About Hirelings

Information and updates for the Blackened mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderators: Necrolis, Adhin

What to do with Hirelings (mercs)?

Remove em, there a {filtered} to keep around anyways.
28%
Just remove the inventory, I want lots of Hirelings!
61%
Wha? huh? whe...where am I?
11%

Total votes: 18

Adhin
Retired staff
Angel

About Hirelings

Post by Adhin » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:55 am

So I have a problem with the damn mercs. Bugs and all kinds of other crap keep popping up with them (like gamr crashing if they get hit). I've come up with about 2 solutions, I can remove them - which lemmy say would definitly take care of the problem. Or I can remove there inventory.

Now another issue I have is, i can't 'add' new mercs in. By that i mean theres 5 hardcoded lines for mercs, all of which have to use a specific weapon which i don't get to choose. Theres some dll changes out there that let you set a 2nd or 3rd weapon option but in the end, the rogue merc always will be equipping a bow. On top of this, if i attempte to use another monster entry inted of the 5 provided items wont equip. You can try to equip items but they just vanish.

So there you go, i can remove mercs or remove there inventory as poll says above. If i just remove the inventory I can make far more then just 5 mercs, i could make 5 diffirent ones per act if i felt like it. There just wouldn't be any item customization for them.
Blackened Mod: http://blackened.d2mods.com

"Evokation. Thats some kind of food, right?" - KaiKou

Def Con: kills owls dead

LiQuiD

Post by LiQuiD » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:36 pm

Its too lonely playing Singleplayer without mercs :)
My Vote -> Just remove the inventory
btw can i still give em potions?
Last edited by LiQuiD on Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wikipedia Quote
The Bulgarian Army is the only force in the world which never lost a single flag,although it actively participated in all major wars in Europe since the end of the nineteenth century.

CTF OWNED!!! xD

Drifter121

Re: About Hirelings

Post by Drifter121 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:14 pm

Oh how I agree Liquid

AdiTT
Senior Moderator
Angel
Bulgaria

Post by AdiTT » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:35 pm

I voted for removal, though I am too used to A3 mercs. ;) But with the current skill system, items etc. they get way too powerful. So I think removing them will be better. I don't think its good my A1 rouge to kill more monster than me, while I am trying to get to them as fast as possible, losing my stamina and when I get at their corner they're all dead for she killed them with 1 hit.
Terms Of Service - Written for a reason.
D2 MOD player wrote:Sure you can exploit the game. But are you sure the game isn't exploiting you?

Adhin
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Adhin » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:09 pm

Well AdiTT - like ive said Mercs, atm, are to powerful and broken and arnt ment to be used till i resolve it. I was more asking about the basic idea of them, do people like spending money on wh ats basically a summon you can Heal with potions (which should answer your question liquid - yes).

Player skill system has nothing to do with mercs. and with out items theres no way that would effect there performance. I mean thre all basically set up for befor i made the stat change, so everythings out of wack on them atm.

One thing id be able to do with out items is set up there progression so its a bit more in line with how it should be, and being more balanced =P

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:58 am

i vote keep them in just rebalance them, or ever remove the temporarely till say B5...
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

Adhin
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Adhin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:54 am

Yeah maybe a good idea to just remove them for B4 and re-introduce them later in the release. What do people think of that? Sure would clear my mind for this release get things done bit faster.

dman551

Post by dman551 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:27 am

i say just remove the inventory, i rarely use mercs anyway becouse i find it a pain to have to deal with their inventory.

IndianaMaggot
Paladin

Post by IndianaMaggot » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:15 am

[quote=Adhin";p="316181"]Yeah maybe a good idea to just remove them for B4 and re-introduce them later in the release. What do people think of that? Sure would clear my mind for this release get things done bit faster.[/quote]

This sounds very good to me!
"Do You Serve a Purpose, or Purposely Serve?"
Working on Secret Project!
I am always willing to beta test for anyone just PM me.

