Status Report on CryptForge's next version

Information and updates for the Cryptforge mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderator: Zhoulomcrist

No votes

Total votes: 0

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Status Report on CryptForge's next version

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:59 am

Some important cosmetic and technical changes have been made in recent days with the mod that will be detailed here.

1. The Character Creation Screen now behaves properly. When characters are chosen, the (out-of-place for the new Character Creation Screen) life-size animations no longer show. So, all you see are the portraits. Additionally, when you choose a class, you hear one of their voices (Such as Quest Start/Finish voices, taunts, etc...) just as you hear the Prime Evil taunts when you click on one of them.

2. The 22 sorcerer skills that everyone now has comes with proper skill icons and descriptions. The 8 unique class skills have a place-holder icon until I given them a proper one.

3. I have begun changing dialog on NPCs to account for the changes made to the story in CryptForge from the original game. This is still incomplete and in progress.

4. Certain Prime Evil skills mistakenly cost no mana when cast (Baal's nova, for example). This has been rectified.

I'll follow up with another status report soon once more things have been taken care of.

EDITED

5. Implementation of the Enhanced Hireling Plugin has been completed.

6. A nasty crash bug with Mephisto when getting hit was found to be the result of differing Framecounts for GetHit animations amongst a couple of Mephisto's body part animations. These have been fixed and tested though more testing is still being done to make sure it's fixed.
Last edited by Zhoulomcrist on Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Re: Status Report on CryptForge's next version

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:02 am

......and I'm back. :)

The 2 weeks of break that I spent were well spent and a number of things happened during that time while I was enjoying Warcraft III: Frozen Throne.

I decided to throw in an upgrade and purchased a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS which is pretty cool :) .

Anyway, CryptForge mod development has resumed and is now in full swing again.

As I stated in my announcement in this forum before I went on break, I have decided that the mod will release before the cosmetic changes are made to the maps in-game.

This is the only thing that will be left out in the first release but will be implemented before the second release (assuming no emergency bug-fix releases have to be made).

But, it will NOT be released before any of the other changes are finished (NPC Dialog changes, cube/crafting recipes, etc....).
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin.

Kiwivagrant
Paladin

Post by Kiwivagrant » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:32 am

Welcome back Z.

Hope the break went well and obviously the mod is back on track and speedily approaching a beta release.

Looking forward to hearing the new audio, will certainly be something very unique in modding at the moment (unless I have missed something somewhere :p ).

Have been trudging through different mods, enjoying different features but this one along with Volfs are the two that my mouse and I can't wait to get stuck into.

Good luck with the changes and upgrades. :)

Kiwivagrant.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Mon May 03, 2004 2:08 am

Well, today, some bullS--T decided to happen in the world of the CryptForge.

It is technically unrelated to the mod. But, my speaker system (over $250 which I've had for barely over a year now) decided that today was their day to mess up for good.

Upon opening a drawer on the desk that houses my computer (and PS2), the front of the drawer unexpectedly broke off entirely and fell on the plug which plugs into the "Pre-Amp" hole on the sub-woofer while the speakers were active.

The front of the drawer that droke off wasn't reall all that heavy, maybe about 2 or 3 pounds as a guess, and was about the width of a PS2 console.

This caused the plug to slide out of the hole about 1 or 2 centimeters, not enough to make it fall out on the floor entirely. But, after that, ..... KAPOOFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a loud pop, just all of a sudden there was sound from the satellite speakers but barely a whisper and no more capability to amplify the sound.

Aint modern products great? Built to withstand anything, even those random split-second moments like that. (Lots of sarcasm....).

This caused me to have a very bad emotional and mental reaction (Thank God I aint gotta work tomorrow after what happened today).

:-O-: :-O-: :turnevil: :crazyeyes: :overlord: :bad-words: :bad-words: :burn: :x :buzzsaw: :error: :firedevil: :firedevil:
:flamethrower: :bazooka: :chainsaw: :flamer: :biggun: :behead: :rage: :letskill: :rocket:

I'm sure glad I never sold my 1982 Pickup for a new vehicle......

Anyway, enough of that. On the subject of the mod, the above incident will likely not delay the progress of the mod by much since I still have a pair of headphones to plug into the sound card. They're not the best there is to offer. But, they work pretty good.

I'm still trying to hammer away at NPC dialog and NPC changes as well as map warp re-direction.

This is a big deal in getting the mod released. Much of the other stuff has been taken care of.
Last edited by Zhoulomcrist on Mon May 03, 2004 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiwivagrant
Paladin

Post by Kiwivagrant » Mon May 03, 2004 10:58 pm

It can be bloomin annoying when stuff like that happens - my next door neighbours cat came in one day two weeks ago whilst I was deeply engrossed in a session of D2 and decided to urinate on a multipoint. Didn't turn out very nicely at all.

Hope those earphones work out okay, sounds like the mod is coming along nicely - take care and go pickups!!!!

