[build/blog] Fire Claw/Rabies Druid

Information and updates for the Pagan Heart mod. If you have any questions or suggestions for the mod, please post them here.

Moderators: Phrozen Heart, Pagan Rainfall

Ulthrion
Paladin

[build/blog] Fire Claw/Rabies Druid

Post by Ulthrion » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:13 pm

Okay, as you might have read in the Underdark runner thread, I've started a new character and I'm playing it without any use of the items in my shared stash. The reason I wanted to build a fire claw/rabies druid is because some question their usefulness in especially the underdark on hell.

The idea of the build is a combat druid in werewolf shape using mainly fire claws and rabies as the main attacks (to make sure that I have 2 elemental attacks). I also plan to use Fury for a physical damage alternative and armageddon because it can be used in wolf for anyway and uses largely the same synergies as fire claw.

The entire game will be on /players 1.

Current Character:
Stats:
page 1
page 2
page 3

Fire Claw (level 6): 110-120 fire damage
Rabies (level 21): 381-409 poison damage over 4 second
Armageddon (level 3): 30-36 fire damage per second / 66-129 fire damage

Weapon 1 (thank you Nilhathak!)
Weapon 2 (for fury on weapon switch)
Shield (finally some resists ;))
Armour I wanted to get some magic find early on
Helm (what more would a werewolf druid want so early in the game?)
belt
boots
Gloves (-10 vit is a price, but the other mods are cool enough).
Amulet (found near Bloodraven, and still the best I found)
Ring 1 (decent I guess)
Ring 2

Normal, Act 1
Nothing really special here. A werewolf druid doesn't get any of the special attacks until level 12, so I used a double-handed weapon as soon as I could. Coupled with Feral Rage you can get through this act pretty easily. I placed no statpoints in vitality because 2 skillpoints in Oak Sage and some in lycantrophe gave me upwards of 200 life very quickly.

I did have some luck with the item drops here. I found a unique amulet in bloodraven's area (amongst others it gave +35 life, +25 mana, +6 maximum damage). In addition, somewhere near the forgotten tower I found Rennbuu's gloves. The skill triggers on this item are very helpful. I also found a druid staff with +3 to oak sage which is great on the weapon switch

Skill division was based on all the skills I wanted to use eventually, so one point in werewolf, and a couple (2 or 3) in lycanthropy for the added duration/life were the basis. One skillpoint in werebear, maul and feral rage for prerequisites. Two skills werer placed in Oak Sage for some added life for me and my mercenary. Finally, every elemental skill until level 12 got 1 point as well (for armageddon and fire claw synergy).

Normal, Act 2
Somewhere here I became level 18, so I could use fire claw and rabies. Like most skills, they are not that great when you only have 1 skillpoint in each, but when I reached level 20, I had three point in each and they were starting to hurt (although rabies also hurts my mana pool at 10 mana/attack). I found 2 skill potions right after eachother here (or was it in act 3?) and used it mostly to continue working on my rabies level. Also continued filling up the elemental tree for armageddon.

In terms of items I found Rennbuu's amulet, and with 2 parts of the set, I was a pretty trigger-happy druid. Especially the Confuse on striking makes some area's easy. Even more so when Rabies is damaging them as well.

Normal, Act 3
This is truely the area where Rabies shines. Especially in the Flayer Jungle there are enough enemies to spread, and with their relative low life, they actually die on the poison alone. It's still quite hard to time the attack, as rabies takes inflicts it's damage for 4 seconds, and after that, no-one is poisoned anymore. It also continue to drain on my mana so much that I'm starting to place more points in Energy as well.

The Counsel members were difficult as always, mainly because of the fact that my resistances are very very bad and the poison is killing me pretty darn fast. In addition, getting hit by armageddon isn't fun either. Still, there was nothing I couldn't handle eventually.

I found a nice unique blade with good damage, attack rating, and some cold and poison resists. Overall a good weapon that complements my current skills.

As for skills, I continued working on Rabies mostly (with the prerequisites for armageddon as well). Also placed one point in poison creeper because the synergy to rabies at that point was better than the added damage of a skillpoint in rabies.

Normal, Act 4
The enemies in this act are always more difficult than in the previous acts, and it shows. Rabies, although still dealing damage, now does considerably less and I'm starting to rely more and more on my mercenary and my fire claw skill. No extremely useful items were found here though, which made my life just a little bit harder.