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:05 pm

Eliminate a CLoD feature and you will doom yourself. Few people will accept the removal of something as 'useful' (overpowered) as mercs in classic LoD.

You'll bring down a torrent of 'y did u remove mercs did u now how imposibal it is 4 a sroc 2 not get pwned w/o merc!!!!! lolol idiot' on your head.

Of course, if the mod is not intended for the hoi polloi but only for people with something resembling a functional brain, eradicate them. Despite what a million lemmings will tell you, the CLoD sorc was more interesting in CD2 when mercs were just cannon fodder.
Last edited by Brother Laz on Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

LiQuiD

Post by LiQuiD » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:12 pm

In next release can you stop mercs running around like crazy,its anoying
Wikipedia Quote
The Bulgarian Army is the only force in the world which never lost a single flag,although it actively participated in all major wars in Europe since the end of the nineteenth century.

CTF OWNED!!! xD

AdiTT
Senior Moderator
Angel
Bulgaria

Post by AdiTT » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:44 pm

[quote=Adhin";p="316048"]
Well AdiTT - like ive said Mercs, atm, are to powerful and broken and arnt ment to be used till i resolve it.[/quote]
Like killing them is that easy ;) j/k

Player skill system has nothing to do with mercs. and with out items theres no way that would effect there performance. I mean thre all basically set up for befor i made the stat change, so everythings out of wack on them atm.[/quote]

I meant that while the character is developed by the new rules you have created the mercs are still going on a classic lvl "growing" and they are just unequal. As you have said - more bugged than unbalanced. So just need some cleaning I suppose. And ...

One thing id be able to do with out items is set up there progression so its a bit more in line with how it should be, and being more balanced =P
[/quote]

... can I vote again, this time for "Remove the inventory"? :mrgreen:
Removing them now in B4 and re-introducing them in B5 seems the best idea as you will be able to balance them and clear the ideas you are commenting now - the inventory, the balance ...

@Brother Laz: :lol: nice comment. I think in Blackened Adhin has changed already enough things to get the mod in another category where something like removing the merc will be more applauded than ... hmm ... cursed. ;)

EDIT: Are you sure removing the mercs won't cause more bugs? After all they are quest related partialy.
Last edited by AdiTT on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Terms Of Service - Written for a reason.
D2 MOD player wrote:Sure you can exploit the game. But are you sure the game isn't exploiting you?

BrotherDog
Paladin

Post by BrotherDog » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:10 am

[quote=Adhin";p="316181"]Yeah maybe a good idea to just remove them for B4 and re-introduce them later in the release. What do people think of that? Sure would clear my mind for this release get things done bit faster.[/quote]

I like that idea. I'd also like to suggest using them (if you put in new anims/hirelings at least) by use of the Leadership feat. Make it more d20. ;;D

Adhin
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Adhin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:01 am

ah can't really do the Leadership feat. Thats a '1st lvl only' style thing (which really wouldn't matter i guess ultimately). Would require the racial charm act like a friendly aura which would mean id only have 5 things stats instead of the 11 im using now? no can do!

hmmm, now what i 'could' do, maybe, anyways is set it up via its own charm, all using the same base type (like racial charms do) so you can only have 1 in your possession at a time. Make it an item you buy, or do a set of items like that for Artifacts, so you either have something else or these domain like artifacts...either way I like the idea of the leadership feat helping others but doing {filtered} for you heh.

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Post by Desocupado » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:12 am

If you can remove them, tell Onyx how to do that as well, he always wanted to do that on back to hellfire.
However, having lots of different hirelings also seems interesting...
And removing their inventories let you make more interesting unique items (no aura runeword mercs around this time).

As a source of inspiration i would recommend AD&D 2 second edition class kits.
Last edited by Desocupado on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:57 am

Removing mercs is easy, its just knowing how ;) as for mercs in the future, i have some code tricks up my sleeve, but thats just for me and Adhin to know atm :P
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

Return to “Blackened”