Back to Hellfire v1.00/v1.02 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Information and updates for the Back to Hellfire mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.
biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:49 am

I got to act 5 at level 35 I saw both Quarter staff and Grim staff on sell in the shope though... still no staff at act 4...

I checked with one of my old char with level 70.. I found out there's no staff showing up in act 4 shop either

As for the progress
Act 1: level 17 or 18
Act2: level 26
Act3: level 34
Act:4: level 35 ( I rushed this act so this level is quite weak to finish act 4 of course)
Last edited by biobaba on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:07 am

Just checked and Enth'Dar sells Composite Staff and Quarter Staff. But I think I know what the problem is. He sells way too many item types and most of the time there is not enough room in the vendor window for the staves. Just leave town and return several times, you'll see that staves will pop up in his inventory once in a while.
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:15 am

Thanks for checking I guess I should visit him more often from now on

Evilpanda
Paladin

Post by Evilpanda » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:03 pm

i got my monk to act 5 at around level 35 ish and have since trained him to level 40 by grinding on previous acts, he can get through the caves ok but when i get to the durance the monsters there hurt him a lot but they are killable. monk has 67 vitality/202 hitpoints.
it can be hard to kill more than one monster at a time with ren-geri because of the vanilla 'get hit and your next attack does no damage' bug and the hard hitting monsters, but it adds to the challenge.
character has enough damage to get by as spells can soften things up before smashing them with a staff.
i got apocalypse level 1, fun but it doesn't do enough damage considering the cast delay- knocks about 1/10th life off act 5 toad demons.
i have tried to avoid using overpowered ring of light, (except round evil urns) as it is not fun to flatten stuff like bugs all the time. :-|

(....and that is my pitiful attempt to be detailed :roll: )

edit: the armour free with stick blood wizard spell cast animation shifts to the right about 7 pixels.

and a request- please can you remove all original act 5 music from playing as i have to turn it off so i don't risk breaking my DVD drive again.
Last edited by Evilpanda on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: Back to Hellfire v1.00 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Post by onyx » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:21 pm

Evilpanda";p="375980" wrote: it can be hard to kill more than one monster at a time with ren-geri because of the vanilla 'get hit and your next attack does no damage' bug and the hard hitting monsters, but it adds to the challenge.
Yes, those are vanilla bugs.
Evilpanda";p="375980" wrote: i got apocalypse level 1, fun but it doesn't do enough damage considering the cast delay- knocks about 1/10th life off act 5 toad demons.
Too low level of the skill, simple as that. It should work better against Act 4 monsters.
Evilpanda";p="375980" wrote: (....and that is my pitiful attempt to be detailed :roll: )
You're doing good ;)
Evilpanda";p="375980" wrote: and a request- please can you remove all original act 5 music from playing as i have to turn it off so i don't risk breaking my DVD drive again.
Say what?! :roll:
ONYX

Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:30 pm

Evil Panda is referring to the fact that Diablo II continuously reads the DVD drive when playing music in Act V. That could potentially cause a drive to break. On my old 486 I played Wing Commander 2 alot and it broke my original 2x drive. I then got smart and did a full install by copying the whole CD. This isn't possible with Diablo so you have to turn the music off to avoid this. I think, on the main, most drives should be able to handle the load. But it is true it won' t last as long with that kind of continuous use.

Your Welcome Onyx, I'm glad to help. But I appreciate the help the other players posted for you so I wouldn't have to do it all. Now if I could just find the time to read all 6 pages of this thread so I don't doublepost issues! :) (Yes, I realize both these statements are a contradiction, that's what I get for not living on a planet with 30 hour days).

I didn't realize you had done that low item drop on purpose. I found out if I use the blacksmith oil intelligently spaced, I am now able to gain money and didn't run out so I could actually buy potions and kill boss monsters (I just have to kill duriel in act 2 and I'm done with this act). This was all without doing any runs, a big improvement.

