Skills update

Information and updates for the Odin's Runeword Mod by mishy23. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. The mod has been discontinued by the author

Moderator: mishy23

No votes

Total votes: 0

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Skills update

Post by mishy23 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:51 am

Current as of 10/03/04
This thread is for all skills information and discussion, I will keep this first post current to show where I am with skill changes for the next patch.

SORC - 100%
Sorc skills are completely done, including all graphical changes.
tidbits-sorcs have the biggest overhaul of all classes, lots of pointless spells have been removed or made better, they even get a summons, ice familar.

DRUID - 100%
Druid skills are completely done, some graphical changes are still ocurring, and playtesting is being done to validate that they are working.
tidbits - druid spellcsting is more powerful, and totally overhauled, and all spells are castable when in morphed form, unfortunately you still cant cast oskills in morphed form.

NECRO - 100%
Necro skills are currently being worked on, only poison and bone tab have yet to be completed, but playtesting is being done to verify that the other two tabs are working as designed. Graphical updates will be upcoming.
Necro spells done, they were the hardest to do, but I am happy with them in the end, only minor tweaking needed to put on the finishing touches.
tidbits-2 golems are summonable at one time, and all summon masteries are wrapped up into one skill, called ta-da Summon Mastery. Necros have the only pre-req, summon mastery needed to get any summoning spell

ASN - 15%
Planning is complete on assassin skills, but no modding has been completed yet.

PAL - 20%
Paladin skills are beginning to be worked on, research on new skills has started. Planning now done, major chanegs to combat tab (FOH and HB and charge will be removed). Paladin skills are on the block, and I am working on them as we speak.
tidbits-auras will becoming more powerful, since only one can be used at a time bonuses will be added to make your decision of which aura to use alittle more difficult. Blessed aim is being removed and replaced with a lifeleech aura ;)

BARB - 10%
Barb skills are planned now, check out PK's skills technician's forum, soom he will impart his wisdom unto me on how to create Meteor Strike/Leap for barbs. Berserk does random damage type now. Only one skill in game does magic damage and no monsters are resistant to it.

AMA - 5%
Amazon skills have yet to be determined. Looking for ideas! Some planning arleady done for spear and javelin skills, which will definately change how amazons are played dramatically.
tidbits-will be removing fire/ice arrow if you have any ideas for replacements, feel free to post. Confusion spell is new to amazon, and they have lost slow missiles and decoy and charged strike to other classes. The planned spear skills are looking nice

Check out my album page for current screenshots.
album_usercp.php?user_id=7474

-Mishy23

EDIT:
Still looking for skill ideas for Amazon bow skills, Barbarian passives, and non-trap Assassin skills.
Last edited by mishy23 on Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
{Modding status: Project X}

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:03 am

I wanna know the mechanics of the skills. I saw you had some new necro skills posted, but no info on how they worked.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Re: Skills update

Post by mishy23 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:18 am

Hehe I wanted to keep them a little secret, so ppl can have fun seeing them in game: But nothing to complex, i'm not a guru at skill creation like some of the members around here.

Okay heres a brief summary, and i'll put * if skill is not 100% done and may change.

NOTE: no spells do magic dmg anymore, and most necros are poison, some do damage over time period, others do flat poison damage likt how fire and lit damage is, basically means poison damage all done on first frame

Necro - Poison & Bone spells

Poison Darts - variation of teeth, poison damage, just graphic change mostly
Poison Orb* - You've seen this in action a bit but its changing, so that it targets corpses and fires from there, firing a frozen orb like missile.
Infernal spear- based on molten boulder, does poison and physical damage and explodes for some fire damage. Spell is alot faster than MB, so it does feel alot different, more like a powerful frontal attack spell, doesnt knock back as much as MB either, larger explosion radius, pretty much complte, but want to touch up graphics, its using the graphic of the flying spirit head from when baal dies.
Poison mastery - basic damage boost for poisons spells for necro
Blood Spirit*- based on erruption (or fissure) instead of vents creates smoke swirls that deal small fire damage, and each swirl will release a bone spirit like attack that does poison damage. I'm really hoping to get this one done soon, i'm tinkering with it as we speak.
Unholy Shadow-necro aura, its basically a clone of holy fires, but causes poison damage in aura range, and adds poison damage to attack, it may be too strong, need to test for now. i am against mana draining auras though, so not sur ehow to balance yet.
Poltergeist - based on thunderstorm, ghosts individually target monsters and do poison damage, longer delay, but longer duration, make this a nice cast and forget spell for necros, works well in a minion build

Other skills staying in game: Poison Nova, bone wall, bone shield.

