Odin’s Runeword Mod

Information and updates for the Odin's Runeword Mod by mishy23. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. The mod has been discontinued by the author

Moderator: mishy23

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Odin’s Runeword Mod

Post by Myhrginoc » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:15 am

Many mods aim for a total conversion, but you can go a long way with a narrow focus. Here Mishy23 upends the item hierarchy, which will seriously affect your equipment strategy!

Odin’s Runeword Mod

Introduction
Hello, My name is Mishy, username: Mishy23, and I have been around the Phrozen Forums since 1.10 came out, absorbing all the knowledge that I could. And finally after much planning I started designing a mod to do the one thing I thought Blizzard left unfinished, Runewords. Well without further adieu, the details…

Project Title (tentatively): Odin’s Runeword Mod

Modders: Mishy23

Patch: 1.10final Diablo 2 Exp.

Background Information:
While this is not a mod full of eye candy, and major code edits, this mod started humbly editing runewords, as Blizzard put all this code in for their use in the expansion, then barely implemented anything past thirty-some runewords, with rare runes that most average players will never see. Even with the uniquely added runewords in 1.10 final I was disappointed to say the least. As I added runewords, a thought came to me, I wanted a mod that every conceivable combination of Runes would form their own Runeword. Impossible you say? Well think again.

Background Story:
The reason the mod is tentatively called ‘Odin’s Runeword Mod’ is unlike Vanilla D2, where players fought to stop the prime evils, armed with magic and legendary (unique/set) items named after unmentioned heroes of the past, in this mod, there are No unique or set items (gasp), but the players are not left defenseless against the hordes of demons, instead The all-knowing unspoken god, Odin (not even spoken of in the entire story of diablo2!) left magical runes all over the lands, waiting for heroic adventurers to discover and to use for the forces of good.

ITEMS
-No Unique or Set Items. All items spawn as normal, superior, magic or rare items (magic/rare drops are improved).
-All items spawn with 2 sockets no matter the type. (Except rings, amulets, charms)
-40 ‘power’ runes, all newly named and with new basic stats.
-15 broken runes that must be cubed together to form power runes. (only power runes form runewords, broken runes take the place of gem drops)
-Runes drops are extremely more common, though the higher runes from 35-40 will only drop in HELL Difficulty.
-All runewords are 2 runes in length, but all possible combinations will form a unique runeword. This mod will have 3280 UNIQUE runewords!!! Also, order will not matter. (Rune1+Rune2 is the same as Rune2+Rune1).
-Every rune combination has 4 different runewords. One that works in all weapons, and one that works in all armours. One rare runeword that works in only one type of weapon, and one rare runeword that works in only one type of armour. The rare runewords are obviously more powerful. (Not all runewords are complete yet, this is where most of the work on the mod will need to be done, 3000some runewords are hard to create over night, but I am adding more every day)
-This mod uses many oskill, +skills, and hit-skills in the runewords.
-Remember runes stack with the mods already spawned on magic and rare items, creating millions of unique items.
-Charms only drop as small or large now.
-Charm affixes are changed, all suffixes are actually +1 to specific skill, while prefixes boost different stats (str, dex, hp, mana, resists, etc…)

SKILLS
-Skills are still the same as Vanilla D2, with some minor name changes.
-Synergy’s will be massively changed. Now all skills will have at least 2 synergy skills that will change how many skills are used. (This is not complete yet)
-Max skills level is now only 10! This will diversify skill placement, but remember charms grant +to skills, as do many runewords! It will still be possible to have levels as high as 20-30, but equipment will play a higher role in skills, this also will make sure synergies do not become over powerful, but don’t worry they will still be useful.
-Skills damage and costs will be majorly rebalanced, and will be more powerful at lower levels. (This is not complete yet)

MONSTERS
-No plans to add new monsters are in the works.
-Monsters will only slightly be modified, including boosts to hp/dmg/ar/def in norm and nm. Plans are the following: Norm x2.5, NM x1.5
-Future plans will be to add equipment to some monsters to create some interesting hit-skill effects.

MAPS
-No plans to change any maps are in the works, though after runewords are completed, I might get tempted to learn mapping.

MISC
-New Runeword graphics.
-Fixed color codes so that items display colors more vibrantly and correctly.
-Rebalance of Affixes and levels.
-Inventory will purposely be kept at normal standards, otherwise Charms will be overpowered. I possibly will increase stash size, but definitely will not increase inventory.

