Back to Hellfire v1.00/v1.02 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Information and updates for the Back to Hellfire mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.
onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Re: Back to Hellfire v1.00 Bugs/Feedback Thread

Post by onyx » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:44 am

usu";p="374797" wrote: i started a new blood wizard yesterday. (i really like this char... everybody said hell wont be easy for him, but ill try to get there kihl big d and try the goat lvl)
Just make sure that when you die, you go pick up your body, and don't save and exit. Otherwise you can lose the character :(
usu";p="374797" wrote: i wanted to ask if there are any special areas where i can find lvl ~30 skill books.
Any area with level 30 monsters, which means Acts 3 and 4.
usu";p="374797" wrote: and, if i cube books, will the output books skill req lvl depent on the ilvl of the books or on my clvl?
They depend on your character level. You'll have the chance of getting a level 30 skillbook from the recipe when you're level 27 or above.
usu";p="374797" wrote: i think i found like 6 different unique swords when running lazarus (the end guy in a3). what should i do with them? are there/will there be any cube receipes to make other usefull stuff out of uniques i cant use?
All recipes in the current release are listed on the website.
usu";p="374797" wrote: 1: i dont really want to mule them, id have to install plugy or the thing you can run d2 2 times with (modified d2gfx, so no, i will never use something like d2 loader).
Too bad PlugY and the modified d2gfx.dll are incompatible with the mod ;)
Haynen";p="374834" wrote: Out of curiosity is everyone getting this blood wizard bug using Windows Vista? Malachai29 said he was using Vista 32 bit. If the 64 bit users are using Vista as well, maybe they are related

I'm using 32 bit XP and have no problems with the blood wizard

I'm just throwing the idea out there, it could be completely wrong
Well, I'm still unable to reproduce it myself, running Win2000 Pro. You actually maybe have a point there...
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:14 am

just some comment so far
:arrow: Monk is really a fun char to play with... some meele and some spells.. I havent really figure out how am I suppose to distribute my attribute points yet.. but for sure some points into energy is needed
:arrow: Belail looks really cool... I really like the transparent hue on him
:arrow: it seems like there are too many fire based skills for monk.. I am concerning at higher levels the encounter of fire immune monsters would make things really tough...but I suppose it MIGHT be ok because the monk has a really cheap and strong "multiple kick" for level 30
:arrow: I thought Apocalypse deals physical damage? or it would make the skill too over powered
:arrow: Unable to add poition into belt sometimes when I pick them up or use shift keys... " its an old bug just mentioning here in case"

I think I might start to play blood mage soon since without +damage magical staff things are getting harder and harder for my Monk now :cry:

Over all nice work with the new modifications here and there.. I believe Ill see more cool stuff later on!! Thanks for the new release Onyx!
Last edited by biobaba on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:36 pm

Very well done! With the original music and cathedral textures I almost forget I'm playing "only" D2.

Some issues bother me nonetheless:
- is it completly random, which skill book you get through crafting? Right now i get in 80% the Holy Aura-Skill for my monk (rest is usually the Snake skill). Is it possible to distribute the skills more evenly between the three trees? I'm more into fighting than casting so a few combat skills would be nice :D

- the rogue merc seems a bit overpowered (noticed this already during the beta). She almost single-shots any enemy (well, at least in the early stages). This is not so bad, but i consider her the support, while i kill the foes, not vice versa.

- are you going to implement the original voice files for the townpeople? It would greatly contribute to immersion, when you hear the original voices when you get a quest or just gossip.

- the missing +damage for staves has just been adressed, so this is just for emphasis ;)

Keep up the good work, i'm really enjoying it!

Krabator

Post by Krabator » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:54 pm

The first act is finish and now i m in... act 2.

two things :

1 - The merc are not evoluating with you and are overpowered :
I was 20 and my act1 merc 12 at the end of act1... then i have take a merc 20 of act2 for improve the fight ability of my support...
And now he kills every mobs... i don't kill nothing even with my unique bow (with splash fire dmg) 8-O

2 - The (auto)map of Hive level is ugly... maybe you have worked very hard on it... but it's a pain to play in this level :s (after, it's a personnal point of view maybe the others like it)