Other skill tree changes:drain life [new curse, drains monsters life, hp lost does not occur until they are first hit, so sort of like open wounds really], Summon Lich [summon doom knight like skeleton, that can cast bone armor, bone spirit, and cast some curses] Summon Mastery [skeleton mastery, golem mastery, and summon resist rolled all up into one, i could barely fit all the info in the skill description!!!] Soul Vines [corrupted form of solar vines, giving necromancers a source of mana regen! At the cost of corpses, which is more important to you?]
Other notes: Curses are no longer 1 point wonders! Most start off weaker but can become stronger in the long run, ex. Amp now is -50% Phy resistance, +5% per level (level 20 would be -150%!)

I'll post druid and sorc stuff tommorrow, gotta catch some zzz's
Sorc cold spells had biggest change imho, but alot of spells changed graphics even if they didnt change in mechanics, example, chain lighgtning had graphics updated to look like diablo lightning, and for some reason its just more fuun to use now ;)

-Mishy23
EDIT: tommorrow...

Druid skills - Elemental spells
firestorm- same name, new spell. claim is like charged lightning useing flames that move across the ground, this new skill originally named dancing flame, was changed to keep in theme with druid having weather skills.
acid rain - sorcs lost blizzrd, cause druids stole it and turned it into acid rain, this version is weaker than blizzard, (blizzard imo was way too uber in vanilla) it still does cold damage by radius is larger, meaning shards dont fall so close together allowing some mobs to safely skirt through the storm, graphic change to a slightly greenish blue shards.
avalanche - acts like asn trap, ice version of there inferno trap, only shoots one time, for higher damage, though you can have many! set down at one time.
weather mastery - yes a passive for druid spells, sorcs wont be the only uber spellcasters.

Skills still in game: fissure[neat new graphic], twister[cold/phy damage now, more than 3 twisters possible], cyclone, armageddon[faster], hurricane, volcano.

Other skill tree changes: Spirit of nature [new spirit replaces worthless SoB, top secret], Corpse explosion [druids learned this ability when necros stole Solar vine, higher lev req]
Other notes: # of summons increased, start off less, but with more levels increases (ex-spirit wolves may gain up to 7! but you do not gain one each level in the beginning). Werebear form gains a slight IAS. Lycanthropy grants a passive life regen when in morphed form.

Sorcs will come tommorrow...
Last edited by mishy23 on Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:51 pm

I may just have to reinstall D2... Lol. Everything looks great Otto. I've seen this mod blossom from a wee little project, into a full fledged ass kicking etc etc adventure.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:49 am

SORC spells descriptions:

Sorc Cold Spells
Absolute Zero- In my opinion A really fun spell to play with, a cold blast looking like artic blast which shoots off and acts like a sort of chain lightning bounciong off enemies and chilling them, not as powerful as chain lightning, which is quite uber in this game, but very effective.
Ice Wall- Firewall meets the ice age. This standing wall of ice never growths in length but it does hurt and chill anything that walks into its path, this is a serius damage spell thats easy to target, damage is done over time.
Ice Familar- A familar summons, trust me, you want to pump this up, you'll have to do this to find out why.
Ice ball- This creates a globe of ice that tracks down a single enemy doing high cold damage, based on bone spirit to give you an idea
Ice bolt- major upgrade, this spell freezes now, AND looks cool ;)
Spells still in game: frozen orb new graphics, same old power...shiver armor low level now, but infused with alot more cold damage, this is almost offensive now...Cold Mastery now adds extra damage, you'll have to find piercing on the runewords...Ice Spike renamed glacial spike, slightly larger radius...frost nova new graphic alone begs for it to be used...

Sorc Fire Spells
Flaming Orb- Why do cold sorcs get all the fun, this frozen orb clone doesn't chill, and does alot less damage, but it will tide you over as you get this spell at level 7 (see edit below)
Flamethrower- A new fire spell that shoots a gout of flame, basically I dislike inferno style spells, but i do like the effect, think of this as an inferno you dont need to hold down and fires a stream of flame.
Spell staying in the game: enchant adds critical strike aslo!!! Hydra gains longer duration per level again...meteor *BOOM* nuff said...Fireball Larger radius, level 2 spell? what more can you ask...Warmth more passive bonuses, health regeneration, stamina regeneration, well you just regenerate better...Blaze stronger and better...Fire Wall Well we all like burning things to a crisp...

