Rebirthe

This forum allows mod makers with projects in the beginning stages to showcase their mod.

No votes

Total votes: 0

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Rebirthe

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:11 pm

Rebirthe

Modmaker: cla$$ics
Versions: 1.10, 1.11x, 1.12x

Mod Facts
- No new storyline, its Diablo at its core.
- Items have been greatly enhanced. Some new runewords. Tons of new cube recipes and new sets, uniques. You also have 'Cube Level' which deactivates certain cube recipes until you have reached a certain cube level. 'Cube Experience' can be gained by using certain recipes, and you can do a 'Cube Levelup Recipe' to levelup the cube.
- So far the Druid has only been completed, but I'm working on the Sorceress now. Her Cold skill tree is completed (not in 0.01). There will be a Mortal Kombat fighting system implemented later which makes you more vulnerable to damage at certain times, and requiring more thought put in to using skills, other than just bombarding an area with Hadokens or using Burst of Speed as a permenant buff.
- Characters will not be changed all that much, just minor alterations, and the fact that you have no light radius whatsoever =P.
- Monsters will be much stronger and more dynamic. For example, Fallen Shamans now cast meteor, Fallen run more, and cast Blaze fairly often. They also have a healing nova of sorts. Some monsters have been readded (i.e. Undead Ratmen, Sand Fishers, Warped Ones...), and some new ones have been added to the mix (Cactus Boars, among them).
- Some minor addins -
*Some new sounds, some will be familiar =)
*Flamespike the Crawler reenabled
*Cairn Stones are arranged according to the scroll

- Note that only the druid is availible at this time. Other classes have not been completed.

- get it here
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Re: Rebirthe

Post by cla$$ics » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:23 pm

Thanks Myhrginoc =P

Version 0.02 is going to be completed before too long. Will have these features -

*Corrupt Rogues now have a brief light radius upon death (for the spirit release thingy, will probably do this with Cantors too later on.
*Sorceress is completed and has 16 new skills
*About 40 new cube recipes
*Several new monsters
*Large amount of replaced tiles (the Stone Fills, among them)

UPDATES
*Fire now smokes, looks especially cool w/ Firestorm and Meteor, happens after the fire dissappears
*Fallen now have added tricks up their sleeves and can assume three different behavior patterns based on their environment - Shooting, Grenadiers, or Melee.
*On that note, added some new Meteor sounds to make it sound like a mortar hitting the ground.
*New and more realistic fire sounds
*New Overlay for Charged Bolt
*New Music - Added as a side download, highly recommended

And just a teaser for the skills -
*Senseflash - Stuns everyone who can't block (including yourself, can't cast spells) for 4 seconds. Further points add more stun duration and damage.
*Hailfire - Similiar to the spike catapult ball in function, spikes explode when tripped
*Warmth - Increases mana recovery at the cost of missile speed, has to be casted like Burst of Speed
*Lightspeed - Increases your speed and has cool sound and trail effect
Many more....

More Updates

- Fallen Healing Nova removed, its way too glitchy.
- Improved AI for Fallen (They can now cast Blaze on their own, not from CTC (they still can though), they can cast Life Tap and other curses, and they aren't restricted to firing only one missile, so one monster can fire both Grenades and Bullets)
- Two new Corrupt Rogue Variants (Schemists and Cannoneers)
- New music for Arreat Summit, Nihlithak's Temple Entrance, Tal Rasha's Chamber, and Worldstone Chamber.
- Black Hole renamed to Blackened Halo
That's it for now

Front Page News
Version 0.02 has been cancelled. Its far too unstable to release to the public at this time.
Known Instabilities with 0.02
*Game will crash when you enter gamble screen.
*Game will crash when certain set items are equipped
*The popup description for 1 set is not displaying at all.
*The game forces an item into the player's backpack which isn't supposed to be there
*At least 20 broken chains
*Various tile glitches with Act 1 outdoors

New Features to Report
*Four new abilities for the Paladin (Grace of Flame, Speed of Wind, Fire Spell Marker, and Attack Marker)
*Multiplayer Dungeons. These are dungeons and level.s with a high density and powerful monsters. Best recommended for multiplayer.
-Caves
-Pit
-Hole
-Tristram%
-Stony Tomb
-Halls of the Dead
-Ancient Tunnels
-Temples in Act 3*
-Arachnid Lair*
-Hell levels in Act 5*
* - Currently have more powerful monsters assigned to it.
% - Will not have powerful monsters assigned to it.

*Some new sets

Sorry to say, thats it for now.
Last edited by cla$$ics on Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Although done for our needs, mod-makers should like these changes, too.
11/1/08 - COTL; 5/10/09 - Angel; 11/11/09 - Archangel

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:38 am

News Ahoy
Although there is no piracy to report, I have some other stuff to say.
SO LISTEN UP MATEYS

I have joined the Diabolic Experiment. Expect some delays as far as 0.03 goes.
But you can look forward to these new skills:
Leviathan A powerful summon that can be strengthened by the use of party cooperation (required party cooperation). More party members in your group make it weaker, but extra powers that your party can use to strengthen it will make it more powerful than it was before.
Only 1 Leviathan is allowed per party.
Summoned by Paladins. Paladins can also make turrets for it as well as wardens.
Power of Thunder A passive that increases lightning resistance and damage. At level 75 it is at +247 lightning resistance.
Teasers and Teasers
Marker Abilities
These abilities allow the Paladin to command the party more effectively. There are markers for Attack, Defend, Retreat, Fire Spell, Cold Spell, Lightning Spell, Assault, and Heal*. Each marker, when stood near, brings about bonuses to party members (I.E. Attack gives more damage, etc). So it gives plenty of reason to follow a Paladin's orders.
Look in my album people =P
Ugh, News?
Here on this....November 2nd, 3:54 AM, i have some news to report.
*7 New Runewords
*Fixed bugs
*Defend Marker Skill
*Enhanced blood effects and sounds (needs tweaking): Added a mist effect, so whenever you or monsters bleed, theres more sound effect and a sort of mist around where you got wounded. Blood is darker aswell.

