Rebirthe

This forum allows mod makers with projects in the beginning stages to showcase their mod.

No votes

Total votes: 0

Squirrelloid

Re: Rebirthe

Post by Squirrelloid » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:51 am

I've snipped all but your last post, for the sake of readability.
cla$$ics";p="415154" wrote: The secret cube recipes are not essential to beating the game. You do not need to know all the secret cube recipes to beat the game. That is not the goal of the game. The goal is to ultimately destroy Baal on Hell.
So basically you're saying you've included a bunch of content you don't expect anyone to ever find. Why bother putting all the work into it if you don't want people to use it.

Also, the fun of the game is not necessarily just killing Baal on Hell. I mean, if that was all there was to it, the game has about 7-10 plays total, and people stop playing a character once its over. The game is about getting cool gear for your character, which means being able to actually use all the implemented features is part of the fun. Tedious trial and error to discover them is not. (In fact, any aspect where the tedious outweighs added enjoyment decreases the fun factor).
The player is not starved at all. There's actually more monsters in the later levels than there was before. Take a look at a few of the screenshots I have put up on moddb - particularly, the one with the Canyon of the Magi. This one:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/rebirthe/imag ... 0#imagebox
I did not lure the monsters anywhere. I did not corral them. I ran a little way from the waypoint and encountered that group of monsters. Does the player look xp starved now? In fact, they appear to be overfed. The point I am trying to make is if you make it hard in the beginning, then you set them up for even tougher times in the future. So Diablo II becomes more and more harder, not just a flat rate of gameplay.
First, take my comments as referring specifically to the early part of the game where you are monster starved. No one complains about lack of immersion in the base game because Flavie is there and there are still a bunch of monsters. And fun trumps 'realism' every time, unless you're trying to make a perfectly realistic medieval swordfighting simulation (which d2 most certainly is not).

Second, you're breaking a fundamental game design aspect of d2. If you are sufficiently over or under leveled relative to the monsters you get almost no xp, and your game design seems specifically tailored to ensuring players are substantially underleveled. The only real solution to this is running earlier areas of the game repeatedly to get an appropriate level - something which will take longer if those areas are low on monsters.

Furthermore, you're only creating artificial difficulty, because it seems to be solved by running earlier areas, since the difficulty stems in part from not having sufficient xp or items or whatever from earlier stages of the game. If reducing running is a game design goal, artificial difficulty enhancement is not a way to accomplish this.
Increasing the treasure drops for all monsters isn't the correct way to go. Because as you have seen on that screenshot, if all of them had a 10% chance to drop a unique item (Just using this as an example), then you'd get a LOT of unique items, and a LOT of rare items (Due to how D2 drops items, if an item doesn't have a unique counterpart, like Katars for instance, then it drops a rare)
Now if you only increased the drops to say, the first two or three levels to each act, then you would throw off the whole cycle I mentioned to you.
Lets deal with one design goal at a time now.

Design goal: decrease the player's need or desire to run the game.
Solution: (A) Improve drops and/or (B) provide cube recipes which allow players to create desired items.

Fun effect: D2 is a stamp collecting game in a lot of ways. To qualify as a stamp something must be repeatably identifiable (ie, the player knows if he's already collected one), so rares don't count, even though some rares are also desirable. Thus, the important drops for the stamp collecting aspect are unique items and runes. (And seeing how a given person can't ever expect to see a Zod drop in his lifetime in the base game, the current design is really really bad).

A: pros - better drops means fewer kills per item of quality X found -> less runs through the game needed to get the gear a player wants.
cons - players have more good items? Wait, that's part of the fun value of the game, so no cons.

B: pros - players can actively acquire better stamps
cons - player can acquire specific items on demand, which actually detracts from the stamp collecting aspect. Further, cube recipes need to carefully balance the availability of reagents.

Conclusion: A is a superior solution to B.

Design Goal: Make the game challenging.

