're back! I'm liking the sound of this mod and I'd love to help with feedback and such once a playable version is available. I had so much fun helping you with your Runeword Mod, and I certainly won't pass on the opportunity to help with this mod either.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:54 pm

Good to hear from you Godshead 8)
I only hope people can hold out until my work is finished, some days
the workload seems overbearing hehe,
And I never have enough time, but i'm plodding along slowly but surely.

Right now i'm taking my time on the skills, and getting them right, and bug free, and trying to provide new twists on old skills along with interesting new ones.

Some examples since i'm on the Amazon right now,
Good old multishot (now called Splitting Arrow) CAN hit the same target multiple times,
I got stuck for a while on trying to make some charge-up attacks that all classes get actually work with the bow for an amazon, but no luck so far.
Now if stupid work would give me some vacation and some inspiration would suddenly hit me 8)

WarWolf
Paladin

Post by WarWolf » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:53 pm

Good to have you back Mishy, I still have the latest version of your Runeword Mod around. A shame that you didn't continue it.

But this new mod of yours sounds awesome, be sure to continue working on it. Getting rid of uniques is also a very nice approach, I support that idea.

The soul idea in general sounds great, I love different ways of how to use items.

Please continue your work it sounds great!

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:58 am

Sad to say, Mishy has informed me this project is dead. If that changes, we will be happy to reopen the thread.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Return to “The Sandbox”