Back to Hellfire v1.00/v1.02 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Information and updates for the Back to Hellfire mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.
OuTTa

Re: Back to Hellfire v1.00/v1.02 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Post by OuTTa » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:45 am

[quote=onyx";p="406425"][quote=OuTTa";p="406312"]If you click on your tome of identify with the right mousebutton(like you wanna ident something) and then click again right button on a Book of skill it will be gone :cry: Is it a bug ?^^ I killed 2 books by that so far :>[/quote][/quote]

Probably a bug, I need to test further. But why do you even do this?

I was so excited :mrgreen:

FrostByte

Post by FrostByte » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:11 pm

Actually it's not a bug or something. Unid books can also be learned, in case it's one for ur char. I think u just learned one skill of ur char but u dont know which cuz the book was unid ;)

PS: I'm back to play BTH :) . I've been kept busy recently, cuz of school but now i have 2 weeks holiday and i would like to share my knowledge and fun of BTH with you guys :P

Sing_in_silence

Post by Sing_in_silence » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:15 pm

I'll start this with some serious disclaiming:

1) Started recently. (> 1 month), haven't gotten any characters past the act 3 sewers yet.

2) I don't farm, usually. Ugh.

3) Until I know what I'm doing, I play very investment-light. (Stats/skills (when applicable).

That said, here we go.

Been interested in BtH from ~the release of 1.01, but couldn't get it working.
(Problem was a .dll mixup between versions in my game folder. Bleh.)

First character: Blood Wizard.
Got him to level 23, Act 2 Valley of the Magi. Realized that I was having an incredibly easy time, deserted him and started a new Blood Wizard. Hardcore.
He's Currently level 25, trying to survive the Act 3 sewers >_<

Took a break, made a Warrior (a couple, actually) and a Bard.
Both ~level 20, both steeling themselves to face Andarial. (Though I expect she'll prove easier to beat then to get to.)

Impressions:
What more praise can I give BtH then to say that I (fairly often) forget that I'm not playing D1? (Merc, Blood Golem and all.)
Thus far, I'm enjoying it immensely.

Loved how Den of Evil became Poisoned Water Supply, as well as the Tools of Trade quest. They fit so well.

Feedback (mostly from a Blood Wizard's PoV): (See disclaimers)
* Something seems to be wrong with Belial.
Casting Sentinals (so that they can shoot him around the corner) = by the time he turns the corner and enters my LoS he's usually down to ~1/3 HP.

* Act 1 mercs do some serious damage. I mean, no matter what char I'm using, I'm always getting ODed :P
(Seriously, I got through Acts 1/2 by tanking for the merc.)
Act 2 mercs (in the best armors I have to give them) = Glass cannon.
He'll kill stuff all by himself... Up until something hits him.
1 hit = TP back to town to rez.
Haven't tried Act 3 mercs yet. (Don't want to lose my fully leveled mercs.)

P.S.
I assume that they're intended to always be ~5 levels lower then you are?

* The Altar holding the 2nd note is less then obvious.
I only found it after searching this forum for it's location.
Just adding my voice to the crowd.

* Grim hoop can only be cast if you cast it it LoS (not behind a wall, etc.).
This intended, or mechanically unchangeable? (Makes blinking toward walls a risky proposition.)

On that note: Grim hoop is *awesome*.
Best defensive skill in the mod (that I've seen thus far :P)

* Why does Quilted Armor have to require *12* Str? :P (11 = 1 (BW max) + 10 (from str/dex pact)

* An 'issue' with a whole bunch of ranged attacks: Projectile range is smaller (By ~2 yards) then attacker's detection range, so missile expires before hitting target, and attacker keeps attacking an (effectively) unhittable target.
e.g. Ice Arrow, Sentinal, Magma Demon's boulder.

* The Butcher CHEATS! :O
(When did the *bleep*tard learn to open doors?! >_<)
(Whoa, did that give me an adrenaline rush... ^_^)

* Nice work with the poison spitters. (Ugh, I hate them =))
I'm curious though, why you didn't give them a (100%) ctc of the poison puddle on death?

* I'm wondering how Blood Boil works.
I don't think it's a Replenish Life, and there's no base HP regen to 'speed up'.

* I understand that BtH is supposed to be ~1000 years before D2, which is why Fara isn't (which reminds me, I like her replacement. And the new city layouts for that matter).
In that case, and based on his 'Horazon's Journal' monologue, should Drognan still be named Drognan rather then Horazon?
(See this thread.)

* I'm assuming that the King Leoric quest completing when you 'kill' his crypt is intended for a mechanical reason?

