Godhead's Report

Information and teasers from the upcoming mod, Underkill. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here. Click here to visit the official web site.

Moderator: Seaular

No votes

Total votes: 0

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Godhead's Report

Post by godheadslament » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:31 am

I've got to say that this is a very promising (read: kick ass beyond comparison) mod, and it's still in EARLY beta. I have found a few things that I've PMed you about Seaular, such as the unique skull cap being named "An Evil Force". One thing I do have a bit of confusion about is crappy short swords with level 18 requirements because they have a +5 concentration 0skill on them. I love the idea of all the 0skills, but that sort of renders it useless, no? Other than that I haven't got much of a problem with anything so far. I've even completed the "key" set. I'm not going to give any spoilers in this lol. It's a great set, but my current set-up had it beat. Thank god for runeword scrolls.

the panther
Paladin

Re: Godhead's Report

Post by the panther » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:16 pm

i to agree that your mod is awsome, but the 2 original summing classes necro and druid have been downgraded quite abit could you posible make the druid be able to sumin both his bear and wolfs and the necro having higher damage skeletons because there just so week

and also the inventory screen seams abit funny and i cant click things proberly :cry:
Last edited by the panther on Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:55 pm

That's because you have to set the game resolution higher. It takes a little getting used to.

Seaular
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Seaular » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:24 pm

Are you guys seriously running it in 640X480? :) I had no idea that people still run the game in that resolution. I never changed inventory.txt for that resolution and I didn't make a new control panel for it either, but I'll cook something up.
the panther";p="200066" wrote: could you posible make the druid be able to sumin both his bear and wolfs
That was my intention from the start, but I totally forgot about that! :roll:

It's true that the Necro and the Druid got a lot of summons stolen from them, but I wanted to make sure that they each had a variety of skills so that they didn't have to be summoning/shapeshifting/whatever, I really hope to leave the option out there for any strategy to work well.

Yeah, it kinda sucks that Druid doesn't have Werebear and the Necro doesn't have Skelly Mages or Mastery, but eventually, throughout the course of the game you'll be finding items that bring back these old skills.
godheadslament";p="200052" wrote: One thing I do have a bit of confusion about is crappy short swords with level 18 requirements because they have a +5 concentration 0skill on them.
I know. :(

I have to really re-think how I want to approach this. What I really wanted to do was balance to characters more so that not only scepters/wands/staves had skills attached to them, but that each class had the opportunity to use those skills. It's kind of fun using Leap Attack as a Necro early game, but the skill requirements are messed up. (I did just get a little idea on how to make this a little better)

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming!

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:31 am

Well, I just hit level 40 and I've managed to solo my way to Act 5! Right now things are a little on the easy side, even with players 8 on. It could be that unique helm I have on...

Seaular
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Seaular » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:44 am

Yeah, um.. normally you're not supposed to have that. :/

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:57 am

Well, I discovered even without the helm I'm owning pretty damn decently. I've got maxed fireball, firenova, firemastery, and high level fire pierce.

Seaular
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Seaular » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:14 am

All maxed at character level 40? :)

Yeah, the difficulty is hard to adjust at the moment. Eventually more monsters will have immunities so that you can't necessarily put all your marbles in the same jar. And before I can crank up the difficulty I need to make sure that it's easy for every class, not just a fire sorc. I figured it would be better for the mod to test easier than harder, since a lot of the changes come deeper into the game.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:38 am

Is it just me or do Paladins have very few combat skills in their holy tree?

Seaular
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Seaular » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:56 am

Yeah, I pulled conversion, sacrifice, and holy bolt from his skill tree, but again, it doesn't mean that these skills are gone for good. The Paladin still has 6 combat skills plus the elemental auras which are practically combat skills in themselves. How often would you use holy bolt if it was there?

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:58 am

I use HB often when someone is tanking for me lol. That's about it though...

the panther
Paladin

Post by the panther » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:20 pm

yeah i didnt even relise i had it in 600x wat ever it is its because i've recently re-installed d2

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:54 am

Just hit level 61, and I've struggled my way through to A5 NM! I ended up having to go dual element (which was expected). However, I did find a rare scepter with a Meditation 0skill on it, and I equipped it in my secondary slot. After I used the skill and switched weapons back to my primary set, meditation was still active. I'm unsure as to why this is happening.

Seaular
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Seaular » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:28 am

Hmm.. Is it just the overlay staying on or is the skill still working as well?