Sorc Lit Spells
Electricity Field- assassin like trap skill, throws arcane orbs to the ground, causing it to spark and dmaage all monsters that walk on it, a nice low level spell that might stick with you the whole game.
Spell staying in the game:Chain Lightning now how it should have always been...Charged Bolt Not much different, but more damage...Lightning bolt can't get rid of this staple...Static Field This spell is now a higher level spell, because every sorc knows its strength...Teleport now a low level spell, but timer delay makes it unspammable, some areas are teleport resistant, i've heard this is a hassle in a certain level 2 cave...Nova With more monsters, area effects are more powerful, can you afford its mana cost??? Thunderstorm well I just like this spell as my first sorc maxxed it out back in the day, so it stays...Energy Shield now naturally decreases its own mana lose, like a built in telekenesis...

ADDED NOTE: Skills are gained at different levels now, with the speed leveling to level 8, the level curve is different in this mod, so the skills are changing to fit the curve, you can;t get a skill at level 1 anyway so first skills are gained at level 2, and then each 7 levels you gain the next tier.
So skill tiers are levels 2/7/14/21/28/35.

-Mishy23
Last edited by mishy23 on Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:08 am

Damn Otto, you had better release this soon lol. I'm pretty anxious.

Silverfire

Post by Silverfire » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:43 pm

Aren't we all? This is looking quite goood.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:57 pm

Well I got hung up all weekend on trying to get blood spirit to work, and basically I cannot spawn bone spirits from another missile and still keep intact the homing ability.
So I went back to the drawing board, unfortuantely I lost alot of modding time to this, but I still hope to be done Necromancers given a couple more days.

If you read the skills technician forum, he also accepted one of my questions on how to add meteor strike, and i am anxiously awaiting for the forums skills master to post his replies ;)

Meteor strike is a barb attack that will replace Leap attack, it will be a similiar style jump attack, that causes meteor explosion when the barb hits a target.

All classes skills totally designed now except Amazon, so that will speed up the process.

-Mishy23

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:31 am

Are you planning on releasing maybe a preview version?

icefrosty99

Post by icefrosty99 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:04 am

I hope so, that would be cool. :D

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:56 pm

Well I hadn't thought to create a preview version, was gonna to have one person play test things, but i'm always happy to make my fans happy.
So if there is an interest I can pull something out of my magic hat.

Let me know who's interested and I will put a preview version together, this versionw ill not be compatible with the normal mod, it would be a stripped down version without runewords, I can make it so you'd pretty much level every kill so you would have tons of skill points to play around with, to play with the new skills.

This might be beneficial in flushing some bugs out of the system too.

Well post here if your interested and i'll decided whether to set something up in the next couple days.

First preview would be SORC/NECRO/DRUID skills only.

-Mishy23
Last edited by mishy23 on Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icefrosty99

Post by icefrosty99 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:06 pm

I am interested in doing that.

Silverfire

Post by Silverfire » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:10 pm

You know i'm interested reguardless :P

P.S. I got first dibs on necro ^_^
Last edited by Silverfire on Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:26 pm

Nod, sorry I didnt get back to you silverfire, I was busy all day yesterday, didnt get home until way after midnight my time.

I might cancel the skills testing ine xchange for setting up this preview version, and you definately get dibs on the necromancer, though it is the necromancer holding me up with some of its skills.
I still haven't been happy with my new version of Bone Spirit, which is a lv18 spell. Any ideas since you seem to like necros Silverfire?
Currently I have a version of tornado with bone spirit graphics, and while it is sorta powerful, I just don't like how blah it is. Its holding me up.

Also here are some changes (I change my mind alot)
Sorcs are gonna lose thunderstorm, as I am giving assassins a version of this called etherstorm. I will probably be replacing thunderstorm with a spell called either Ball of Lightning/Thunderstrike.

Otherwise all I have left to do to finish necromancer is alot of skilldescs, as they are not coming out as well as I wished. Poison is no fun to display damage with :P

I haven't been getting much work done all week, but I feel that is about to change tonight.

-mishy23

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:46 pm

I got dibs on sorc.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:03 am

Well i'm making some ground on alot of things, but I still can't decide
on how to change :
Bone Spear and Bone Spirit
So suggestion greatly needed.