Some observations:
(1) artificially increasing the difficulty by restricting xp or items ultimately fails to make the game more difficult. Running specific areas repeatedly can solve both problems - it just makes the game more tedious for the player. All you do is discourage the casual player.
(2) After completing a given difficulty once, it is easily possible for a player to scum for good items and distribute them to other characters of his, putting his character above your expectation, and thwarting the artificial difficulty increase.

How do we solve this?
A. Look at all the unique and set items, and all the level requirements for suffices and prefices. Probably tweak them all upwards - but for now just be aware of them.
B. Tweak the rate at which xp earned decreases as you become over or underleveled. If you think of this as a function of your level relative to the monster level, what you want is for xp to maximize when monster level = your level, drop off precipitously as you leave that optimum point,
and reach zero relatively quickly (like within 5 levels difference). This severely limits the effectiveness of doing runs for xp, and thus prevents substantial overleveling.
C. Go back to those items in A. Figure out how soon you want particular abilities to be available to the player based on where those abilities are appropriate. Its ok for Magic Items to have better abilities than rares for a given level of availability, and rares better than sets or uniques because they are not stamps, and therefore are less likely to be collected.
D. Since you've correlated level so closely with area, now you know what the best possible gear is for any given area of the game. Go and tweak the monster stats to be plausibly difficult with good gear.

Ok, now we need to do error checking. That is, we want to not discourage the casual player, so we want to know what plausible gear is for an untweaked character at a given level. The better drops are, the closer that gear will be to optimal at any given level. You need to find a balance between difficulty and drop quality. If you make drop quality too low, you can't make the game sufficiently difficult for tweaked characters. However, there's obviously a desire not to make drop quality too high. So you need to make drop quality such that a character can expect to see good enough items in a single playthrough to beat the game, while still retaining sufficient difficulty to challenge tweaked characters.

Basically, making a game where characters tend to be overpowered because available items are too good is pretty easy. Which is why that's what d2 is what it is now. If you want to make the game difficult, you need to maintain a strict correlation between gear, area of the game (monster stats), and character level. Which, bizarrely, means high quality drops only makes it easier to make the game hard (because minimum character power is a lot closer to maximum character power for some level N).

Something that would make this easier is to decrease the sharpness of the AC:AR relationship peak. Ie, a given AR being dangerous to a broader range of ACs means you can relax the gear:area:level relationship more because you don't have to tie expected character AC to monster AR and monster AC to expected character AR nearly as tightly.

Something else is to consider a MedianXL like skill system. Not that I absolutely love MedianXL (I don't), but their skill system is set up in such a way that character power doesn't increase exponentially for 20 levels and then plateau every time a power skill becomes available. (Basically, being able to drop 20 points into frozen orb between levels 30 and 50 is not a recipe for a well balanced game, because after level 50 frozen orb stops getting better, and before level 30 you don't have it at all, but from level 30-50 frozen orb power grows aggressively. Since different power skills have different initial levels, its really hard to figure out how much power a level N character gets from his powers).

As a last note, keeping normal as a place where the casual player will not feel to hard pressed is a good design decision, because it lets him become familiar with game mechanics and his power mechanics without getting beat up for doing things poorly. You can start ramping the difficulty up in Acts IV and V, but making it truly brutal should be saved until at least Nightmare.
EDIT: As I may have mentioned before, I am going to include an Easy mode at one point or another. That way, if you don't agree with the difficulty dynamics I have set up, then you could go down the easy road, where drops and monster rates are normal.
Will characters be interconvertible? Because that leads to scumming in easy mode and then sharing with normal characters.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:34 pm

Squirrelloid";p="415286" wrote: So basically you're saying you've included a bunch of content you don't expect anyone to ever find. Why bother putting all the work into it if you don't want people to use it.
The reason why I did this is so that in multiplayer, people could stick together and get more valuable gear. For instance, in V1 of this mod, scrolls will not be readily available from the local vendor. Using simple logic (Hmmm, a scroll is basically a piece of paper wrapped up in string...so if I take papers and some string, I will get a scroll), a player can overcome this boundary.