Izual was a pain to get rid of. My still low poison resistance was making my attacks hurt me more than it hurt him, but after a number of deaths and numerous trips to town I eventually got him singled out, cornered, and his attention directed at me (with anti-poison potions to keep my poison resistance up, and constant use of healing potions). His life isn't too high, so he went down.

Entering the river of flame, Rabies suddenly became useful again. Many fire immunes made my fire claws useless. Luckily, the magmamen only needed one hit from rabies to die out of it. Still, being surrounded by fire elementals isn't too ideal either.

Diablo was a very hard and long fight though. My Oak Sage and henchmen didn't last long enough against him, and I finally started to run out of money for health potions and town scrolls. In addition, with low enough resistances to die from his lightning storm, and often not able to run away either because I was slowed I died many more times than I bothered to count. Eventually, I took the prevent monster heal sword that I found somewhere in act3 and used it to gradually take him down. No particularly good drops though, but the big man was out of the way, and we were on to act 5.

Normal, act 5
The beginning of Act5 is always relaxed, although it did pepper in that I really need to concentrate on certain skills and not spread the points out too much. With more and more reliance on my mercenary I moved the rennbuu's set to him and gave myself his amulet and gloves. I think this is for the better though. Area by area difficulty goes up, and faster than my experience too. My mixing of skills certainly is costing me damage output now, but on the other hand, I haven't found an area yet where I was slowed down considerably because I could deal with both the fire and the poison immunes.

I finally got armageddon as a skill, and the mana cost never fails to catch me by surprise. Short duration + high mana cost = large mana expendure. I got the skill on my way to Anya, and fire damage there is just a nice thing to have.

I made a new shield since I found some decent diamonds, so that I now, combined with the resistance scroll from the Anya quest, have some decent resistances. This is where I currently am, and I'm very much not looking foward to meeting the ancients in battle...

I finally did Nilhathak today, and I must say that it was an odd battle, but great fun nontheless. Rabies is starting to do some damage again, and the various Halls were a relief from the frozen river monsters (all that cold damage that slows you down...). My health was good enough to keep me alive against the charges of the dread knights etc. which made all the difference, and the magma golems (or whatever their name is) were dying in 4 seconds from my rabies again (which is good, as fire claws doesn't worl against them).
Nilhathak himself was also odd. His holy freeze aura and teleporting is a combination you don't want to see too often as a combat character. I had a lot of trouble getting any hits on him at all. Luckily, my cold resistance was up to par and I had enough health of my own to deal with the corpse explosions, so I could take him down bit by bit. Advatange is that rabies deals damage over 4 seconds time, and since I couldn't get hits on him any faster than that anyway, this was a pretty good skill. Other than that, armageddon and the Rennbuu's skill triggers also helped a great deal. A long fight that lasted at least almost as long as against Diablo, but with the difference that Nilhathak is actually survivable.
Question remains, was it worth it? It most definately was! Nilhathak dropped Regis' set weapon which gives +2 skills and +35 mana. Two properties I can really use to the best (as the druid is a skill fighter), and I'm looking forward to testing out my new weapon in the Frozen Tundra :).

The Frozen Tundra was next, and with my new weapon ready I was looking forward to it. The area itself has some of the nasty enemies (although there are much worse out there) with the armoured disciples and lesser raptors. The Raptors were poison immune, so I had to rely on fire claws, armageddon and my henchmen for that. But that was no real problem as with my new weapon my fire damage is pretty decent. In addition, rabies will infest anything it touches, and that includes poison immunes! They won't take damage, but they'll continue to spread it onto the yeti's and armoured disciples that are close. It's also great fun to infest a barred door or tower :-| and watch the desease spread to the enemies behind it, hehe... I also found a new weapon for my mercenary. He used to have an ethereal pole axe with +8 max damage, and I found an ethereal pole axe with 3 sockets now (also superior, but only +2 attack rating). With a flawless Jasper in there it also gave +8 max damage, and I decided to add 2 flawless sapphires in there too to give me some cold damage as well. Not the best in these regions, but it adds to the mix of damage types that are dished out.

Also in the frozen tundra lies the hidden factol, and rabies was awesome there. And with awesome I do mean AWESOME. The desease spreads through the enemies at high speed and all the rioters die of it. Only backdraft is that enemies need to survive your attack to be able to spread the rabies, but there are always harmoniums there that can do that job. As for the damage dealt, by the time the 4 seconds were up, at least 15 rioters and some harmoniums were dead on the rabies damage alone. These are the areas that rabies is meant for: the crowded areas.