I know you don't always like it when I compare your mod to others, but it is a fact that all mods share many similarities even if totally different from each other. Your idea about socketing items does make sense. The only problem is I don't like making decisions! But I understand. If you have access to everything you found the gambling strategic nature of the game is lost and then your just hording items. I didn't realize you'd on purposely tried to move away from item worshipping and just play the game and get more skills instead.

Compare Diablo to Diablo 2. They have the same audience but are totally different. The original is so simple it plays like an simplistic action game. Preserving it's simplicity in this mod does make sense to me as well.

Strange, a few of the first spiders didn't seem to be attacking me even when I attacked them. They then became a little more aggressive and actually chased me around. Are there 2 different AI routines or is Diablo 2 a bit clunky? Since it mostly played well, I guess it's not a big deal.

The Liches still occasionally fire at me when out of range. They are much improved from before besides this. Their lower movement speed actually allows you to hit them, I don't have to play tag with monsters anymore. Your it, your it. They are still quite deadly in packs.

hemen

Post by hemen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:28 pm

Just tried to make 'for-ge' runeword in a 2 socket (black, non-ethereal) cape.
Didn't work
Is it not in the program or can you not make anything in a cape with automods?
One Monkey - One Monkey = Sadness For All

Little Faith
Paladin

Post by Little Faith » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:39 pm

hemen";p="376020" wrote:Just tried to make 'for-ge' runeword in a 2 socket (black, non-ethereal) cape.
Didn't work
Is it not in the program or can you not make anything in a cape with automods?
No runewords seem to work in capes. I don't think it has anything to do with automods though.

MrSpectator

Post by MrSpectator » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:47 am

First off, great mod :) Just registered on here just to reply :p

- Jewel recipe to add sockets to capes/cloaks didn't seem to work (i've only tried it once on a white cape, i'll try some more if i can find another)

- On the can't complete diablo quest bug, I had that bug as well, I managed to get the quest completed by killing mephisto first, then baal, then super unique guy in diablo's room (forgat his name) and then diablo himself. I also completed the other 5 quests from act5. I hope this might help fixing the problem.
I figured if the quest says find diablo then you can't complete it when you kill diablo. If it says kill diablo then you will be able to complete it

- Bloodwizard does seem to be easy, even in nightmare
See my personal gallery for screenshots why i think so, since im not allowed to post urls yet.
I don't know if act5 on nightmare or hell will give me a harder time. But i doubt i was supposed to be in the end of nightmare at level 38 :lol:

- I also found a rare crash in act2. After you've smashed the viper altar and then go down towards horazon's tunnel I crashed after leaving the room which warns you not to go past the pillars ( forgat its name), i tried doing it 3 times and i tried all 3 times. A way around this was waiting until the alat destroying animation and sound was gone and then i could just run on.

- I do agree that most of the special bosses are weak compared to the normal monsters running around.

Little Faith
Paladin

Post by Little Faith » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:54 am

Could it be that the game somehow doesn't consider the capes as "body armor"?

Just like regular LoD doesn't think orbs are melee weapons, but simply counts them as "weapons" in respect to runewords and recipes.

Haynen

Post by Haynen » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:56 am

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg13 ... hot001.jpg

Only Tested on Normal with a Blood Wizard:
If you get Azmodan and yourself in a situation like the above screenshot, he really can't do much to you. He will cast Blizzard and Immolation on you with noticable time gaps. Even with -96% resist all a blood wizard only needs to down a full heal potion every couple hits while casting sentinals next to him every time the skill timer wears out

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:24 am

*** MrSpectator
I'm glad to see you found a work around to that nasty bug that recently resurfaced. I'll keep that in mind when I get there. At least we'll be able to continue playtesting while Onyx squishes these bugs.