Download Available
I have the unstable version 0.02 mirrored here.
Will get mirrored at the keep ASAP
http://files.filefront.com/rebirthe+002 ... einfo.html

A reborn orchestra

To start off, I have v1.00 of the Music Plugin here:
http://files.filefront.com/rebirthe+mus ... einfo.html
Warning: File Size: 455.28MB

Unfortunately, due to legal issues in conjunction with mental issues, my mod progress has been slowed.

Cycle is slowed

Rebirthe is back in production, however due to a lack of any real support for this mod, its on the brink. I do have a tidbit of news to report though:
*7 new sets (Hell's Tempest, Siege on Mankind, Deadly Flourish, Paladin's Prowess, Waging War, Underworld Forgery and Archon Assault Equipment)
Keep up the (un)supportment!

I do have a gameplay video here:
http://www.xfire.com/video/483a3/
It looks better ingame, the video quality is kinda crappy

Update
(Saturday, November 29, 1:22AM)

Scepters, Staffs, Wands, Orbs, Amazon Bows, Heads, Paladin Shields, Amazon Spears, Amazon Javelins, Barbarian Helmets, and Pelts are now available on the gamble screen.

I have a second gameplay video out (Even though only 2 people viewed the first one ^_^):
http://www.xfire.com/video/48410/
1 hit so far, yay =P

Major/Minor Update
(Tuesday, December 9th, 3:21 AM)

-Shadow spawners are removed from Frigid Highlands. Their laggy beyond belief...
-7 new runewords, always good (Chosen One, Death by Beauty, Exile, Dire Consequences, Inspiration, Undending Solace and Ideal Love)
-Leviathan Turret is done, so only 1 more skill remains in the Command Skill Tree
-Quill rats that originate in Act 5 are now brown. My reasoning? They would need some cover in the brush. Based on their behavior, their an herbivore, so they need camouflage to protect themselves :lol:

*Heal is not going to be a marker anymore
Last edited by cla$$ics on Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:32 am, edited 10 times in total.

the_bogan
Champion of the Light
New Zealand

Post by the_bogan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:40 am

Hi there, just checking I've done it right.

Installed the data file direct to my Diablo installation. Should certain files be saying they already exist and need to be overwritten? (Downloaded the unstable version from http://files.filefront.com/rebirthe+002 ... einfo.html , and no, I didn't already have a data folder in the directory, :P )

Once I did say yes to all, when trying to cube the lucky charm with an herb did wouldn't complete. I must have the mod at least partially installed, because I managed to use water to create the two initial recipes.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:17 am

No, it shouldnt need files overwritten at all

And once again, its been labelled as 'unstable', I don't recommend you download it as 0.01 is better (don't get Act 1 crashes), and I can fully support it

So being as how your the first one to respond, what is your opinion of the mod?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I don't think its an herb that you have to cube with it, I think its water
Last edited by cla$$ics on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

the_bogan
Champion of the Light
New Zealand

Post by the_bogan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:42 am

First impressions (now I have the right version, :) )

Slow. I don't mean this in a bad way. The inability to buy potions, and the recipes required to make them, mean that I'm having to be very cautious. Still doesn't stop me from dying though.

This seems like it will get very interesting once I've got up and going.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:01 am

Its meant to be slow because I have a loathing of battle.net runs, and I was working to prevent rushes, it appears to work well apparently. Battle.net runs really take out of the game, and reduce the game to simply 'Point, click, run boss, repeat', and on the off chance 'Trade' or 'drink potion'. Now its, 'Click, run, click, cast spell, run, cast spell, run, etc.'. Though i'm considering making mana potions buyable (i dont remember if i did or not, its been forever and a day since i worked on this mod, due to legal issues)

The key thing in this mod is not cautiousness, but strategy. If you plan things out properly then you shouldnt need many potions, atleast from my experience with it. I need to get some testers ASAP, and maybe write a strategy guide because from what i've seen from playing it in a 3 man LAN group, is that this mod really catches you off-guard as far as gameplay goes. Atleast as far as i've seen, anyway. Your experiences may vary.

One thing that i'm having problems with developing this is a lot of skill inbalances, mainly with the Spiritbloom skill and the summons (Spiritbloom is godly, while the summons are weak as a piece of paper). Another problem that i'm having, is, as you've noticed, is that this mod is lacking players.

In my opinion I guess I was being a bit stereotypical of D2 players, but for a good portion of B.Net players, thats what it is pretty much.

EDIT: BTW, I can estimate that I will be able to work on this and the DE in about 2 weeks, just an estimate.
Last edited by cla$$ics on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:58 am

Not rebirthe related news - but I have done a side trip project, ZoomZoom Balance Mod which may intrigue you.