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:59 pm

biobaba";p="374881" wrote: :arrow: Monk is really a fun char to play with... some meele and some spells.. I havent really figure out how am I suppose to distribute my attribute points yet.. but for sure some points into energy is needed
Haven't had the chance to run one through the game yet, but at least the design suggests that you distribute the points roughly even between the stats. I think he wouldn't be able to survive with spellcasting only, and he wouldn't be able to survive with melee only.
biobaba";p="374881" wrote: :arrow: Belail looks really cool... I really like the transparent hue on him
biobaba";p="374881" wrote: :arrow: it seems like there are too many fire based skills for monk.. I am concerning at higher levels the encounter of fire immune monsters would make things really tough...but I suppose it MIGHT be ok because the monk has a really cheap and strong "multiple kick" for level 30
Yes, his spells are mainly fire, but you do get powerfull magic spells (Blood Star, Bone Spirit) and you're capable of melee too ;)
biobaba";p="374881" wrote: :arrow: I thought Apocalypse deals physical damage? or it would make the skill too over powered
No, it's fire.
biobaba";p="374881" wrote: I think I might start to play blood mage soon since without +damage magical staff things are getting harder and harder for my Monk now :cry:
Just make sure you don't save and exit when you die. Retrieve your corpse first. I don't know what OS you're running and I'm still uncertain exactly when and on what OS the Blood Wizard bugs :(
RoyalFlush";p="374894" wrote: - is it completly random, which skill book you get through crafting? Right now i get in 80% the Holy Aura-Skill for my monk (rest is usually the Snake skill). Is it possible to distribute the skills more evenly between the three trees? I'm more into fighting than casting so a few combat skills would be nice :D
It's random, but according to your character level. Meaning if you're level 4, you'll get a level 1 book. Which of the 3 level 1 skills it will be is completely random.
RoyalFlush";p="374894" wrote: - the rogue merc seems a bit overpowered (noticed this already during the beta). She almost single-shots any enemy (well, at least in the early stages). This is not so bad, but i consider her the support, while i kill the foes, not vice versa.
Yes, but hirelings in the mod are very hard to balance. The system wasn't designed for this difficulty curve. During last Beta, people were complaining they were too weak, now they are too strong (and I'm certain they will become too weak again at a certain point). I have stated more than once that if I could remove the hirelings altogether, I would have done it years ago.
RoyalFlush";p="374894" wrote: - are you going to implement the original voice files for the townpeople? It would greatly contribute to immersion, when you hear the original voices when you get a quest or just gossip.
No, because almost all speeches have a change or two, there are almost none of them that are true to the original. Besides, what to do with the rest of the NPCs that aren't available in D1?
Krabator";p="374895" wrote: 1 - The merc are not evoluating with you and are overpowered :
I was 20 and my act1 merc 12 at the end of act1... then i have take a merc 20 of act2 for improve the fight ability of my support...
And now he kills every mobs... i don't kill nothing even with my unique bow (with splash fire dmg) 8-O
Check my reply to RoyalFlush regarding mercenaries.
Krabator";p="374895" wrote: 2 - The (auto)map of Hive level is ugly... maybe you have worked very hard on it... but it's a pain to play in this level :s (after, it's a personnal point of view maybe the others like it)
Let me be clear on this one - the automaps are the last thing I'm going to get involved into, and that's only if it matters enough, like when the catacombs didn't show the warps on the automap. Ugly or not, the automap of the Hive does its job, so just leave it be ;)
ONYX

Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

fyris

Post by fyris » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:58 pm

hi

just visited mount areat and found a rare orb

statts:

(useless)
(+20% ias) <- does ias work for lightning/chainlightning?
1 maximum dmg
17 attackrating
136% dmg to undead
222 attackrating against undead
11 poison dmg over 5 sec.
4% mana leech

(usefull)
3 frost nova skills
17 cold resistence

may you remove some useless statts for orbs? not all for sure, but some would be nice

some other statts witch may occur and aren't that usefull
enhanced dmg
x-y elemental dmg
+ minimal dmg
xx% chance to cast y spell

thatermites

Post by thatermites » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:32 pm

This is a great mod. I am playing blood mage. It is a very interesting character. I can see why he has to have a lot of vitality. He can't do any other sort of of attack that requires strength and dexterity. He uses health while being attacked.

Having a merc has helped me a lot. The merc is looks cool and is tougher to get killed. I will be really thankful for that when I get to hell mode wich is very far off.

Overall your new updated mod which I have barely began to explore is awsome.

On a side note- I found halls of the blind. It's cool.

