Mouseover question about new area replacing the Pit

Post here for all aspects of map making and level design. Click here to visit the Keep's official map site, Diabolic Cartography.

Moderator: Paul Siramy

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Re: Mouseover question about new area replacing the Pit

Post by devurandom » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:09 am

There's 2 different tristram maps in mpq's. Seems like the ds1's will cause a crash if you swap one for the other, if I remember right.
Assembly Reference | 1.13d Code Edits | UVLoD | BaseMod Plugin

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

Shyster

Post by Shyster » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:10 am

I may be misunderstanding then - should I place my new ds1 in the mpq? I haven't swapped any of the current ones for something else if that's what you mean so I don't think that's it.

Edit: tried it for the sake of experimenting, still crash w. no error.

Could it be something I am missing in the map itself? I'd take a screenshot to show my map atm, but as you might imagine it would come out looking rather lovely. Also, I could post my files somewhere if it'd be more helpful.

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:19 pm

the DS1 extracted from d2data is used in regular tristram and the one in d2expansion is meant for lvl 136. If I remember right it crashes, if you extract wrong and use it loading your preset in lvlprest.txt

Fiat paper money is the most elaborate and well devised form of slavery the world has ever seen..

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Post by Trevor » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:35 pm

If you post your levels.txt, lvlpreset.txt, ds1, I can look at it on Saturday night.
AfterMath Overview: http://www.aftermathcentral.com

Following the path of least resistance is what makes rivers and men crooked.
- Author Unknown

Mod Completion: Always under Construction
D2SE Compatible Only

Playing AfterMath v3.0.1 ~ 1020 MB
Released March 31, 2017

Shyster

Post by Shyster » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:18 pm

devurandom" wrote:the DS1 extracted from d2data is used in regular tristram and the one in d2expansion is meant for lvl 136. If I remember right it crashes, if you extract wrong and use it loading your preset in lvlprest.txt
Oh wow, I had no idea that was the case. I guess it's a good thing I waited to make any modifications to the map then so it'll be easy to start again. I will try the expansion version here in a little bit.
Trevor" wrote:If you post your levels.txt, lvlpreset.txt, ds1, I can look at it on Saturday night.
In that case I'd much appreciate it, if I don't have it working soon I will get around to doing that pretty quick.

Also I'd just like to extend my thanks to both of you guys for helping me with all this so far. From one modder to another <3

-------

EDIT: I have an update, after using the expansion version of trist, I had to modify the size to 43x46. I know pandemonium trist is 43x48 but apparently this one's 2 less. 50x50 and 43x48 both crash several screens away from the cavedown entrance.

Now at 43x46, I crash with a different error, much closer to the warp at maybe half a screen away (had to check to make sure it wasn't me mousing over that crashed it)

Halt
Expression : Unrecoverable internal error 6fdb66e6

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:16 am

couple different problems related to that error:

----------------------------------------------
Halt
Expression : Unrecoverable internal error 6fdb66e6

Edit: Problem solved. Warp was too close to unwalkable tiles.
-----------------------------------------------------

and also see this one:

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=59553

hange the vis tiles 'hidden' flag. that should be able to solve it

Shyster

Post by Shyster » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Just for reference, do we know how close is too close? Is 2-3 tiles acceptable? Also, I had a 1 in the hidden column on the W1 row, so I tried setting it back to 0. Currently none of these changes have had any effect yet.

It is worth nothing that post was mentioning what happens when he *enters* his new level, I get within a few tiles of it and it crashes with that error. That hadn't happened until I switched to the EXP Trist so this is a new one.

EDIT: Here are my files. If you need one of the other ones let me know.