Features so far:
-Potions, scrolls unable to be bought from vendors
-TP scrolls don't drop normally
-Gold drops reduced from champions, uniques, and superuniques
-Monsters harder
-Player starting stats greatly reduced
-No potions on start
-Sorceress starts with Charged Bolt instead of Fire Bolt
-All spells do 25% of their original damage (including Masteries)
-Durability on all items has been greatly reduced (Maximum durability on a base item: 20)
-Damage on all items has been greatly reduced
-3 Types of Herbs: Combine Power, Speed, and Agility Herbs to create potions, tp scrolls. and more
-Start with cube

Some Cube Recipes:
*Power Herb x2 = Minor Health Potion
*Power Herb x2 + Speed Herb = Light Health Potion
*Speed Herb x2 = Minor Mana Potion
*Speed Herb x2 + Power Herb = Light Mana Potion
*Agility Herb + Any Gem higher than Chipped = Next Lower Grade of Gem (as Sapphire)
*Agility Herb + Speed Herb = Stamina Potion

Aaaand heres the file for you to download
http://files.filefront.com/ZoomZoom+10z ... einfo.html
Last edited by cla$$ics on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:43 am

Update - Rebirthe
Im working on the mod again! I have some news to report for you today.

New Skill - Commanding Presence
This is a castable skill. When casted, gives you and nearby party members a boost to attack rating for a period of time.
If you cast this in town, the effect (and therefore the state) will not become active until you leave town, but it will still count towards your duration.
If you cast this outside of town and then enter town, the effect will deactivate until you leave town, and the duration will count against you.
Base Duration: 200s
Base Attack Rating Boost: 25%
Solid Diameter: 1000

New Unique Items
7 new unique items

New Runewords
9 new runewords

New Runeword Functionality
Runewords can now contain gems. Gems have their own 'Rune Letter' (E.g. - El is El, etc) and can be made into a runeword, or combined with runes to make a rune word.

Update - Rebirthe

New Skill - Apprehensive Presence
This is similiar to Commanding Presence, but it increases your defense instead of attack.

3 New Sets
- Tools for Fools (Level 1 set, 3 items)
- ITAN-6 Falls (Level 17 set, 4 items)
- Fear Gear (Level 14 set, 4 items)

Misc. Additions
- 8 New Magic Prefixes
- 5 New Magic Suffixes
Last edited by cla$$ics on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:15 am

Release!
Version 0.03 has been released. You can download it here:
http://files.filefront.com/003zip/;1347 ... einfo.html

Known Issues::

*Skills are a little screwy on (what would be) the Defensive Auras tree. Due to this, Redemption is unable to be used until 0.04.

*There's an unknown random crash upon entering the Frigid Highlands. This is very rare and unlikely to happen.

*I'm aware that several of the Magic Prefixes/Suffixes have missing strings and are bracketed (E.x - '[Frostforbidding] Amulet'). If you can get me a list of strings that are missing, that'd be great.

*Leviathans have low health, due to a calc bug in 1.11+. If you use 1.10, this shouldn't be an issue (if i'm not mistaken). This may also be because of rollovers.

*The Cairn Stones portal bug is *still* not fixed, the stones themselves might just need to be moved, im not sure. Will be fixed by 1.0, this isn't a major issue because it doesn't affect gameplay directly.

*Jewelry don't display 'Socketed' on them, you have to manually look. No known fix.

New Features: 17 all new skills for the Paladin, though you can use all classes. Many new sets, runewords and uniques. Arrows/Bolts can now be magic, socketed, rare and set. No uniques yet though :P New junk items and difficult cube recipes that you must discover on your own. New throwing weapons, including a Poison Gas Gun and a Nova Sword. Stable version.

Soon to come: Barbarian skills, professions, scrolls of wizardry, new gem types, unique arrows/bolts, mega jewels, convert water/sand/acid/herbs into jewels, summoning stones, bug fixes.

Enjoy!
Last edited by cla$$ics on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:40 am

Update

I noticed on the last release there was a bug which caused runewords to crash. This problem has been fixed and will be active starting next release

Defensive Auras tab bug is fixed.

Now time for features-

Professions - The shell of the profession system is totally done. Which means, all I have to do is add recipes :)
You have 10 different professions to choose from, and I recommend you choose only 2-3 ::

Gemcutting - Cut gems more efficiently, build mega jewels, and make jewelry through disenchanting items (A barely recognized feature from 0.01)

Alchemy - The study of potionmaking. Make elixirs and potions that you wouldnt be able to without this skill.

Cooking - Cook recipes by following a recipe card (easy) or attempting to make your own recipe. You can burn/undercook food, but higher levels of cooking will make this happen less often. Cooking is a slow method of healing, but it works and saves you expensive town portal scrolls.

Charming - Build charms by compacting high amounts of Flux dust and magical water/sand/herbs/acid together. Higher levels allow you to make Scrolls of Wizardry (more on that later).

Blacksmithing - The art of metalworking. You need metal items to melt down, so scrapping that unused Rare Sword will be needed here.

Summoning - At level 1, you build a Summoning stone (an item that classifies as a Throwing Weapon. Throw it to release a monster.). From there on out, you use Scrolls of Wizardry (which can be bought, btw) to change the type and level of monster. Higher levels of summoning = stronger monsters and more monsters.

Mathematics - Mathematics is used to strengthen weapons and armor. By writing out formulas (and a little bit of blacksmithing), you can increase how aerodynamic an item is, come up with a way for stronger weapons, as well as make coveted Socketing Formulas and other enchantments.

Insight - As of the previous update, there were hidden recipes that you needed to figure out in order to get some items. This skill helps you find out recipes used with 'junk' class items (E.g. - String) by using Scrolls of Identify. (Example: Bleeding Heart + Scroll of Identify = 5% chance of creating a Recipe Card that lists what this item is used for, as well as Profesionary Experience.)
Insight also unlocks special recipes with Mathematics, Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Summoning, Charming, and Fletching.

