new skill that gives a item into inventory

Weekly updated column for helping skill development. Users can't directly post requests but a PM or mail can be sent to Skill-Clinician.

Moderator: Skill Clinician

ZepherZaper

new skill that gives a item into inventory

Post by ZepherZaper » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:31 pm

how would I make a new skill that just adds an item into inventory when activated such items as gold or any other type of item like armor or weapons or jewels or amulets or rings?
because I would like to make a skill that says this % chance to get (Item type goes here) when I activate the skill kinda like the barbarians find item or find potion skills only instead of adding it to the ground it would add it to inventory and did not require a monster to activate.

if I was able to make a skill like this then I would make a new item as well that characters started out with that had a skill for each type of item that can drop and a percentage of chance of getting it in the inventory and I would be able to remove all drops from mobs so that nothing ever needs to be picked up from the ground. and the skills would activate on kill of the monster so that the same loot would be just added to the inventory.

It is something I am thinking of adding to a mod I am working on.

and on a side note how would I make a secondary inventory because that is where I would want the items to generate into this will leave the main inventory uncluttered with items only the collection inventory would get filled up.

kain_abel_666
Canada

Re: new skill that gives a item into inventory

Post by kain_abel_666 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:33 pm

Let's address your second query first: short answer is no, you can't have a second inventory - not sure why you'd want one as you don't plan on having any items drop..

I would say it would be easiest for you to just have all items auto pickup instead of creating an item in inventory - I am sure it is possible to have skills that create an item for you via CE. I am not sure of your level of programming understanding but I'd say this is a high medium to advanced level idea.
I've stayed quite a while and heard what you have to say. Now it is time for the real Kain to emerge.

ZepherZaper

Post by ZepherZaper » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:42 pm

ok so how would I make items auto pick up then

kain_abel_666
Canada

Post by kain_abel_666 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:07 pm

Code editing
I've stayed quite a while and heard what you have to say. Now it is time for the real Kain to emerge.

AdiTT
Senior Moderator
Angel
Bulgaria

Post by AdiTT » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:07 am

ZepherZaper wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:31 pm
how would I make a new skill that just adds an item into inventory when activated such items as gold or any other type of item like armor or weapons or jewels or amulets or rings
I am concerned that takes away the entire 'loot' experience around which Diablo games are based. There is no fun nor experience to just add items via skill (or buying them via the-now-disgraced-and-non-existing Auction house).
Terms Of Service - Written for a reason.
D2 MOD player wrote:Sure you can exploit the game. But are you sure the game isn't exploiting you?

Return to “Skill Clinic”