Character Builds for 1.10

Information and updates for Teknokyo's "Ancestral Recall" mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderator: TeknoKyo

ToAsTy

Character Builds for 1.10

Post by ToAsTy » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:15 pm

Any great builds for solo AR 1.10?
Im testing out a new pally using sacfafice.
-ToAsTy-
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
-Albert Einstein

chatterbox98

Re: Character Builds for 1.10

Post by chatterbox98 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:37 pm

I've been working on a ranger pally. Right now im maxing holy shock, resist lightning, and maybe conviction. sometimes i switch to melee and use vengeance for immunes.

I'm using a 4 p emerald long war bow... 300-2000 dmg right now :)

I've tried an Avenger pally but i used way 2 much mana until i found manald heal

max resist cold, resist fire, resist lightning, conviction, and if u can, vengeance.

>>also hammer/frenzy barb... I got mine to lvl 65 before i got bored.

max double swing, mace mastery, maybe taunt, max frenzy and if u can, battle command/order cant remember which... the one with +life/mana/stamina

mine uses beast scepter thing(actual runeword... not variant) anf famine
crafted +skills items for armors
dual leech rings with +2 skills and resistance ammy
Last edited by chatterbox98 on Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quick!, you have 1 minute to live..... What are you going to do?

Dahhhhhh..... 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, 3 mississippi, 4 mississippi, 5 mississippi........

ToAsTy

Post by ToAsTy » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:32 pm

I myself found that the sacra pally was useless so I started up a necro and figured that due to the huge amount of hitpoints in AR the skills revive and corpse explosion would work wonders, even on 8 players.

i plan to put each corpse explosion, summon resist, and amplify damage to 15 and max revive and skel mastery, then spend the rest on golems (probably iron for its thorns and since it is the last pre-req for revive.)
-ToAsTy-
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
-Albert Einstein

StormNova86

Post by StormNova86 » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:15 am

One of my favourite builds is my Elemental Juggernaut. Basically a Paladin who uses Charge and Vengeance.

Essentially, I got tired of having to hunt down the little annoying pricks such as the Imps of Act 5 and the Flayers of Act 3, so I took a page out of my Assassin's/Sorceress' book. The quickest way to kill the little b@$+@rds was to get right next to them and slaughter them. Of course, the Paladin has no teleport moves, unlike the 'Sin (Dragon Flight) or the Sorc. So, the next best thing available to him, short of an item with teleport charges on it, was Charge. Ever since, the world of Sanctuary has resembled more of a messed up pinball machine, as my Paladin bounces back and forth between monsters, ricocheting between them and generally evading all of their attacks. For any that don't die the first hit, he simply switches over and blasts them with righteous Vengeance after the crowd has been cleared. Supporting Auras include: Fanaticism and Conviction. Fan ups the base damage that Vengeance works off, and Conviction helps kill anything that's immune to the elemental damage.
Appearance is often mistaken for reality. If accepted for too long, appearance then becomes reality.

ToAsTy

Post by ToAsTy » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:46 pm

Just an to update everyone on my necro build it kicks ass. With revive making monsters even MORE powerfull than they were I am having almost no trouble at all facing even hell difficulty. The only problems I've ran into so far were facing the three (Meph, D, Baal) becuase their simply just a bit too much for my minions to handle. All you have to do is simply have prevent monster heal to stop them from regenerating and then go find some more corpses. Giving my iron golem unique weapons that are of no use to me that have leach goes a long way for both the golem and my revived monions. Life leach allows it to stay alive longer and continually provide thorns. Im using amp right now as my only curse because i really have no need for anything else. Simple pouring points into summon resist and gollems allows my necro to stand back and explode corpses.

Note: In early stages of revive, corpses were hard to come by since minions die faster than in higher levels and re summoning was needed. Therefore making corpse explosion a little less effective.
-ToAsTy-
-Albert Einstein

Evil Noodle

Post by Evil Noodle » Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:04 pm

Just a follow up to the Necro build, I have one at lev 23 and it's been
easy so far....right up until I get to say hello to the extra strong / multi
shot critter in the monastery.
She only has to look at my skellies and they go down, my golem doesn't
fare much better either and a necro is a pretty lame melee character.
I have 16% life steal and going up against her is still a joke, any ideas?