Charisma - Inside the towns, people fear for their lives on an everyday basis. But, with a little bit of charm, wit, and craftiness, you can barter with merchants for lower prices. Combine cosmetics with your Blackened Halo ring for a 35% chance for 1% reduced vendor prices. Also blend special tonics that can be added onto your weapon for blinding, stun, terror, and more. (Note: This is only available to Assassins.)

Fletching - Archery may just be your only means of survival! Using fletching, you can build stronger bows and crossbows than what you might find at the store.

----------------------------------

Blackened Halo - Holds Information about professions
Professionary EXP flags - Adds +10 experience to a profession.

----------------------------------

New Skills -

Pray to Ancients - Launches a devastating missile attack that does damage based on your current health. The lower your health, the higher the damage.[/b]

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:25 am

ATTENTION
Due to current economic events, filefront will be closed. This means you MUST download rebirthe AND the music pack BEFORE march 30th. Follow the links in my sig

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Updates

*Three new Barbarian Skills - Speak to Ancients (Invulnerability skill), Abandon Lower Form (Shapeshifting, Increased Damage + Attack, no running), Inheritance (Casted ability - Increased Gold/Magic Find)

Phlebiac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Phlebiac » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:50 am

Is the music pack necessary to play the mod?

Btw. I am just downloading the mod so at least today, filefront seems to still be online.

Edit:
I just played a Paladin to level 2 and found a few small issues.

1. The skill Block only increases the defense. The text states, that it raises resistances as well. See Screenshot.

2. There seems to be something wrong with the color strings of Experience flags. See this Screenshot for more info.

3. The skill Zeal still shows the line: Zeal recieves Bonuses from: at the bottom of the skill description.
See Screenshot.

4. On reaching level 2, I could spend my skillpoint in five different skills from the leadership tab. One of the skill does have other skills as prerequisites though. You should either remove the arrows indicating the prerequisites if they don't exist any more or the skill should not be available as long as the player has not spent points for the prereqs.
Screenshot

5. I suppose this is supposed to be that way, but I could not find it in the docs. The paladin only got two attribute points on level up.

I have to leave home now, but I will continue to look into the mod this evening. But I must admit that I would like the mod even more if I could test it with the barbarian :D.
Last edited by Phlebiac on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather go to Africa and get eaten by an Elephant... Snoopy

Card carrying member of mentaldom since March 2007!

ZyEl Wiki

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:45 am

Phlebiac";p="413816" wrote:Is the music pack necessary to play the mod?

Btw. I am just downloading the mod so at least today, filefront seems to still be online.

Edit:
I just played a Paladin to level 2 and found a few small issues.

1. The skill Block only increases the defense. The text states, that it raises resistances as well. See Screenshot.

2. There seems to be something wrong with the color strings of Experience flags. See this Screenshot for more info.

3. The skill Zeal still shows the line: Zeal recieves Bonuses from: at the bottom of the skill description.
See Screenshot.

4. On reaching level 2, I could spend my skillpoint in five different skills from the leadership tab. One of the skill does have other skills as prerequisites though. You should either remove the arrows indicating the prerequisites if they don't exist any more or the skill should not be available as long as the player has not spent points for the prereqs.
Screenshot

5. I suppose this is supposed to be that way, but I could not find it in the docs. The paladin only got two attribute points on level up.

I have to leave home now, but I will continue to look into the mod this evening. But I must admit that I would like the mod even more if I could test it with the barbarian :D.
No, the music pack is not necessary.

1. Known bug, will be fixed next patch
2. Known bug, will be fixed next patch.
3. Missed that, will be fixed next patch
4. Known bug, already fixed in the next patch
5. Thats a bug not a feature =). Maybe I need to package things better but oh well. You can do (Solute/Solvent/Herb) + Rare Weapon to make an elixir for the Blackened Halo that adds stats to the ring, based on whether you used Sand, an Herb, Water, or Acid.

Sand = Energy
Herb = Dexterity
2 Waters = Vitality
Acid = Strength

What is your overall opinion of the mod?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/rebirthe
Moddb page

Phlebiac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Phlebiac » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:21 am

So my Paladin hit level 6 yesterday and beat Blood Raven on the Graveyard.

What a fight. This was really a nice challenge, not to hard and not too easy.

About the overall opinion:
:arrow: The gameplay is really nice as it is now. As I said above, the monsters are challenging, but not frustratingly hard. In my opinion the monster density is too low though. In the Blood Moor, I barely met more then three to five monsters and the Cold Plains had not many more. But I needed to kill a few monsters because the later ones beat me and I needed a few levels. Thus I had to rerun the Cold Plains quiet often to get experience and gear and if I remember correctly that was one thing you did not want in your mod.

:arrow: I have found dozens of new items like scarabs, threads and whatever. And although ever item has a short text describing it, I am not sure if they are just junk or if I can do something with them. A hint on wether an item can be used as part of a recipe would be nice.

:arrow: I know that this mod is still in a fearly early phase of construction and this is not one of the dearest works for modders, but I would really appreciate some better documentation. Espacially about the above mentioned items a few hints would be great if you don't want to let the player in on the concrete recipe. But I read on moddb that you are working on a homepage so that might be the place where I will find my information.

:arrow: The new skill of the Paladin are nice as far as I have tested them. As you said though, the Leviathan is completely useless as he is now. He definitly does not have 1200 life or there is something else going wrong. The first mark is cool. It sheds light in dark caverns and draws fire from monsters. I don'T know if the last part is intended but it is really cool because it takes some heat off of the player.

:arrow: I am glad the two statpoints is an error. Otherwise it would be really hard to meet all the item requirements 8-O.