K.
Last edited by Kiwivagrant on Mon May 03, 2004 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Mon May 03, 2004 11:27 pm

....That Darn Cat :cat: :diabolic: .....

Yeap, the Headphones are working out pretty decent. Not got the punch that my speakers had, but certainly well enough to get by.

Just something I'm gonna have to get used to until I can get a better sound system.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Wed May 12, 2004 12:05 am

A milestone was reached today in the development of CryptForge.

ACT 1 is complete in full, with the exception of various cosmetic changes to be made to the maps which I said would take place after the mod is released.

Because all of you have been waiting so long to see this mod released, it is likely that I will release a beta to serve as an ACT 1 demo for you to play through.

This will, of course, have everything that I've done so far. But, only ACT 1 will be in its full splendor at the time.

I finished the ores needed to craft 8 very powerful and unique gems.

I also completed dialog from NPCs (new names for some of them) for ACT 1, re-arranged level warps accordingly, and re-arranged monsters in various zones.

I did some other things as well. But, the main thing is that the mod is fixing to see a release.

To be safe, I'll wait to announce any details of a release until the mod is uploaded in full.

Kiwivagrant
Paladin

Post by Kiwivagrant » Thu May 13, 2004 11:14 pm

Wooohooooo!!!

Waiting patienty, hmmmmm, I might just take a peek at some of these download sites to see if it is available yet.

K.
Last edited by Kiwivagrant on Thu May 13, 2004 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Fri May 14, 2004 12:01 am

The mod will be available at FilePlanet when the next version is uploaded.

I just compressed earlier to see how large it would be and it currently weighs in at 96.8MB. A major reason for that is the introduction of 2 musical scores from Hellfire.

I'm looking forward to finally having this varment released as it's been in development for a long long time. A big reason was that, when Patch 1.10 was released, the mod was overhauled and re-built from the ground up in most every location. That work has been done, for the most part.

All I lack now is finishing everything up for ACT II-V and making the appropriate cosmetic and physical changes to the acts to reflect their new locations and conditions.

But, ACT I is ready to be butchered to death. So, I'm gonna release the mod with ACT I completed to give players a chance to get a bite of what's coming and to point out balance and bug issues.

Kiwivagrant
Paladin

Post by Kiwivagrant » Fri May 14, 2004 12:49 am

Hmmmm, wondering if you could do a version without the new music if possible?

Would be great for us dial up users that are in underdeveloped areas when it comes to broadband.

Just querying, still going to download obviously. :p

K.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Fri May 14, 2004 2:05 am

That's likely possible as in the future, more music will be imported.

Right now, there are 2 tracks from Hellfire. I estimate that without the tracks, the mod would still bring in a hefty 85.6MB, which was the size of the latest release for 1.09D.

But, the new music likely won't be featured in the demo. So, that will probably make at least a 10MB difference in the compressed result.

What is more likely to happen is that I'll split file the upload. Probably 10MB increments or something similar.

This will make it easy on me and other users. I'm also on a dial-up. So, I suffer the same affliction and uploading is usually slower than downloading. So, a split-file option would be best.

Kiwivagrant
Paladin

Post by Kiwivagrant » Fri May 14, 2004 3:20 am

Heh, I can't remember when the last time I listened to music on Diablo was to be totally honest.

Thanks for your reply Z, the file splitting sounds awesome, I think I already have a splitter program somewhere to be honest.

I'm checking fileplanet every 10 minutes for it to upload. :p

K.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Fri May 14, 2004 4:13 am

I'll make an announcement in the Member Anncouncement forum and on the CryptForge site when the demo is released. :)

The uploading process will be a long process since I'm having to upload them on a dial-up connection. But, definitely split-filing it will make the process go alot easier.

Kiwivagrant
Paladin

Post by Kiwivagrant » Fri May 14, 2004 4:20 am

Oh, excellent, the site is much easier to keep a look out for.

This weekend just got a whole lot better!!

k.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Fri May 14, 2004 8:07 am

While yall wait for the release, which is very near to happening, I just uploaded 3 new screenshots of Diablo for you to see.

All of these are from ACT 1.

In CryptForge, cremation happens on site when the body dies.

Hold down your right mouse button and move it in an arc to make Barbecue

Just because I'm a bastard.

NOTE: The character in these shots is a test character, beefed up with a Hero Editor for purposes of testing the mod. The skills are beefed up to the maximum that CryptForge allows, which is over 60. Keep in mind that levels go beyond Level 99. :) But, of course, getting a character that high won't happen overnight. Measures were taken in CryptForge to further ensure that, as well.

Hope you enjoy those. Those are just a small taste of what's coming. Some of the skill icons need to be re-arranged and re-designed. That will be done probably before the first release. For the 4 heroes and Mephisto, this has already been done.

Enjoy :) .