Since there is also a 'Cube Level' and you can gain from using recipes (Hidden or not hidden, not all the recipes are hidden ones, I have documented some), you can also spend time dabbling with the cube. Say if you can't beat Andariel, maybe if you dabbled a little more and went through a dungeon to find good cube stuff, then you might have a chance.
Squirrelloid";p="415286" wrote: Also, the fun of the game is not necessarily just killing Baal on Hell. I mean, if that was all there was to it, the game has about 7-10 plays total, and people stop playing a character once its over. The game is about getting cool gear for your character, which means being able to actually use all the implemented features is part of the fun. Tedious trial and error to discover them is not. (In fact, any aspect where the tedious outweighs added enjoyment decreases the fun factor).
I'm not saying I'm going to eliminate all magic, rare, set, unique, crafted, socketed, and low quality items. You don't need tedious trial and error recipes to get good gear. That's why I increased good gear drops from bosses, so you wouldn't have to spend loads of time running for gear. While I can say however, that dungeon plays, like going through the Deadmines on WoW, can be really fun, if your there just for playing, not for gear or any other stuff like that. At some point or another I'm going to make individual preset dungeons for each 'blank' (Caves, Hole, Icy Cellar, etc.) dungeon, so that on multiplayer you can have something fun to do with your friends.

Squirrelloid";p="415286" wrote: First, take my comments as referring specifically to the early part of the game where you are monster starved. No one complains about lack of immersion in the base game because Flavie is there and there are still a bunch of monsters. And fun trumps 'realism' every time, unless you're trying to make a perfectly realistic medieval swordfighting simulation (which d2 most certainly is not).

Second, you're breaking a fundamental game design aspect of d2. If you are sufficiently over or under leveled relative to the monsters you get almost no xp, and your game design seems specifically tailored to ensuring players are substantially underleveled. The only real solution to this is running earlier areas of the game repeatedly to get an appropriate level - something which will take longer if those areas are low on monsters.
You are correct on this issue it seems. Another reason for making those preset dungeons. Most of the realism elements that I have imposed are just improved lighting, new blood, little stuff like that that make the game look better. Also, improved lighting also makes it harder to spot monsters in a dungeon, so torch items might need to be purchased and equipped. Most of the preset dungeons will be well lit though, so its not too much of a hassle. Just for a few areas, like The Crypt where it isn't as open as The Caves.
Squirrelloid";p="415286" wrote: Lets deal with one design goal at a time now.

Design goal: decrease the player's need or desire to run the game.
Solution: (A) Improve drops and/or (B) provide cube recipes which allow players to create desired items.

Fun effect: D2 is a stamp collecting game in a lot of ways. To qualify as a stamp something must be repeatably identifiable (ie, the player knows if he's already collected one), so rares don't count, even though some rares are also desirable. Thus, the important drops for the stamp collecting aspect are unique items and runes. (And seeing how a given person can't ever expect to see a Zod drop in his lifetime in the base game, the current design is really really bad).

A: pros - better drops means fewer kills per item of quality X found -> less runs through the game needed to get the gear a player wants.
cons - players have more good items? Wait, that's part of the fun value of the game, so no cons.

B: pros - players can actively acquire better stamps
cons - player can acquire specific items on demand, which actually detracts from the stamp collecting aspect. Further, cube recipes need to carefully balance the availability of reagents.

Conclusion: A is a superior solution to B.
From the game design elements you listed, I use a mixture of both, but leaning on A. You get most of the stuff you need, the necessities for staying alive, from monsters. But in cube recipes you can also make little stuff to help you, like elixirs and stuff (And btw, all elixir formulas are documented). You can tackle a profession, where, if you spend enough time in it, and find the right stuff from monsters, you can bring a battle in your favor.

Professions also increase the trade and the replay value of the game, because you might be a Summoner/Gemcutting Barbarian, or you could be a Blacksmithing/Mathematics/Fletching Amazon. And on top of that, as you mentioned before, there's all sorts of other possibilities, like different spread of skills and different types of gear.

