New Ranged Javelin Skills

Weekly updated column for helping skill development. Users can't directly post requests but a PM or mail can be sent to Skill-Clinician.

Moderator: Skill Clinician

DragonlorSCB
United States of America

New Ranged Javelin Skills

Post by DragonlorSCB » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:18 am

I've been tinkering with creating new skills. So far I've been using existing skills as a base to keep things simple.

I want to create some ranged base javelin skills that release elemental attacks upon impact but I'm having trouble finding a skill to base it off of. Say I want Charged Bolts to be released at the point of impact when a javelin hits a monster. My problem ends up being I can't find the right skill that doesn't case those charged bolts starting from the player. How can I resolve this?

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Re: New Ranged Javelin Skills

Post by Cypress » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:12 pm

This guide is handy when working with missiles: viewtopic.php?t=29595. Notably, hitfunc 51/45 (with random pathing enabled) is the only missile function I know of that results in the jagged movement of charged bolts.

DragonlorSCB
United States of America

Post by DragonlorSCB » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:25 am

Thank you. That guide is a good read but I'm having a couple issues with it.

One, a lot of the fields referenced are different than the fields I have in my Skills.txt file. A few of them I figured out the different names but not all. Two, it lists some basic combos for useful skill types but not the specific one I need.

Using the Charged Bolt arrow example again, the big problem I'm running into now is this. I target a monster and fire an arrow and it mostly does what I want, releasing charged bolts and killing stuff with those bolts (although the bolts still seem to sometimes release before the arrow even arrives). But if I just fire the arrow without targeting anything, the charged bolts will not release upon impact. So if a monster is not under my cursor when I click, the skill becomes useless.

I've tried a lot of function combos. Currently I have my "move function" as 19/11 and my "hit function" as 11/4.

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:37 pm

That guide is for missiles.txt, not skills.txt. Skills.txt only imparts some of the functions upon missiles (and the functions in skills.txt and missiles.txt are not the same). Creating a skill that shoots a missile that releases a submissile requires you to mess with missiles.txt (see: kb/viewarticle?a=364). What you are apparently doing is creating a hybrid skill, probably a hybrid of charged strike and some other skills. Charged Strike does not release submissiles from a missile, it releases missiles from a monster you are attacking (hence why you can only release missiles if you target a monster).

If you want a missile that releases submissiles on collision, look into missiles that do that in vanilla, like Exploding Arrow or Lightning Fury, then modify them to suit your purposes (e.g. if you want Lightning Fury to shoot out Charged Bolts, then clone lightningfury and change the hitsubmissile and clthitsubmissile from furylightning to chargedbolt).

Return to “Skill Clinic”