NEWS
Obviously I am not ready for public release, but am well on way into ALPHA testing phase. With Balancing and Runeword creation being the major workload.
I am definitely open to suggestions to make this mod more enjoyable. Thanks for your time.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
~ Mark Twain
Run Diablo II in any version for mods: tutorial
The Terms of Service!! Know them, abide by them, and enjoy the forums at peace.
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Re: Odin’s Runeword Mod

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:26 pm

This sounds like a mammoth task! 3000+ runewords is going to be a real strain especially when choosing names :cry:

Good luck on your project Mishy!
I choose my physician and my clergyman, thus indicating my sense of the quality of their work. By all means, also, choose your modmaker; that is the proper reward of the good modmaker, to be 'chosen.'

Terms of Service:Beginners Guide:TTD:Tech Rant: TFW The Awakening

Alkalund
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Alkalund » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:11 pm

If in need of runeword names, there is our 'Naming Resources' section on the Keep to get you started:

kb.php?mode=cat&cat=23

;)

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:20 pm

Hello!
I figure I should give a progress report, I will try to update once a week!
My plans are to release a beta once I am sucessfully done with normal dificulty (which will mean I will only need half the runewords done), and hopefully some interested people will help me flush out any bugs and balance problems.

Progress for 4/23

Also since rings have seen to add very little so far, I am adding the suffixes designed for charms to appear on rings. Meaning they can spawn with + to individual skills, while only +1 appear on charms, ring suffixes will allow all individual skills to spawn from +1 to +3

All synergies will be based off the total skills, not just invested points making all these +to individual skills help synergies as well as being able to have synergies for oskills.

So far the mod is coming together well, while more on the powerful end of mods, at the same time I feel the difficulty in the end will make it enjoyable. Hell will still be HELL!

And if anyone is bored, feel free tosubmit any runeword ideas you have, Most runewords do not have more than 4 to 5 mods, as you can combine these with rares that already have 6 affixes as it is. And becareful making basic armor ones too strong as they can be worn in multiple pieces.
If I am missing any information anyone is looking for, let me know.
-MISHY

EDITTED 04/26/04
<<SKILLS EDITTING WAS SCRAPPED>>

Well... until next update.

UPDATE 4/29
XXX
-40 more runewords added.
-Slight balances to drops (rune drops increased)
-Jewels readded (see below)
-Added staffmods for each class to some items. (Actually not staffmods, made with automagic, spawns one random skill at +1 to +3)
Sorc items- Staffs/Rods/Circlets
Barb items- Throwing Axes/Hammers/Barb Helms
Paldin Items - Sceptres/Auric Sheilds
Druid - Druid Pelts/Wands! (Wands do higher damage, but more for caster druids)
Necromancer - Knives/Necro Heads
Amazon - Amazon Spear/Amazon Jav/Amazon Bow/Arrows!
(Arrows don't spawn with any other modifers, but have a chance to have +1 to +3 to a specific skill, atm they still spawn with spear skills, will try to rectify)
Assassin - Claws(All claws no matter the level)/Jewels!
(Jewels spawn with magic modifiers + automagic of +1 to +3 of a single asn skill, this means assassins can save up some mondo +skills to socket in their equipment, but at the price of sacrificing spots for runewords.)
-Adjusted costs so that +skills from automagic does not raise price of equipment.
-Not complete yet, but working on getting Experience Elixirs to drop, will add to treasure class so that when gold drops, their is a 10% chance it will be an elixir that you can click on to get bonus XP)
-Increased HP of monsters even more for normal, for balance
Last edited by mishy23 on Fri May 21, 2004 3:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
{Modding status: Project X}

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Sat May 01, 2004 7:56 pm

Druid synergies? Well I am always {filtered}' about Blizzards lack of synergies on the Animal side of teh druid...