I've found the waypoint in the Ancient's passage, but nothing worth mentioning has happened there as I've found it without too much trouble. The ancients themselves are getting scaringly close now, although my confidence is a bit up again. Although I have no doubt that the ancients will take care of every bit of confidence that I will build up until then.

Time to clean out the Ancient's Passage (actually, time to postpone dealing with the ancients themselves...). In teh Icy Cellar I found the Remorah's and their Queen, which I had almost forgotten about. Caught a bit by surprise here as I was already dealing with a big pack of Lords of Winter when the Remorah's joined in the fight. A quick retreat followed by a new (prepared) assault saw to the end of them. Ever since I bought the 2nd edition monster manual, the Remorah has been one of my favourite creatures, so I really liked the surprise here (although I knew that they were in the game). Someone from that combat had dropped a potion of skill, which was very welcome :).

I cleaned out the ancients passage without much special happening, so I went on to the ancients (with an inventory full of potions). After 3 deaths I got the feeling that they were doable, and as I went back to pick up my body I noticed that I was only a small bit away from levelling up. I went to teh frozen tundra again to get some experience and got that extra level.
Also, I bought +20% cold resistance gloves to temporarily replace my unique ones (as I wanted all the life I could get, and mine gave -10 vitality). I also picked up the Sylvan Warrior unique armour that I had found somewhere in act 3 if I remember correctly, but which I never used because I wanted to use the magic find on my current one. The ancients don't have drops however, and teh +5% poison skill damage and +10% damage on the armour were also welcome. I also bought my mercenary a +35 life armour to keep him alive a little longer.

With this new equipment and preperation I went to the ancients again. I don't know if it's smart or not, but I always tend to kill Honour first. I think it's because in the original game, the ancient there is the one with the least life and uses warcries that boost the other ones as well. My mercenary was actually alive when Honour died. To gather some life again, I started running around using potions on me and my mercenary and refilling my belt with fresh potions as well. Loyalty was next. He uses lightning skills which are always damaging, and coupled with armageddon my mercenary eventually died. I started running again to refill my health and discovered that Loyalty had only a little life left, so a few hit-and-run attacks later he died from rabies, fire claw and armageddon.

Although the ancients become progressively easier as you kill them, I was left with Truth, and there were 2 problems with him. First of all, he is fire immune, which means that Fire Claw and Armageddon don't do anything against him. The second problem is that he uses armageddon himself and 2 consecutive hits from that can kill almost anyone. This is where Rabies came in again. With a high rabies skill level and the new armour I killed off Truth eventually with hit-and-run tactics again. Initially I was waiting for him to stop casting armageddon for a moment, but that happened only once. After that he kept refreshing his skill so I was forced to run away from him anyway.

The ancients are now dead, I gained the level, and headed down into the Worldstone Keep. In the first level I got a great new weapon for my mercenary ... when he turns level 45 that is. Uthegental's Trident dropped from a cyclopse.
Level 2 of the worldstone keep was a bit harder because I encountered two packs of the berserker types. The first one was cold enchanted (ouch!) and the second one extra strong (ouch again!). Let's just say that getting surrounded by those minions when they get double swing going is not too high on my things-I-really-like-to-do list. I also found an ancient plague sensor here with +25% poison skill damage and -45% enemy poison resistance. I'm not using it now, but I'm sure that this one will come in handy at some point :). I found the waypoint eventually and the next target is going to be Baal...
Last edited by Ulthrion on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:53 pm

Now this is what I like to see :) I'll probably chip in my thoughts when I have a little more time. Glad you're still around anyway bud :D
If you want me to miss you, you have to GO AWAY first...

Ulthrion
Paladin

Post by Ulthrion » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:09 pm

Glad you like it. I have to say though that I'm making the same mistakes with this druid as I always do: I want too much out of him. I really need to concentrate on one skill at a time instead of going all-round. I would have an easier time probably if I didn't place the 11 skillpoints in the elemental tree to get armageddon (1 addition in fissure to increase armageddon's duration and add some fire claw damage). But I'll have to live with that now ;).

