Idea Generator --- What's your favorite magical "item"?

This is the place for people to research themes and ideas for their mods as well as for others to post their suggestions for mod makers to make use of.

Moderator: Nefarius

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Idea Generator --- What's your favorite magical "item"?

Post by k0r3l1k » Tue May 03, 2016 1:59 am

Hey everyone!
I'm trying to come up with some ideas, and for the sake of the design and to prevent any kind of biases I don't want to explain exactly what the idea is for, but I could really use some feedback.

To do so, just answer one simple question!

What is your favorite kind of enchanted/mystical/religious Artifact, Trinket, Token, Bobble etc.

A few examples -
Crucifixes, Dream-catchers, Animal Figurines, Crystal Balls.

Please share your thoughts. Every idea I can get will be helpful.

Thank you
-k0r3l1k

Doub
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Re: Idea Generator --- What's your favorite magical "item"?

Post by Doub » Wed May 04, 2016 9:15 pm

I dont know if this is close to what u want, but i always liked the idea of tattoos on the body. Depending on the tattoo you get different abilities/powers/stats or whatever.

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Wed May 04, 2016 9:24 pm

Thanks for the response Doub. This is exactly what I'm talking about. Thank you for the idea.

Doub
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Doub » Wed May 11, 2016 10:39 am

Im glad i helped :)

Jeewdew
Paladin

Post by Jeewdew » Thu May 12, 2016 7:24 am

I've heard that some old religions used body parts such as ears, tongs (both dried out of course) and bones for protection, even those shrunken heads. The Indians used feathers... And a part of the old Nordic used hoofs and other animal parts. =)

ChaosMarc
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by ChaosMarc » Thu May 12, 2016 8:01 am

In the book series Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, there are magical metal spikes that can be rammed through specific body parts to grant magical abilities. Each ability is defined by metal type and body part used. If done properly those spike won't kill the person even if rammed through eyes, heart, etc.
I always found that concept intriguing because to create those spikes someone with the original abilities has to be killed with a non magical spike that steals his ability

by the way: go and read those books. they are amazing :D

edit: @k0r3l1k Don't miss "Mistborn: Secret History". very interesting insights into cosmere theory ;)
Last edited by ChaosMarc on Fri May 13, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Thu May 12, 2016 7:42 pm

I just finished Mistborn : Bands of Mourning last week ;)

Kuss

Post by Kuss » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:00 pm

.. Tattoos (as above); you could have NPCs that give "tattoo" charms and you can have only 10 and never remove them from inventory (or basically just add a stat instead of charms); owerwriting a tattoo usually makes you lose partial bonus and gain less benefits; tattoos were used in another "greatest game", Planescape: Torment
.. Classics such as voodoo dolls and body parts of famous heroes or infamous creatures
.. Replacing one owns' body parts with those above (for example, a ritualist or a dark mage might have replaced his eyeballs with those of a dark creature)
.. Little idols/fetish of rare animals or creatures that are now lost; or even more mummified versions enhanced with magics
.. A necklace made with shrunk heads (another cliché though)
.. Usually any item that belonged to a famous hero and now is just a relic and serves no purpose other than being a relic (the 'Sword of Korelik' might be a sword, but can't be used in battle since it's sacred or other reasons you like)

There are many more but these are the ones that come to my mind now

Return to “Mod Concepts & Research”