***Haynen
I told Onyx about this little issue with Azmadon a long time ago. He actually stated he may rework the whole level. I guess he never got around to it. Sometimes it's difficult to get this event to trigger but it was worth it since it used to take hours just to kill this guy. One solution might be to move the platforms further apart, or just scrap it and make a level with no gaps. There are always exploits in almost every part of the game if you look for them. D2 is an enormous game in scope, those kinds of games tend to be really buggy no matter how much time the developer spends. I usually only use these exploits as a last resort if a particular level is totally unbalanced for my character and seems impossible. :( Thankfully alot of those situations have been gotten rid of in his last few patches.

Well I'll see you guys later, I need to get back to playing. I have an appetite for demon meat (sorry if that makes anybody ill, I don't mean it literally). :mrgreen: :)

***Oh, Onyx. When I stated it was a large improvement with the mod because I was able to get to the end of act II without doing multiple runs, I meant to say this not because the mod is easlier (but that is a help), but because I had enough money (this has to be a run on sentence). I used to have to do runs just to have enough money to buy potions, not even to level up! I've confused you in the past, this is so it won't happen this time.
Last edited by D2 MOD player on Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Smiling Hobo
Champion of the Light

Post by Smiling Hobo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:44 am

Love the mod, but one thing (sorry if this has been pointed out, I've only skimmed the thread...)...

Why does the defiler quack like a duck when he's hit? It's so annoying! :P

*Nibbles on kitten*

fyris

Post by fyris » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:52 am

D2 MOD player";p="376043" wrote:*** MrSpectator

***Haynen
I told Onyx about this little issue with Azmadon a long time ago. He actually stated he may rework the whole level. I guess he never got around to it. Sometimes it's difficult to get this event to trigger but it was worth it since it used to take hours just to kill this guy. One solution might be to move the platforms further apart, or just scrap it and make a level with no gaps. There are always exploits in almost every part of the game if you look for them. D2 is an enormous game in scope, those kinds of games tend to be really buggy no matter how much time the developer spends. I usually only use these exploits as a last resort if a particular level is totally unbalanced for my character and seems impossible. :( Thankfully alot of those situations have been gotten rid of in his last few patches.
i'll like that special place for azmadon - i would say a game need thouse spacial places, that were completly different to all other

its more a skill issue on azmadon
just remove his charge? attack and give him dragonflight or leapattack(both without knockback) or teleport - the area should be his advantage not ours

thats also the only one grand evil thats has eventully to much hits

i guess he would be to strong with that many hits for longrange fighters with dragonflight, leapattack or teleport - but he realy needs one of that skills

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:29 am

Smiling Hobo";p="376059" wrote:Love the mod, but one thing (sorry if this has been pointed out, I've only skimmed the thread...)...

Why does the defiler quack like a duck when he's hit? It's so annoying! :P

*Nibbles on kitten*

because he sounded like a ducky in the original HF > <... now you mentioned it.. it does sounds quite funny

D2 MOD player
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by D2 MOD player » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:48 am

Well it is kind of like a big prehistoric bird. It's going to sound like one. One of those extinct birds bigger than an ostrich. Believe me when I say, a bird like that, could rip anybody and most other animals to shreds. And this was a real speciman, not some myth.

It's always been one of my favorite bosses, just because it's so unique looking. :inabiaf: :eatchicken:

I better get out of here, Onyx is going to tell me to post this in another thread. ;)

Valherran
Forum Regular
Angel

Post by Valherran » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:16 am

I git some time to play around witht he latest version, nice work so far, but i really think you should lower the HP those familiars, they got more HP than Mudmen, which is bad for a creature that spawns as a bigger mob than Mudmen.

Seraph Uri-el
Paladin

Post by Seraph Uri-el » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:42 am

Some Items have very low Durability in my Opinion. The lvl 15 Axe (forgott the name) for example. Maybe it wouldnt hurt if they get some more Dur.
Call me stupid but i do not know how to use Blacksmithoil. rightklick on it doesnt seem to work. Or does it only works with a Warriors Craftig skill?

