HP Regen Skill Not Working

Weekly updated column for helping skill development. Users can't directly post requests but a PM or mail can be sent to Skill-Clinician.

Moderator: Skill Clinician

No votes

Total votes: 0

delixer
Paladin

HP Regen Skill Not Working

Post by delixer » Mon May 09, 2005 11:46 pm

I am trying to create a passive life regeneration skill. I know I had seen an explanation on how to do this but I coulnd't find the exact article. I used the search tool extensively. Here is a copy of my skills.txt for the skill. I load up the game everything displays right except there is not life regeneration.

skills.txt

Code: Select all

Regeneration	383	ass	regeneration																																											none		hpregen	par2 * lvl																																																												1	4		none														xx				1																						30	20					Royal Strike														0	8	0	0	1	1					1														1	hp regen													1								8																																				256	1000
-- EDIT--

Please delete this post I got this working. Sorry for the post.
Last edited by delixer on Tue May 10, 2005 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joel
Dominion

Hand-picked

Moved

Post by Joel » Tue May 10, 2005 8:43 am

*This topic has been moved from General Mod Making to Skill Clinic*

No, you'll be kind to give us an insight on how you fixed it so people seeking informations about the very same problem may found it.
Last edited by Joel on Tue May 10, 2005 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

darkstarbreaker

Re: HP Regen Skill Not Working

Post by darkstarbreaker » Tue May 10, 2005 3:27 pm

been a day, and he might not be watching for the reply since he called off the hunt.

i'll use a passive as an first example.
-clone warmth row.
-change id to next id.
-change class to desired class.
-name and skilldesc as desired. i sued natural healing and natural_healing.
-scroll right to passivestate leave alone OR change to match new state you create in states.txt. (this works because warmth state has nosend set to 1, and you are not modifying the same stat with two skills using the same state)
-passivestat1 = hpregen
-passivecalc =(lvl)*2
(or in a case like delixer had prolly woulda worked with (lvl)*par#. code seems to like level first. dunno why.
-change skpoints, reqlevel,maxlvl, as desired . or leave alone.
-if you want a prerequisite skill add it to reqskill1,reqskill2,reqskill3 columns.
-much further right 2nd row past perdelay, should be passive. this should already be 1.
-even further right should be column ingame. this should also be 1 already.
-if you have made new properties adding to skills of certain etypes, or do not want this skill to get a bonus from items like magefist in vanilla d2 (+1 fire skills) you can change the etype column from fire to another value from elemtypes.txt. or leave it alone.
-if you want a shadowmaster ai pet to have this skill and treat it like a passive aitype should be 1(seems to be 1, anyways.).
-if you want to adjust the cost for this skill on items adjust cost add and cost mult fields appropriately.

-next edit skilldesc.
-clone warmth row in skilldesc.
-change skilldesc row in skilldesc txt to match skilldesc row in skills.txt.
- assign page row column to fit on your tree.
(if you test using the sorceress, go to the original warmth entry in skilldesc and change page to 0, and copy its original values for column, row, page to your new skill.
note:for testing plugy is helpful as i hate skilldesc string editing.
start a game with a new sorcy.
warmth should display on the skill in the same spot as warmth should be in.
look to plugy's first info page. a few rows under manaregeneration #
should be life replenish 0.
keep you char page open to this.
hit t for your skilltree.
add a happy point into warmth skill.
if lifereplenish goes from 0 to 2 you can follow directions.
if manaregeneration goes from 0 to 30 somethings wrong.
and if lifereplenish goes to 30 you might be a redneck. :P
and finally if nothing happens try again.
(ah that should keep the slow ones busy >;) )
for those who cre the (lvl)*2 aurastat1calc with a maxlvl of 20 would result in 20*2=40 liferegen. look to furmulae guide for ideas of other formulas one can use.

for those who like to look at examples i'll try a code segment tommorrow. my cdrw is being an evil bugger atm and i can't just copy over my skills.txt/skilldesc.txt and paste em in presently.guess when i do that i'll add the copies for doing this with enchant, and point out the aura versions obviousness (prayer), and less obviousness (srvdo18). call it six ways to heal a skinned cat when i'm done.