Levels: http://filebin.ca/2K3zmIwLUPns
LevelsPreset: http://filebin.ca/2K40EP7IgzjE
Ds1: http://filebin.ca/2K40SlYwb48X

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Post by Trevor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:32 am

Your map works just fine. I have no errors. Mouseover is good on the way there. You do have a mouse over issue on the return. I suspect this is your issue. I opened up your map, you dont have any objects near the vis 4 tile. Perhaps clone a new lvlwarp. I used the game's original one: 8.
Please note that your location for the map was act1/outdoors. I changed this in lvlpreset to act1/tristram.

http://aftermath.d2se.org/Pictures/MirrorForest.jpg

- Author Unknown

D2SE Compatible Only

Released March 31, 2017

Shyster

Post by Shyster » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:29 am

Alright, so I've gotten to the point where mouseover is possible again, so no more proximity crashes that's good. Currently after making a custom warp I am still crashing w. no error upon entry, like before. Still messing with it but I'm not sure why it'd be crashing me and not you after adjusting the map location and the lvl warp as you had done. I made a custom cave down since it's in the pit level 1.

If it has to do with no objects near the vis4, is there something particular I should place? I wasn't sure at the time so I didn't add anything. My attempts to do so have not changed the fact that I crash after clicking

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Post by Trevor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:15 pm

I played some more with your map. Just change the lvlwarp from 8 to another number. I used 23 and it works perfectly. No issues here whatsoever anymore. There is nothing wrong with Vis4.

- Author Unknown

D2SE Compatible Only

Released March 31, 2017

Shyster

Post by Shyster » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:28 pm

I tried that, I still crash. Should my pit level 1's warp4 still be set to 5 like the other caves, and then my level is set to 23? No matter what numbers I tried in any place/combination, nothing changes.

Is there something other than Necrolis' D2Client and D2Common.dll that I need? I can't understand why this happens no matter what and it work fine on yours :\

Perhaps I can try your files and see if it still happens then?

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Post by Trevor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:20 pm

I dont know what Necrolis files do. By the look of the Pandemonium maps in your levels.txt, you are not modding 1.10 like I am.

Have you changes your offsetx and offsety? I had a mapping error about 2 months ago and the only issue I had was the offsets even though the d2textanaylzer said my offsets were fine.

When I added your map, I used 3050, 4000. My map id was 255. (My mod is pretty much full interms of maps)

- Author Unknown

D2SE Compatible Only

Released March 31, 2017

Shyster

Post by Shyster » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:43 pm

Yes I'm on 1.13c. I tried those numbers just now. While I originally had them at 500/1000 for some reason, I also set them to 5000/1000 for a while like pand trist and regular trist. Nothing I have ever placed in these columns has affected whether it crashes or not.

It sounds to me like this is a version problem and unless someone visits the forum who knows exactly what could be causing this I'm screwed...this is depressing I've tried to follow every detail to the letter.

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Post by Trevor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:22 pm

Have you tried removing the special tiles (the ones in yellow boxes) from your ds1?
Also, set portal = 1 in levels.txt, not 0

- Author Unknown

D2SE Compatible Only

Released March 31, 2017

devurandom
Forum Regular
Angel
United States of America

Post by devurandom » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:14 am

Trevor" wrote:I dont know what Necrolis files do. By the look of the Pandemonium maps in your levels.txt, you are not modding 1.10 like I am.
I think he's referring to Necrolis extended levels fix for 1.13c. and yes that is the only thing needed.

Shyster

Post by Shyster » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:27 am

Did both of those things, still crash :\ what on earth could be left?
I checked with txtanalyzer and it found nothing, though at this point I just expect this

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Post by Trevor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:55 am

