Question about ISC

Weekly updated column for helping skill development. Users can't directly post requests but a PM or mail can be sent to Skill-Clinician.

Moderator: Skill Clinician

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Question about ISC

Post by k0r3l1k » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:50 am

Does anybody happen to know if a too high value from a skill autastat will overflow or just rollover ISC stats?

For example, if I put 128 in ast1 for a stat the only has 7 savebits, does that increase that stat's parameter value by 1? Or possibly the next stat in ISC by 1?

Any thoughts as to if this might work?

--------------------------------------------------

Never mind, I couldn't find a way to make numbers carry over into other fields using skill auras. :(

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Re: Question about ISC

Post by Necrolis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:56 am

These are runtime stats you are referring to, they are not bound by the save limit (they are bound by the send limit when synching to the client, but thats superficial). This means there effective size is 32 bits (or 31 if you use a sign bit).
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:31 am

Right. And I tried to rollover using 32 bit values as well but the extra data isn't carried over to other saved variables so the whole excersize was pointless.

The idea is to fill param fieldsfor stat's by overflowing the stat values. Didn't work unless I missed something.

Necrolis
Senior Admin
Throne
South Africa

Hand-picked

Post by Necrolis » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:19 am

k0r3l1k" wrote:Right. And I tried to rollover using 32 bit values as well but the extra data isn't carried over to other saved variables so the whole excersize was pointless.

The idea is to fill param fieldsfor stat's by overflowing the stat values. Didn't work unless I missed something.
You can never overflow to influence adjacent bits on a system where the size of the field is the word-size of the machine (ie: adding a 32bit value to a 32bit dest/register will just cause a numerical overflow, but can't make the type bigger than it is). With encoded stats or stats the are bit packed, the process of packing them also prevents this (the data is masked and OR'd not added or subtracted).
Netiquette, Do you USE it?!?! | Nefarius' Fixed TXT Files | Terms Of Service
Blackened | Day of Death | D2GFEx
"What was yours is mine. Your land, your people, and now your life." - Lim-Dul, the Necromancer
Judgement is Final, Death is Eternal

k0r3l1k
Angel
United States of America

Post by k0r3l1k » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:05 pm

Well you learn something new every day.

Thanks.

Return to “Skill Clinic”