Kiwivagrant
Paladin

Post by Kiwivagrant » Fri May 14, 2004 11:06 am

Awesome, nothing like a mod that is going to be a challenge - can't wait until it is uploaded Z.

Love the screenies - looks like we are going to need sunglasses in some of those areas.

Having ya corpse cremated on death sounds a little scary though.

I know patience is a virtue but when something this good is soooo close to coming out - do you have an approximate time it will be uploaded?

Sorry for being a pain.

K.
Last edited by Kiwivagrant on Fri May 14, 2004 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Sat May 15, 2004 1:16 am

I have no approximate time of when the mod will be uploaded.

There are still things that need to be done in order to hopefully accomplish a successful demo release.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Sun May 16, 2004 7:15 am

A few things were done in CryptForge today.

1. I added GFX for 8 new ores that the player can find and combine in numerous possible combinations to craft gems of unspeakable power.

2. CryptForge's first successful map edit was done on ACT 3. The map is not done, yet. However, I have redone the Kurast docks to reflect the new plot that CryptForge goes by.

In ACT 3, you are still in the Jungle Infested lands of Kehjistan. Only, the time, the destruction of the Worldstone has caused the Jungles to wither away into nothing more than dead trees, dirt, and disease. It has reached to such a degree that the jungles simply cannot sustain life with the exception of the area you start in, which is a shrine of passage.

The shrine is surrounded by dead trees, once lush with green, and miles of dirt and festering disease. Fires have also begun to spread as a result of the demons roaming around in the jungles, impervious to the disease and plague, setting the fires. The fires spread rapidly but, the area where the shrine is located, is protected by the heavens and, threfore, the fires cannot get near it.

To reach your destination, you must go underneath the Jungles and emerge at the gate to Belial's stronghold.

A new warp was added in the "town" area to start your journey underneath the dead and burning jungles since there is no longer an entrance north into the jungles.

I will provide preliminary screenshots as soon as I can of the new starting area for ACT III. They will be posted in a new thread.
Last edited by Zhoulomcrist on Sun May 16, 2004 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Sat May 22, 2004 3:01 am

Well, folks. I won't be able to release the mod, tonight, because I resumed my split-file uploading a bit late today. :-|

Today, at work, sucked and blew horribly :bad-words: :bad-words: and, as a result, it wore me clean out for the day. So, I took a long rest when I got back to the house and that caused a late start on finishing the upload.

But, fear not. I only have 4 more files to upload and this sucker will be ready to be downloaded by the masses.

2 more were successfully uploaded today. :)

So, it's well on its way to getting released. I must return to work, tomorrow. But, after that, I will finish uploading the remaining 4 files for a hopeful evening release.

We're almost there. I may, in fact, get a spark of enthusiasm, and try to upload at least one or two more and sleep through them, tonight.

I'll let you know what happens.
Last edited by Zhoulomcrist on Sat May 22, 2004 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiwivagrant
Paladin

Post by Kiwivagrant » Sat May 22, 2004 3:09 am

Awesome Z, thanks heaps for the updates.

Real life first dude, first and foremost. :)

K.

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Sat May 22, 2004 9:27 pm

Well, folks. Only 3 more files are left.

Starting to upload one of those three right now and continue the venture to release.

The release will definitely be tonight at this rate.

I'll keep you posted.

UberBerzerker

Post by UberBerzerker » Sun May 23, 2004 4:52 am

Awesome Dude!! :mrgreen:

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Sun May 23, 2004 6:59 am

Sorry for the late reply, folks. My cousin came down from Illinois that I've not seen in almost a year. So, I went to my Aunt's house where he was staying to visit him and that held me up.

I'm now uploading the final file. I estimate that by 2:00 AM US Central, this mod will be released.

.......... Upload of last file started....

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Sun May 23, 2004 8:03 am

In about 25 minutes, the final file will have finished uploading.

But, I'm really tired right now and need lots and lots of sleep after these last two anxiety and stress-ridden days that I've had outside of the keep and D2X modding.

I know yall have waited a long time for this mod to release and, I'm fixing to put that wait to an end :) .

When I wake up, I'll make an official announcement in the Member's Announcement forum regarding the release of CryptForge's ACT 1 Demo and instructions for proper installation of the mod.

Good night, folks. Your continued interest in the mod is greatly appreciated. I look forward to making the announcement. :)

ZZZZzzzzZZZzZZZzzzZZZZzzzZZZZzzzzZZzz

EDITED

The last file just finished downloading. The file will need some time to get itself circulated around and on FilePlanet's Public Servers so that you can download the mod.

When I make the announcement, I'll give you the links to the download.

ZZZZzzzzZZZzZZZzzzZZZZzzzZZZZzzzzZZzz
Last edited by Zhoulomcrist on Sun May 23, 2004 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

UberBerzerker

Post by UberBerzerker » Sun May 23, 2004 10:30 pm

:D
Last edited by UberBerzerker on Sun May 23, 2004 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “CryptForge”