Can Someone Explain...?

Information and updates for the d2:elements mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: Char

twinfire

Can Someone Explain...?

Post by twinfire » Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:39 pm

Hi Char!

The mod is worthy of praise; keep 'em coming.

I am playing your beta 2.03 version, and I have found some new words on items, but I don't know what they mean.

Example:

My sorceress found a staff that says "5% to poison skill damage [modified by caster weapon level]"

The weapon is a Beast Song Short Staff

My sorceress doesn't have a poison skill, does she?

My amazon will have a poison javellin skill, but can't use a javellin and a staff at the same time, can she?

My necromancer will have a poison dagger skill, but a dagger isn't a staff, is it?

So is that particular weapon mod useless to my character?

Also, the weapon level doesn't change... for the same weapon..., does it?

I also am not clear what the new words on gems mean. They seem to mean that, say, only a fire element "caster" weapon will benefit from the ruby gem weapon mods i.e. a phys/dam weapon will be unaffected ... bows, short swords, and, say, daggers are not "caster" weapons, are they?

I put two chipped saphires into a socketed phys/dam mace, but that doesn't seem to have changed anything. Bad idea?

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions.

[Edit: s/b v1.03, not v2.03]

TF
Last edited by twinfire on Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is grand in a big way because it is universal.

Char
Retired staff
Principality

Post by Char » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:33 pm

no problem :)

first of all, "Caster Weapon" are all weapons that have a "Caster Weapon Level", which means Staves (well some of them, some are physical damage oriented), scepters, wands and orbs. wands and orbs are class-specific. orbs can spawn with +fire, +lightning, +cold damage, while wands spawn with +magic and +poison damage. staves and scepters can spawn with all elemental bonuses.
your staff with +poison damage will help poison-oriented necromancers (like those using poison explosion or poison nova). it will not help your sorceress, thats true.

about the gems: the gems will have effect in all the "caster weapons", i.e. in those who have a caster weapon level.

the formula is, btw: [value]*[casterweaponlevel]/100
so the caster weapon level is a percentage value.
if your caster weapon level is 67 and you use gems with +9% enhanced fire skill damage, your fire skill damage will raise by (67*9/100% = 602/100%) = 6% effectively. 2hand caster weapons have higher levels than onehand ones, and exceptional and elite ones have higher levels than normal ones.

the second use of gems is in elemental weapons. just like OHM runes and skulls in physical weapons, rubies, saphires and so on enhance the elemental damage of elemental weapons of the correct type.

hope that was clear now ;)

Return to “d2:elements”