:arrow: Last thing has nothing to do with your mod as it is, but I don't like Paladins very much, so give me my Barb ;).

More to come in the evening or tomorrow when I get to play some more. I will try to circumvent the statpoints with plugy until the new version is out.

Edit: *Chipped Gem = Flux and Essence This recipe does not seem to work.
And could you please explain the use of Big Jar, Paper Clip and Jar Collector. Either I do something wrong with them or they don't work.
Last edited by Phlebiac on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZyEl Wiki

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:58 pm

:arrow: Strings and other 'junk' items that you found on the ground can be used for varius recipes, you just have to figure them out. But I'll give you six -
Any Paper (Except Assorted) + String = TP or Identify Scroll
Porcelain Jewelry x3 + Sand = Chipped Diamond
Bones + Water = Flux
Bones x3 = Chipped Skull
Cracked Skull x2 = Chipped Skull
Cracked Rune x2 = El Rune

There are loads more. In 0.04, the profession Insight will allow you to find out more recipes.

:arrow: I'll promise to make better documentation next time around. All the bugs you have listed are now fixed, including some double-namers you didn't list.

:arrow: The Leviathan is another known bug, it needs to go under testing.

Paperclips and jars might work, im not sure if they work on your end or not.

Pocketed Folder + Paper junk item = Store paper into folder. Like the gem holders of ES.
Paperclip + Pocketed Folder (with papers in it) = Remove the paper selected on the Paperclip (Cube the paperclip to change it's setting).

Big Jar + Brain/Ears/Eye in a Jar = Store a jarred junk item. Use a Jar Collector on a specific setting to remove a Brain/Ear/Eye in a Jar. These don't work though :( Fixed next patch, and will not work for Jars of Blood.

Here are some hints as to item usage -

Jars of Blood are used for potions.
Clumping Moss, Bundles of Leaves, and Dripping Spores make herbs.
Dripping Spores and Clumping Moss make Acid.
Broken Glass upgrades potions.
Etched Stones make runes.
Bleeding Hearts make potions.
Bloodstained Fabric makes rare leather items.
Flayed Books make Scroll Books (Tome of Town Portal, Tome of Identify)
Rusty Blades are useless.
Old Coins make rings.
Benign Amulets make Amulets.
Scarabs make Jewels.

EDIT: Chipped Ruby + Water = Essence of Flame and Flux. Then you can right click on essence of flame until you get the essence you want. Then the essence + flux = a chipped gem. This allows you to make whatever chipped gem you want except diamonds.
Last edited by cla$$ics on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:56 pm

New Content
Four new Barbarian skills-

Human Hybridism (Level 6, Passive) - Increases stamina and Charge damage.

Human Evolution (Level 6, Passive) - Increases melee critical chance.

Consume Corpse (Level 18) - Consume a fallen enemy for health. Requires Human Hybridism

Bureaucracy (Level 24) - Increases damage done, and effects from Marker abilities while active.

Enjoy.

Phlebiac
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Phlebiac » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:15 pm

Strange things happened today.

I tried to upgrade my Blackened Halo.
I don't have a screenshot from the input ring, but it had exactly 500 XP and in addition +5 Strength and +5 Dexterity.

I then applied the recipe:
*Black Hole w/ 500 XP + Diamond (Standard Grade) + Water + EXP Flag = Upgrade to level 2
And I got this ring.

It was really level 3 now because I can use 3rd level cube recipes.
In addition, as you can see, the bonus stats were burned during the cubing process.

Other recipes that do not work as stated in the txt:
*Standard Gem + Water = Powdered Magic and Essence x3 [3]
I only got 1 essence.

*Rare Item + Powdered Magic x1-6 = Add 1-6 sockets to item EXP Flags, 1-6 [Levels 2-7, varies with sockets]
One socket works fine. For two sockets I only got 1 EXP Flag and I suppose it should be two.
If this is right and you get six Flags when putting six sockets into an item, you get problems with polearms and other items that take up eight inventory slots since the cube only has 12 slots and you would need 14.

Do you have an ETA for the next patch with all the Barbarian content?

Btw. I like your multiplayer approach on the mod but please keep an eye on it so that it is still playable in single player too. I don't know how many of the mod players out there are playing via TCP/IP regularly, but I don't and I don't want to be kept out of the mod just because it is too hard to solo it.
Speaking of which, I can not proceed into the Tamoe Highlands with my Level 12 Paladin right now. Every single monster there one-hits me. I will try it again with a little more preparation, but as I said before, this takes lots of rerunning areas.

Edit: ONe thing I forgot. I found about 4 or five magic waters and acids now and they all have exactly the same affixes.
Last edited by Phlebiac on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ZyEl Wiki

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:33 pm

Phlebiac";p="414625" wrote:Strange things happened today.

I tried to upgrade my Blackened Halo.
I don't have a screenshot from the input ring, but it had exactly 500 XP and in addition +5 Strength and +5 Dexterity.

I then applied the recipe:
*Black Hole w/ 500 XP + Diamond (Standard Grade) + Water + EXP Flag = Upgrade to level 2
And I got this ring.

It was really level 3 now because I can use 3rd level cube recipes.
In addition, as you can see, the bonus stats were burned during the cubing process.

Other recipes that do not work as stated in the txt:
*Standard Gem + Water = Powdered Magic and Essence x3 [3]
I only got 1 essence.

*Rare Item + Powdered Magic x1-6 = Add 1-6 sockets to item EXP Flags, 1-6 [Levels 2-7, varies with sockets]
One socket works fine. For two sockets I only got 1 EXP Flag and I suppose it should be two.
If this is right and you get six Flags when putting six sockets into an item, you get problems with polearms and other items that take up eight inventory slots since the cube only has 12 slots and you would need 14.

