Beginner Success and Failier

Post here about all aspects of D2 mod making whether it's information, problems or whatever. Please specify whether your post is relating to Classic D2 or the Expansion.

Moderator: Nizari

LeapingLeper

Beginner Success and Failier

Post by LeapingLeper » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:19 am

Hello, I'm new.
Played Diablo 2 for 15 years, just started to attempt some mods.

Running Expansion.
Used MPQedit Version 3.6.0.834 to extract .txt files
Then edited with AJF sheet edit 0.61b
The new .txt files are put in /data/global/excel within the Diablo 2 directory.

Have a separate shortcut made for running my mods with -detect -txt added to the shortcut.

What I've done so far:
Removed Regen Life stat from skulls when socketed in Helms / Armour.
Made some other changes to set items that appears to have worked - though I've not found items yet, will consider using an char editor to gain those items for testing soon.

When I came to editing misc.txt any changes I made caused game to crash after a few seconds of loading into the game (spawned in town). Tried new character etc.

Changes I tried: make runes not spawn, change level requirement for rune, prevent stamina potion spawning & being sold by Akara.
I tried each single change separately - None of them work.

Any advice that you can give me will be much appreciated.

Kaladann
Paladin
France

Re: Beginner Success and Failier

Post by Kaladann » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:43 am

Hello !

For the shortcut, I use "-direct -txt" , and add "-w" when I need windowed mode.

To test your items ingame, you can put a new recipe in "CubeMain.txt", with 1 isc + 1 tsc for example in input, and your item as output, work well for testing purpose.

See this thread for deep file comprehension : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34455
Sometimes we misunderstood something in the file, and all goes wrong ^^

To prevent stamina potion being sold by Akara, in MISC.TXT, did you try to delete the "AkaraMin" and "AkaraMax" in the Akara vendor column of this potion ?

To prevent stamina potion spawning try to set "spawnable" column to 0.
Try the same for runes. Never try this, so I don't know if it works...

Keep the hard work, sometimes it take me ages to make something to work good :mrgreen:

Cheers !

Kal
Want to play but not enought time to drop good stuff and raise decent level ? Try Casual Nostalgia !
ImageMore infos here : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=63800
CHEERS !

LeapingLeper

Post by LeapingLeper » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:22 am

Yes I only changed values from 1 to zero.

Kaladann
Paladin
France

Post by Kaladann » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:31 am

So maybe runes are hardcoded...
Some stuff is like that, so messing with txt files is sometimes is'nt possible.
Want to play but not enought time to drop good stuff and raise decent level ? Try Casual Nostalgia !
ImageMore infos here : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=63800
CHEERS !

AlphA - The Real One
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Germany

Hand-picked

Post by AlphA - The Real One » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 am

Removing or changing runes is no problem at all (only think to consider are quest rewards in act4/5 which would need a hardcode change), so this shouldnt be it.
Another way to test your items, is to create some simple test cuberecipes and have your chars start with a cube.

Cheers
AlphA

EzRemake

Post by EzRemake » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:30 am

What types of crashes are you getting? Are they the c0000000005 variety? If so, you'll need to add your Diablo II.exe and Game.exe in your Diablo 2 folder to window's Data Execution Prevention.

LeapingLeper

Post by LeapingLeper » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:14 pm

My mod is for Act 1 only - characters will never leave this act, so hopefully eliminating runes will not be affected by Hellforge or Act 5 quest reward.
EzRemake" wrote:What types of crashes are you getting? Are they the c0000000005 variety? If so, you'll need to add your Diablo II.exe and Game.exe in your Diablo 2 folder to window's Data Execution Prevention.
It just exits the game, and blizzard crash report comes up.
Do I need to look for a crash report log file?

Update: I managed to get the game working for longer. It seems that when I make stamina potion un sellable from Akara, the game is fine until I shop with her. So looks like there is a second file to amend somewhere. (a conflict of information is happening) Stamina pots are available in shop just before the crash.
So far I've only edited misc.txt

Return to “General Mod Making”