You can have all the professions at once, but it requires a lot of time to get up to maximum in that craft. So part of it could be the user thinking, "Hmmm, would I have enough time to undertake 7 or 8 professions at once?" ;)

But another thing too: you can also make some great stuff if your willing to put time and effort into it. For instance, with enough runes, you can make a Zod rune by just cubing. But it needs a lot of specific runes.

BTW, the way you put it, "Stamp Collecting", gives me an idea.
Squirrelloid";p="415286" wrote: Design Goal: Make the game challenging.

Some observations:
(1) artificially increasing the difficulty by restricting xp or items ultimately fails to make the game more difficult. Running specific areas repeatedly can solve both problems - it just makes the game more tedious for the player. All you do is discourage the casual player.
(2) After completing a given difficulty once, it is easily possible for a player to scum for good items and distribute them to other characters of his, putting his character above your expectation, and thwarting the artificial difficulty increase.

How do we solve this?
A. Look at all the unique and set items, and all the level requirements for suffices and prefices. Probably tweak them all upwards - but for now just be aware of them.
B. Tweak the rate at which xp earned decreases as you become over or underleveled. If you think of this as a function of your level relative to the monster level, what you want is for xp to maximize when monster level = your level, drop off precipitously as you leave that optimum point,
and reach zero relatively quickly (like within 5 levels difference). This severely limits the effectiveness of doing runs for xp, and thus prevents substantial overleveling.
C. Go back to those items in A. Figure out how soon you want particular abilities to be available to the player based on where those abilities are appropriate. Its ok for Magic Items to have better abilities than rares for a given level of availability, and rares better than sets or uniques because they are not stamps, and therefore are less likely to be collected.
D. Since you've correlated level so closely with area, now you know what the best possible gear is for any given area of the game. Go and tweak the monster stats to be plausibly difficult with good gear.
I think B requires code editing, but I'm not sure. Code editing is generally something you want to avoid, because it makes your mod only readily available to 1 version of the game. So if Blizzard releases a patch then it won't run on the latest version. I don't think the rate of XP needs to be changed too much anyway, I think it is fine as it is.
Squirrelloid";p="415286" wrote: Ok, now we need to do error checking. That is, we want to not discourage the casual player, so we want to know what plausible gear is for an untweaked character at a given level. The better drops are, the closer that gear will be to optimal at any given level. You need to find a balance between difficulty and drop quality. If you make drop quality too low, you can't make the game sufficiently difficult for tweaked characters. However, there's obviously a desire not to make drop quality too high. So you need to make drop quality such that a character can expect to see good enough items in a single playthrough to beat the game, while still retaining sufficient difficulty to challenge tweaked characters.

Basically, making a game where characters tend to be overpowered because available items are too good is pretty easy. Which is why that's what d2 is what it is now. If you want to make the game difficult, you need to maintain a strict correlation between gear, area of the game (monster stats), and character level. Which, bizarrely, means high quality drops only makes it easier to make the game hard (because minimum character power is a lot closer to maximum character power for some level N).
So what your thinking I should do here is make it easier to get all drops, but also make it much harder. Hmm, this shouldn't be too hard to do. Just some adjustments...
Squirrelloid";p="415286" wrote: Something that would make this easier is to decrease the sharpness of the AC:AR relationship peak. Ie, a given AR being dangerous to a broader range of ACs means you can relax the gear:area:level relationship more because you don't have to tie expected character AC to monster AR and monster AC to expected character AR nearly as tightly.