Edit: Is using a town portal the only way of leaving the halls of the blind?
Last edited by thatermites on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:42 pm

fyris";p="374918" wrote:hi

just visited mount areat and found a rare orb

statts:

(useless)
(+20% ias) <- does ias work for lightning/chainlightning?
1 maximum dmg
17 attackrating
136% dmg to undead
222 attackrating against undead
11 poison dmg over 5 sec.
4% mana leech

(usefull)
3 frost nova skills
17 cold resistence

may you remove some useless statts for orbs? not all for sure, but some would be nice

some other statts witch may occur and aren't that usefull
enhanced dmg
x-y elemental dmg
+ minimal dmg
xx% chance to cast y spell

If my memory serves me right in the original D2 you get tons of junk on rare orb anyway.... the ias is only for attack speed...
orb is a meele class weapon though nobody uses it to hit nobody,I dont think there's anything wrong with those attributes attaching onto it.. then again thats just my 2 cents

Merc starting to die a lot in act 5 and higher diffcaulty level games..... you could revive them but they would be mighty expensive when they are at high levels....after your character is getting copule of skills developed merc would not be even close to as powerful as you are...

I personally think Act 3 cold merc is a bit overpowered with glacial spike.... it's like stone curse for free. Rogue merc are quite strong even in later games but they die quite often...
Act 2 and 5 merc I havent tried them yet.. however if they still charging at enemies like they normally would do.. non-of them are useful when you get to nightmare level
Last edited by biobaba on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Haynen

Post by Haynen » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:26 am

The blood wizard bug is not Vista or 64 bit system specific. Bug was performed on a 32 bit windows XP home edition operating system

With a new blood wizard I put on the first cape to drop, died, and exited and quit

The game would not load, had to end task BTH to get it to stop, and BTH loaded really slowly until I restarted the computer.

I had not noticed this bug before as my main blood wizard hasn't found a cursed cape yet, so my comments about blood wizard working fine on a 32 bit XP system were in ignorance due to lack of cape usage
Last edited by Haynen on Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:33 am

I had not noticed this bug before as my main blood wizard hasn't found a cursed cape yet, so my comments about blood wizard working fine on a 32 bit XP system were in ignorance due to lack of cape usage
Do you remember what stats the cape use? as I think that would help alot to sort out the bug :)

Haynen

Post by Haynen » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:10 am

Do you remember what stats the cape use? as I think that would help alot to sort out the
The cape was a regular quality non magical cape. The life bonus was +4
I did not note the defense or durability. The character has been deleted so there is no way of checking anything else

QW_Shadow
Paladin

Post by QW_Shadow » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:29 am

The one thing I really notice is the difficulty of the monsters compared the the actual Act boss, there is a really big difference. I just finished killing Azmodan and he was a cakewalk. But getting to him was hell. Same goes for Lazarus. Like for example, I ran into a champion Reaper in the Gaol and the thing nearly 1hko me. By the time I finally got to Lazarus, he was a wimp. His fireball did nothing to me, and he died faster then Zaar the Mad.

I basically had to skip though the whole Frozen Keep. I could of cleared it, but it was annoying having to repot every 3 or 4 battles. Sure, killing a Brute King is easy, but taking on 10 of them while having another 10 Psychorbs shooting at you is a just a little annoying. Now, I know this mod isn't suppose to be easy (which is why I like it), but it seems this whole ordeal should be the other way around (harder boss, easier enemies).

I think an easy way to fix this is just tone down the monster density a bit, or spread out groups more. This way you still fighting the same old tough monsters, but not so many at one time.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:21 am

thatermites";p="374932" wrote: On a side note- I found halls of the blind. It's cool.

Edit Is using a town portal the only way of leaving the halls of the blind?
Use the portal that led you there in the first place ;)
biobaba";p="374934" wrote: If my memory serves me right in the original D2 you get tons of junk on rare orb anyway.... the ias is only for attack speed...
orb is a meele class weapon though nobody uses it to hit nobody,I dont think there's anything wrong with those attributes attaching onto it.. then again thats just my 2 cents
Correct. I'll see about removing some stuff from orbs though, as no one would use an orb to hit a monster anyway.
Haynen";p="374977" wrote: The blood wizard bug is not Vista or 64 bit system specific. Bug was performed on a 32 bit windows XP home edition operating system

With a new blood wizard I put on the first cape to drop, died, and exited and quit

The game would not load, had to end task BTH to get it to stop, and BTH loaded really slowly until I restarted the computer.