Also i'd like to know if there are the other Oils in the Mod. Those wich adds +AR or +max min Dmg?

I wouldnt say that using a placemet strategy at the Areat summit is bugusing.
As a Rouge he onehitted me as i first entered the Summit. He still hits hard with Blizzard and Immolation. There are several Strategies for a few Unique like keeping El Chupacabras in a Firewall with a Fostnovastunlock and so on.

I do not know how hard or easy Actbosses with meleechars or the Bloodmage are, but when its so easy like some say the Rouge needs an upgrade imho. :P . Also you must imagen that on normal everything might be quite easy, but in Nightmare or Hellmode the get even more deadly, and Dmg and Defence doesnt raise that much.
Last edited by Seraph Uri-el on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:43 am

01:39:21.296 Stack Crawl:
01:39:21.296 Address Frame Module Return Stack
01:39:21.296 01d15d42 00000002 d2common.dll d2common!Ordinal11223+0362
01:39:21.296 Stack walk error: 0
01:39:21.296 1 frames dumped

Occured when I was in cave level 2.. My D2 stopped and then crashed afterwards

Only happened once so far though

Edit: I found a Royal Circlet in the game. In D1 this item had an "increased ac" (original crown 12 def +28 = 40AC). It would be nice if it has some +def in BTH as well
Last edited by biobaba on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:57 am

D2 MOD player";p="376016" wrote: Evil Panda is referring to the fact that Diablo II continuously reads the DVD drive when playing music in Act V. That could potentially cause a drive to break. On my old 486 I played Wing Commander 2 alot and it broke my original 2x drive. I then got smart and did a full install by copying the whole CD. This isn't possible with Diablo so you have to turn the music off to avoid this. I think, on the main, most drives should be able to handle the load. But it is true it won' t last as long with that kind of continuous use.
Ah, I get it now. No, I can't turn it off, but even if I could, I wouldn't have done it. If you don't want the music, then simply switch it off ;)
D2 MOD player";p="376016" wrote: Strange, a few of the first spiders didn't seem to be attacking me even when I attacked them. They then became a little more aggressive and actually chased me around. Are there 2 different AI routines or is Diablo 2 a bit clunky? Since it mostly played well, I guess it's not a big deal.
All Spiders use the same AI, but the lower grades are less agressive. It's done on purpose. You can even walk by them and they sometimes won't even attack you if you don't attack them first.
MrSpectator";p="376029" wrote: - Jewel recipe to add sockets to capes/cloaks didn't seem to work (i've only tried it once on a white cape, i'll try some more if i can find another)
Yes, this appears to be a mistake on my end. Same thing with runewords.
MrSpectator";p="376029" wrote: - I also found a rare crash in act2. After you've smashed the viper altar and then go down towards horazon's tunnel I crashed after leaving the room which warns you not to go past the pillars ( forgat its name), i tried doing it 3 times and i tried all 3 times. A way around this was waiting until the alat destroying animation and sound was gone and then i could just run on.
Any chance for the exact error message?
Smiling Hobo";p="376059" wrote: Why does the defiler quack like a duck when he's hit? It's so annoying! :P
As someone else already said, these are the Defiler's original sounds.
D2 MOD player";p="376065" wrote: Well it is kind of like a big prehistoric bird. It's going to sound like one. One of those extinct birds bigger than an ostrich. Believe me when I say, a bird like that, could rip anybody and most other animals to shreds. And this was a real speciman, not some myth.
The Defiler is actually an insectoid, not a bird ;)
Valherran";p="376067" wrote: I git some time to play around witht he latest version, nice work so far, but i really think you should lower the HP those familiars, they got more HP than Mudmen, which is bad for a creature that spawns as a bigger mob than Mudmen.
They have way less HP than Mudmen, but they have some physical resistance, which, as I already said, will be lowered.
Seraph Uri-el";p="376083" wrote: Call me stupid but i do not know how to use Blacksmithoil. rightklick on it doesnt seem to work. Or does it only works with a Warriors Craftig skill?
Check the recipes on the website. Blacksmith Oils are used to repair equipment and for Warrior crafting.
Seraph Uri-el";p="376083" wrote: Also i'd like to know if there are the other Oils in the Mod. Those wich adds +AR or +max min Dmg?
No, there aren't any others.
Seraph Uri-el";p="376083" wrote: I do not know how hard or easy Actbosses with meleechars or the Bloodmage are, but when its so easy like some say the Rouge needs an upgrade imho. :P . Also you must imagen that on normal everything might be quite easy, but in Nightmare or Hellmode the get even more deadly, and Dmg and Defence doesnt raise that much.
Let me remind you that the one person I know of who completed Hell difficulty in the mod did that with a Rogue :)
biobaba";p="376084" wrote: 01:39:21.296 Stack Crawl:
01:39:21.296 Address Frame Module Return Stack
01:39:21.296 01d15d42 00000002 d2common.dll d2common!Ordinal11223+0362
01:39:21.296 Stack walk error: 0
01:39:21.296 1 frames dumped

