BLIZZ Remastering Diablo II!

Feel free to chat about anything unrelated to Diablo II and modmaking, just keep it legal :-) Please keep the spamming down though.

Moderators: AdiTT, Kardon

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

BLIZZ Remastering Diablo II!

Post by Xibalba » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:36 am

Is this real life :D ?

Code: Select all

Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.

We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.

So if you like wearing many hats, know small teams are the most effective, and look forward to challenges that will create millions of new adventures for our players: we would love to hear from you.

Responsibilities

Make gameplay first again on modern operating systems.
    Create conditions for experiences that look as good as they play.
    Own implementation and curation of features new and old.
    Combat hacking to improve multiplayer.
    Diagnose and fix all the things: crashes, deadlocks, overflows, heap corruptions, etc. 

Requirements

Expert knowledge of C / C++
    A minimum of 5 years’ development experience
    Experience debugging unfamiliar code
    Passion for games
    Excite us

Pluses

Experience debugging Win32 or OS X game software
    Experience using Visual Studio or Xcode
    Experience with x86 assembly

Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. 
Kingpin, Necrolis and lots of other experienced programmers. Check this link:

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/ca ... id=15000XZ
Life is too short to drive boring cars.

Desocupado
Forum Regular
Angel
Brazil

Re: BLIZZ Remastering Diablo II!

Post by Desocupado » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:27 am

I'm not sure a "StarCraft or Warcraft III" rewmaster would be of any success, but a D2 or D1 is quite achievable with D3's engine.

I wonder if the poster knows Back to Hellfire and/or Median. - it really seems targeted at such audience.

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:36 am

Desocupado" wrote:I'm not sure a "StarCraft or Warcraft III" rewmaster would be of any success, but a D2 or D1 is quite achievable with D3's engine.
I dont think so, they wont do huge changes imho. Instead of changing the whole gfx engine (like u said with d3's) they will fix the bugs, improve compatibility (win7/8/10), solve multiplayer issues and improvements like high res support etc. They may add interesting stuff like auto gold pickup etc. These are just my opinions.

weapon-x
Forum Legend
Arch-Angel
Philippines

Post by weapon-x » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:57 am

awesome!

phrozenkeep mod-makers are already trying to integrate modern mmorpg features with d2 :mrgreen:

item compare, auto gold pickup, animated orbs, other gameplay stuff, and the legendary awesome graphics engine reworked by senior code masters from the keep :) (*i wished to see em in action though)
" It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "

~Mark Twain

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:07 pm

weapon-x" wrote:and the legendary awesome graphics engine reworked by senior code masters from the keep :) (*i wished to see em in action though)
+1 on this :)

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:02 pm

they mainly want make sure their legacy games can run on newer os. I wouldn't expect to much about it, besides hopefully some bugs get fixed.

Xibalba
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Champion of the Light

Post by Xibalba » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:59 pm

kingpin" wrote:they mainly want make sure their legacy games can run on newer os. I wouldn't expect to much about it, besides hopefully some bugs get fixed.
do you think to apply sir?

kingpin
Retired Admin
Cherub
Sweden

Hand-picked

Post by kingpin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Xibalba" wrote:
kingpin" wrote:they mainly want make sure their legacy games can run on newer os. I wouldn't expect to much about it, besides hopefully some bugs get fixed.
do you think to apply sir?
I have work currently, so don't intend apply somewhere else.

Cai_Miao-BTH
China

Post by Cai_Miao-BTH » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:45 am

Absolutely legacy support. No REMASTER is excepted.
Translator for Simplified Chinese.
Discord: cai_miao#0861
Translated BTH by onyx, HU by Soulmancer (until 2.x),
LRdO (approved) by Xaphan and Median XL: Sigma by the MXL community.
D2MFC & D2FTM, Modern Font Customize solution for Diablo II

Future project:
- Set of Font with FULL Latin, CHI, JAP and RUS character support. To much time needed.
- BFE by TrueMage - to Simplified Chinese from English
- ES (original) by PerfectCell to Simplified Chinese from English/Japanese
-Touhou Diablo by Bishibosh-A - to English/Japanese from Chinese

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:07 am

They should honestly do what MS/Ensemble did for the AoE II: The Forgotten expansion (was a mod, team got given access to the full source and turned it into an official expansion). TBH, if they still have all the art assets, a proper remaster into 3D would take minimal effort, just needs a new GFX back-end. However, some of the requirements lead me to belive that they have lost source code and asserts (may just be for SC), else the updates for new OS support would be utterly trivial, at least in D2's case.
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