Farseer Ulthrion

cc
Paladin

Re: [build/blog] Fire Claw/Rabies Druid

Post by cc » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:38 pm

As one of those ridiculing the build in the other thread, I just wanted to say: nice writing and I'm looking forward to being proven wrong. ;)
"Niemand darf mir glauben, wenn ich lache oder weine,
Niemand darf von Zukunft reden, denn ich sehe wirklich keine,
Nur wenn ich die Augen schließe geh' ich jedesmal zu weit:
Es ist nur eine Frage des Momentes und der Zeit."
- Samsas Traum "Scherben bringen Glück"

Ulthrion
Paladin

Post by Ulthrion » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:11 pm

Time to head to Baal I guess. In the past, I've always had money problems when dealing with baal for the first time. Dying, resurrecting mercs, repairing and buying potions is all expensive, and I had no illusion that this time would be different. But I'm a patient guy, so I'll get through eventually. I've always been able to do so (alternatively, you could replace the word "patient" with "stubborn" in the previous part and it would also be true).

The worldstone keep level 2 is the first part of the journey. I already mapped the entire area the first time I got there, so I knew which way to go. However, when Ihave to deal with baal, I always clean out the entire place. I've forgotton to place portals on occasions, and it's always good if the way to your body isn't littered with nasty enemies. Anyway, I hadn't walked for 5 seconds when I found the first of the nasty encounters in this area. An extra fast Grim Disciple with his minions was blocking my way. Grim disciples can deal out enough damage on their own, but with so many and extra fast, they become true killing machines. After I dealt with them, which involved a quick retreat to town, I continued, turned a corner only to encounter a stone skin Grim Disciple with his minions. I must have all luck in the world to face two of the most dangerous enemies in this area. Same tactics, same result: one retreat to town and some dead disciples. And no decent treasure of course ;).

Worldstone keep level 3 was a breeze. The greater raptors are a pain, but they can be dealt with. In addition, the air elementals and the fire daemons (forgot the name, Balors I believe) all die relatively easy on rabies.

The throneroom is the final stage before baal, and the enemies here were also taken care of. The only irritating enemies here are the undead archers with their cold arrows. And maybe the magman's too, because a volcano right underneath you can get you into block-lock. Also, the goblin shamans with their curses are not too much fun either, especially if they follow baal's example and use decrepify. Ow, and how can I forget the Salamanders are also quite nasty with their charge ability. But for the rest, the enemies here were quite easy... ow wait, those are all the enemies :P.
But seriously, the area itself isn't that bad. Especially not compared to what was to come.

1st group of baal's minions: The death knights. Caught offguard by their speed, they cut my mercenary down mercilessly. I tried to run, but on my way to the portal, I was stabbed in the back enough to die a horribly painful death. What a great way to start the minions off: Die at the first pack, and have the entire pack standing over my body and close to the portal. Ow well, first things first: I bought my mercenary back and went through the portal. Picked up my body quickly, made a new portal away form the pack (they were busy killing my mercenary again), and went back to town to fix the potions in my belt again.
Better prepared now, I went back and eventually killed them all with relative easy. Their main weapon is truely being extra fast and having the ability to combine it with double swing. The idea is to get rid of them before they can swamp you in attacks ... but that's pretty obvious.

The Second pack was up, which is always fun: Armageddon for massive damage, and cold damage to slow you down from the skeleton mages. It did go relative easy though. My 75% fire resistance was a good help against the armageddon damage (although I still felt it). And with a couple of hit-and-run attacks as usual, they died.

The Third Pack: Ow yes, poison damage. My lowest resistance, and at 24% I wasn't too joyed about facing them. As expected, the poison damage was big, but so was my health. Luckily, the poison damage didn't last too long, so it allowed me to use hit-a-couple-of-times-and-run tactics and get back to full health with potions during the run parts.

Fouth pack: The big nasties. I have the most trouble with these guys with my paladin (on hell difficulty), so these were the biggest challenge I expected. In addition, when they were summoned, I found out that Belhifet was poison immune, the joy :-|.
On the other hand, my fire resistance was 75%, my life was high, and they are not too fast. In the end, they went down much much easier than expected. They were mainly attacking my mercenary, but healing could just keep up with the damage they were dealing. Rabies, armageddon and the occasional Rennbuu's skill triggers together got the pack down. That definately went a lot easier than expected!