* [Known] Inventory items background turns green in the Poisoned Water Supply.

I'm not quite sure that I 'get' how a Warrior's skillset is supposed to work with itself. (Crafting aside.)
High defense/block does not work well with thorns, in my experience.
(Don't know abuot blade shield.)
(btw, did you know that, unlike Life Degen or poison's DoT, Sacrifice *can* kill you? I didn't.)

Is all for now.

Keep up the good work. (Or don't. No pressure :p)
Last edited by Sing_in_silence on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:17 am

Long post - long answer.

[quote=Sing_in_silence";p="408469"]
* Something seems to be wrong with Belial.
Casting Sentinals (so that they can shoot him around the corner) = by the time he turns the corner and enters my LoS he's usually down to ~1/3 HP.
[/quote]

Just like any other slow monster that you know the location of and you can cast Sentinels around the corner. Belial will start walking the second he gets hit by the first projectile, but he's slow and he gets lots of hits until he turns the corner.

* Act 1 mercs do some serious damage. I mean, no matter what char I'm using, I'm always getting ODed :P
(Seriously, I got through Acts 1/2 by tanking for the merc.)
Act 2 mercs (in the best armors I have to give them) = Glass cannon.
He'll kill stuff all by himself... Up until something hits him.
1 hit = TP back to town to rez.
Haven't tried Act 3 mercs yet. (Don't want to lose my fully leveled mercs.)

P.S.
I assume that they're intended to always be ~5 levels lower then you are?
[/quote]

If you want to fully experience the mod (or at least my vision about the mod), then don't use mercs. They're only there because they cannot be removed easily. And yes, they are unbalanced and bugged.

P.S.: 5 levels lower than you? Doesn't mean they will be 5 levels lower than everyone. People complete acts on different levels you know ;)

* The Altar holding the 2nd note is less then obvious.
I only found it after searching this forum for it's location.
Just adding my voice to the crowd.
[/quote]

That's what the forum is for ;)

* Grim hoop can only be cast if you cast it it LoS (not behind a wall, etc.).
This intended, or mechanically unchangeable? (Makes blinking toward walls a risky proposition.)
[/quote]

I don't even know if it's mechanically unchangeable, because I never tried to change it. The skill works as intended.

* Why does Quilted Armor have to require *12* Str? :P (11 = 1 (BW max) + 10 (from str/dex pact)
[/quote]

What do you mean? Even if you equip a Pact item, your Strength stays at 1. You'll never be able to equip a Quilted Armor.

* An 'issue' with a whole bunch of ranged attacks: Projectile range is smaller (By ~2 yards) then attacker's detection range, so missile expires before hitting target, and attacker keeps attacking an (effectively) unhittable target.
e.g. Ice Arrow, Sentinal, Magma Demon's boulder.
[/quote]

Most of these are known.

* The Butcher CHEATS! :O
(When did the *bleep*tard learn to open doors?! &_&)
(Whoa, did that give me an adrenaline rush... ^_^)
[/quote]

:inabiaf: He might be dumb, but opening a door isn't exactly rocket science :P

* Nice work with the poison spitters. (Ugh, I hate them =))
I'm curious though, why you didn't give them a (100%) ctc of the poison puddle on death?
[/quote]

To tell you the truth, I don't know. I certainly intended to do it at some point, but then I forgot about it and it got lost.

* I'm wondering how Blood Boil works.
I don't think it's a Replenish Life, and there's no base HP regen to 'speed up'.
[/quote]

I'm sure there is a thread around here that discusses Blood Boil's mechanics in detail, please search for it, so I don't have to :)

* I understand that BtH is supposed to be ~1000 years before D2, which is why Fara isn't (which reminds me, I like her replacement. And the new city layouts for that matter).
In that case, and based on his 'Horazon's Journal' monologue, should Drognan still be named Drognan rather then Horazon?
(See this thread.)
[/quote]

There was a big misunderstanding at one point about the timeframe of BTH, mainly because of me remembering some stuff from the Diablo lore wrong. Actually, BTH takes place in the same time as D1, it pretends that D1 never happened (actually, BTH "includes" D1) and it also pretends that D2 never happened (or will not happen, because you fight all evils in BTH).

* I'm assuming that the King Leoric quest completing when you 'kill' his crypt is intended for a mechanical reason?
[/quote]

Yes, workaround for some "nice" Blizzard hardcoding of the boss.