hope this saved someone some typin, and helped someone else.
see it in action once bfe2 gets released :P

Edit:(proving once again i can't live without that button..)
found regular cdr with copies of relevant files. posing and adding code segments.)

notes on my example. mine prerequires a skill i'm not showing you,psionpro, and has calcs that do the same thing only when that skill is lvl1 or higher.
also i am using a custom state. othewise same idea.
code for passive ,in skills.txt-

natural healing	439	sor	naturalhealing																																											psion		hpregen	(skill('psionics'.lvl)<1)?0:(lvl)*2																																																												1	0		none												SC	SC	xx																	1								0	1	40					psionics								1						0	8	0	0	1	1					1												30	increase in mana recovery	12	additional increase/level													1								8															ltng																					256	1000
note the param fields are unused.

and in skilldesc.-

naturalhealing	1	6	2	1	0	2	skillname313	skillsd313	skillld313	skillan37	StrSkill3																																																																																																						0

now for making these work as an enchant skill i have an example that grants both manaregeneration and hpregen.

i am going to assume you get the idea of how to setup skilldesc now for each new cloned and edited skill so i'll focus on skills.txt.

-start by cloning enchant. change name and skilldesc and id. i used supernatural regeneration.
-aurastate can stay enchant as some parts of enchant are based in itemstatcost, which is miles outside our focus,and making more then 1 enchant type skill work at once is also outside our focus.
-auralencalc determines the length in frames this remains active on its target. for a better understanding of the current value read the formulae guide. if you understand that 1 second in game =24 you can also set a fixed length in seconds by multiplying by 24 and entering that value here.
-change aurastat1 to manarecoverybonus if you want this enchant to do both, or to hpregen if you just want life replenish.
-change aurastatcalc1 to the amount of manarecoverybonus/hpregen you want while this is active. i used 1000 for manarecoverybonus, so i get 1000% mana regen for duration.
-if you wanted both then enter hpregen in aurastat2
-obviously you need the value for hpregen in aurastatcalc2. i used 1000 here also.
-same story as with the passive for skpoints,levelreq,maxlvl.
-also same story for reqskills columns.
- you can adjust the mana cost to cast in columns minmana, mana, manashift, manalvl.
minmana is amount of mana you must have to try to cast the skill. mana is the base cost in mana, manashift is a multiplier(look to the fileguide thread 8 = normal value. higher/lower numbers are multiplication and division of the manavalue.) and lvlmana is an amount added to the manacost or subtracted per level of the skill. lvl 1 25 lvl2 26....etc etc..
-interrupt is 1 if you can get hit or similar while casting and fail to cast the skill. its a 1 if this can happen a 0 if not.
-intown is asking if you can use the skill in town or not. 1 for yes 0 for no.
-note the passive field is blank, unlike our earlier example.
this is because we must select this skill to use it so it is an active skill. yay
passive means it won't show on your skill selection bar, and therefore can't be cast which is fine for skills that always work once they are bought but not for castable skils like this. nothing means its not passive. it wont work as a passive. don't try it.
-over to the param fields.
description helps. but remember our ln12 in auralencalc. here we see that param 1 = 3600. divide that by 24 for seconds of time. thats our base length using ln12. param 2 = 600. thats our multiplier length using ln12.
600* our skill level , added to 3600.
remember thats frames of which there are 24 a second in game terms.
if you are using ln12 still you can play with these values to adust the length and length per level of skill.
-ignore param 3 labeled missile percent with a value of 33. you may be tempted to monkey with it, but if this guide is teaching you something you didn't know, evil things will happen if you play with that value. i am writing this and don't know uite what to do with it. so no touch , or bad juju.
-over past param8, you'll see tohit, and levtohit. to this moment i don't think we need these for this skill, leave em if you want, or take em out.