Something else is to consider a MedianXL like skill system. Not that I absolutely love MedianXL (I don't), but their skill system is set up in such a way that character power doesn't increase exponentially for 20 levels and then plateau every time a power skill becomes available. (Basically, being able to drop 20 points into frozen orb between levels 30 and 50 is not a recipe for a well balanced game, because after level 50 frozen orb stops getting better, and before level 30 you don't have it at all, but from level 30-50 frozen orb power grows aggressively. Since different power skills have different initial levels, its really hard to figure out how much power a level N character gets from his powers).
I have been thinking of adopting a system like this for a while now. Another thing I was thinking of doing was making the damage of spells based on your weapon, so a Necromancer's skills would be based on how much damage his wand is doing.
Squirrelloid";p="415286" wrote:As a last note, keeping normal as a place where the casual player will not feel to hard pressed is a good design decision, because it lets him become familiar with game mechanics and his power mechanics without getting beat up for doing things poorly. You can start ramping the difficulty up in Acts IV and V, but making it truly brutal should be saved until at least Nightmare.
Again; something I have been thinking of doing was lowering monster damage for the beginning-middle of Act 1. By the end of Act 1, the player will have become familiar with "Ok, melee monsters do high damage, archers do medium, and spells do minimum; This also means the same for me."
Squirrelloid";p="415286" wrote:
EDIT: As I may have mentioned before, I am going to include an Easy mode at one point or another. That way, if you don't agree with the difficulty dynamics I have set up, then you could go down the easy road, where drops and monster rates are normal.
Will characters be interconvertible? Because that leads to scumming in easy mode and then sharing with normal characters.
It isn't quite how it works. What i've done now is populate the Blood Moor with easy monsters, thats all.
Although done for our needs, mod-makers should like these changes, too.
11/1/08 - COTL; 5/10/09 - Angel; 11/11/09 - Archangel

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Wed May 06, 2009 11:54 pm

Warning! Please Read!
An anonymous user informed me that Rebirthe 0.04 has a virus packed with it!
Please run a scan of the .zip, I did and nothing came up.
I believe it may be a specific anti-virus that causes this problem.[/b]

Sing_in_silence

Post by Sing_in_silence » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:53 pm

Hadn't tried this until now for a very simple reason:
I've never seen a D2 Druid I've liked. (Except Median's Charmer, that is.)

Exposure to Rebirthe at this point: ~1 hour played.
In that time I:
  • Saw the Druid / Paladin / Sorc skilltrees.
    Leveled a Druid to level 2.25.
That last cost ~50 minutes of the hour, as well as 39 deaths.

Game experience:
(Stream of conscience. Written down as I played.
Clear enough, or should I 'translate' it?)

(/p1, btw)

Start Druid (first char implemented, so...)
Scout Blood Moor. No monsters.
Enter Cold Plains. (DoE is usually harder then Cold Plains, so...)
Meet Fallen.
*Block / Breaker* when attacked, then counter-attack. Drink potions as needed.
Die 5 times.
Continue scouting. Discover that the fallen was part of a Cold Enchanted Fallen bosspack.
Oops. No more potions.
Eek! retreat to spread the pack out to singles.
(Incidentally, Druid gets 25% chance to hit monsters in the Cold Plains. As opposed to a Paladin's 73%. This look right to you?)
Die 19 times. (Incidentally, nice graphic for Chill. Baldur's Gate, right?)
Occasionally took as little as 20 damage from the boss. Out of my 45...
Patience wearing thin.
Finish killing pack.
Continue scouting. (This is easier then the DoE, right? o.o )
Meet Dark Hunter.
Die 5 times. (Haha! That was easy!)
Meet Dark Schemist & Cannoneer pair.
Die 11 times. (Attacking fleeing monsters with base anim-rate & melee = Yeahright. Make those fleeing monsters ranged and...
Especially when you need to stop and cast before attacking, or they're shishkebab you. (Why did you think they stopped running?))
Temper rising.
Level up! Oh look, my %cth went up from 25% to 38% (so it's due to level difference). I feel a little better now.
F*** it. DoE can't be harder then this. (And probably won't be, due to level-difference.)
Go to DoE.
Oh look! a pack of (black) Fallens! >_<
Pull fallen away from shaman.
Die 2 times killing pack.
Die 3 times killing Shaman.
Die 3 times killing a Mameluke (I lol'd).

Killed a handful of singletons (zombies, Foul Crows).
Walked into a pack of fallen and a mameluke.
S&E. Gave up.

Things I've noticed (and not necessarily important):
* I was amused to discover that Druids start with a buckler (13 str req), and 5 Strength.
* Also, newbie club has +1 Werewolf. Which costs 15 mana.
Druids start with 10.
* Blackened Halo's desc: "Its mysterious black lister..." -- typo for: 'Luster'?