(omg teh)

Summon Spirit wolves gains:
All previous synergies
+2% damage per level from Werewolf
+1 extra wolf every 4 levels in lycanthropy

Summon Dire wolves gains
+2% damage per level from Werewolf
+1 extra wolf every 6 levels in lycanthropy

Summon grizzly gains
+3% damage per level from Werebear
+1 extra bear every 10 levels in lycanthropy

Oak sage gains
+1% more life per level from Heart of the Wolferine
+1% more life per level from Spirit of Barbs
+3 all resistances per level of Cyclone Armour
(this is the life of the spirit)

Same for the other spirits but

Heart of Wolverine
+2% more damage per level from werewolf

Spirit of Barbs (up the damage returns also)
+5% damage reflection from Werebear

Shape Shifting Skills

Werewolf
+2% attack rating per level of Spirit Wolves
+2% more life bonus per level of Spirit of Barbs
+1% damage per level of Dire Wolves

Werebear
+3% Damage per level of Grizzly
+3% More life bonus per level of Spirit of Barbs
+1% All resists per level of Cyclone Armour (reason to use bear for once ;) )

Maul
+5% stun time per level of Shockwave
+1% life leech per level of Hunger (bitey skill forgot name ;) )

Shockwave
+2% more damage per level of Maul
+1% damage converted to fire per level of Fire claws (similar to what berserk gives barb skills)

Hunger
+5% damage per level of Fury
+5% damage per level of Maul

Fury
+1% damage converted to fire damage per level of Fire Claws

Just some suggestions :)

NECROMANCER

The Bone synergies are quite good as they are.

Some Cure Ideas

Iron Maiden
+10% damage returned per level of Attract
+5% damage returned per level of Iron Golem

Attract
+1 second length per level of Iron Maiden
+1 second length per level of Confuse

Confuse
+1 second length per level of Attract
+1 second length per level of Dim Vision

Decrepify
+2% damage per level of amp damage
+2% less damage per level of weaken
+2% slow target per level of Clay Golem

Amp damage
+3% damage per level of Decrepify
+1 yard radius per level of Corpse explosion

Weaken
+3% less damage per level of decrepify

Lower Resist
+2% lower res per level of Corpse Explosion
+3% lower res per level of Poison Explosion

Summon Skills

Raise Skele
+1% life leech per level of life tap
+ some poison damage per level of Poison Dagger
+12 defense per level of Iron golem

Raise Skele mage
+2% extra poison damage per level of poison nova
+2% extra fire damage per level of fire golem
+10 defense per level of Iron golem

Revive
+2 second duration per level of Skeleton mastery
+2 second duration per level of Iron Maiden

Hope they inspire you :)
Last edited by GuyAskingQuestion on Sun May 02, 2004 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
I choose my physician and my clergyman, thus indicating my sense of the quality of their work. By all means, also, choose your modmaker; that is the proper reward of the good modmaker, to be 'chosen.'

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Sun May 02, 2004 6:29 pm

I love the ideas, especially the cross interaction between summons and shape shifting branch.
I will probably play with the numbers and switch around a few things, but you definately gave me something to start with.

I guess while i'm here, a small update.
No major news, mostly playing around with different files.
I have reduced all cost of items, mostly I want money to be found, rather then from selling items.
Experience potions are working, sort of.
Balanced some skills, holy fire especially was ovrkill.
Changed density of monsters in some areas.
Mostly been busy code editting a few things that the people in the code editting forum have been helping with.
And spent all yesterday trying to recover mysystem from the newest incarnation of the WORM_SASSER.A virus, watch out for this thing, it was nasty, but after a few windows updates and some virus killing, everything is good now.

Well today I plan a full day of editting, so i'll update what i got done when i'm done.
-Mishy

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Tue May 04, 2004 5:07 pm

"have reduced all cost of items, mostly I want money to be found, rather then from selling items. "

You might want to look into changing the maximum sell value to a lower number, or making items sell for less but cost the same.

The first is pretty simple (well in 1.09 I remember it was), but I don't know about the second.

Always glad to help :)

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Wed May 05, 2004 4:47 pm

Great Idea, I went through and lowered all the affixes values to be very low, but you are right I think If i just lower the maximum selling price, it would better serve my purpose.
I'll search the forums for this,
thanks, for some reason this never crossed my mind.

Anyway quick update:
Not much to say, I keep getting side tracked, and keep putting off working on some more class skills, but atleast all my ideas are coming together.
Well here's my to-do list if that helps show where I am at:
When these are finished, my mod will be ready for a beta test.