Lvlpreset.txt
The only difference between your lvlpreset and mine are below. None of which should cause problems.
  • Def = 1216
    ID = 255
    File1 = Act1/Tristram/mirrorforest.ds1 (though I would change your folder to the Tristram folder rather than outdooors if you want to use the Tristram lvltype but that's just me)
Levels.txt
Again none of this should make any difference but check it out anyway.
  • my ID = 255 (your id 137)
    my Layer = 222 (your layer 100)
    XOffset is not 500 like your file.
    Vis4 = the map I want to return to (so for me its my Tristram map ID 38) On my Trsitram map ID, I have Vis2 linking back to 255 and vis2 on actual tristram.ds1
    My Warp for the mirror forest is 23
    My portal on the mirrorforest lvl is 1, not 0 but you already tested this.
    My warpdistance is a tenth of yours. Not sure how much that matters.
    You have two A1L41's in your EntryFile. I did tell you this earlier but make sure a copy of that file goes into the expansion folder - not just the act1 folder. All maps that you add must have the entry file in the expansion folder. (data\local\ui\eng\expansion)
Like I said, everything works here and if you have everything set as I have it, then it has to be something with how you installed Necrolis's plugin. Have you done this properly? How do you know if this plugin in active? I have no idea what you need to do to make sure this plugin is active. I mod 1.10 because I never played the original game beyond 1.10. Anyhow, I'm going to have to let someone who uses this plugin help you. Good luck.

- Author Unknown

D2SE Compatible Only

Released March 31, 2017

Shyster

Post by Shyster » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:06 pm

I got rid of that duplicate A1L41, that was when I was testing entry files in the old pit level 2, must've forgotten to switch it back.
I also added the entry files to my mod folder instead of the MPQ itself (can't remember why I had done it that way at the time) and added them to the expansion folder as well.

Holy hell, I actually got in! Thanks for having so much patience and helping me get this far.

Now I just need to figure out what I should do about getting a tile that doesn't transform the ground into black / distorted dirt tiles. Trist doesn't have any warp-looking tiles so is there an easy way to pull from act 1 wilderness and grab that "den of evil entrance" looking cave?

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Post by Trevor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:43 pm

Change your lvlwarp in levels.txt for the mirror map. This will remove the transformation.
Congrats on getting in! Your first map is always the toughest.

- Author Unknown

D2SE Compatible Only

Released March 31, 2017

Shyster

Post by Shyster » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:25 pm

Hmm...some of them crash, some of them disfigure the floor tiles in different fashions. I've read a lot about people having a "trap door" graphic from the jail or whatever, which then lights up after you mouse over. I've not seen anything on how to get the actual trap door itself, for instance, to appear. Or whatever object you choose as a door. If the level doesn't have any doors (which this one does not) how do I add one?

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Post by Trevor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:34 pm

Find an object that you like and add it to the map editor so you place the object on a map. I often use the Arcane Portals, trap door, mephisto's portal, or the orange portal in act 5 if I want a graphic. Extra objects are very hard to add, at least for 1.10 so if you want a different object, you have to find one you want to swap out. That's how I got an orange portal.

- Author Unknown

D2SE Compatible Only

Released March 31, 2017

Shyster

Post by Shyster » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:00 am

Trevor" wrote:Find an object that you like and add it to the map editor so you place the object on a map.
I feel like an idiot, but I don't understand how to add it to the list I can place. The editor comes with so much junk to read, I haven't gone through every single piece of documentation because if I had, I wouldn't be where I'm at. I'm assuming you mean there is a way to get a larger list than just a single act's worth of type 2 objects.

I'd like to use this as the object - you come out of pit level 1 (Mirror Trail in my mod) and end up in mirror forest. this is what I want the "back to the mirror trail" object to look like, another one of these:

If I can get this working I'm set, I finished all the treasure classes and zone editing today.

Trevor
Forum Legend
Principality
Canada

Hand-picked

Post by Trevor » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:22 pm

Find the dt1 that the entrance graphics belong to. Probably something in act1/caves.
Add that particular dt1 to the lvltype for tristram.
Recalculate the dtmas in lvlpreset for your mirrorforest map.
Once that is done, you can add walls from the caves dt1 file to your tristram map.

- Author Unknown

D2SE Compatible Only

Released March 31, 2017

Shyster

Post by Shyster » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:35 pm

Thanks for all your help. No way I would have figured out each little nuance without your help, and the actual map making itself was definitely worth the effort.

(Jeez...everything I did before seems like a complete joke after doing this. I guess that's what you call leveling up)

Return to “Map Editing”