Thanks for that report. Sadly, it was confirmed that the bug isn't linked to the capes at all, as there were reports of it without using a cape. All I can say for now is don't save and exit when you die, retrieve your corpse first. I'm trying to find a solution, but it's not easy - I'm still not able to reproduce it and cause of it is still unknown :(
QW_Shadow";p="374981" wrote: Sure, killing a Brute King is easy, but taking on 10 of them while having another 10 Psychorbs shooting at you is a just a little annoying.
Well, it's your fault that you alerted that many monsters at once ;) Brutes won't spawn more than 7 (iirc) in a group, and Psychorbs spawn 2-3 at once. If you had 10 of each, it means you were running around like crazy :) Just be more carefull when you advance into new areas of a level.
QW_Shadow";p="374981" wrote: I think an easy way to fix this is just tone down the monster density a bit, or spread out groups more. This way you still fighting the same old tough monsters, but not so many at one time.
As I said, Psychorbs will spawn 2-3 in a group. Goat Lords will spawn 2-4. Biclops will spawn 2-4 too. I don't see why I should reduce that ;) Brute Fallens are a different matter, but they are weak compared to other melee monsters in these levels, but they spawn in larger groups. This is intentional.
ONYX

QW_Shadow
Paladin

Post by QW_Shadow » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:59 am

onyx";p="375009" wrote: As I said, Psychorbs will spawn 2-3 in a group. Goat Lords will spawn 2-4. Biclops will spawn 2-4 too. I don't see why I should reduce that ;) Brute Fallens are a different matter, but they are weak compared to other melee monsters in these levels, but they spawn in larger groups. This is intentional.
Are you sure about those numbers? Maybe I had a REALLY bad map. I swear there were monsters everywhere, no aggro.

Like I said before, the problem may not be the density of the group, but how far apart they are spread out. To me, a group is a pack of monsters on your screen. Take a few steps off, you will then spawn another group from the next screen. This is what I'm talking about. Sure 3 Psychorbs isn't that bad, but when you try to avoid their magic shots, you can very easily spawn so many more because the monster packs are so close together.

biobaba
Champion of the Light

Post by biobaba » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:01 am

There was a "welcoming" ambush party right near by the entrance of level 4 Tomb.. It was probabaly due to my bad luck but I think I have encountered that ambush party back in Beta as well.. please take look at the monster spawn spots.

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:37 am

Last edited by kingpin on Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:41 pm

QW_Shadow";p="375011" wrote: Are you sure about those numbers? Maybe I had a REALLY bad map. I swear there were monsters everywhere, no aggro.
No, I'm not sure, because I didn't have the files when I posted this. Here are the actual numbers:

Fallen Brute: 3-5 (3-6 for the second version)
Biclops: 1-3 (2-3 for the second version)
Psychorb: 1-3 (2-3 for the second version)
Goat Lord: 2-3 (2-4 for the second version)

As you can see, I was just slightly off, and I even posted bigger numbers the first time.
QW_Shadow";p="375011" wrote: Like I said before, the problem may not be the density of the group, but how far apart they are spread out. To me, a group is a pack of monsters on your screen. Take a few steps off, you will then spawn another group from the next screen. This is what I'm talking about. Sure 3 Psychorbs isn't that bad, but when you try to avoid their magic shots, you can very easily spawn so many more because the monster packs are so close together.
That's why I said be carefull, and try to dodge and run away in a direction that you've already cleared. This isn't vanilla LoD, there actually is something to fear from.
biobaba";p="375017" wrote: There was a "welcoming" ambush party right near by the entrance of level 4 Tomb.. It was probabaly due to my bad luck but I think I have encountered that ambush party back in Beta as well.. please take look at the monster spawn spots.
My bad, will be corrected.
ONYX

Evilpanda
Paladin

Post by Evilpanda » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:37 pm

couple of things;

liches and orbs could do with a little more range, as i can stand out of range and fire spells at them in relative safety, with little effort.

i doubt this should happen, i don't remember it happening on beta 4, it had the original voice and text;
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj26 ... 2/bth2.jpg
Last edited by Evilpanda on Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:45 pm

Both noted to be fixed, thanks for the reports.
ONYX

Evilpanda
Paladin

Post by Evilpanda » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:33 pm

just got firering, it seems very overpowered; lvl 1 kills duriel in about 6 seconds including running and it flattens random act 4 monsters like flies, including characters....eg. the 'hellforge' guard in just under 2 secs.