-155 of 210 runewords still needed to be done (this will take care of all runewords for normal difficulty i.e. up to rune#20 out of 40
-Finish Code edit to change tier levels for skills, had some great help in code edit forum, even had a plugin made for exactly what I want, but since I have a few other code edits that don't use SVR's D2mod.dll, so I either wait until I can plugin all my changes, or keep all my code edits done personally i.e. slowly and carefuly. Waiting to see how well D2Mods.dll takes off.
-Rework prices, lower maximum sell price instead
-Increase runedrops for later ACTS, drops are good for act1, later treasure classes need to be straightened out, I am aiming for about a 35% for a superuniqe to drop a rune.
-Add new original rune graphics for runes 33-40, and for the 15 lesser runes
-Cube recipes for rune upgrades will be changed
-Add system for gambling runes (almost finished)
-Skill synergy changes for BAR/AMA/ASN/NEC/DRU/SOR (PAL done, and working)
-Monster balance (will increase hp, but waiting for skills to be done for balancing purposes)
-Add XP potions (almost done) values of 500, 1000, 5000, 10000 and 25000. Will be able to be bought at higher levels, will be very pricey. Possibly add cube recipes to create them from outdated items you no longer want.
-Tinker with monster colors by adding color states, just for alittle dash of eye candy. I still am dead set against new monsters imported from other games.
-Change Hirelings slightly for balance purposes.
-Increase inventory, or just go with PlugY plugin
-In the end I might add new item graphics.

If anyone has any cool ideas to help my mod be more fun, let me know.
-Mishy

EDIT 5/13/04
I have had obligations that have slowed me down,
but rather than slow my work down to a crawl,
I have decided to stick with the original intent of the mod,
I have decided to scrap all further skill changes, and will resort back to
vanilla 1.10 skills. Everyone other mod is way more advanced in this field than I am anyways.
But this means I have alot more time to work on the runewords, and other item improvements.
So this should speed up how fast I am able to complete a working project.

If there is any information anyone wants involving rune stats, or runeword information, or anything else I am working on I would be pleased to post it.
-Mishy
Last edited by mishy23 on Thu May 13, 2004 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Fri May 14, 2004 4:41 am

You certainly know best what you would be comfortable working on. But returning to your original idea is probably a good thing; feature creep is the bane of many projects, not just D2 mods.

Good luck!
~ Mark Twain
The Beginner's Guide v1.4: (MS Word | PDF) || Mod Running Scripts || TFW: Awakening

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Fri May 14, 2004 3:41 pm

I like your attitude about monsters from other games :twisted:

I have similar opinions about monsters/items from other games, I only put them in if I think they are of the same style and standard as the original graphics.

I hate it when you have a contrast of graphical styles, I find mods like that rather a mess. *cough* TFW 1.01 *cough* thank god they removed many of them in 1.02...

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Odin's Runeword Mod

Post by mishy23 » Mon May 17, 2004 6:52 am

I hit a brick wall.

One of the improvements I wanted in my mod was more vibrant colors.
I was suceeding for a while, most affixes created colorful items.
But I have the problem that when you create a runeword it is stripping the color of the item, and leaving it colorless.

I brought this up in the mod forum, and the best advice was to change how the runes are transforming color.

I found out the transform colors (in gems.txt) will effect the color of adding the runes to a grey socketed item, but it is not overwriting the color of the item. if it is already colored from being a magic or rare item.
But when I complete a runeword, bam, color gone..
Anyone have an idea if there is a way to stop this.

Since playing my mod will make it so all your items will be runewords in all probability, it would suck to have everything drab in color. unless you dont runeword an item.

I see nothing in runes.txt, itemtypes.txt, armor/weapons/misc.txt to help this.

The only other idea I have but dont know how to implement, is possibly adding a property to each runeword that adds the color, is there a way to do this? I thought I found it but found I was only effecting the light radius color, not the item color.

Maybe i'm just not seeing the easy answer, or maybe I ran into a roadbloack.

Any help appreciated.

And Guy, thats defiantely how I feel, I don't like how it makes the game seem when you got different graphic styles interacting.
And the monster sizes half the time don't add up right when plugged in from other games, even diablo 1 style.
Man wish I had creative abilities to draw my own art sometimes...
Oh well, eye candy goes so far, I'd rather keep the monsters in the game how they are and have them surprise you with new abilities and AI

-Mishy

UPDATE 5/18
weee...I have more time lately to work on the mod.
Here is what has recently been done and is planned:

SKILLS: scrapped remaking them, though spent all day yesterday with slight balances, a little extra damage here and there for weaker skills at higher levels. The only major change is the following: BERSERK, now grants 33% damage reduction while in berserk mode (the code was just lying there begging to be used), so you will get hit, but you will take less phy damage. The berserk mode lasts a little longer now though.

