[Request] Mac clean 1.10 executable

This forum is dedicated to platform-specific issues, discussions and tools relating to D2 modding for the Mac.

Moderator: Contrail

tsuru
Retired staff
Principality

[Request] Mac clean 1.10 executable

Post by tsuru » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:01 am

I don't know what files Mac version D2 consists of. But I imagine there is a large executable in Mac version, which contains all the functions of game.exe and the dll's of Windows version.

Eastern Sun mod contains some dll edits, so currently those changes don't work on Mac. But most of the changes are not a code edit, but a change of a constat. For example, changing the string "rin" to "jew".

So I imagine some changes can be ported to Mac version if I have the 1.10 Mac executable, by search and replace, and trial and error.

But only Windows version clean files are hosted in Phrozenkeep file center, and Mac 1.10 patch is only available in a Mac executable (updator), which Windows users can't extract.

I hope some Mac user zip the Mac 1.10 executable and send it to one of Phrozen Keep staffs, so that they can host it in "Patches - Clean Install Files" section.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Re: [Request] Mac clean 1.10 executable

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:50 am

We would not be able to do that for the same reason we don't host game.exe in our File Center. The best way is to install the game on a Mac, patch it, and do your edits there. Or know somebody who has it already or can install it.

You are right, that constants should be relatively easy to search for within the code. In Intel D2, you have a full dword that contains the three letter code and a trailing space stored as a backwards (little-endian) ASCII constant, so "rin" would be represented as 206E6972. The only place you would find three letter codes in forward (big-endian) form would be the data sections. In a Mac, that data will be in big-endian format, so you would search for 72696E (or 72696E20 if the Mac version uses the padded form).
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

tsuru
Retired staff
Principality

Post by tsuru » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:49 am

[quote=Myhrginoc";p="278216"]We would not be able to do that for the same reason we don't host game.exe in our File Center.[/quote]
I hadn't noticed the clean file archives don't contain game.exe. Sorry for the ignorance. I had believed you can host the clean files because they don't contain D2Data.mpq. :)
Last edited by tsuru on Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:38 am

Nothing to be sorry for, we don't advertise it one way or the other. But we exclude game.exe because it would make an independent executable (with the mpq's of course). And we exclude the other big mpqs for size more than anything else. Clean large mpqs are always available on the CDs anyway, they don't require setup like the dlls do.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

Return to “Mac Modding”