(btw, did you know that, unlike Life Degen or poison's DoT, Sacrifice *can* kill you? I didn't.)
[/quote]

I did :twisted: (Actually, players reported it to me, but it's nice)
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

XuPOMAHT

Post by XuPOMAHT » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:16 am

There can i take third type of horns? I have moon and night , and hundreds runs on blood clan in cave lvl4, but it won`t drops.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:53 pm

There is no third type of horn.
ONYX

Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

heromdel

Post by heromdel » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:29 am

Sorry if im posting this in the wroung area, or if I missed a link.

I am having the socket error when I try to host or join a tcp/ip game
I am running on windows vista single player works fine

I am networked to my wifes computer hers has windows xp she can host with no problem. I cant test if she can join since I cant host.

the game crashes after making a character or selecting one but before the town is loaded.

I dont know if this is helpful but here is the exact error message

Halt
Expression : Socket

anyway I did have one other bug that im not to worried about but just thought I should mention.

On single player I belive it was floor three on the way too the stairs a door way stopped function I town portaled thinking it might fix when I came back but instead the whole wall changed into the jail like bars and there was no door but there was showing one on the mini map still so I cant get any further in the game without blink maybe but im lv 9 and cant use any blink staffs I have found.
I tried taking some screenshots but dont know if it worked I just hit print screen or whatever.

Edit: I just rember I did get monsters to respawn on the single player mode so I can try to level up and blink through the bars but im really not intrested in single player. Still its weird the door vanished.
Last edited by heromdel on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:44 pm

About your multiplayer error, read here. It's a known bug under Vista but sadly, no solution is available.

About the door vanishing - also a known and very rare problem. If you weren't on Vista, I'd recommend resetting your maps by creating a mulitplayer game, but you can't do that either. So you have the following options: send your character to someone who runs the mod on XP (or 2000, or 98, whatever), so he can reset the maps for you. Or simply start a new character and hopefully, the problem won't happen again.
ONYX

heromdel

Post by heromdel » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:24 am

I was wondering if the error is caused by the code that removes the battle net button is there a way to remove the code and thus remove the error. Not nessecarly from the mod but maybe remove it from the files on a vista system.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:02 am

If there was a way, I would have suggested it in my previous post.
ONYX

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Post by Desocupado » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:17 pm

I always have to say. Great Mod man.

I have some feedback:
1 - Blacksmith oils drop way too much... At least on act 1 normal.

2 - Horns drop too much as well... Maybe you could make them stackable? If that doesn't affect the portal recipe, it would be a good solution.

3 - Couldn't you make mercs level up faster, have more hp and less damage? They could help a bit fighting and holding enemies off without killing much themselves.

4 - Can't you make all npcs heal? It's kinda of boring having to walk the whole town to speak to Adria.

Probably not all ideas are of your liking, but I had to give my personal opinion. Anyway, keep it up the great mod.
Last edited by Desocupado on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:37 am

[quote=Desocupado";p="414649"]
1 - Blacksmith oils drop way too much... At least on act 1 normal.
[/quote]

That's the idea - grab an oil when you need it, ignore the rest.

2 - Horns drop too much as well... Maybe you could make them stackable? If that doesn't affect the portal recipe, it would be a good solution.
[/quote]

Same as above - you only need 3 horns for the recipe and you can always go and kill a few goats when you need them, so why do you collect them?

3 - Couldn't you make mercs level up faster, have more hp and less damage? They could help a bit fighting and holding enemies off without killing much themselves.
[/quote]

Mercs balance has been discussed way too many times and no matter what I do with them, they always end up too strong in some situations and too weak in others.

4 - Can't you make all npcs heal? It's kinda of boring having to walk the whole town to speak to Adria.
[/quote]

:twisted:
Last edited by onyx on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ONYX

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:09 am

Some funky problem with Halls of the Blind.

If you go down to the hall then come back up to the dungeon level through the portal, even you open a new portal far away from the ring you will still be directed to the Halls instead of the town.

Another thing perhapse has been mentioned before is that the circle to the Halls appears multiple times in different levels of dungeon... Just wondering if it is normal

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:12 am

[quote=biobaba";p="415384"]
Some funky problem with Halls of the Blind.