RUNES: Gambling has given me problems, have it set up perfectly, but can't fix the variable gambling cost with different level runes. I believe I will no longer have runes be able to be gambled. A side benefit is I have my mystery runes all coded in (Blank runes, that morph into a real rune when right clicked on) I will find a use for these, any ideas welcome. Possibly will set up some special monster that will drop them, or cube recipes. Oh yeah I have graphics for all 70 of my runes now (only 40 form runewords the other 30 all have blank rune pictures and will be used for cube recipes and rune upgrades)

ITEMS: All automagic is done, and I'm happy with it for now, tonight I will focus on affix balancing, but it shouldn't be anything major. I definately want some nice rare items though. I am still having problems with the COLOR codes on my items being lost when forming runewords, I think I have to swallow my pride and just go on and forget about the cool colors I had planned.

RUNEWORDS: I keep plodding along here, though I really want to get all the other stuff done then concentrate here. I have alot of testing needed to be done seeing what skills can work as cast-on-hit and so on. So far succesfully have armors granting abilities like BOC, bone armor and thunderstorm when struck, and weapon wise have some neat bow effects from casting spells on attack.

MONSTERS: HP was boosted as characters are stronger at lower levels, but I am not happy with the damage they do, I will be boosting this very soon, as well as adding some modifiers in monequip. I want this mod to be hard but with lots of rewards.

Did I leave anything out?

EDITTED 05/21/04
Endless days of adding Runewords can really tire you out,
But why I'm posting is that I have exhausted my brain of fresh runeword ideas (temporarily, no fear).
So I want to extend an invitation out to the public, if you have any ideas for runewords submit them now, either through email to me (myrddhin23@yahoo.com) or post right here.
And if it looks good and balanced I will use it for this mod.
No need to name the runes, just the item type(s) and modifiers and name.
All runeword names will be named after their creator. (i.e. Mishy's Determination)
Hope to see some good ones!
-Mishy23
Last edited by mishy23 on Fri May 21, 2004 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

InkSpot
Paladin

Post by InkSpot » Sat May 22, 2004 10:13 pm

Odins Mjoelner (odin's hammer's name is Mjoelner)
Battle Hammer 4 sockets

50 chance to cast lvl 8 blessed hammer
lvl 3 concentrate aura when equipped
175% enchanced dmg
20% increased attack speed
5% life leec
5% mana leech
adds 1-500 lightning dmg

Thats my proposal :)
[fade]May the light show you the right path![/fade]
I think therefore i am...

WarWolf
Paladin

Re: Odin?s Runeword Mod

Post by WarWolf » Sun May 23, 2004 8:26 am

Woah this mod sounds like fun :)

I agree with you to leave the skills alone, i dont like it when mods have diffrent skilltrees, that means i have to think again when skilling my chars :)

I also agree with you not adding custom monsters, they dont do anything at all. They just make the file size bigger...

Hm, the color issue... Did you ever play Sir Generals Rune mod? I played it for about 3 hours :) What I can remember were Stone thingys with diffrent colors. I dont remember how it exactly worked, but i think you right clicked on the stone and then on one of your items, and -bang- it had the color of the stone. You could buy those stones from vendors... But I am not sure if this also works on runeword items...

Myhrginoc
Retired Admin
Cherub
United States of America

Hand-picked

Post by Myhrginoc » Sun May 23, 2004 5:16 pm

SG's Rune Mod has a lot of custom code in it (he wrote his own DLL), so his approach is probably not too easy to adapt to other mods.
~ Mark Twain

WarWolf
Paladin

Post by WarWolf » Sun May 23, 2004 9:26 pm

Hm but maybe something like that could be easier accomplished now with PlugY and d2mod.dll around... dunno, I have no knowledge at all about code editing :) it was just an idea i had

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Mon May 24, 2004 7:29 pm

Hello,

I like the hammer idea, I already planned something like that of course as the mod is named odin's runeword mod :)
Though thor is the one withhammer so i'll name it Thor's Mjoelner (i'll check spelling)
Will be high level runeword like your mods will probably go with them
maybe check off ml or ll and add crushing blow.