* Thunderstruck & Firebolt gain no synergies, but their desc.s have the 'synergy from' line.
* Light Speed gains a bonus from Lit. mast.?

* Black Fallen Shamans cast (lit. anim) Invisibility?! (~6 sec duration, I think.)
If it weren't for the fact that they're still targettable, I'd think that that's a missing graphic. As it is: *shrug*

Approaching Corrupted Rogue-type monsters is hard.
They're ranged.
As you (have to) close in to melee, you can no longer dodge the shots.
So the only way (I've found) is to stutter-step with B/B.
Which, while it works, is *slow*, and only really works against a single monster.

Casting B/B does not work after being in recoil.
It'll show the cast-anim (meaning that you can't do anything else), but won't actually cast it, leading to another hit => RiP.
Possibly related to the phantom attacks desync?

I think that's all (and probably quite enough) for now.

P.S.
AVG, up to date, no virus.
(I know you know, but it's the only AV software I have.)
Last edited by Sing_in_silence on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:44 pm

Sing_in_silence";p="417506" wrote: Scout Blood Moor. No monsters.
The Easy Mode addon changes it so you can get (very easy) monsters in the Blood Moor. Also, I find that it gets easier and easier the farther you get into the game.
Sing_in_silence";p="417506" wrote: Oops. No more potions.
Eek! retreat to spread the pack out to singles.
(Incidentally, Druid gets 25% chance to hit monsters in the Cold Plains. As opposed to a Paladin's 73%. This look right to you?)
Die 19 times. (Incidentally, nice graphic for Chill. Baldur's Gate, right?)
Occasionally took as little as 20 damage from the boss. Out of my 45...
Patience wearing thin.
Finish killing pack.
Continue scouting. (This is easier then the DoE, right? o.o )
Meet Dark Hunter.
Die 5 times. (Haha! That was easy!)
Meet Dark Schemist & Cannoneer pair.
0.05 will be much easier to an extent, because I'll be removing DoE Cannonesses and Mamelukes, and nerfing Mameluke/Cannoness damage elsewhere.
Sing_in_silence";p="417506" wrote: Things I've noticed (and not necessarily important):
* I was amused to discover that Druids start with a buckler (13 str req), and 5 Strength.
* Also, newbie club has +1 Werewolf. Which costs 15 mana.
Druids start with 10.
* Blackened Halo's desc: "Its mysterious black lister..." -- typo for: 'Luster'?
* Thunderstruck & Firebolt gain no synergies, but their desc.s have the 'synergy from' line.
All bugs and all easily fixable.
Sing_in_silence";p="417506" wrote: * Light Speed gains a bonus from Lit. mast.?
It gains 2% additional velocity per point put in Lightning Mastery
Sing_in_silence";p="417506" wrote: * Black Fallen Shamans cast (lit. anim) Invisibility?! (~6 sec duration, I think.)
If it weren't for the fact that they're still targettable, I'd think that that's a missing graphic. As it is: *shrug*
Yeah, they go invisible. Works as intended. Why invisibility? Well, Fallen Shamans elsewhere cast Meteor/Shaman Fireball, and I figured I'd give new players a bit of a break by making Fallen Shamans only cast Invisibility, and not the Hardcore-Bomb Meteor (it needs nerfing too)
Sing_in_silence";p="417506" wrote: Casting B/B does not work after being in recoil.
It'll show the cast-anim (meaning that you can't do anything else), but won't actually cast it, leading to another hit => RiP.
Possibly related to the phantom attacks desync?
Yeah, its Phantom Attacks.
Sing_in_silence";p="417506" wrote: P.S.
AVG, up to date, no virus.
(I know you know, but it's the only AV software I have.)
I scanned it with AVG as well, no virus. Cloud-Based antivirus will mark it as a virus though (for some reason)

In summary:
0.05 will make it easier to start up a character, and will fix more bugs

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:11 pm

I don't mean to double post here, but heres a bit of news:

Tired of seeing 'Website Under Construction' when entering the URL rebirthe.gamesmodding.com? Well I say no more! The website is active, and in time it will grow. The site so far has no real 'content' on it, other than a news display and a few pages. But, in the coming weeks it shall be bigger, with an Item Database, a Bestiary, and more.

