Suggest A Tutorial

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

100%

Total votes: 1

michael12311
Paladin

Re: Suggest A Tutorial

Post by michael12311 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:29 am

How bout 1 that teaches you how to create a new stat/property? TY

AngleWyrm

Post by AngleWyrm » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:44 pm

Suggestion for a tutorial:

Combat Mechanics
How exactly does the game go about rolling to-hit and damage?
What effect does player/monster stats and gear have?
What does +poison skill do? What effect do resists, elemental damages, and absorbsions have?

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:37 pm

Firstly that wouldn't be tutorial material, its (hard coded) game mechanics, and secondly all that info is already on the summit and this site, plus any bugs that do exist in it are in our bugs listing
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

AngleWyrm

Post by AngleWyrm » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:47 pm

I see. So, wise and benevolent benefactor, what do you --- Hey wait a cotton-pickin minute!

You clearly got it wrong by saying hard-coded material cannot be the subject of a tutorial. Maybe you meant cannot be subject to modification. No, that can't be it, 'cause the tables contain AC, TH, and so on. Maybe you meant beef jerky tastes better in Spain. Who knows, really?

Next up, benevolent benefactor: Nope, just some jack*ss trying to rule the world, acting all-knowing, and yet cannot provide a link to a page in his own site.

Ok, now that we've met, pal, maybe you could either point me to this vaguely recalled memory of yours, or better yet, drum up the shutspah to actually cover the material.

Well I feel better, how about you?

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:37 pm

AngleWyrm" wrote:I see. So, wise and benevolent benefactor, what do you --- Hey wait a cotton-pickin minute!

You clearly got it wrong by saying hard-coded material cannot be the subject of a tutorial. Maybe you meant cannot be subject to modification. No, that can't be it, 'cause the tables contain AC, TH, and so on. Maybe you meant beef jerky tastes better in Spain. Who knows, really?
firstly, I suggest you read the file guides, especially the monstats.txt one, maybe you'll learn something, secondly the formulae are hardcoded, there is nothing that can be changed except your inputs(which is partially what the monstats columns refer to, and the file guide covers that), at best that info might go into a reference, which already exists, on the summit, or here for instance. anything on this matter, other than pure formulae, is going to be an opinion of balance, which you'll find tons of in mod concepts, or if you really wanted a tutorial on changing the formulas, you'd need to be a very good asm editor, in which case you wouldn't need the tutorial(as ALL the info is in Code Editing, one only needs to use search)
AngleWyrm" wrote: Next up, benevolent benefactor: Nope, just some jack*ss trying to rule the world, acting all-knowing, and yet cannot provide a link to a page in his own site.

Ok, now that we've met, pal, maybe you could either point me to this vaguely recalled memory of yours, or better yet, drum up the shutspah to actually cover the material.

Well I feel better, how about you?
don't be rude, obnoxious & condescending, especially when you are the one who is too LAZY to use google and/or forum search, hell, using google, first link that came up covers ALL your questions, forum search yeilds some good results as well, for instance, this, the only one where a link might have been needed from my side, was the bugs listing. and if searching was too taxing for you, reading some of the sticky's would have still gotten you some answers, like this. but before you go and do anything more on this forum, I suggest you READ this & this
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Post by mirecek » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:06 am

pwned :twisted:
"Each of those few chords separated by complete silence feels like a knife wound to the heart"

There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery. Draconian

Jawn67
Paladin

Post by Jawn67 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:46 am

if someone would be so kind to make a tutorial on how to add new backgrounds to a skill tree im sure many people would benefit from it. i have looked around the site but i cant find like any information on the subject and it is something i really want to edit.

if you could do this it would be much appreciated by me and many other modders i am sure.

Notunknown

Post by Notunknown » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:18 pm

a tutorial for "How to add Waypoints" for 1.10

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Notunknown" wrote:a tutorial for "How to add Waypoints" for 1.10
there is already this, and other than that its just adding an object to the map, for which there are a few tutorials. the plugin comes with a read me, so seriously, use the search function

krakenn
United States of America

Post by krakenn » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:15 am

Wondering how to make ammunition (arrows/bolts) to be unique and give stats.
I made a new type of ammo that works with crossbows (based it off the normal default bolts), but idk how to make it have any properties on it. (or to be unique for that matter.)
heh, this is my first post on this site. yay for me

EDIT: nvm i figured it out. Found in ItemTypes.txt that there is an item type "Magic Bow/Xbow Quiver" listed. Worked perfectly.