Do you have an ETA for the next patch with all the Barbarian content?

Btw. I like your multiplayer approach on the mod but please keep an eye on it so that it is still playable in single player too. I don't know how many of the mod players out there are playing via TCP/IP regularly, but I don't and I don't want to be kept out of the mod just because it is too hard to solo it.
Speaking of which, I can not proceed into the Tamoe Highlands with my Level 12 Paladin right now. Every single monster there one-hits me. I will try it again with a little more preparation, but as I said before, this takes lots of rerunning areas.

Edit: ONe thing I forgot. I found about 4 or five magic waters and acids now and they all have exactly the same affixes.
The first one you posted is weird indeed. But a sweep through Cubemain and I should be able to fix this, I know what is wrong i think.

Second one - Yet another bug :-O-:

Third Question: Yes! It will be released next Friday, April 24th. And I will be having a TCP/IP that weekend if im not doing anything. Also, in the next patch Meteorics will be reduced to 1 in a pack.
Beware, in the monastery there are Death Dogs and Death Breeders. Impossible to kill them, but will be fixed next patch.

EDIT: I will also be editing the socketing formula so it doesn't give more than 1 flag, and I am looking into getting an increased cube size plugin. Mainly the reason you get 1 flag is because "qty" doesn't seem to work in output values, and are limited to 3 output

EDIT 2: Ingredients have hardly any affixes to get on them, usually oskills. So you might get a lot of them with the same affix. I think theres limits on how many prefixes and suffixes you put, so im trying to reserve space.

EDIT 3: 1st bug fixed. I had to compromise on the second: Instead of getting a set amount of essence, you get 1 essence, 1 flux, and a downgraded gem.
Last edited by cla$$ics on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:03 pm

Release!
0.04 has been released! Get it here:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/rebirthe/down ... birthe-004

Squirrelloid

Post by Squirrelloid » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:41 pm

Cla$$ics:

I looked briefly at your mod but got turned off by the 'secret' cube recipes. I don't find throwing random crap into the cube and hitting 'activate' to be very fun. I wouldn't imagine I'm the only one. I certainly don't want to have to keep a spreadsheet of every combination I've tried in the cube - that sounds far too much like work.

Imho, a successful mod fully documents all cube recipes, runewords, etc... so players can plan ahead and understand what's going on. A game like d2 isn't about figuring out how the game works, its about killing monsters and building a character. Your philosophy on game design seems positively gygaxian.

Second, your answer to 'runs' seems to be making the early game really obnoxious (can't buy potions or scrolls). This of course has no impact on running particular aspects of the game. Last time I seriously played d2 (~3 years ago) my sorceress could run hell baal on /players 8 without burning any potions. Similarly, my necromancer (summoner) and druid (summon/elemental) also consumed no potions in similar circumstances (although they were slower). My barbarian maybe quaffed 1 full rejuv in a run. Clearly altering the potion dynamic has no impact on running lucrative areas of the game.

The reason why 'running' certain areas dominates bnet play is not because that's what people find fun, but because people want to get the really awesome gear. Such gear drops rarely enough that the only way you're likely to see it is to repeatedly play areas with a high ilevel while wearing gear with great mf. In fact, it takes longer to get good gear than it does to complete the game by at least an order of magnitude. This is a game design flaw, and the answer is not in making the early game painful, but in altering the treasure drop dynamics (to reduce running to get the good gear) and make enough skills and skill combinations (builds within classes) viable to increase replayability so that players spend more time playing through the game rather than running end bosses for loot.

Basically, you're punishing people during the wrong part of the game and not providing incentives to avoid the kind of play you dislike. People will still finish playing through the game and then scum the end levels to get the good gear. It might take them a little longer to play through, but it won't take an order of magnitude longer - so the imbalance remains essentially the same.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:09 pm

Squirrelloid";p="415088" wrote:Cla$$ics:

I looked briefly at your mod but got turned off by the 'secret' cube recipes. I don't find throwing random crap into the cube and hitting 'activate' to be very fun. I wouldn't imagine I'm the only one. I certainly don't want to have to keep a spreadsheet of every combination I've tried in the cube - that sounds far too much like work.
The idea of secret cube recipes are to make the game more team-oriented. A lot of the hidden cube recipes are, in themselves, logic puzzles to tease the mind. Why put this in an action oriented game? Well, because it allows you to think for a change instead of "Click, click, click, 1, click, click, 1, click click, right click, right click, click, click, click, 3, right click, click". Furthermore, when I finish the Insight profession, you can have access to some (not all) secrets to how the recipes work.
Squirrelloid";p="415088" wrote:Imho, a successful mod fully documents all cube recipes, runewords, etc... so players can plan ahead and understand what's going on. A game like d2 isn't about figuring out how the game works, its about killing monsters and building a character. Your philosophy on game design seems positively gygaxian.
So your saying that The Witcher, which is a game, and which uses the same concept, fails? Another thing to note is that at first, D2 documented hardly any cube recipes. The only thing you got was a hint or two from Cain. So D2 fails then?
Squirrelloid";p="415088" wrote:Second, your answer to 'runs' seems to be making the early game really obnoxious (can't buy potions or scrolls). This of course has no impact on running particular aspects of the game. Last time I seriously played d2 (~3 years ago) my sorceress could run hell baal on /players 8 without burning any potions. Similarly, my necromancer (summoner) and druid (summon/elemental) also consumed no potions in similar circumstances (although they were slower). My barbarian maybe quaffed 1 full rejuv in a run. Clearly altering the potion dynamic has no impact on running lucrative areas of the game.