I am checking into adding dyes for color change, half my testing lately have been into this. Thanks for all the feedback it keeps the modder working hard, I have been adding more runewords and constant testing for difficulty,
the biggest difficulty change so far is adding more dense monsters and larger groups. Champions are tuff in this mod i'm liking it so far, and den of evil is dense enough that you probably can't complete it right away, and have to go back there after aquiring some initial low level runwords to help.
Rune drops are nice so far., equivalent to gem drops in other mods.

Oh yeah cut my power runes down to 32 instead of 40, just because there is a 4092 limit on runewords and needed to reduce some.

Will be posting runes and their mods soon.

A few questions for everyone out there,
Anyone know why a few simple spells won't work with chance to cast properties.
For some reason lightning doesn't work, yet chain will, i cant figure that out.
Also blade shield won't work through items, ashame.
Well back to modding
As always, new runeword ideas are welcome.
-Mishy23
Last edited by mishy23 on Mon May 24, 2004 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Tue May 25, 2004 11:43 am

If you've ever played Sacred, I can tell you that the item graphics work wonderfully under d2. The style is so much like Diablo's, at the moment my new item types mainly come from that game! :mrgreen:

There is a file containing the items in the file centre, but I can't remember which :S

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Tue May 25, 2004 3:15 pm

Thanks for the info, I will definately look into that.
I have never played Sacred, and I am looking for decent graphics that
work well for my mod.

Well i'm stuck at work, promise to post runes and rune stats when I am home this afternoon.

-Mishy

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Fri May 28, 2004 11:34 pm

If your making more monsters spawn, your overpowering area of effect skills. So it would be wise to boost single target spells and most melee skills to make them compairable damage-wise.

Or you can add afew monster types that only spawn one/two monsters, but are much tougher and give better exp ;)

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:04 pm

1 step ahead of you.
I have boosted many melee and single targeted abilities,
while leaving almost all area fo effect skills as they are.
Only skill weakened has been frozen orb, for its obvious brokenness with large groups.

Thanks for advice though!

The sorc will not be all powerful and rule this mod,
With the runeword items, so far the earlier levels are way easier with the equipment based set-ups (barb, pal)

EDIT 06/02
I only ever get to post when at work, sorry, it means I dont have my mod in front of me to post any details.
But work is coming along well.
Almost all balance work is complete,
I like the XP rate, the monster HP/DEF/AR/DMG
Now its just plugging in new runewords constantly, I only have been getting about 10 or so a day when I work on the mod, as I want to test that everything is working.

So if you want any personalized runwords (i.e YOURNAME's WHATEVER)
go ahead and post something, but only use between 3-6 mods in total.

Oh yeah, color is looking decent so far. No more drab colors.
My favorite so far is my competely black amazon eq i'm toting.
I wish the runes could have more affect on the color, but they won't color change any eq that is magic or rare, only grey items.
But almost all modifiers force color changes so far, so good.

Hopefully I don't to weary of creating more runewords;)
Last edited by mishy23 on Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hades
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Hades » Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:45 pm

You have some nice idea's there for this mod.I think it will be a nice change for everyone when you are done.Keep up the great work.I hate making runewords,personally but I give you full credit and respect for making a mod with over 3000 runewords.Impressive ;)
Good luck
Nuff said
Hades :reallyscary:
Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years,
Face up...make your stand
And realise you're living in the golden years

GuyAskingQuestion
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by GuyAskingQuestion » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:14 pm

[quote=Hades";p="176463"]You have some nice idea's there for this mod.I think it will be a nice change for everyone when you are done.Keep up the great work.I hate making runewords,personally but I give you full credit and respect for making a mod with over 3000 runewords.Impressive ;)
Good luck
Nuff said
Hades :reallyscary:[/quote]

I don't mind making runewords, but I always get the feeling that no-one will use them, due to the extra work needed... but Odns got the solution here :D

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:16 pm

Okay, just a quick post here, since I have removed all unique items,
I was thinking to use some of them unique item graphics to be the base image for the exceptional and better items. Just for variety.
I think this should be rather easy to add.
Anyone think this a good idea? bad idea? no idea?

EDIT:
Oh yeah, my brain is fried from creating runewords,
I am running out of themes/new ideas to create for weapons.
Maybe there are players out there that can help me:
What types of properties do you like to see on weapons.