Moja
Paladin

Post by Moja » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:05 am

I'd like clarification on the "Creating Monsters into Missiles (by cla$$ics)" tutorial (under skill tutorials for 1.10+)

In his tutorial, he uses a monster with 1 main body part (bone fetish, TR). He mentions you can use corrupt rogues as missiles, but rogues have multiple bodyparts. So how do you go about using multiple-body-part monsters for missiles? (I'm assuming using torso only would leave off the head, arms, legs, etc., and look weird). It seems like it would involve creating a new .dcc

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:16 am

you need to use pauls merge_dcc tool to compress all the parts into 1 anim

Moja
Paladin

Post by Moja » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:17 am

The links to the Alleg40.dll file (which it says you need in the readme) are broken.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:00 pm

you'll find the file here:
http://www.fileplanet.com/hosteddl.aspx ... lleg40.zip
(for reference its under filecenter->mod making->required files)

Moja
Paladin

Post by Moja » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:05 pm

Many thanks!

cotss2012

Post by cotss2012 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:59 am

The "Making a character start with a unique item" tutorial by Nefarius is interesting, but as far as I can tell, it just turns your beginning javelins a gold color. He should expand it to include stuff like making a Paladin start out with Rixot's Keen and Pelta Lunata, or making a Barb start out with the full Berserker's set.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:45 am

there is code actively preventing that, which iirc the tutorial states, there only way to give uniques to new chars with code editing is to give misc items that transmog into unique only items, or that are cubbed into uniques

cotss2012

Re:

Post by cotss2012 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:47 am

kenneth247" wrote:How about a TUT on making a CLASS HIRELING

DRUID -----> that can summon wolf & Raven and cast tornado?
ASSAsin ------> THat can Set Traps & BUff himself that attacks great in melee
NECRO --------> That Summon Undeads & Curses
SORC --------> well Castt Spells
PALADIN -------->Gives AUra
AMAZON ----------> RAnge Thrower (If Possible can Switch to Melee)
BaR --------> Uber Life that Leap Attacks and Shouts (LOL :P )

i know its possible to edit skills onto hirelings but what im saying is using their specific class image. just like in act 5 hirelings,mercs there where barbarians
so im suggesting adding other classes like those!!!
I fully approve of this idea. But why settle for just editing the skills and using the character class images? I would settle for nothing less than making them full-blown classes, so Necro mercs could use shrunken heads, Assassin mercs could use claws, etc... also, it looks like Hireling.txt allows each merc to use up to SIX skills, so let's get creative about what skills these guys would use. A poison Necro merc, for example, could use the Poison Dagger, Poison Explosion, Poison Nova, AND Lower Resist skills; a bone Necro merc could use Bone Armor, Bone Wall, Bone Prison, Bone Spear, Bone Spirit, and Decrepify; Druids mercs could have Arctic Blast, Cyclone Armor, Twister, Tornado, and Hurricane; Sorcs could be granted Nova, Frost Nova, Chain Lightning, Meteor, Frozen Orb, and Hydra; etc... Barbarians could be modified to dual-wield and to use any kind of melee weapon, allowing them to use neat skills like Double Throw.
Necrolis" wrote:there is already a tutorial on this in the knowledge base:
kb/viewarticle?a=314&highlight=hireling
btw, summoning skills don't work correct on hirelings(or monsters), also hireling AI doesn't really behave as a player would
Link needs fixing.

Dra1970kstaar_MSD
Paladin

Post by Dra1970kstaar_MSD » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:06 am

Afaik hirelings and summons can't summon another minion.

If you want hirelings to use other skill then it would be a matter of just changing thier skills in hirelings file.

Another alternative would be to make summonable characters using the shadowmaster AI to cast skills. You would still not be able to have them summon.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Re: Re:

Post by Necrolis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:46 am

cotss2012" wrote:
kenneth247" wrote:...
I fully approve of this idea. But why settle for just editing the skills and using the character class images? I would settle for nothing less than making them full-blown classes, so Necro mercs could use shrunken heads, Assassin mercs could use claws, etc... also, it looks like Hireling.txt allows each merc to use up to SIX skills, so let's get creative about what skills these guys would use. A poison Necro merc, for example, could use the Poison Dagger, Poison Explosion, Poison Nova, AND Lower Resist skills; a bone Necro merc could use Bone Armor, Bone Wall, Bone Prison, Bone Spear, Bone Spirit, and Decrepify; Druids mercs could have Arctic Blast, Cyclone Armor, Twister, Tornado, and Hurricane; Sorcs could be granted Nova, Frost Nova, Chain Lightning, Meteor, Frozen Orb, and Hydra; etc... Barbarians could be modified to dual-wield and to use any kind of melee weapon, allowing them to use neat skills like Double Throw.
this tutorial is already in the knowledge base, please serach before you post requsts for tutorials already in existance
cotss2012" wrote:
Necrolis" wrote:there is already a tutorial on this in the knowledge base:
kb/viewarticle?a=314&highlight=hireling
btw, summoning skills don't work correct on hirelings(or monsters), also hireling AI doesn't really behave as a player would
Link needs fixing.
its in our KB(along with the other hireling tutorials), so its not really an issue, just use the seach on the left hand side

cotss2012

Re: Re:

Post by cotss2012 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:15 am

Necrolis" wrote:this tutorial is already in the knowledge base, please serach before you post requsts for tutorials already in existance
Really? Where?

agIDi

Post by agIDi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:31 pm

Ok heres 1 request :)
How to make a cube recipie that gives potion that gives permanent stat to hero?
Or
How to add new button to NPC like talk and trade.
I think CE is needed :S
Greetings ^^
If you don't like it, mod it xD

PappyT

Post by PappyT » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:48 pm

Nefarius, :D

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:49 pm

For cube recipes just use item codes for the potions in output, stat and skill point potion tutorials already exist in our knowledge base

agIDi

Post by agIDi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Thx, but i wrote it wrong, i ment state not stat :D
If you don't like it, mod it xD

Return to “General Mod Making”