Soft changes are not working.

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

TrickPlay

Soft changes are not working.

Post by TrickPlay » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:21 pm

I hope this is the right area for posting my question. Basically, i am using 1.13c with D2SE, plugy installed and MyMod plugin.

I made changes to the text files in the global/excel folders of the MyMod folder, saved the changes then boot up d2se, i choose mymod plugin with both checkboxes marked at the bottom and the modifications arent present in the game, for example i changed the scroll limit of the book of teleport to 50, and it still remains at 20. I also changed max vendor sell price to 60,000.

Could anyone share any wisdom on the subject? I Will return the favour by shaving your balls. Ty ty
Last edited by TrickPlay on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Re: Soft changes are not working.

Post by HarvestWombs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:29 pm

So you changed maxstack to 50, did you go buy a new book, or are you only looking at an existing one on your character?
Official Phrozen Keep Discord
Common Modding tools: link
My Resource Packs: link

TrickPlay

Post by TrickPlay » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:54 pm

I actually tried refilling the book on my character, but i made other changes aswell that don't work like max arrow capacity to 500, i bought two arrow quivers and they wouldn't stack past 350.

Whats going on here man?

Nostalgic_Modder
United States of America

Post by Nostalgic_Modder » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:44 am

Deleted the bin files and created new ones?

TrickPlay

Post by TrickPlay » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:50 pm

I am using the D2 file viewer downloadable from this site, i attempted to overwrite and save the bin file but it wouldn't let me for some reason, i will try again now, cheers for the advice, will update in a sec.

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by HarvestWombs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:50 pm

In order to generate new bin files, just delete the old ones, running -direct parameter tells the game to use the data folder, and -txt tells the game to generate new bin files in the excel folder.

TrickPlay

Post by TrickPlay » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:00 pm

Black_Eternity" wrote:In order to generate new bin files, just delete the old ones, running -direct parameter tells the game to use the data folder, and -txt tells the game to generate new bin files in the excel folder.
Hey man thanks for that solution, i really thought this was the fix i needed but i tested it by deleting misc.bin and letting the game recreate the new bin file (which it did successfully) however upon testing, i went to akara, bought a new teleport book and it only stacked upto 20, whereas i changed it to 50.

Would it work if i tried it on a entirely new character? Really bummed out this didn't work.

SpiKe.
Forum Tech Support
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by SpiKe. » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:19 pm

If the Item can be bought from Vendor, it makes no difference if you create a new char or keep your old one.
May look if the data folder is write protected (or the Diablo 2 folder), because then you can make changes to the file but Diablo won't generate the right bin files (it generates the standard bin files instead).

Else try to recreate all bin files by deleting them all and then joining a game with -direct -txt.

TrickPlay

Post by TrickPlay » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:19 am

J'P" wrote:If the Item can be bought from Vendor, it makes no difference if you create a new char or keep your old one.
May look if the data folder is write protected (or the Diablo 2 folder), because then you can make changes to the file but Diablo won't generate the right bin files (it generates the standard bin files instead).

Else try to recreate all bin files by deleting them all and then joining a game with -direct -txt.
Hmm, i think you might be right, i did some testing by opening up the text files with notepad and trying to save them with the .bin extension but i kept getting some error pop-up asking me to save to another folder. However it does allow me to save changes that i make to the .txt files

I've deleted like 6 bin files and diablo 2 has recreated them successfully.

Still not sure what to do. Appreciate your input though.

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by HarvestWombs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:27 pm

You can't just take a txt and name it bin. The game takes whatever information it needs from the text files and outputs it into a useable data (.bin)
But like we have previously said, you should delete ALL .bin files. Not just the ones you made changes to.