- if you followed directions blindly you'll note i ignored touching aurastat3 and aurastatcalc3. those add chance to hit enemy while this skill is active
and the tohit, and levtohit, modify your chances as well, you can remove em all if you want, or leave them to increase the chance of hitting critters :P

-now we get over to etype and the emin eminlvl fields. all the way to elen
we are no longer adding fire damage.
you can remove all the bits with numbers there.
leave fire in etype and it will still get a bonus to skill level from items with modifiers like magefist(plus to fire skills). as far as i can tell you can optionally remove the etype too.
-all of it through elensympercalc with the reference to warmth can go.
you aren't presently using it.
not sure of the aitype for this kind of skill. cost add and cost mult are prices for skill on item, and again earlier in the listing you could set itemeffect to 1.if you planned to use the skill as a chance on hit/die/gethit/attack/levelup skill.

ok code . i removed my reqskills and for testing you may wish to remove them too and set skpoints to 0, so you can try it immediately.

bleh code for skills.txt.

supernatural regeneration	416		supernatural regeneration		25																	enchant		ln12		manarecoverybonus	1000	hpregen	1000																																																sorceress_enchant																																1	4		none												SC	SC	xx												1	1				1			1			sorceress_enchant		0	1	40																			1	8	25	1	1	1																	3600	duration	600	duration per level	33	missile pct									9	damage synergy	1	40	15						7																																				640	16000
i'm leaving it to you to clone the enchant skilldesc entry and set it to match name and row, and possibly set the original to page 0 so you don't have two skills in the same spot on your tree.

ok what was next. ah you can look at prayer for a normal aura granting hpregen. but what about those neat castable auras like an assassin has for fade or burst of speed(called quickness in the txts btw)???
well we will give you that now so we can complete fixing up this poor skinned cat.
i have no skills.txt entry available to paste but by now hopefully you get this in general. the first big hint is it works like the enchant clone version, but the only target is you. ever.
sooooo
-start by cloning say..fade. i like fade its pretty.change the name and skilldesc. change the id to the next number in the series.

- for your aurastate you could just keep using fade, unless you want to use this and fade, but i'm not going there with this presently . mebbe later.
-auralencalc. like the last example. this time its using param5 and param 6 with your skills level. change it if you have a reason.
-change aurastat1 to hpregen. change aurastatcalc1 to the value for it you want.
you can remove all the other aurastats,and their calcs.
now much further over we see a passivestat set to fade with a calc value of 2. this is part of what makes your assassin do that neat transparency while fade is in effect.
you can leave it if you like it. you don't need it for this to work.

and everything else we have already covered. skpoints, costs, manacosts, reqskills, etc. it even has an aitype so it could readily play nice with a shadowmaster pet.
you should also get the skilldesc bit . if not check the beautiful stickies for first fileguide for 1.10 and the skilldesc and descline reference at the top of general mod making forum.

bleh ok my carpal tunnels acting up. hope this more then fulfills joels desire in his last post. mods feel free to deuglify, or clarify as desired. my wrist is done for a few hours, and i'm a goin' home. let someone else succumb to the evil edit button this time. cheers.
:/

notes. even when i mean it i will type left handed to use the cursed edit button again. :/
my examples in code brackets at the top , imparticular the skilldesc entry use skillnamexxx,skillsdxxx,andskillldxxx entries referring to new strings i added myself. not going there for now. read the other guides. you will be fine if you leave the cloned values for these alone.
similar story for my skilldesc listing of page/row/column. they fit my testing tree. if you change the original you cloned from to page 0 and leave the values in the new one for page/row/column alone it should show up where the old one was. obviously when you learn more you can have both :P
prays i can be released from that 4 letter button to go home now for real.
sigh. /me also hopes he redeemed himself for stupid missile question joel answered nicely.
Last edited by darkstarbreaker on Tue May 10, 2005 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chaotic Good Elf Paladin Bard

-skill and toy guy for coming battle for elements release.

RicFaith
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Hand-picked

Post by RicFaith » Wed May 11, 2005 12:19 pm

heh that's a very long redemption. :)

Return to “Skill Clinic”