Fifth pack: Ouch!!!! They deal their damage fast! Neither me or my merc could really soak up that amount of damage at all, and another problem with them is that they are difficult to get into small groups in the beginning. As with the first group, they were all around my body again, but at least the portal was in a safe place. I had to lure some away first, and two came. Unfortunately, I had to deal with them without any gear (my merc and skills alone). They died eventually, but they were still quite damaging with only two of them.
I managed to lure The Slayer (who's name really is an understatement of his methods) away from the body, and ran away from him, all around the area, to near my body again (approaching it from another side, knowing that The Slayer was no longer there). There were 2 minions with my body still, and I lured 1 away. 1 of his minions is considerably less difficult to deal with than 2. After that, I lured the last one near my body to me, and he was taken care of as well. I picked up my body, and immediately The Slayer showed his ugly face again.
Taking down The Slayer is not something you want to do in your spare time. It requires dedication, time, effort, luck and a whole lot of lightning resistance. My basic resistance was 69, which was obviously too little for the lightning enchanted + cursed combination (not to mention extra fast as well). Potions of insulation were the sollution I figured, and with 85% resistances you still feel it, but you can deal with it... of course, The Slayer also makes regular attack, does knockbacks and stuns you as well, but that would be the next thing to deal with.
I just placed a portal away from him and did hit-and-run-to-town attacks on him to restock. I finally got lucky and managed to get into a spot where he could not knock us (me + merc) back, and his lightning triggers also missed us. Once there, he went down quickly as healing could now keep up with his damaging. He still killed my mercenary eventually though, but I still had 9 life left when I killed him :D

Heading towards Baal, I found 1 more minion near the throne, but that was not a problem.

Baal
Ow yeah, he now has guards :-| . I should really learn to remember what I can encounter, especially since I've been here before on many occasions with my paladin.. ow well, I forced me to make a trip to town a bit earlier than expected. As I went back and killed the last of the guards, Baal decided that 1 Baal was not enough, and copied himself. So, back in town I was (I'll have enough trouble with Baal alone, let alone 2 of them). My mercenary died on the way to town though, and since he didn't last too long, and because I foresaw that I was getting some money problems I didn't resurect him now.
I switched out my gloves for +20% cold resistance gloves (to get to 75% cold resistance against his ice wave attack), and I switched my magic-find armour for the Sylvan Warrior again to get some extra damage. I also picked up the prevent monster heal blade that I still have, because if anything, I don't to see him regaining the life that I took so much trouble getting off. And off to Baal we go!

And back into town we go! Baal really loves himself I guess, as over the course of the entire battle, he copied himself at least 8 times, and I'm not even going to try to take 2 of them on at the same time.

My tactic against him was simple: cast armageddon before heading to him, maneuvre into a position where his ice wave wouldn't push me away too far, and start with rabies followed by fire claws. The tactic worked for the most part, except that rabies tends to miss a lot on Baal (probably his % to block or something).

Somewhere during the battle (I got him down to around 25% health I think) I ran out of money. No more potions in my belt and inventory, and no more money to buy them either. I decided that a quick trip to Shenk would be the easiest and safest way to get some money, and I was right. I got myself a nice 7000 gold from the drops at that area and started buying potions again. Which reminds me: why do I have to pay for them ayway? I'm saving the world for these people, and they ask money for the few (okay, truckloads actually) of healing and mana potions that I need to do that for them... But I think that everyone has had these thoughts at some point.

Anyway, back to Baal: I continued to use the same tactics, and I neared the end of his hit points this way. I also neared the end of my money again though ... It's amazing how fast you can burn through 7000 gold with the prices these people ask for the things you need to save their lives... anyway, I had no potions and money left, and baal had hardly any life left. I had to use the free healing in town then, as I still had some 8 town portal scrolls. Same tactics as ever, except without healing myself. Baal went down after my first trip to town this way, and Normal was over.

About Baal's drops: They were pretty worthless for the most part (only rare items and one magical, no sets or uniques :(). They could be sold though for a combined total of 15000 gold, so I had some starting money again.
The only thing that was useful was a new armour for my mercenary if he can grow up another 8 levels (or for me maybe) so that was disappointing. But at least I have normal finished now...

Next episode: Will the Den of Evil Prove to be a Nightmare as the difficulty increases and BurningDesire continues his quest along familiar ground?
Last edited by Ulthrion on Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Phrozen Heart
Retired Admin
Throne

Hand-picked

Post by Phrozen Heart » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:20 pm

I really need to make time to give this a suitable reply but in the meantime, I'll just say keep up the good work :D

Anyone else willing to try out a "novel" build? ;)
If you want me to miss you, you have to GO AWAY first...