TrickPlay

Post by TrickPlay » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:40 am

Black_Eternity" wrote:You can't just take a txt and name it bin. The game takes whatever information it needs from the text files and outputs it into a useable data (.bin)
But like we have previously said, you should delete ALL .bin files. Not just the ones you made changes to.
Ok so I tried deleting all the bin files in the excel folder and still have the same result, mods aren't working. I'm exhausted for ideas at this point. May have to give it up.

weapon-x
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
Philippines

Post by weapon-x » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:28 am

howdy,

1. Are you using d2excel or just notepad?

2. Have you tried launching your mod without using d2se? if yes, have you checked the starting directory? you should change the starting directory too, if i recall right.

Good Luck !
" It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "

~Mark Twain

TrickPlay

Post by TrickPlay » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:48 am

weapon-x" wrote:howdy,

1. Are you using d2excel or just notepad?

2. Have you tried launching your mod without using d2se? if yes, have you checked the starting directory? you should change the starting directory too, if i recall right.

Good Luck !
Hey all changes I've made I've made with d2excel. I was just thinking about that actually, try to get the mod to work without starting via d2se. I used to mod back in the day and i remember opening archives with mpqviewer, i tried that and for some reason nothing opens when i try open the d2_patch. Do you need to repack the bin files into mpq? I can't remember if that was necessary. The files provided by the MyMod plugin might be another version such as 1.07 which is another reason why they might not work. But then why would the game recreate bin files after i boot up?

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by HarvestWombs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:25 pm

You only need to repack an mpq if you're not going to use the -direct parameter, as if you were releasing a mod.

What base version is your MyMod plugin using? You can check this in the D2SE_Setup.ini.
I've never used anything lower than 1.10f, so I can't honestly say if that's much of an issue (If you are using lower than that)

If I recall correctly, starting the mod without D2SE only required the Data folder to be in the root directory of D2, and using a shortcut with the -direct -txt parameters.

TrickPlay

Post by TrickPlay » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Black_Eternity" wrote:You only need to repack an mpq if you're not going to use the -direct parameter, as if you were releasing a mod.

What base version is your MyMod plugin using? You can check this in the D2SE_Setup.ini.
I've never used anything lower than 1.10f, so I can't honestly say if that's much of an issue (If you are using lower than that)

If I recall correctly, starting the mod without D2SE only required the Data folder to be in the root directory of D2, and using a shortcut with the -direct -txt parameters.
I've deleted all cores except 1.13c, and i remember changing the D2SE_setup to 1.13c however i need to double-check that. So if i boot via the LOD application with the -txt -direct changes will it still work with pluGy? Or should i boot from the PluGy app and change the target to -txt -direct?

I'm not much of a problem solver but if i was helping somebody else out like this my head would explode lol I'm not a patient guy, thankfully you guys are.

Edit: yes core is 1.13c
Last edited by TrickPlay on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrickPlay

Post by TrickPlay » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:54 pm

Me and black_eternity have been troubleshooting over Pm, all the files beneath the folders are responsive when i make changes. However it seems any changes i make in the data folder do not change in the game.

Edit: FAAAARRRRRRKKKKKKK FRUSTRATION is REAL

Edit2: photo

Edit3: FAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRKKKKKK

Edit4: i think their might be some clashes with versions or .ini files are not set up properly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by HarvestWombs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:17 pm

You need to figure out how to uncheck that read only status, like I said in PM check your security tab.

TrickPlay

Post by TrickPlay » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Black_Eternity" wrote:You need to figure out how to uncheck that read only status, like I said in PM check your security tab.
Will do guv'nor, security tab is fully enabled in everything, got to investigate further.

SpiKe.
Forum Tech Support
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by SpiKe. » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:48 pm

TrickPlay" wrote:
Black_Eternity" wrote:You need to figure out how to uncheck that read only status, like I said in PM check your security tab.
Will do guv'nor, security tab is fully enabled in everything, got to investigate further.
As far as i know this is a registry problem or a antivirus problem. Try to turn off your antivirus (or windows defender) and clean your registry (with ccleaner for example).

Return to “General Mod Making”