Daniel_

Post by Daniel_ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:09 am

Xibalba" wrote:They may add interesting stuff like auto gold pickup etc. These are just my opinions.
My opinion is, auto gold pickup is not interesting for Diablo2. The whole game is based on clicking and doing stuff. (yes small piles are trash and ignored, but here come loot filters into play that modern games have). It is simliar to starcraft: broodwar, the game is so fun and "relaxing" to play because you constantly have to do stuff, and the game isn't just over in a second like in starcraft2 big clashes, because of unit-boxes, pathing, micro+macro limitations, etc.(if you didn't experience this - and I'm not even good at all - you can't talk about the difference). To go further it's simliar with potion-management in Diablo2. It actually adds gameplay. YES that all is not modern, but it is stuff of Diablo 2, which Diablo 2 took from previous games and their liked gameplay (DIABLO 1 was almost only based about Potion Management AND clicking the right way...). It is intended to be there. So clicking for gold pickup can be a fun thing.. (remember the gold piles in the countess tower? People don't even care it's just digits, CLICK CLICK CLICK yes please. In D3 this would be meaningless CLINK everything picked up at once, MEH lol@my Witchdoctor with pick up radius I once had played).
OF COURSE YES it's convenient to not having to do anything, and yes it's not really gameplay (clicking on gold/drinking potions) if you want to argument that way, but what is mindlessly clicking on zombies or spamming qwre in D3? So when I want to do nothing I might aswell watch a movie/stream or sit at a river... Diablo2 should stay as is, in a remastered!! , etc)

That being said QoL like item-moving, or better ways for charms/classic.. (so you can actually pick up stuff) and quicker buying (buying potions has that minicooldown../I don't mean the mass-buy shortcut) is appropriate. And a remastered should have improvements of course... (buffs for weak builds/a bit ontent/certain qol/battle.net/lobby/gamelist options/grafic-pixels/show helm/etc ofc).

Making EVERYTHING easier though is often simply the toy of a programmer, and not really the best for the game sometimes, in my opinion... - Repeat it's a toy of programmer perhaps fullfilling someones request, to be cool but then the person would cry again(...) Even Blizzard stated this experience for WoW: People don't really want what they demand (...), and no matter how much they ruined D3, Blizz employees are by far not dumb. Features are more often than not simply advertisement or the plan to give you a reason to try it again. -
...(in my opinion)...UNLESS you make it a new game with all kinds of new things to do,, but I found that D2 has actually a rather simple game play.., so potion management and sometimes clicking on items/big piles of gold has this little addition that fits just well!!!

On another note I actually often heard that people enjoyed the competitive clicking on loot in multiplayer games in D2 as an addition to gameplay/I think lead designer of Path of Exile actually stated this personally - and I think most people can agree he does a good job!!! DOESN'T HE??

Back to the point: The treat of doing stuff.. is actually a reason why I don't need to get an insight really, I prefer getting a stronger merc and drinking potions and picking up mana potions from time to time - more to do = more fun - once you got used to it. (... unless you aim to port 24/7 for only one boss, that's ofc a different playstyle where a much highermana reg is simply BIS, ofc duh).

By the way! Another thing is the Decision of what you need.. It's important to keep in mind that Gold actually doesn't have that big of a role in Diablo2 - which Imo isn't bad neither, it adds the magic of decision: Do i want/need to gamble/need to rebuy merc often/shop claws or wands? (or do I decide to concentrate on other stuff..) Similiar to other things in Diablo 2 that you don't necessarily want but could still be useful and lucrative such as crafting incredients, magics, gems etc. Which some people simply don't want to do AND IT DOESNT GET FORCED NEITHER. Nothing of that you get automatically. And actually CHOOSING to pick stuff adds another point to the game.. Time (and research) spend on playing or trying some crafts etc? So to conclude this paragraph, not everyone decided to need gold and it's why it is not bad to having to click on gold... should be obvious now. Of course the Min/maxers go for a gold find barb in trist, w/e. You can still find gold with others as an addition to your gameplay - if you want.

And believe me I have all the experience, Guild Wars 2 made this extreme where you can basically pick up every single incredient anywhere in the world which is then stored in an unlimited stash that you can send stuff to from everywhere in the world... THIS FELT MEANINGLESS, TBH. (and again as great as it sounds/you need to experience this first, and not just for an hour). There was no decision anymore... (and this is just an addition to the previous arguments). So please before you talk about easy-mode stuff, at least try to consider being a bit more critical/sceptical/more neutral.

Perhaps you also know some of the allnew smartphone apps OR farmwill OR facebook? I actually don't really, but hey there they really abuse the "treat" of people simply doing pointless things such as clicking on gold somewhere on the screen which then creates shiny-rewarding animations.. and this is successful. Keep that in mind!! Now..imagine Getting all that automatically with a radius around your character?(! Exactly it's simply a very short termed fun if at all.., fun about an upgrade, but not fun at all in the long run at least to the ones used to it, I guess you could argue by slot machines now...)

And yes there can be other arguments and plans (business-competition/advertisement), but that's not really about this topic. ACTUALLY perhaps fitting anyways is the comparison: Poe vs d3, poe does alot good with well thought gameplay while d3 is the advertisement giant, the short term feature producer, the Super simple COOL toyish programmer with alot of time/money)...

HF WITH YOUR BRAIN ON DRUGS BY MY TEXT! (And by the way I'm not a native, you can send me grammar or other corrections via pm if you so desire)

PS: Gratz@myself on a monologue on a 1 month old topic, HEY IT'S only one month!

bleedingapathy
Dark Alliance Beta Test
Paladin

Post by bleedingapathy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:16 pm

um.... its almost 2 years since someone last posted way to necro things :P

Return to “Off-Topic”