Occured when I was in cave level 2.. My D2 stopped and then crashed afterwards

Only happened once so far though
Thank you, but the part of the error dump you posted isn't the important part ;) I need the error message itself, namely the Expression line.
biobaba";p="376084" wrote: Edit: I found a Royal Circlet in the game. In D1 this item had an "increased ac" (original crown 12 def +28 = 40AC). It would be nice if it has some +def in BTH as well
Noted.

Whew, you people are driving me crazy! :D
ONYX

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:09 pm

expression line you mean the error window poped after the crash?..if not where can I find it?

I have forget how to check that.. it was long ago since I paid attention to it :(

MrSpectator

Post by MrSpectator » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:10 pm

onyx";p="376091" wrote: Any chance for the exact error message?
I'll try and recreate the crash and post the error message here then

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:14 pm

biobaba";p="376094" wrote:expression line you mean the error window poped after the crash?..if not where can I find it?

I have forget how to check that.. it was long ago since I paid attention to it :(
You have a daily log in the Diablo II folder, just open it and search for "Expression".
ONYX

fyris

Post by fyris » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:21 pm

MrSpectator";p="376029" wrote:First off, great mod :) Just registered on here just to reply :p

- On the can't complete diablo quest bug, I had that bug as well, I managed to get the quest completed by killing mephisto first, then baal, then super unique guy in diablo's room (forgat his name) and then diablo himself. I also completed the other 5 quests from act5. I hope this might help fixing the problem.
I figured if the quest says find diablo then you can't complete it when you kill diablo. If it says kill diablo then you will be able to complete it
that worked for me, thank you !!

it has to be someting with mephisto, i had killed baal several times but it didn't work.

mephisto->baal->diablo does the job

MrSpectator

Post by MrSpectator » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:17 pm

I haven't been able to reproduce the crash I mentioned before.

Besides that I've almost finished hell with my blood wizard now, he's level 46 and managed to kill mephisto. Baal was to hard to kill for my blood wizard.
I rushed through most of hell, but I didn't fencounter a single creature immune to magic, thus I was able to kill any creature with my blood wave (haven't got the level 40 skill yet since I didnt look for books in ages).

I've yet to reach this far in the game with other characters but in my opinion the blood wizard seems a bit overpowered

While killing azmodan i noticed his blizzard casts fast and does some nice damage. His diablo like flame nova on the other hand is weak and takes quiet long to cast (compared to blizzard and his normal attack).

While blizzard took about 3 hits to kill me on hell, the fire nova would take 10-12 hits to kill me with 30% less fire resistance then cold resistance. I really think that flame nova should get a boost since he uses it about as often as blizzard

Return to “Back to Hellfire”