How to properly add clawsofthundernova to the dragon claw?

Weekly updated column for helping skill development. Users can't directly post requests but a PM or mail can be sent to Skill-Clinician.

Moderator: Skill Clinician

Razi198

Post by Razi198 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:03 pm

I added clawsofthundernova to dragon claw in the skills.txt, but the skill hits all the monsters on the screen. The skill hits much further than clawsofthundernova's animation. How to fix it?
I changed this in skills.txt in the dragon claw line (Id: 260):
srvdofunc(column:F): 36
srvmissilea(column:R): clawsofthundernova
cltdofunc(column:CO): 10
cltmissilea(column:CT): clawsofthundernova

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Re: How to properly add clawsofthundernova to the dragon claw?

Post by Cypress » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:48 pm

Nice find Razi198! With a little bit of experimenting, it seems that's due to a hidden calc for srvdofunc=36, which increases the speed of missiles. Namely, calc1 acts as a velocity adder to the missile. If you set calc1=0, you'll notice that your cltside and srvside will become synchronized. This does mean you won't get any +dmg%, but that doesn't matter since, with the way your skill is set up, you aren't dealing attacks/hits anyways.

Razi198

Post by Razi198 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:32 pm

Cypress wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:48 pm
If you set calc1=0, you'll notice that your cltside and srvside will become synchronized. This does mean you won't get any +dmg%, but that doesn't matter since, with the way your skill is set up, you aren't dealing attacks/hits anyways.
Thanks for help. Is it possible to create such skill: dragon claw that deals physical damage together with clawsofthundernova missile that deals lightning damage? Because now, as you noticed, the skill only deals damage with the clawsofthundernova.

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:24 am

Unfortunately Razi198, it's not so easy. I messed around with it for a bit and all of my fixes were kind of broken. If you use a srvmissilea (which requires a srvdofunc), then you won't be able to deal attacks since attacks (which also require a srvdofunc), so they are mutually exclusive events. And if you use srvmissile (which doesn't require a srvdofunc), then it breaks the attack sequence, and you will only deal one attack instead of two.

The best fix I can think of would require you to cast a spell which periodically releases novas while using Dragon Claw. If you are interested, I could post an attempt at that.

Razi198

Post by Razi198 » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:22 pm

Cypress wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:24 am
if you use srvmissile (which doesn't require a srvdofunc), then it breaks the attack sequence, and you will only deal one attack instead of two.
The best fix I can think of would require you to cast a spell which periodically releases novas while using Dragon Claw. If you are interested, I could post an attempt at that.
It would be nice. I am interested.

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:20 pm

Skills.txt, new row:

Code: Select all

Extra Nova	400		delerium change	28	48					clc2							extranova-start					shiverarmor		10000																																																																			8	6					extranova-start				clc2	sparkle delay	1	sparkle radius	1	sparkle height			1	0		rng												SC	A1	SC	23	12																								18	20					Blade Sentinel	Wake of Fire Sentry							1	1				0	0	0	0	0	1			1	1								10	bonus "attack" delay			(stat('action'.accr)==1)?(0):(100)	conditional	0	"Don't Use, missile range mod"	0	"Don't Use, missile range mod"	6	Min Mana to start casting	5	Frame delay between blades									1								8	128													pst4*skill('physb'.ast3)/100+skill('physb'.ast4)	phys																			5		640	8000
Skills.txt, replace Dragon Claw:

Dragon Claw	260	ass	dragon claw	32	46												null					anim			25	action	1																										ln12 + skill('Claw Mastery'.blvl)*par8																								assassin_kick_1																								clc3	attack rate bonus							1	0		h2h	3	h2h					h2h					SQ	A1	xx	16			1		1	1								1		1	1			1	1				6	20					Dragon Talon								1						1	8	2	0	1					1					pst3*skill('physb'.ast5)/100	damage%		drain damage		attack rate bonus		elem conversion%	50	% Damage bonus	5	% damage per level											4	damage synergy	1	40	25						8	128														phys																			4		384	3000
Itemstatcost.txt, new row:

action	385		1	15													1024																																			0
Missiles.txt, new rows:

extranova-start	708	50		28					0	damage freq (0 = look at skill)	0	radius (0 = look at skill)	0	start frame	2	end frame	30	lob			0	damage freq (0 = look at skill)	1	radius (0 = look at skill)	0	start frame	2	end frame	30	lob																											2				0	0	0	0	0	1	null	1024	30	16					8																	1																																																								1								extranova-hit							extranova-hit							0
extranova-hit	62	1	4	1	5																												1	64/missiles to release							1	64/missiles to release															1				0	0	0	0	0	1	null	1024	5	16					8																	1											1																																													1											clawsofthundernova							clawsofthundernova				0
Extra Nova icon/description looks like the Delerium skill in game, cast it and you will get a Shiver Armor looking buff. When you attack with Dragon Claw while Extra Nova is active, you will gain +1 action stat, which will make the Extra Nova start its functionality and release novas. I think it works really well, although graphically the nova sometimes collapses on itself, which looks a bit weird.