We also have forums on gamesmodding.com. Click this link to see them / post:
Gamesmodding.com

Next up: Information regarding 0.05.
I have these skills in plan for you:
*Dark Bomb: Create a bomb that explodes into a wave of lightning.
*Bloody Brocade: Summon a wave of suicidal minions to do your bidding.
*Netherstrike
*Zombie Wall
*Plague Wall
*5 unannounced skills

Heres the changelog so far:
*Deadly Strike works properly on 'Ideal Love' and 'Dire Consequences' runewords
*Fixed a critical bug that made it not possible to use Assault Markers
*Eviscerate's Deadly Strike now works properly
*Despair (Skill) now lowers cold resistance
*Felbore Arms now has +1-2 to All Skills
*Hunter's Instinct now has +1-2 to All Skills
*Harbringer V does 25-50 fire damage
*Dragonfire adds Magic Spell damage
*Internal fixes regarding secret recipes
*The Caves is now a preset dungeon, "The Caves"
*The Pit is now a preset dungeon, "Circle of Elements"
*Added Circle of Elements waypoint
*Added new unique items and monsters
*Removed Teleport on Enigma
*Halved Blessed Hammer damage
*Increased starting AR
*Increased mana per energy point
*Fixed major bug with assassins
*Walking Velocity rates changed to these:
*Amazon, Paladin: 9
*Necromancer, Druid: 10
*Sorceress: 11
*Barbarian: 8
*Assassin: 13
*Added 15 new gem types
*Added Necromancer skills
*Lowered the mana cost on Lightning Strike
*Lowered the mana cost on Lightning Armor
*Removed description on keys (Now you can see the quantity ^^)
*Gemcutting Uber Item (Oblivion Tyrant)
*Alchemy Uber Item (Death Do Us Part)
*Scrapped Health Regen Elixir in favor of Swallow
*Scrapped Mana Regen Elixir in favor of Tawny Owl
*Fixed crash in Black Marsh
*Good Runes are now much more easier to find
*Fixed another crash in Black Marsh
*Fixed Megadom Arrow Pack's display
*Necromancers now start with Teeth
*Blessed Hammer now receives bonuses from Grace of Flame and Apprehensive Presence. Each skill point adds +18% magic damage per level.
*Paladins now start with Sacrifice
*Barbarians start with Bash
*Buyback is greatly increased. Act 1 (Normal) merchants buy items at 10K gold. Act 5 (Hell) merchants can buyback up to 350K gold.
*Added a synergy to Fist of the Heavens
*Added unique variants of the Essential Ingredients
*Fixed Warmth Synergy
*Nerfed Fallen Shamans
*Fixed Lycanthrophic Modifier, it now spawns at levels 70+. Before now, Assassins could dominate Baal in 5 seconds
*Fixed issues with Act 2 town
*Fixed issues with Act 2 merc
Last edited by cla$$ics on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sing_in_silence

Post by Sing_in_silence » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Nothing new to add, sadly.
Computer trouble = not fun.

cla$$ics";p="417513" wrote:
Sing_in_silence";p="417506" wrote: Scout Blood Moor. No monsters.
The Easy Mode addon changes it so you can get (very easy) monsters in the Blood Moor.
Don't get me wrong, I kinda like it.
(I mean, what kind of crappy guard is Flavie anyway, when the Blood Moor's infested with wandering monsters?
Now, having them only in the DoE makes sense. Digging them out of their hole isn't easy.
But wandering around? :s )

I just mentioned it because it was unexpected.

cla$$ics";p="417513" wrote:0.05 will be much easier to an extent, because I'll be removing DoE Cannonesses and Mamelukes, and nerfing Mameluke/Cannoness damage elsewhere.
I'm glad to hear that they're getting kicked out of the DoE.
That said, for as far as I've gotten, my problem with them isn't their zomg dmg, it's my low defence + their ranged attack + fast w/ chicken AI.