EDIT 07/02/04:
I haven't said anything in awhile, just wanted to let everyone know I have been unable to work on anything for awhile let alone free time for modding. Some nasty spring time flu caught me offguard and
decided to throw in some pneumonia, as if I wasn't feeling bad enough already. Hopefully I'll feel up to modding some more soon. I'm not just gonna let this dream of mine die off, even if no one is interested.
Take care everyone.
-Mishy
Last edited by mishy23 on Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WarWolf
Paladin

Post by WarWolf » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:44 am

Nice to hear that you are better now.

But, Dude, what was that? No one is interested? I am, and that is all that counts! ;) And you have to realize that your mod is still under development, there are not many people that get excited about mods under development, because, as most of us know, about 70% of the mods here will never be finished.
Therefore, once you have your mod released, people really will be excited, as I am when I think about your mod. I always liked runewords, they give you the impression that you really "created" this item, not just found it.

Oh, and if doing this much runewords is too boring, maybe you could release an alpha, so that i can test it for a couple of hours? :D And when a beta is released you will also get attention and feedback from other people.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:01 pm

Hey thanks for the encouragement, I am definately thinking of releasing a alpha once I get enough runewords completed to work for the entire
Normal difficulty.

The number of runewords needed is increasing exponentially once I work my way up to the higher runes, to make completion an actually goal, I am pondering after normal difficulty, of adding clue scrolls to cut down on the number of runwords needed.

Example - Right now all rune combinations need 4 runewords. One for all weapons, one for all armous, one for a specific weapon (that is more powerful and rare than the one for all weapons), and one for a specific armour type.

I am thinking once I get to nightmare difficulty runes, to take away the generic runewords that work in all weapons and armor, but to add clue scrolls so you are wasting runes trying to figure out the right itemtypes,
and the clue scrolls would drop pretty regularly (probably add them in the junk treasure classes usually reserved for arrows and potions).

The generic Runewords have been pretty weak and pathetic anyways, but i don't know, I kinda like the idea of getting a really weak runewords.

Well right now I have tons of material i've written down from weeks spent in bed. So now I just gotta get into data entry mode and plug the info into the spreadsheets, and test to get out the errors (which always appear no matter how good of a typer I think I am).

Well back to work for me.
-Mishy

EDIT 7/7/04

Okay finally here is the post with the rune names and abilities.
Gloves are socketted as weapons, belts are socketted as torso armour, and boots are socketed as shields.

NAME - weapon/armor/shield abilities
1-Feh +20mana/+20hp/+20def
2-Mal str+5
3-Thor dex+5
4-Ang vit+5
5-Rath eng+5
6-Ken cold dmg 14-16/10 cold res/15 cold res
7-Geb ltng dmg 1-32/10 ltng res/15 ltng res
8-Wun fire dmg 10-20/10 fire res/15 fire res
9-Nan pois dmg 20 over 2s/10 pois res/15 pois res
10-Ish red mag 4/4/5
11-Jer red dmg 4/4/5
12-Alg LL 5%/regen life+10/heal per kill 4
13-Sow ML 5%/regen mana+20%/mana per kill 4
14-Tew res all 10/10/12
15-Ber all stats +9/10/8
16-Eld ease -25/-25/-20
17-Man IAS +20%/FHR +20%/Block Spd +20%
18-Lag -25ac per hit/monster flee 20%/-10% to enemy ac
19-Dag no heal
20-Oth FCR 10%
21-Val pierce-cold 10/max cold res 5/abs-cold 10%
22-Fal pierce-ltng 10/max ltng res 5/abs-ltng 10%
23-Mor pierce-fire 10/max fire res 5/abs-fire 10%
24-Aod pierce-pois 10/max pois res 5/reduce pois length 50%
25-Myth all-skills +1
26-Char gold find +50%/+35%/+40%
27-Sin magic find +35%/+20%/+25%
28-Sor slow 20/10/10
29-Kyr dmg all elements 1-100/1-50/1-75
30-Tir enhanced damage 50/40/40
31-Dinh additional exp +7%/+5%/+6%
32-Odin hp +25%/+30%/+25%

Any thought or comments appreciated.
Maybe if i'm feeling creative I will set up a web page and have some pics on it some way. Oh and ignore my earlier rambling, no clue scolls, i want every combination to form a runeword even if its only bonus is +1light source!
Last edited by mishy23 on Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Odin's Runeword Mod”