Running Back to Hellfire on Windows 7

Information and updates for the Back to Hellfire mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.
onyx
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Running Back to Hellfire on Windows 7

Post by onyx » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:10 am

Unfortunately, Back to Hellfire is incompatible with Windows 7. And before anyone asks - there is no way for me to change that. Long story short - the developer of some of the code changes for the mod is unavailable and there is no backup of the source code of said changes. And while I do have an idea which feature exactly is causing the crashes, there's nothing I can do about it.

There are three confirmed methods to make Back to Hellfire work on Windows 7 (this guide assumes you have installed the mod properly):

:arrow: Run the mod in windowed mode and with no sound
This is the easy way and it doesn't require any additional software. The downside, of course, is that you play in windowed mode and with no sound. Here's how to make it work:
  • Create a shortcut to BTH.exe anywhere you want
  • Right-click on the shortcut, choose Properties
  • A dialog window with settings for the shortcut appears
  • In the Target field, add -w-ns in the end (after the quotation marks)
  • Click OK, then start the mod from the shortcut you just created
Note that you need a space between the quotation marks and the -w-ns that you add to the Target field.

:arrow: Run the mod using Sandboxie
Instructions for this method were provided by player Jesse Higgins and have not been verified by me. Here's what Jesse wrote to me:
"Basically Sandboxie is like a virtual platform for your OS. It allows you to load programs in a empty sand box without changing any of your settings. You can choose which ones you want to load. Anything left in the sand box stays there without being stored on your hard drive. I simply downloaded it and installed it. Then run the program. It will ask what program to load. Find your BTH.exe file and load. Done! Mod runs perfectly without having to right-click and change settings on the icon. Now you can have sound and full screen mode for Windows 7. So I would suggest that one to people on your forum."

:arrow: Run the mod using Virtual Box
Instructions for this method were provided by player TheTotem132 and have not been verified by me. Click here to read the detailed instructions.

So if you want to play Back to Hellfire in Windows 7, there you have it.

Happy gaming! :)
ONYX
Read The Terms of Service before posting!

Back to Hellfire - Site | Forum
Also visit: Incandescence * Diabolic Cartography * Inventharia * Diablo Evolution

Return to “Back to Hellfire”