fyris

Post by fyris » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:02 pm

hmm
can't finish normal difficult

finished all quests exept quest 1 act 2 and the last quest in act5

the diablo-quest always stops with the step: search diablos lair

if i kill diablo i can't speak with the angel, quest changes to can't compleated that game... (tryed it on serveral possitions)

some trys:
diablo death, questlog changes to can't compleated... ->exitgame->newgame exit-> no advance
diablo death, questlog changes to can't compleated... -> town->exitgame ->newgame exit-> no advance

char: sorcerer lvl 42 to 46 (created with v.1.00)
bth version 1.00

windows xp home
Last edited by fyris on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haynen

Post by Haynen » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:08 am

Ok did some Blood Wizard bug testing

Initial Staff-no bug
Initial Staff+boots=bug
Intitial staff+ring=no bug
Initial staff+ring+amulet=no bug
Bought staff+ring+amulet=no bug
Bought staff+ring+amulet+gloves=bug

I could do more testing, but it's probably just going to say that any type of armor will set off the bug

As for why can't Onyx get it to work, is your version of BTH in any way shape or form different than the one available for download? Of so maybe that has something to do with it, if not well I don't have a clue.

Oh and a warning probably should be placed on the website somewhere so people who are not following the forum threads will know about it, perhaps by the download link under a warning section. It would be really annoying to play for a long time with a character and lose it to this bug, at least you could say you warned them then

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:54 am

fyris";p="375079" wrote: hmm
can't finish normal difficult

finished all quests exept quest 1 act 2 and the last quest in act5

the diablo-quest always stops with the step: search diablos lair

if i kill diablo i can't speak with the angel, quest changes to can't compleated that game... (tryed it on serveral possitions)

some trys:
diablo death, questlog changes to can't compleated... -&exitgame-&newgame exit-& no advance
diablo death, questlog changes to can't compleated... -& town-&exitgame -&newgame exit-& no advance

char: sorcerer lvl 42 to 46 (created with v.1.00)
bth version 1.00

windowas xp home
Strange, I tried it several times and it worked each and every time for me. Question: when the angel comes down, does he have the little bubble with exclamation mark over his head or not? If he does, then have you tried talking to him? I think the quest solves when you talk to Tyrael.

But you're saying that quest status changes to "Cannot complete the quest in the current game", which is bad (and which means that most likely you cannot talk to Tyrael at all). I had that bug with an older version of one of the .dlls, but I'm sure that I switched to the new version for the release. I'll look at it again and see if I can provide any solution quickly.
Haynen";p="375128" wrote: Ok did some Blood Wizard bug testing

Initial Staff-no bug
Initial Staff+boots=bug
Intitial staff+ring=no bug
Initial staff+ring+amulet=no bug
Bought staff+ring+amulet=no bug
Bought staff+ring+amulet+gloves=bug

I could do more testing, but it's probably just going to say that any type of armor will set off the bug

As for why can't Onyx get it to work, is your version of BTH in any way shape or form different than the one available for download? Of so maybe that has something to do with it, if not well I don't have a clue.

Oh and a warning probably should be placed on the website somewhere so people who are not following the forum threads will know about it, perhaps by the download link under a warning section. It would be really annoying to play for a long time with a character and lose it to this bug, at least you could say you warned them then
I tried with a Blood Wizard who had boots equipped just yesterday and I didn't manage to reproduce the bug. I also tried several times with a high level Blood Wizard who had all the armor slots filled, including a cape. I think I'll just make more tests. And yes, I'm testing with the released version, nothing different on my end.

I was thinking about a warning on the website too, and I'll maybe put one if the bug isn't resolved in the next 10 days or so.

EDIT: Sorry Evilpanda, missed your report, here goes:

I think I know why Firering deals this much damage. The flames are too close and they stack, so when an enemy enters the fire it gets damage from several flames at once. I'll reduce the damage it does (as I have no way to reduce the number of flames).
Last edited by onyx on Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ONYX

QW_Shadow
Paladin

Post by QW_Shadow » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:03 am

This gave me a chuckle...

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/5725/oilstn9.jpg

It was originally a poison shine :P

onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by onyx » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:06 am

Ha, thought I disabled those! :D
ONYX

Return to “Back to Hellfire”