Ulthrion
Paladin

Re: [build/blog] Fire Claw/Rabies Druid

Post by Ulthrion » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:26 pm

Act 1: Nightmare
I would really like those 2 skillpoints from the Den of Evil quest, but first things first: The Forlorn Wilderness. Although I could very well run around the enemies and straight into the Den, I want to check out exactly how difficult Nightmare is.
The Forlorn Wilderness has Zombies and Skeletons running around, and both are reasonable to deal with. The zombie minion packs can be quite strong however, especially since the packs that I encountered were fire enchanted/extra strong and spectral hit/extra strong. Also rabies doesn't do an aweful lot against the zombies, which is probably a combination of their high HP and decent poison resist. But with fire claws, armageddon and my mercenary there is nothing that doesn't die eventually (although I did get caught off guard by the power of the first minion pack which was fire enchanted/extra strong for which I needed to retreat once).

I did find a nice 4 socketed mothril plate mail which had a few defence more than the one I was wearing. In addition, I found a chipped Helidor (I believe, the nightmare variant of the topaz) so I placed that one, a perfect topaz and a rune which gives +5% resist all into the armour, leaving the last socket for if I find another nice mf rune or gem.

Den of Evil
There's not too much evil about the den of evil actually. The Carrion Crawlers die extremely fast of a single rabies hit, and the skeletons and bugbears are easy enough to deal with as well (although the bugbears can dish out some nice damage if you let them live for too long).
At the end of the Den are the Undead Orcs which are a bit more powerful than the rest in the Den, but after having to retreat once from them due to their high damage potential, I found that they were fragmentated already so I could deal with them one by one. The Den of Evil went a lot faster than I thought, and I got the 2 skillpoints for the creeper to synergise rabies.

The experience so far in nightmare is not too bad. I'm not too sure if I'll go back to normal now, as it seems ok to me to just continue on.

Next time: To Bloodraven or not to Bloodraven, that is the question!
Last edited by Ulthrion on Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

boldie
Paladin

Post by boldie » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:44 pm

so are you not repeating areas to get more stuff/exp?
and youve probably thought of this but if theres enemies i cant kill, i use a constitution potion and a vampiric touch potion, works well :mrgreen:
nice story man, ive never used a druid but your making him look good enough for me to try out one day :)

Boldie
victormink@msn.com

"there is no spoone" - the matricks

Ulthrion
Paladin

Post by Ulthrion » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:59 pm

[quote=boldie";p="261254"]so are you not repeating areas to get more stuff/exp?[/quote]

So far I haven't except for the times I exited the game and the monsters respawned in the area with the last waypoint. I'm thinking about running Baal a few more times for some experience and items. The first time was quite nice in that a very good weapon dropped on the way there, and I think I can use the experience.

[quote=boldie";p="261254"]and youve probably thought of this but if theres enemies i cant kill, i use a constitution potion and a vampiric touch potion, works well :mrgreen: [/quote]

I didn't horde many potions with this character for some reason. I am now, because I'm planning to make me a tempered item once I find the right rune. When I find the potions, I take them with me and either use them or sell them at a vendor. But yes, that is a very good combination for combat characters to stay alive.

[quote=boldie";p="261254"]nice story man, ive never used a druid but your making him look good enough for me to try out one day :) [/quote]

Glad you like it :). The druid is a nice character to play with actually, although my favourite still remains the paladin. The druid has the advantage of stacking a number of powers. You have wolf/bear-form + lycanthrope + attack (+ synergies) + spirit + mercenary aura which stacks quite a bit. The backdraft so far is that the spirit and mercenary aren't reliable when you face the act-bosses, so you lose out quite a bit when you have to fight them. But they have great life from the start with the wereform and oak sage, so I didn't need to invest in vitality until level 30 or so, which allows you to increase other stats more (especially strength for nice equipment).

Farseer Ulthrion

Ulthrion
Paladin

Post by Ulthrion » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:43 pm

UPDATE:

Saving the world ... again
A small update. I was doubting between doing some baal runs first, or heading into nightmare immediately. In the end I decided that I wanted to do a single baal run and then go into nightmare.