Whether they need to be nerfed elsewhere, idk.

Sing_in_silence";p="417506" wrote: * Light Speed gains a bonus from Lit. mast.?
It gains 2% additional velocity per point put in Lightning Mastery
Oh. Cool.
Well, the skilldesc merely says that a synergy exists. No details.
(Think D2C Tk -> Energy Shield.)

Sing_in_silence";p="417506" wrote: * Black Fallen Shamans cast (lit. anim) Invisibility?! (~6 sec duration, I think.)
Yeah, they go invisible. Works as intended. Why invisibility?
Well, Black fallen, in a dark cave...
I like it.

Again, it was just unexpected.

Sing_in_silence";p="417506" wrote: Casting B/B does not work after being in recoil. <snip>
Yeah, its Phantom Attacks.
Gah. :(

And on that cheerful note:
Cheerio.

P.S.
Grats on active website placeholder :)

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:32 am

Thanks :) Its just too bad that this mod doesn't get very much attention when compared to some other mods out there. Oh well. Hopefully it will get more popular when 1.00 comes out, [i]if[/i] it comes out

Update: I'm in the process of writing the manual for 0.05 x.x It's a long and arduous task. I'll let you know more closer to release

Update: 0.05 released
http://www.moddb.com/mods/rebirthe/down ... stallation
http://www.moddb.com/mods/rebirthe/down ... ch-004-005

Update: 0.051 (hotfix) released
http://www.moddb.com/mods/rebirthe/down ... 005-hotfix

BloodyShade
Paladin
Japan

Post by BloodyShade » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi there,

Just letting you know of some of my findings.

Assassins start out with a Katar (20dex, 20str req), but only 10 in each stat(str/dex).

I've seen a few weird CtC skills, like:
chance to cast warmth when struck
chance to cast telekinesis when you kill an enemy

Random Runes are exploitable for money. With about 10k you can make an infinite amount of cash.

It might be just me, but I'm not able to use the jar collector at all.
I tried using it to store 'ears/brains in a jar' in every form of the collector without luck.

Guess so far this is all the info I could gather.
Later.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:54 pm

*cough*
http://gamesmodding.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=18

Adding this to sticky...

Warmth uses new mechanics, so it's not a bug. Telekinesis is buggy (it casts Static Field instead of Telekinesis)

UPDATE.
Looking for beta testers
Post in this thread if interested:
http://gamesmodding.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=144
Massive Update:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/rebirthe

Hans
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Dominion

Post by Hans » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:28 pm

I am willing to test for you.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Great, perhaps we can set something up?

Phlebiac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Phlebiac » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:01 pm

I would like to give it another go, too.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:58 pm

FishGaming
United States of America

Post by FishGaming » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:18 pm

Is there any chance this mod is going to get worked on anymore? With D2 Resurrected coming up trying older mods and I actually like the whole having to craft and level everything to make it through. It's a completely different pace and fun actually. But What I don't like is the lack of unfinished items like gaining insight being so important because it teaches you recipes and there is only two.. It has such potential and I really do love this mod for being different and with the professions, honestly it's genius to me. It would be cool if this was worked on more and then ported to the new d2 resurrected.

On a side note does anyone know how to make heat. There is talk of essences of heat and on the included documentation it states the appendix shows this but I cannot find it at all.

Thanks

kain_abel_666
Canada

Post by kain_abel_666 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:40 am

Well considering the last post here is from 2009, I am going to say no. Also please don't necropost. If you see a significant time has passed since the last post, please create a new topic and reference the old one.

FishGaming
United States of America

Post by FishGaming » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:01 pm

sorry I didn't even know that was a thing (necroposting). I generally have tried to post new topics but many times am called out for not posting it in just the right spot either. I would have rather made a new topic to try and gain some attention to it more but felt like it was possible better to post on something people already were commenting on. Sorry and thanks for the reply

Return to “The Sandbox”