I couldn't get Summon Lich working how I want and with necros getting two golems, they have enough summons, so I think you'll like the next two changes:
Necromancers gain Apparition spell (stolen knowledge from amazons, can you guess what it does?)
Necromancers lose confusion, and gain Slow Missiles

-Mishy23

Silverfire

Post by Silverfire » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:46 am

Hmm, on the idea of bone spear and bone spirit. Lets see, you could always have them be more shadowy.. personally the thought of having a line of black spikes jabbing out of the ground seems pretty (think act 5 monsters as the graphic)

On bone spirit, hmm, if there was a way, an interesting thought would take the fun mp drainer ability from the {filtered} you off phantoms in act 4, change it to magic damage, and watch it go to work.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:56 pm

Great ideas Silverfire, I might use them other places as unfortunately i started working on new ideas before I read what you posted, plus I am keeping necromaners to be more of a spirit/poison base.
Here are the new spells they have that are working 100%:
Apparition
Haunting
Poltergeist
Infernal Lightning (consider this an ode to Star Wars, the dark side, hehe)

I am tackling a few small bugs, and finishing up ball of lightning,
and then i will be able to release preview version. Possibly before today is over.

I'll keep in touch.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

-Mishy23

Silverfire

Post by Silverfire » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:27 am

Well, keep in touch, we'll be waiting for this test version to see all these funny new skills ^_^

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:39 pm

Well the preview version is done and working, just need to type the readme up and upload it to the PK server.
I'll keep this updated with status.
(I might email the preview if ppl are impatient and i'm not too busy, just give me a shout via email (myrddhin23@yahoo.com, yes i'm lonely and no one emails me so i try to get ppl to email me anyway i can ;)

EDIT: okay files have been uploaded, we just have to wait for Phrozen to add them to the downloadable section of the forums.
Everyone excited? ;)
-Mishy23
Last edited by mishy23 on Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silverfire

Post by Silverfire » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:50 pm

Well mishy.. I think I can sum this up in a sentence.

The word of the moment is...GLEE!!!
:jump:
Gleeeee

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:35 pm

The night has come and gone here in the west, and unnoticingly the skills preview has been loaded into the FileCenter.

Download here:
https://d2mods.info//forum/dload.php?ac ... le_id=1177

And discuss here:
https://d2mods.info//forum/viewtopic.php?t=27064

Feel free to share any thoughts.
-Mishy23

Quick update:
Work is coming along on paladin skills, here is the preliminary scheduele of changes.
Skill Lost -> Skill name replaced by
Sacrifice -> Inquisition (melee skill, causes enemies to flee)
Blessed Aim -> Fervor (aura, +dmg to demons, secret bonus)
Charge -> True Faith (shield attack, with projectile)
Fist of the Heavens -> Heaven's Strike (top secret melee attack)
Holy Bolt -> Flamestrike (melee attack, flame pillar on attack)

Alot of auras will have secret bonuses, meaning after a certain level, they may suddenly start granting additional bonuses.
One example: Prayer starts gaining an AR bonus after level 5

-Mishy23

Silverfire

Post by Silverfire » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:01 am

An idea if possible, for barbarian, attach chance of % on attack or something to masteries.. it might be an idea that makes masteries be more than I wanna wield that weapon.

mishy23
Retired staff
Arch-Angel

Post by mishy23 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:17 pm

I'll probably keep the %chance to cast spells to the runewords, but no fear all the masteries have built in hidden abilities not unlocked until later levels (like after lvl 10).
Some examples, and none set in stone yet:
Axe mastery grants openwounds at higher levels
Polearm mastery grants IAS% at higher levels
Blunt mastery grants Crushing blow at higher levels.

And i'm thinking of other ideas, without making them over powered.
Stamina is probably gonna get a small regen effect,
Increased spd will effect fhr and faster blocking probably.
stoneskin will have a -pdr at higher levels.

Just realize, NM/HELL will be getting alot harder, to compensate for these nice skills and items available. Thats the biggest thing I havent even looked at yet, for anyone whos wandered into NM and thought it was too easy.

-Otto

Sir Xavius
Paladin
United States of America

Post by Sir Xavius » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:45 pm

I have some ideas on the mod you're working on.

I don't ever play D2 on the net, so as a single-player i often miss out on the experience of going thru the game with other folks. I had a suggestion for Blizzard that, should they come out with a D3, i'd like to see a character that can hire more than one hireling, perhaps for a daily fee. He would be like a general (or actually a Sergeant, since he'd be in the actual melee) who could command his troops as it were, like "Bring that to me" or "Stay close." You get the picture.

If a modder knows what he's doing, he can get nearly that same effect with maybe the Paladin or Barbarian, who can hire (summon) recruits based on his skill level of, say, Command. I don't know if you can make the recruit's AI any better than a skeleton, but at least you can call them up, equip them, etc. Perhaps you can use the graphics of the other hirelings for your summonables, though i don't know if that's possible. Whaddaya think?

If you don't have any interest in this, can you upload a primer on how us amateurs can put it together? I'm a Maccie, so no .dll editing...

I have other ideas, but for now i'm interested on your feedback of this subject.

Return to “Odin's Runeword Mod”