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:11 am

I'm not sure... I'd have to strip myself of my gear to find out. Also, I can't seem to find the other piece of the two weapon glove set. I killed a monster and he dropped two green ones, and they were both the same. Later I gambled a {filtered} and only got the same one.

Seaular
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Seaular » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:53 pm

Oooh.. gambling, let's talk about gambling and money in general. How is the money issue, do you have way too much because of the raised selling cap? Do you not have enough because I kind of screwed around with the cost bonuses from skills?

How often are you gambling? What are you gambling for? Are you gambling for regular equipment too or just rings/amulets? Have you got any other sets/uniques from gambling? Have you gambled on any runes/socket runes? (Ok, probably not socket runes since I left them purchasable..) Have you gambled any runes/socket runes since Zero.One? I completely redid the way that those are gambled.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:36 pm

As far as cash is concerned, I usually only get gold from picking it up (high gf), or by selling an exceptional armor or two. I gamble almost as often as possible. Back in Zero I gambled for socket runes and regular runes as well. (Although even now every once in a while one will show up in the gambling screen). I've found a couple new set pieces and some uniques (no new ones though).

EDIT: A little update. My sorc hit level 80 and defeated NM mode, at which point I decided to retire her (for the moment). She was lucky enough to make a HOTO!

Started a barb, he's level 12 now. Good luck to him as he's going to be a puncher.
Last edited by godheadslament on Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seaular
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Seaular » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:48 am

godheadslament";p="200492" wrote: She was lucky enough to make a HOTO!
Ooo, nice. Just wondering where the Vex came from. Gambling?

A punching barb? That sounds great, I can't wait to hear your new reports. Again, I can't thank you (and everyone else ;) ) enough for playing through and giving me feedback.

I never expected anyone to be actually play through the end of NM difficulty this early in the development of this mod. I hope you had at least a little fun in the process (considering I still have a lot more to add). :)

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:55 am

The Vex actually dropped somewhere. I wasn't even really paying much attention until I saw "Vex Rune" lol. I'm not sure if the game itself is easy (in normal at least), or Sorc spells are just a little powerful... My barb is soaring through A1 with little to no trouble, but that could be in result of the gear I had set up for him. My sorc had absolutely no troubles until about A4 NM. From then on things were a little tough so I had to take off the players 8.

How difficult is it to find any new uniques? I have found ONE (not including the clone of the same unique I found in another game).

Seaular
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Seaular » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:03 am

Well, most of the new uniques are going to be harder to find since 80% of them are elite items that didn't have a unique to begin with (although not as hard as elite uniques used to be considering the increased drop ratio and the more magic find options).

But I also added several lower level uniques: charms/jewels/rings that shouldn't be too difficult to come across. In fact, I just gambled on a unique Grand Charm with my Spearazon.

I've realized that a lot of these new items are fairly high levels and will never be found by you testers, so I've been making a bunch more low-level Uniques/Sets/Runewords to include with the next patch of fixes.

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:06 am

Is there a new patch or anything out? My version doesn't have charms/jewels to gamble for. My sorc has almost 1k MF and hasn't found a single new unique (including gamble) and she's level 80.

DiabloClone16

Post by DiabloClone16 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:08 am

If you get a chance, I'd like to join the team and help out, this looks like a very kick ass mod if done right, and I would love to be even a small part of it!

Seaular
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Seaular » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:19 am

godheadslament";p="200854" wrote:Is there a new patch or anything out? My version doesn't have charms/jewels to gamble for.
Oops. No, there's not a new patch out yet although I think I do have enough fixes to put one out. The gambling on charms and jewels will be in that patch. I want to add a few more items before I put that patch up however, maybe tomorrow sometime?

If I had it my way I'd have a patch up everytime I fixed something, I hate knowing that you guys are playing something with bugs that I've already fixed. The problem is that if there's a new patch up every day it might make things cluttered and confusing? "Well I was playing Underkill Beta Zero.Fourteen.Tuesday.Blue and this happened, or maybe it was in Zero.Thirteen..."

godheadslament
Champion of the Light

Post by godheadslament » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:32 am

Well, just got my ass handed to me by Diablo Clone on hell diff. with my Sorc. Always good to end up wasting a hard-earned SOJ...

Seaular
Retired staff
Champion of the Light

Post by Seaular » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:43 am

Oh yeah, I forgot about him. Gotta love that PlugY. (Thanks Yohann!)

What do you think I should do about the big clone? I'm pretty sure I reduced the item level of the Annihilus so it's possible to get from a few other high level monsters (although you can still only have one). Should I make a new DClone only item? Should I give him a typical boss drop?

Return to “Underkill”