Welcome to the new keep!

Check here for any important information about the Phrozen Keep and these forums. Only staff members may start a new topic but anyone may post their thoughts and responses.
Ribby

Re: Welcome to the new keep!

Post by Ribby » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:24 am

Something about the interface looks wrong. It's like accommodating for the mobile browsers. This is a game for desktops/portables. The strain upon the users/readers just became much heavier (wow, I just re-criticized my lack of web design effort in personal contribution [I just stick a long list of sections scrolling down like procedural level line sequences, {I should have used some group organization for the ease, or sake of the users; it's even worse than my message board opening post's section organization} lol]). This is true for the mouseover quote script, prevents me from reading for a moment. Another peeve is the added bloat of menus in topic pages. The reply follow screen is a nice touch, but might be jarring. I suggest to make the interface navigable with basic stuff (like phpBB, which pretty much gets the interface design as intended), then you can start patching the internal workings.

Anywho, this feedback is actually saying (too) much so sorry about the critic with a grain of salt.

HarvestWombs
Senior Moderator
Arch-Angel
United States of America

Post by HarvestWombs » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:26 am

We all get it.... it looks different, big deal.
Some of us are just happy that Volf is nice enough to keep the community going.
Official Phrozen Keep Discord
Common Modding tools: link
My Resource Packs: link

TrueMage
Hosted Forum Moderator
Principality
Russia

Post by TrueMage » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:42 pm

Great work, Volf! :) Thank you

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:29 pm

@ribby all feedback is valued. We want hear Both whats good or bad.

Ribby

Post by Ribby » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:24 am

Well, I'm just getting started on fleshing out the details. Call me a robot or clone, but I'm used to the phpBB's default aesthetics or at least just like it. Yeah, it's a bit basic, but at least it inlines to a certain standard in terms of users navigating the forum. There's all these bells and whistles and distractions that might interfere to the intended accessibility, ease of use, and convenience. Call me stupid, but it's ultimately the core design of interfaces. The eye-catching colours is secondary for the intended audience.

Anyways, I'm sure we, as inviduals, will all flesh out the details in depth and provide our input in what's going down in the community. Maybe more to come.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:07 am

Thanks TrueMage, nice to see your still stopping by from time to time.
@Ribby, Its a bit tricky balancing between what people here are used too, what was broken on the old site, what we should be displaying for new mod players, what we should be showing new mod makers + All the different screen sizes people use these days.
I do have a solution though, the solution is simply different themes showing different things depending on the members or visitors preferences. Something like a mod makers theme that focuses on accessibility to anything modding related, a player theme making it easy for the players to navigate the different mods, maybe an ot theme for those who are out of the modding scene but stick around out of habit.
I just cant work on that before everything else is done.

Once i get to that i will get the community involved so that everyone voice is heard + i might have to outsource some things.

TrueMage
Hosted Forum Moderator
Principality
Russia

Post by TrueMage » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:53 pm

Yeah, Volf, also really nice to see all of you guys staying here. It is like something solid in changing world. :)

Ribby

Post by Ribby » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Well, experiment mode is always good for focus study. Something's jarring about the cookies bar as well. It's like an ad. I get that the old forum is breaking down. If anyone else can speak out about the old forum, I would like to hear.

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:12 pm

Volf, I would like to make a request. Is it possible to add support for tables in bb code? I felt the need for it in old forums because I like to present data in tables. At the moment I am working on something that I would like to post and it's in tables.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:16 pm

jetaman, already added, check this post

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:15 am

Volf, sorry I didn't see that. Thank you for this. It will help me a lot. Also, I wanted to ask you: is it possible to add HTML code support when writing a reply? I saw it in some forums, you can switch between BBcode or HTML code.

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:56 am

jetaman wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:15 am
is it possible to add HTML code support when writing a reply?
Sorry, no, allowing html makes a forum vulnerable.

jetaman
Hosted Forum Moderator
Champion of the Light
Ukraine

Hand-picked

Post by jetaman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:22 pm

OK. No problem. I didn't know that. You're the boss.

mirecek
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Arch-Angel

Post by mirecek » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 pm

looking good, guys! The site is Sooooo fast , and the download center as well! I really like this improvement.

Hey Volf! i've been watching your projects site since .biz times. when was it, 2006? haha :) time eats memories so fast. Aika multaa muistot.
I can't spent much but PM me if you'll need a donation to keep the site up. I've spent my childhood here and despite being a recreational modmaker, this site means a LODT for me.
"Each of those few chords separated by complete silence feels like a knife wound to the heart"

There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery. Draconian

Volf
Retired Admin
Dominion
Finland

Hand-picked

Post by Volf » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:23 pm

mirecek wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 pm
looking good, guys! The site is Sooooo fast , and the download center as well! I really like this improvement.

Hey Volf! i've been watching your projects site since .biz times. when was it, 2006? haha :) time eats memories so fast. Aika multaa muistot.
I can't spent much but PM me if you'll need a donation to keep the site up. I've spent my childhood here and despite being a recreational modmaker, this site means a LODT for me.
Thanks.
Think in 2006 i was on my second domain 18v.biz (was exited about getting a 3 character domain until i realized it sounded like an adult domain).
Appreciate the thought, anyone who wants to support the keep can simply buy their games from kinguin after registering using our referral banner in the left sidebar.

Return to “Staff Announcements”