Where is the Countess?

Information and updates for the Cryptforge mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderator: Zhoulomcrist

PC-Baal

Where is the Countess?

Post by PC-Baal » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:46 am

Hi there Z,

This mod is very well done, I just have a couple of questions and bugs for you.
This is going to be a little long. Sorry.

I have only gone through this once using Diablo. This is what I have found.

Is it meant to be so dark?
Like walking around in Blood Moor I can't see more than about 1/2 the screen, the rest is just blackness.
This happens in all outdoor areas except places like the cloister's which are at normal Diablo II brightness.
The caves seem a bit darker but after having so much darkness outside, you don't notice that much of a drop in light.
I might have to find me some items of light soon :P

Some of the skills, (e.g. Teleport) say Required level 18, yet I am level 18 and I can not put points in it.
Also, the "Boots of Flame" are required level 12 and it is not allowing me to add points to them.

I can not find the countess or Tower level 5, I got the quest from the book out in the Field, just by the Cairn Stones, but after going through the entire underground & overland routes, from what I could see during my way to Andy, I just couldn't find it.

After killing Blood Raven, or whatever that thing from Act 5 that replaced her is called, in the Quest Log, it said to return to "Kashya" not to your replacement name.

Just wondering, since Spellbooks must be around item level 1 or something close since even normal monsters can drop them rarely, what will happen in later acts when those monsters have access to more TC's and less likely to drop Spellbooks?
I am guessing you have multi-level spellbooks listed so that varying monsters in all the different acts and difficulties could drop them accordingly.

A lot of your Grand Charm graphics are a 2x1 yet they use a 3x1 space, it is REALLY annoying to think there is a free slot there and when you drop a ring in it picks up the charm.
I have run into this issue before with my own modding attempts, I just used Paint Shop Pro to centre the image (because if you stretch it, it looks terrible), then after putting the 2x1 image in the centre of a 3x1 space, it looks a little odd but means you know that it takes up that whole area.

I don't know if this is your mod or Plugy but when you have the Character Screen open, and then hold down the "Alt" key, the plus icons beside your stats change to a minus and you can take points off of stats you have invested in.
Man, that is such a great change, please keep it in the final release.
I had to use it a few times so I could block better instead of wear heavier armours.

I want to thank you for the challenge of the underground route, having those Bone Archers in there was so hard. I was having huge trouble because I was such a low level that I only had a 60% chance to hit, unlike against the fallen where I had a 95% chance.
I relearnt "Diablo I, Happy Feet" and I started having a better time at taking them out, Zig Zag about, cast some of that Zig Zag Fire and keep moving.
Once I got higher levels, that Chance to hit had increase quite a bit on them as I was around their level and had better Dexterity.

Also, I just love the Diablo I uniques in there but still quite a few Evil Forces and some of the graphics are having the same issue of your Grand Charms, they are too small for the area of backpack they take up.
I am still a little sad that you forgot the Torn Flesh of Souls in the patchstring.tbl file.
It is sitting in my Stash waiting for that to be fixed.

Even though the Rogue Merc has spaces for Boots, I can not give her any.
I have checked the level and strength required, both are meet by her.

O yea, another skill thing, Diablo's skills of fire, his Zig Zag and his Circle of fire, both have 0-1 listed in the Character Screen, yet I am sure they do a heap more damage than that because the monsters seems to get quite smashed by them yet his skill "Bloodforge" that uses the Bonespirit graphics does utterly no damage to any monster that I have shot at so far.

Also, every now and again, after firing off a level 20 Firestorm, I think that is the name of his Zig Zag one, sometimes the monsters take absolutely no damage at all.
They just sit there happily shooting arrows at me, any monsters which move as they are Melee don't have this issue as they just run into some fire which damages them if it doesn't kill them at first.

I can't want to find out what I have to do with all these ores I am stashing.

No sets as of yet that I have found, I think maybe once I did find a Isenharts but that is not really something you keep in your mind :P.

I love being actually able to find uniques even at level 2 or 3, it is such a nice change, however, you have balanced it well, I was using a quilted armour of Progression for quite some time, that addition Vitality and Dexterity were so helpful.

Thank you to all that have read this but I hope Z can answer some questions and continue the good work.
Last edited by PC-Baal on Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Throne of Khorne!
- Khorne Champions

Zhoulomcrist
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Re: Where is the Countess?

Post by Zhoulomcrist » Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:10 am

Greetings and welcome, PC-Baal. :)

Hopefully, the following will answer your questions.

1. The darkness was unintentional. This will be fixed in the next patch, which will include a dark red ambient color to the overworld instead of total darkness.

2. You aren't able to put points into some skills because I accidentally forgot to remove pre-skill requisites. This will also be fixed in the next patch.

3. The countess was removed. I got something else in mind for that particular scenario, which will be available in the next patch.

4. The "Return to Kashya" text will be fixed in the next patch.

5. I tested spellbooks in all acts and have ensured that they will be readily available, despite their rarity, in all acts in the patch. Also, magical vendors will sell them. In the next patch, more book GFX will be available as well.

6. Thanx for the report on the charms. :) I'll fix those for the patch as well.

7. It is part of the PlugY plugin that causes the minus signs to appear on your Character Sheet. This allows you to unassign stat points. For more information on this, check the PlugY, Survival Kit, thread in the Members' Announcement Forum.

8. The evil forces will be fixed in the patch as well. This was caused by an oversight on my part.

9. Indeed, some skills don't display their damage properly and at least one or two of them may not be doing the damage they need to be doing or may not be doing any at all. I'll try to fix all that as well.

Thanx for the report :) . I'll whip those bugs into shape for the next patch release so you won't have to worry about them. :mrgreen: .
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it's going to begin.

Return to “CryptForge”