Running BTH on Win7 ... for the nth time

Information and updates for the Back to Hellfire mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

No votes

Total votes: 0

Tolias

Running BTH on Win7 ... for the nth time

Post by Tolias » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:48 am

Hello everyone. Just the other day I was thinking of playing some Diablo The Hell mod again. As I had to search a dozen USB drives for my old characters, I thought first to search on how to get it to work on Win 7... this of course turned my attention to BTH so here I am :D

Steps taken:

1) Downloaded & installed D2 and LoD from battle.net account game management. (path = c:\games\diablo II)

2) Used Version Changer 2.6 to switch to 1.10

3) 1.10 wouldn't start since the no-cd fix hadn't been implemented by Blizz at that point. This meant I had to, hm, obtain an image of LoD. (oh irony). It finally worked.

4) Downloaded BTH v1.0 and v1.02 from ModDB (1.02 up to date?) and dumped in BTH folder.

5) At that point running the exec resulted in crash, so google searched some more, which brought me here. This sticky mentioned some solutions; Running with no sound and on wm works...

6) However, 80% of the reason to play this hinges on music & atmosphere so that meant I had to try Sandboxie, which I installed. The guy in the sticky mentioned that it ran as was, so I tried it that way. Got the message "Could not find required dll. If Diablo is running you cannot start this mod. Quit Diablo and try again.". Obviously Diablo wasn't running.

This post describes the exact same problem and claims that the culprit is NewTxt.dll located in the BTH foolder and it has to be replaced with the one in the downloaded mod archive. This, unfortunately, does nothing.

At this point I am out of ideas. I'm not quite ready to make a virtual OS and all. If anyone has any ideas/suggestion as to making Sandboxie work or some other solution/tip, please feel free to leave a reply. Thx in advance :)

Tolias

Re: Running BTH on Win7 ... for the nth time

Post by Tolias » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:25 am

Well, I'll eat my f*cking beard.

After thousands of tries and retries (it became personal), playing with settings, it finally worked. What it took was enabling disable visual themes & run as admin(may or may not actually do nothing) and then starting by right clicking BTH.exe and choosing run with sandboxie. I don't even.

Return to “Back to Hellfire”