Burning Out?

Information and updates for the Pagan Heart mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderators: Phrozen Heart, Pagan Rainfall

No votes

Total votes: 0

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Burning Out?

Post by Phrozen Heart » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:38 pm

In a bizarre parallel with the apparent growing popularity of the Pagan Heart mod, I can't deny that my enthusiasm for Diablo 2 as a game is at a considerable low right now. Just to clear things up, this does NOT mean I'm giving up D2, cancelling the mod or anything else overly drastic (although I have contemplated both recently), I just may end up taking a short break from things in the near future to re-evaluate and attempt to rekindle my interest. Don't get my wrong, I do enjoy working on the mod and all the support and contributions we've been getting has been amazing, it just seems like the spark isn't there anymore, at least not at the moment. As such, v1.0 will probably be the last release for a while (with the exception of bug/balance patches) and my overly regular presence in this (and probably most) forums may slack off as well. I'll still stick around regularly to get this patch out for sure and provide support if/when needed but after that who knows.
If you want me to miss you, you have to GO AWAY first...

theonlymoose
Forum Regular
Angel

Re: Burning Out?

Post by theonlymoose » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:03 pm

We all need a vacation from something on occasion. I've been thinking about taking a break for a bit as well. I've been putting off some things as of late, so I think I will take a break. Not gonna stop playing completely, but not spend hours at a time playing. Maybe a small quest here, or play until the next way point, then quit for the day.

chipmanr
Paladin

Post by chipmanr » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:06 pm

Understandable, and it's better to take a break and come back interested than to keep slogging on when it just seems like work. That makes it hard to keep quality up and us whining bast.. er, tech analysts just get on your nerves. :P
Made with 100% meat by-products.

Vhaeghar
Champion of the Light

Post by Vhaeghar » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:07 pm

Alas, everyone has their enthusiasm wane at times... a break might do you some good =)

Brother Laz
Forum Legend
Dominion

Hand-picked

Post by Brother Laz » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:57 pm

I also noticed you posting in the Lurker Lounge's WoW forum... betrayer! jk

Well, this is about the point where the faithful D2 modders are burning out. Joel is on the verge of quitting, I have more or less given up modding out of boredom, and now this.

WoW is new and fresh and if you are lucky enough to be able to run it, play it until you get frustrated with it [but don't quit when you reach level 60, give the game at least two days!] or until Blizzard goes bankrupt, and afterwards haunt the Flagship building until HG:L is released.

Uninstall D2, delete your mod directory, and be free again!
19.may.2007 | Adun Tori Laz.
Median XL released!
Flesyht sa ruobhgien yht etah.

y dont u play the game the way its supposta be played? -SlothNathan

Sloth

Post by Sloth » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:19 pm

Everyone gets burned out eventually. The only thing to do is take a break. I think it's safe to say almost all of us have been playing D2 for it's 5 years, off and on. 5 years is a long time to remain dedicated and -still- playing. Creating mods makes it seem even longer and it just leads to eventual decline of motivation and enthusiasm to play it or create it. Still, i doubt you could deny still loving the game but all good things always come to an end. You've been a community organizer and leader a long time for the game. I've always loved this site, and it's talented minds. You, and most of the other "old" modders are much deserving of getting away. Well, you could have a total headache situation like me.. and having a car drive through your back fence! haha.. total randomness time. Well take care and hope your mind feels better and at ease over time. And remember, a fenced in yard by a roadside is -not- a drive-thru.

Xenast
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Xenast » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:45 pm

Do what ya gotta do big guy ;)

I think its gonna be a slow summer for modding on my end too. Summer months I plan to spend alot of time camping and visting friends, unlike the rest of the year when I spend my days with school/work/computer :roll:

OT: WoW is fun, but I got screwed over with it. Don't know anyone that plays and I am having a hell of a hard time leveling at 24.