ShaggyEHO

Post by ShaggyEHO » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:41 pm

What merc do you have? I'd go with a defiance merc if you don't have one of those. :mrgreen:

StormNova86

Post by StormNova86 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:54 pm

It's nothing to be ashamed of if you have to level. I personally left Act 1 at level 30 with my necro, and had to wait till I had bone spear before I killed Rakanishu... little prick killed my golems repeatedly. I never bothered with skeletons or anything of the sort, pumping up my spear and golem instead. But to take care of her, an act 2 merc with a good weapon (pick and craft a weapon from the recipe page http://www.planetdiablo.com/teknokyo/arcube.htm ) should kill pretty easily. The "Honour" variant of the runeword worked for me, and kill her in /players 1 and you should be fine.

Edit: oh, and I left out that against such monsters, the curses Dim Vision and Terror work absolute wonders. Terror forces the minions away, and Dim Vision then keeps them away. Dim Vision also kills off any other attacks unless you walk right next to the monster, and when fighting a Unique pack of ranged attackers, this cuts their numbers down to one effective, and after killing the Unique in question, the minions are a cakewalk. If you don't want to "waste" a point in Dim Vision, then by all means don't. But right down to Hell diff, it works wonders in crowd control. The curses are there for a reason, and not only the "essentials" of Amp and Lower Res.
Last edited by StormNova86 on Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appearance is often mistaken for reality. If accepted for too long, appearance then becomes reality.

ToAsTy

Post by ToAsTy » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:04 am

I just grabbed a one of those files that lets you run two copies simultaneously and killed her with a better char, same thing with andy. Once you get to act 2 your homefree because at that point you should be near lvl 30 and have at least 5-8 points in skel mastery (for revive, plus those from items) to make your lvl 1 revive (likely more from items) quite effective. I only put one point into Iron Golem to place points in mastery and revive. With this corpse explosion necro mana is key. Constantly casting explosion and reviving fallen foes to your cause takes heaps of mana. I figure that an extra 50 points in vit isnt going to help much when that only means 1 maybe 2 more hits till your death anyways, so I just jammed them into mana and I can freely use items other than those with increase max mana. All you really need is maybe 60-75 points in mana because of the increase per lvl and at least one increase maximum mana. Being out of the fray, mana leach doesnt really do you much good so it helps to have +mana after each kill stats. Casting corpse explosion at 15 mana a pop and killing 2-3 monsters each time while gaining 5 mana per kill total it quite a good trade off when you consider the amount of mana a sorc uses for the same purpose.

Nova is right, taking time to lvl the extra 6-7 levels to become powerfull enought to take a monster is worth its wait. Tough monsters are normally great experience donations so once you can kill them efficiently then they themselves become part of your exp runs. Its a never ending cycle my friend, AR is tough for new chars especially on 8 players.

With regars to the cube recipes. The reason you get the cube so early on is because your supposed to USE IT. Tek was taking sympathy upon the n00bs out there by doing this, so thank him by taking these crafts into consideration.

p.s. if your doing runs to get the runes/items you need chances are your gaining some mean experience on your way so its a win win situation.
(best advice I can give you is make one of those elemental damage charms ASAP)
Last edited by ToAsTy on Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
-ToAsTy-
-Albert Einstein

Evil Noodle

Post by Evil Noodle » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:01 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, I eventually kept casting blood golems
while nailing her with bone spear, it was close but it worked, Andariel
went much the same way.
As I never much use Necros to a high level, can anyone tell me the best way to use the Lower Resist curse? is it in combo with poison or a magic
attack?

StormNova86

Post by StormNova86 » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:52 pm

Best way to use lower resist is if you have any elemental damage on you at all. And it does affect poison damage. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything for your bone spells. A cool thing to do is to equip your merc with a bunch of the elemental damage jewels you can make (rare jewel + Ral + Ort + Thul) as many as you can through sockets, and throw in LR and you're on your way. Or creating an Iron Golem from a weapon socketed with several jewels works as well.

If you intend on working the bone spells, shaft everything else and save your points as far as possible so you can get a high level Bone Spirit and Spear ASAP. Only put points into the distractionary skills that keep you alive like a golem.

Return to “Ancestral Recall”