Soft Red Portals & Act 5 Tilesets

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

EzRemake

Soft Red Portals & Act 5 Tilesets

Post by EzRemake » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:02 pm

I've started using the soft coded red portal method using missiles.txt, as a death-skill in monprop on certain bosses. This has allowed me to prevent the portals from opening in acts they don't belong in, but I'm noticing a lot of inconsistent behavior between tilesets/acts.

For instance, if I add a new enemy to Nihlathaks temple, which triggers the missile on death, the portal works fine. However, on any other act 5 map, even a direct copy of Nihlathak's temple (same lvltype and dt1masks), the portal will cause a crash when used.

This doesn't seem to be an issue in act 1, as I can string a ton of maps together using this method, across the various act 1 tilesets, with no issues.

Anyone know what's going on here?

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Re: Soft Red Portals & Act 5 Tilesets

Post by devurandom » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:40 am

If the portal is pointing to a new level, it might be caused by a lack of Map Entry special tile in your new level. Another reason might be a non-existing entry file the .dc6 displayed when you enter a certain level - "Entering the...."
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

EzRemake

Post by EzRemake » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Strangely enough, the portal and level both work if I portal to them from outside of Nihlathaks Temple, but not from any other act 5 map. At first I thought it was lack of entry tile as well, but my maps in act one don't have entry tiles and they work just fine. It almost feels like there's something hard coded going on here, perhaps a table being checked for red portals in act 5 areas?

Act 5 seems very wierd overall. I've made about ~40 maps from other acts, but I've only been able to successfully make one new act 5 map - again, connected to the front of Nihlathaks temple. Very strange.

I wonder... Would it be possible to palette convert all the act 5 dt1s to the act 1 palette, and then just use pseudo act 5 areas in act 1?

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 pm

I haven't used missile spawned portals. Its cool but, only works in 1.10 versions IIRC.
Every other portal type used in the game, red portals, cross act portals, and town portals all connect through special tiles.
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

EzRemake

Post by EzRemake » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:48 pm

It's working in 1.13c, but only in act 1 it seems. Haven't been able to get it working in any other act really. It seems to have more to do with the location the portal forms in, rather than where the portal leads. Either way, I'll continue to mess about with it and see if I can somehow get it working with the the other acts.

Return to “General Mod Making”