The reason why 'running' certain areas dominates bnet play is not because that's what people find fun, but because people want to get the really awesome gear. Such gear drops rarely enough that the only way you're likely to see it is to repeatedly play areas with a high ilevel while wearing gear with great mf. In fact, it takes longer to get good gear than it does to complete the game by at least an order of magnitude. This is a game design flaw, and the answer is not in making the early game painful, but in altering the treasure drop dynamics (to reduce running to get the good gear) and make enough skills and skill combinations (builds within classes) viable to increase replayability so that players spend more time playing through the game rather than running end bosses for loot.
If you alter the treasure drop dynamics, this will in turn increase run time. Running will clearly not be reduced, it will only mean you have to grind for a longer period of time to get the desired effect.

Instead, what I have done is increase the chance to get good gear, then reduce that to only affect champions, uniques, and superuniques.

Early game seems hard, but the source of the 'problem' is that early acts are minor on monsters. If you want a lot of monsters, go through a Multiplayer Dungeon. The Blood Moor, Rocky Waste, and the Spider Forest are low in monsters because it can be presumed that the local guard has taken care of nearby threats. The Blood Moor is even more lacking of monsters because Flavie is on duty.
Squirrelloid";p="415088" wrote:Basically, you're punishing people during the wrong part of the game and not providing incentives to avoid the kind of play you dislike. People will still finish playing through the game and then scum the end levels to get the good gear. It might take them a little longer to play through, but it won't take an order of magnitude longer - so the imbalance remains essentially the same.
Why punish the higher levels when I can let the hammer fall on lower levels? According to you, I punish lower levels. This is half right. If you stem off the lower levels, then people will have a progressively hard time throughout the game, because they can't get the best gear at the beginning, so they fall even further behind once they reached Act 2.

I do thank you for your criticism however. One thing I must ask though:
Squirrelloid";p="415088" wrote:I looked briefly at your mod
How can you criticize something that you have only briefly looked at? o.o

Squirrelloid

Post by Squirrelloid » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:10 pm

cla$$ics";p="415096" wrote:

The idea of secret cube recipes are to make the game more team-oriented. A lot of the hidden cube recipes are, in themselves, logic puzzles to tease the mind. Why put this in an action oriented game? Well, because it allows you to think for a change instead of "Click, click, click, 1, click, click, 1, click click, right click, right click, click, click, click, 3, right click, click". Furthermore, when I finish the Insight profession, you can have access to some (not all) secrets to how the recipes work.
Team play cannot be a goal of a mod until it has a substantial player base. You need to get individuals to want to play it first. Its highly likely i will never play a mod multiplayer, so multiplayer aspects are useless to me. And that's likely to be the norm for the mod-playing community.

And secret cube recipes are not logic puzzles because there's no need for them to be logical at all. Or they adhere only to whatever random logic the creator decides to implement. I mean, someone could think they're very clever by using a greek elemental composition theme for their cube recipes, or a zodiacal system, gemmatria, or any random thing that is completely incomprehensible unless you know what they're thinking.

So, faced with unknown cube recipes, the only logical way to go about it is to make an nxn grid in excel or something, and try every 1x1 combination. Then make an nxnxn matrix (and we're in matlab now, assuming the person even owns it) and try every 3 item combination, and so on (fortunately, matlab handles n-dimensional matrices). And not only is that mind-numbingly dull, its also far too much like work for me to ever want to play such a system. I play games to have fun, after all, and I imagine most people do as well.
Squirrelloid";p="415088" wrote:Imho, a successful mod fully documents all cube recipes, runewords, etc... so players can plan ahead and understand what's going on. A game like d2 isn't about figuring out how the game works, its about killing monsters and building a character. Your philosophy on game design seems positively gygaxian.
So your saying that The Witcher, which is a game, and which uses the same concept, fails? Another thing to note is that at first, D2 documented hardly any cube recipes. The only thing you got was a hint or two from Cain. So D2 fails then?
Games about figuring out how the game works are plausible. D2 is not set up to be one, and the existing player base for d2 is not looking for that.

To be honest I didn't do much playing before battle.net had reasonably full documentation up (their Arreat Summit section). And the playing I did do then was pre-LoD and thus pre-runes and most of the interesting crafting recipes - not knowing crafting recipes when there were few to none that anyone cared about wasn't a big deal.

My experience with mods is mostly Eastern Sun (before the basic game had elite items) and EftA. Both of which extensively documented the changes they made to items, cube recipes, etc...
Squirrelloid";p="415088" wrote:Second, your answer to 'runs' seems to be making the early game really obnoxious (can't buy potions or scrolls). This of course has no impact on running particular aspects of the game. Last time I seriously played d2 (~3 years ago) my sorceress could run hell baal on /players 8 without burning any potions. Similarly, my necromancer (summoner) and druid (summon/elemental) also consumed no potions in similar circumstances (although they were slower). My barbarian maybe quaffed 1 full rejuv in a run. Clearly altering the potion dynamic has no impact on running lucrative areas of the game.

If you alter the treasure drop dynamics, this will in turn increase run time. Running will clearly not be reduced, it will only mean you have to grind for a longer period of time to get the desired effect.