Hades
Retired staff
Angel

Post by Hades » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:47 am

Well I guess it's my turn to post heh heh.First off,I dnt blame ya bud.As you may have noticed my mod's have not had any new updates for a bit as my modding has slowed down a bit.Not stopped but slowed,I need to gain momentum again a bit I suspect lol..
I loved playing your mod in the beginning but when I couldn't play multi any more I kind of lost interest.From my point of view,the multi player aspect was probably the best part of the mod aside from the kool stuff to gamble for and the awesome underdark levels heh heh.Great mod btw bud,glad to hear it's not stopped or anything and I sure as hell understand the need to take a break and see what happens.Either to rekindle the spark or get new idea's...or well to see if it is worth it.But whatever you decide on ...it's been a fun ride to see the mod expand and to see the Boss get back into it... ;)
Again maybe from the older players it seems like a long time but for some of the newbs out there it hasn't been so long since they ran out there and grabbed a copy of the game and now they're hooked.So maybe it's time for a bit of temperence and patience to listen to their questions and"remember"when we started playing the game.To them this is a kool new site with lots of kool mods to play.So take your time bud,and keep in mind it is a kool mod to play and you did a great job bud. ;) Excuse me..you and Pagen.... ;) And from all the attention your mod received it's obvious you are on the right track and whatever you decide ,hey it's all kool...everyone needs a break...and we all suffer burnout eventually.
Hmmm well after all this dribble bud,I for one hope ya get back onto this project after a hiatus but if not it,it at least made me play a mod again instead of modding heh heh. :cool:
And now off to try and rekindle my modding spark lol......
nuff said
Hades
Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years,
Face up...make your stand
And realise you're living in the golden years

Talol Padaes
Location: Slightly South of Hell, and a little west of the rainbow

Post by Talol Padaes » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:53 am

[ obligatory_tantrum ]
NOOO!!!!!
>SOB<
How could you!!! I've dedicated all my free time to this mod!!! you can't take it away!!!
<<<wails and screams and gnashes teeth in frustration>>>
[ /obligatory_tantrum ]

Sorry.. Had to be done by someone... :p

Now that's over though - Great job on the mod to both You and Pagan Rainfall, you guys made a Mod that will be a challenge for experienced players for quite a while and will continue to draw players despite your hiatus, i'm sure...

Until recently I ran a Medieval style Live Combat game (beating on people with foam-padded swords/maces/staves/etc) and after 2 years of being immersed in it I finally decided it was time to tak a break. So I started playing D2 again and found your mod. :mrgreen:

I thoroughly enjoy this mod... Vanilla D2 got kind of boing when no mater what kind of Character I created I couldn't get past Act 1 Hell, so i started playing mods, and I have to say that PH is definately my favorite. It's well planned (love the BoLs!! backstory is great!!), well balanced (no killing everything in sight with Level 2 teeth, and leveling every 30 seconds), and has lots of VERY cool stuff!!!

I look forward to your eventual return, and wish you good times in your meantime pursuits...

:beer: <-- For You
@>-`--,--`--,------- <-- For Pagan Rainfall

~Talol Padaes~
Last edited by Talol Padaes on Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=694269]If ever I plan to conquer the World, I will hire a group of 10 year old children to point out flaws in my plans BEFORE I enact them[/color]

ffej311
Paladin

Post by ffej311 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:35 am

I just want to say good luck with you future endevours Phrozen. We all need a break some times. I just got off mine ;)
I loved playing your mod in the beginning but when I couldn't play multi any more I kind of lost interest
THat was my reason too. Ill be anxiously awaiting your return and updates for this great mod. PH has been my favourite so far.

Good luck

InnerChaos

Post by InnerChaos » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:36 am

Yeah, interests do fade and D2 has been around for a good bit. I'm even having trouble starting a new character as I don't seem to be interested in traveling through all the acts again. But, nonetheless, best of luck with whatever you persue. Hope to see you around from time to time. :)

Aurelianus

Post by Aurelianus » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:03 pm

Oh, are you waiting for Diablo III or ....

..Shall I open your Hellgate....? :)

MORE Fresh Blood.... need transfusion into your vain.

More blood means more interest in next generation games.

We are ready, for them. New mods and new adventures await us.

Furthermore Have a rest, but be prepared. :twisted:

You served well the community. Great Work!

Wurcker

Post by Wurcker » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:14 pm

well i only just started playing the mod. and now your leaving! anyway im hooked so if you do come back expect me to be here. this is a short one coz i have college work i shoooould be doing but i ain so dont let me play the mod...or i wont be back till at least 4 am....,neway take a break, have fun, come back after a month or so n see if we r still here. if we r you know your onto a good thing, plus this is like the only active mod i can find so keep it up! lots of contradictions there but its late at night so who can blame me. go you guys!

Ulthrion
Paladin

Post by Ulthrion » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:08 pm

Well, he took a break half a year ago already and recently the forum has started to get slightly more lively again, and I think Phrozen's interest is at least a little bit back judging from the fact that he posts here again :). Just don't tie any conclusions about new version of the mod to that statement I think.

EDIT: And welcome to the PaganHeart mod! Enjoy yourself with the riches of new items, monsters, area's and NPC's :)

Farseer Ulthrion
Last edited by Ulthrion on Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pagan Heart”