I did the run, and the worldstone keep levels were going very well. With the notable exception of a group of champion disciples including one berserker (which cut down my mercenary in a few seconds), but after retreating to town I found that the group was split up in two (first one containing the berserker) and that the berserker was already down to half life (due to rabies), so they were easy enough to deal with at that time.

As for the minions before Baal, only the first and last group gave me some trouble (not that the rest was terribly easy, but they were very doable). Especially The Slayer is monster in it's own right. Even when using a temporary other armour giving me 81% lightning resistance, I was still feeling him too much to handle at once.

Baal himself was a little less happy on his copying, but he still did it a rough 3 or 4 times. Overall, Baal was a lot easier than the first time around, and with a potion of greed used right before I killed him, he dropped 2 set pieces and a unique (and 3 other non-usable items). The unique was a crossbow, which is of no use to me, and the set pieces were the viconia's sword which is also not really useable, and Sougard's Chaos Armour, which is not only a pretty decent armour in it's own right (albeit, it requires level 45, so it's in my stash for a while), but it also completed the set for me (that is, not for BurningDesire, but for my collection).

So the answer to my previous question "To bloodraven, or not to bloodraven" was not to bloodraven immediately, but now I'll have to anyway.

UPDATE2:
Back to nightmare:
Back in nightmare, I decided that I would start with the forlorn wilderness and the den of evil again first, to get a feel of nightmare difficulty and to get used to the fact that enemy-packs now spawn with 2 mods instead of one. In general, I thought it was best to let most of the killing to my mercenary, as he was already going 10 levels behind me, and I wanted to close the gap a little. Nothing really exciting happened here, except that my merc went up a level at some point. Still not up to what he should be, so I continued to leave to killing to him. Rabies helped with this in that I infected most new packs with rabies first, allowing my mercenary to kill them off faster, although there were a few enemies that died off the rabies itself.

I really liked the next area though, as it is somewhat more active than the forlorn wilderness, but the enemies are all pretty straightforward in that they charge or shoot at you and do their damage (and the warcry release that the wolf riders have). Which is a lot better for my sanity than the cursing, poison spells, cold arrows, armageddon skills and whatnot that you encounter at the end of act 5 normal. Not that this area is so much easier, but it's easier to keep track of you life, you merc's life, and what skills to use and when to use potions, because there are less things going on at any one time.

Xargh Calf-biter was the one enemy I feared a little as he tends to have a lot of life, and compared to the rest of the enemies in that area, he was indeed a tough nut to crack. But then again, it's nothing that couldn't be handled. Before heading to Bloodraven though, there was the underground area "The Cave" first. This area is pretty similar to the above ground version in that it's quite a fun one to play. At the end of the cave was Underlord Turback and his Neo Orcs. I was thrilled to find out that he had spawned with lightning enchanted. Not that lightning enchanted is such a relief to see, on the contrary, but I died the same moment I found out, and in his dying breath my mercenary killed off the Underlord, so at least there was no problem for me getting my body back. The underlord dropped the set belt Captain Yurst's Lash, which gives a respectable 20 to life and cold resistance. My mercenary, however, already has a belt that gave him 13 life and 30 cold resistance, so there was no use for this one.

Blood Raven
Back above ground, it was time to head to the Burial Grounds. Bloodraven was pretty much in my face when I entered the area, because she was the first enemy I encountered, which left me with all the time to prepare for her, only not. Not that it mattered though because I wasn't getting any damage from her, so I looked at my merc's life, and he wasn't really suffering that hard either. She died and left some items in her wake which were pretty good for selling, but not much else.

In the area there are the Mist Horrors, which I was pretty curious about, because they are enemies from act 2, and in normal, they are extremely hard to get rid off. In nightmare, however, it seemed like they had a very low (or even negative) poison resistance, because they died harder on my rabies than any of the other enemies in that area. Not all too bad
:).

In the same area are the 2 Family Vaults. The first one was a pretty normal area where I continued to get some more experience for my mercenary. In the second Vault (Dimitrov's), I found the unique gothic shield "Daylight Shadow" which I won't use for now, but because it gives 35% magic resistance, it could very well come in handy when enemies start throwing bone spears and such (i.e. the summoner).

Now it is time to get to the stony fields and meet up with the shadow thiefs that lurk around the stones. Not that I look forward to meeting them, but it's another step on my way to freeing Cain, and get the luxury of having him identity my items again.
Last edited by Ulthrion on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pagan Heart”