Instead, what I have done is increase the chance to get good gear, then reduce that to only affect champions, uniques, and superuniques.
I think my point was exactly that - drops need to be improved to decrease running. Although from a design standpoint, if running is undesirable then all drops should be improved because improving only specific monsters merely encourages running those monsters.
Early game seems hard, but the source of the 'problem' is that early acts are minor on monsters. If you want a lot of monsters, go through a Multiplayer Dungeon. The Blood Moor, Rocky Waste, and the Spider Forest are low in monsters because it can be presumed that the local guard has taken care of nearby threats. The Blood Moor is even more lacking of monsters because Flavie is on duty.
Does this mean the player is also specifically starved of xp if they're just trying to play through the game? This also encourages running (albeit, running the optional levels) just to get enough xp to play later areas of the game. Your design decisions seem to be opposite of the play preferences you advocated earlier in this thread.
Squirrelloid";p="415088" wrote:Basically, you're punishing people during the wrong part of the game and not providing incentives to avoid the kind of play you dislike. People will still finish playing through the game and then scum the end levels to get the good gear. It might take them a little longer to play through, but it won't take an order of magnitude longer - so the imbalance remains essentially the same.
Why punish the higher levels when I can let the hammer fall on lower levels? According to you, I punish lower levels. This is half right. If you stem off the lower levels, then people will have a progressively hard time throughout the game, because they can't get the best gear at the beginning, so they fall even further behind once they reached Act 2.
Or you just force them to farm xp and/or gear. This sounds mind-numbingly boring, honestly.
To be honest, I was mostly commenting on design goals you expressed earlier in the thread, and at a look at what you claimed your mod was about. I haven't actually played it at all, and I have no interest in doing so based on your comments on game design. Your mod does not sell itself, which might be why you're having so many problems getting players. This was not intended as a critique of the mod itself, but a critique of your game design philosophy and what the mod is advertising.

cla$$ics
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by cla$$ics » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:39 pm

Squirrelloid";p="415125" wrote:
cla$$ics";p="415096" wrote:

Team play cannot be a goal of a mod until it has a substantial player base. You need to get individuals to want to play it first. Its highly likely i will never play a mod multiplayer, so multiplayer aspects are useless to me. And that's likely to be the norm for the mod-playing community.

And secret cube recipes are not logic puzzles because there's no need for them to be logical at all. Or they adhere only to whatever random logic the creator decides to implement. I mean, someone could think they're very clever by using a greek elemental composition theme for their cube recipes, or a zodiacal system, gemmatria, or any random thing that is completely incomprehensible unless you know what they're thinking.

So, faced with unknown cube recipes, the only logical way to go about it is to make an nxn grid in excel or something, and try every 1x1 combination. Then make an nxnxn matrix (and we're in matlab now, assuming the person even owns it) and try every 3 item combination, and so on (fortunately, matlab handles n-dimensional matrices). And not only is that mind-numbingly dull, its also far too much like work for me to ever want to play such a system. I play games to have fun, after all, and I imagine most people do as well.
Games about figuring out how the game works are plausible. D2 is not set up to be one, and the existing player base for d2 is not looking for that.

To be honest I didn't do much playing before battle.net had reasonably full documentation up (their Arreat Summit section). And the playing I did do then was pre-LoD and thus pre-runes and most of the interesting crafting recipes - not knowing crafting recipes when there were few to none that anyone cared about wasn't a big deal.

My experience with mods is mostly Eastern Sun (before the basic game had elite items) and EftA. Both of which extensively documented the changes they made to items, cube recipes, etc...

I think my point was exactly that - drops need to be improved to decrease running. Although from a design standpoint, if running is undesirable then all drops should be improved because improving only specific monsters merely encourages running those monsters.
Does this mean the player is also specifically starved of xp if they're just trying to play through the game? This also encourages running (albeit, running the optional levels) just to get enough xp to play later areas of the game. Your design decisions seem to be opposite of the play preferences you advocated earlier in this thread.
Or you just force them to farm xp and/or gear. This sounds mind-numbingly boring, honestly.
To be honest, I was mostly commenting on design goals you expressed earlier in the thread, and at a look at what you claimed your mod was about. I haven't actually played it at all, and I have no interest in doing so based on your comments on game design. Your mod does not sell itself, which might be why you're having so many problems getting players. This was not intended as a critique of the mod itself, but a critique of your game design philosophy and what the mod is advertising.
The secret cube recipes are not essential to beating the game. You do not need to know all the secret cube recipes to beat the game. That is not the goal of the game. The goal is to ultimately destroy Baal on Hell.

The player is not starved at all. There's actually more monsters in the later levels than there was before. Take a look at a few of the screenshots I have put up on moddb - particularly, the one with the Canyon of the Magi. This one:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/rebirthe/imag ... 0#imagebox
I did not lure the monsters anywhere. I did not corral them. I ran a little way from the waypoint and encountered that group of monsters. Does the player look xp starved now? In fact, they appear to be overfed. The point I am trying to make is if you make it hard in the beginning, then you set them up for even tougher times in the future. So Diablo II becomes more and more harder, not just a flat rate of gameplay.

Increasing the treasure drops for all monsters isn't the correct way to go. Because as you have seen on that screenshot, if all of them had a 10% chance to drop a unique item (Just using this as an example), then you'd get a LOT of unique items, and a LOT of rare items (Due to how D2 drops items, if an item doesn't have a unique counterpart, like Katars for instance, then it drops a rare)
Now if you only increased the drops to say, the first two or three levels to each act, then you would throw off the whole cycle I mentioned to you.

So if you were in my shoes, what would you do to attract players?

EDIT: As I may have mentioned before, I am going to include an Easy mode at one point or another. That way, if you don't agree with the difficulty dynamics I have set up, then you could go down the easy road, where drops and monster rates are normal.
Last edited by cla$$ics on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Sandbox”