If you go down to the hall then come back up to the dungeon level through the portal, even you open a new portal far away from the ring you will still be directed to the Halls instead of the town.
[/quote]

How far away from the ring? Note that there is a certain area around that circle that directs the portal to the Halls of the Blind ;)

[quote=biobaba";p="415384"]
Another thing perhapse has been mentioned before is that the circle to the Halls appears multiple times in different levels of dungeon... Just wondering if it is normal
[/quote]

It's normal and it's random. You can get a level without the circle at all, or with the circle 3 times.
ONYX

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:51 am

as long as I am in the same "room" with the ring the portal will not direct me to the town. Once I leave the "room" I am able to set up a normal portal. After that I can go back to the room where the ring locates and open up a normal portal to town again.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:06 am

Well, it's supposed to open a portal to the Halls of the Blind anywhere in the room with the circle...
ONYX

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Sat May 02, 2009 5:28 pm

Got some Blood Wizard questions,

:arrow: When I standing right next to the edge of grim Hoop the monsters are still able to damage me, is it intended?

:arrow: Stone Curse can freezes multiple enemies if they are standing really close

:arrow: Stone Curse sometimes does not work on monsters (not boss or unique or champion) unless I cast multiple times on them, is it because they have some kind of resistance against it?

and some minor stuff
:arrow: When you put gems/runes into a socket cape, afterwards the cape's name will turn red and the back ground in the inventory will become red too as if the item is not ready to be used. However it does not directly affecting game play.

:arrow: An old bug that you can get the Rune Blade in act 3 by simply destroy the book shelf and ignore Zhar.
Last edited by biobaba on Sat May 02, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sun May 03, 2009 6:21 am

[quote=biobaba";p="415695"]
:arrow: When I standing right next to the edge of grim Hoop the monsters are still able to damage me, is it intended?
[/quote]

Yes, some monsters have a wider range of their attack. Think of it as reaching over the barrier ;)

:arrow: Stone Curse can freezes multiple enemies if they are standing really close
[/quote]

Yes, it can. Are you complaining? :D

:arrow: Stone Curse sometimes does not work on monsters (not boss or unique or champion) unless I cast multiple times on them, is it because they have some kind of resistance against it?
[/quote]

No, it's because it misses.

:arrow: When you put gems/runes into a socket cape, afterwards the cape's name will turn red and the back ground in the inventory will become red too as if the item is not ready to be used. However it does not directly affecting game play.
[/quote]

Never seen or heard of this one. Could you show me a screenshot?

:arrow: An old bug that you can get the Rune Blade in act 3 by simply destroy the book shelf and ignore Zhar.
[/quote]

This isn't a bug. You can also rescue Cain without killing the Butcher or grab the gem without killing Na-Krul ;)
ONYX

XuPOMAHT

Post by XuPOMAHT » Wed May 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Your mod doesn`t work with windows 7. originally D2 works correctly.

Sidris

Post by Sidris » Mon May 25, 2009 4:09 am

nope dont work with windows7 it seems i have the same problem..

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Mon May 25, 2009 8:36 am

Hi,
As you probably don't know, I'm working on a modified version of BTH, so this concerns me.

'Doesn't work' tells me nothing. I have Vista. Onyx has DOS 3.0 I suppose. It's hard to fix something you can't reproduce without knowing what actually goes wrong.

Does nothing happen when you run it? Do you get an error? What error? Does the game crash? Information, people! Information!

Did you try right-click-> properties -> compatibility -> Windows XP compatibility mode? What happens?
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

XuPOMAHT

Post by XuPOMAHT » Mon May 25, 2009 4:38 pm

Ok, exuse me. When I try to run BTH (even with compatibility mode ) there is black screen and "Hey guys, we got a big error here:("
Thanks.

ChaosMarc
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light
Germany

Post by ChaosMarc » Tue May 26, 2009 8:17 am

"Hey guys, we got a big error here:(" ist a typical error of the d2loader.
are you using this tool? bth doesnt work with it (and btw it's not allowed in this community^^)

thirstyjack

Post by thirstyjack » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:22 pm

This is not a bug, I guess. But I've just been bored sort of tested how much exp the prime evils give in Hell mode. The results are quite surprising to me. The ratio is sort of like this, Mephisto : Baal : Diablo = 25 : 33 : 9.
Which means fighting Mephisto and Baal is MUCH more rewarding than fighting Diablo. But then again, the latter is much more weaker. Diablo doesn't have any special attributes, boosting it's HP and power doesn't make him significantly stronger, while the attributes of Mephi and Baal make battles much more challenging and exciting. Is it possible to let Diablo own some attributes? Is the much less exp from Diablo due to the level difference between him and I? I'm a Lv80 barbarian by the way.

aerial
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by aerial » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:15 am

http://i43.tinypic.com/15pn43l.jpg

Sometimes after knockback, stun and blind effect is not displayed above monster. Nothing serious, just noticed that today.
::::: my median videos :::::

Return to “Back to Hellfire”