It is fun to note that this system is probably (haven't tried it myself) powerful enough to mostly softcode/simulate charge-ups, allowing you to do things like gain charge-ups periodically, release charge-ups with a specific skill and/or event, and have D2R-style stats which allow for a chance to keep charges.

You can also find an explanation here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67397, which describes most of what I did. The only real difference was that I had to hybridize Dragon Claw with Bash so that it could support aurastates while attacking.

Razi198

Post by Razi198 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:37 pm

Cypress wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:20 pm
It is fun to note that this system is probably (haven't tried it myself) powerful enough to mostly softcode/simulate charge-ups, allowing you to do things like gain charge-ups periodically, release charge-ups with a specific skill and/or event, and have D2R-style stats which allow for a chance to keep charges.
I've been looking for this for a long time: especially:
1) gain charge-ups periodically
2) have D2R-style stats which allow for a chance to keep charges. If you can do it, then it will be great. Can you try to do it? Because now charge-ups skills are not useful to use at all.

Cypress
Champion of the Light

Post by Cypress » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:51 pm

Hi Razi198, I figured out how to do charge-ups periodically. It's actually very easy. Charge-ups work even when used by some other skills. So you can for example give Claws of Thunder srvdofunc=65, periodic=1, perdelay=1. And also set aurastatcalc1=min(stat('progressive_lightning'.accr)+1,3) so that the charges build up. Or if you just want to have maxed charges all the time, set it to a value of 3. It's a lot of fun to play around with. I made a section in my skill guide (viewtopic.php?t=66934) describing the different functions that can build-up/set charge-ups under [CHARGE-UPS]. You can also cast to build charge-ups, like with the Frozen Armor function, allowing you to build charges without needing monsters.

Here's an example skill (might have a few weird settings on it since I was experimenting a lot):

Claws of Thunder	269	ass	claws of thunder		65	1		36	37			par1	4				null	clawsofthundernova	clawsofthunderbolt			progressive_lightning		2000	25	progressive_lightning	3	progressive_tohit	par4	fireresist	22																				skill('Royal Strike'.blvl)*skill('Claws of Thunder'.par8)		skill('Royal Strike'.blvl)*skill('Claws of Thunder'.par8)				(skill('Royal Strike'.blvl)) * par8																																					10	11			clawsofthundernova	clawsofthunderbolt										1	0		rng	3	h2h										SC	A1	xx	16			1			1								1		1	1			1	1				18	20					Fists of Fire								1						1	8	0	0	1		1	1	1	1		1											4	skip			375	duration	50	tohit bonus for each charge-up							8	damage synergy	1	15	7						8	128														ltng	1	0	0	0	0	0	80	20	40	60	80	100	pst5*skill('ltngb'.ast1)/100+skill('ltngb'.ast2)						4		640	16000
Note that this example is very powerful since it is updating per frame, and thus builds 8.33 charges per second.

As for my previous idea on charge-ups, it probably isn't actually any good since it (if it even works, I don't have it working yet) is only capable of releasing missile functions, while proper charge-ups can release all sorts of skill and missile functions.

And although you probably can't make a "chance to keep charges" with an aura charge-up, you could add in a stat that increases the rate of charge build-up, or which gives a random chance to max out charges every second. Or if you are using a cast-to-build-charges, then you could have a stat which gives a chance to give maxed out charges with a single cast.

Razi198

Post by Razi198 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:07 pm

Awesome, didn't believe it could be done with Skills.txt. Maybe we can change finishing moves to make them like charge-up skills. Or we can change charge-up skills to make them work like Feral Rage or Maul, as I wanted in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=66334. Need to try.
Cypress wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:51 pm
So you can for example give Claws of Thunder srvdofunc=65, periodic=1, perdelay=1. And also set aurastatcalc1=min(stat('progressive_lightning'.accr)+1,3) so that the charges build up. Or if you just want to have maxed charges all the time, set it to a value of 3.
This build up 3 charge-ups in 1 hit. And changing Claws of Thunder to srvdofunc=35, periodic=1, perdelay=10, aurastatcalc1=3, works like an auto-hit. It's very interesting what else we can do.

Return to “Skill Clinic”